HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Preds Free Agent Wishlist

Old
06-03-2008, 01:37 PM
oreilly22

vCash: 500
Preds Free Agent Wishlist

Every year since I've been a Predators fan it always seems like we get some decent free agents. This year, however, I kinda see how we can take a pass on any NHL caliber players. We should get some guys to play in Milwaukee in my opinion, but with so few roster spots available I just don't see this free agency being that realistically attractive. I mean everyone would like a Hossa or a Malone or maybe a Rolston or Huselius or Stillman, but honestly I think the first two will cost WAY to much for us and we might as well give some ice time to some rookies or something you know? Do you guys see anyone that we could realistically acquire in free agency? We'll probably need to trade some guys, huh? I know next year we can get rid of a lot of dead weight borderline 3rd liners and maybe we can be a little more active then you know?

oreilly22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 02:26 PM
Dave is a killer
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by oreilly22 View Post
Every year since I've been a Predators fan it always seems like we get some decent free agents. This year, however, I kinda see how we can take a pass on any NHL caliber players. We should get some guys to play in Milwaukee in my opinion, but with so few roster spots available I just don't see this free agency being that realistically attractive. I mean everyone would like a Hossa or a Malone or maybe a Rolston or Huselius or Stillman, but honestly I think the first two will cost WAY to much for us and we might as well give some ice time to some rookies or something you know? Do you guys see anyone that we could realistically acquire in free agency? We'll probably need to trade some guys, huh? I know next year we can get rid of a lot of dead weight borderline 3rd liners and maybe we can be a little more active then you know?
I honestly don't see us being big players in free agency at all UNLESS it's to resign Dan Ellis and with each passing day I don't see that happening

Dave is a killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 02:47 PM
dulzhok

I seriously doubt we bring in a big name. Likely, we don't bring in anything. What I want, though:

Trade Zidlicky. I think he could bring in something serviceable in return.

I'm still in favor of shopping Suter to see if the right return comes in (foward with top-line potential).

Dump Devries to anyone that will take him.

I'd like to get a decent veteran D (better than Devries or Zid). These guys will probably get around 1-1.5m, and I think would be an improvement in the defensive zone:
Mark Eaton
Jason Cullimore
Aaron Miller

Re-sign Dan Ellis! Resign Gelinas. Dump Smithson and Ortemyer if at all possible. And of course, dump Chris Mason.

Possibly consider Marcus Naslund or Vinny Prospal, but only if the contract is right.

Trade Weber and Radulov, but only if it's for Malkin

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 02:54 PM
oreilly22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a Killer View Post
I honestly don't see us being big players in free agency at all UNLESS it's to resign Dan Ellis and with each passing day I don't see that happening
Yeah, I agree. I think it would be nice to sign Dan Ellis, but it is time to let the future finally take over imho. I believe that we've had Rinne in Milwaukee long enough and he's earned a shot at the bigs. Honestly he was probably ready last year, but I think we didn't have a goalie that we were going to trust to carry the load in Milwaukee yet, not to mention just making sure his shoulder would hold out through the whole season. Rinne is an absolute beast of a goaltender, and probably and everytime Ellis let in a roofer in the Detroit series, I was like "You know what? Rinne is so skilled and so tall for a goaltender - He would have had that." Plus Ellis is probably looking to cash in like Mason did from last season and I think Poile learned his lesson about the potential of a one - hit wonder goaltender. Ellis also comes off as the selfish type who always wants the net even when he's doing badly. I mean we call up a goaltender from Milwaukee after he's been pulled for the freakin' fourth time in like five games and pitches a fit about it. So I say do the easy thing and let Ellis walk and let Rinne (who will almost surely win) and Mason fight for the #1 job at training camp. Just my two cents.

Old
06-03-2008, 03:00 PM
Bruins78

Bruins fan, any chance you guys would move Dan Hamhuis once Suter and Weber are resigned? Not sure if a Zach Hamill, Schaeffer 2nd round pick combo would be enticing at all...I know hamhuis has a reasonable contract and you would rather move Zidlicky...but if there were no takers for him?

Bruins78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 03:06 PM
oreilly22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins78 View Post
Bruins fan, any chance you guys would move Dan Hamhuis once Suter and Weber are resigned? Not sure if a Zach Hamill, Schaeffer 2nd round pick combo would be enticing at all...I know hamhuis has a reasonable contract and you would rather move Zidlicky...but if there were no takers for him?
Man Zach Hamill! I don't know though, Hamhuis is our best defenseman and he is almost for sure not on the trading block. I really like Hamill though. You guys wouldn't be interested in something like Klein and Koistenen for Hamill would ya?

Old
06-03-2008, 03:32 PM
Bruins78

Quote:
Originally Posted by oreilly22 View Post
Man Zach Hamill! I don't know though, Hamhuis is our best defenseman and he is almost for sure not on the trading block. I really like Hamill though. You guys wouldn't be interested in something like Klein and Koistenen for Hamill would ya?
I think we need a top 4 ready d-man and with Bergeron, Savard, Krejci, Sobotka, Nokelainen, Hamill and Brad Marchand there is some depth up the middle (Kessel has also played center as well as Soderberg if he comes over...although he is likely a wing now). Hamill did not have a great year in the W but looked good in a short AHL stint. I always like Hamhuis game...one of the few d-men who seem to be able to play in all three zones, make an outlet pass...does he get much PP time with Zidlicky, Suter and Weber? I noticed his best point production was a couple years ago.

Old
06-03-2008, 03:37 PM
oreilly22

Quote:
I think we need a top 4 ready d-man and with Bergeron, Savard, Krejci, Sobotka, Nokelainen, Hamill and Brad Marchand there is some depth up the middle (Kessel has also played center as well as Soderberg if he comes over...although he is likely a wing now). Hamill did not have a great year in the W but looked good in a short AHL stint. I always like Hamhuis game...one of the few d-men who seem to be able to play in all three zones, make an outlet pass...does he get much PP time with Zidlicky, Suter and Weber? I noticed his best point production was a couple years ago.
He doesn't get a ton of PP time, Zidlicky and Arnott pretty much were our powerplay this season. I think he's pretty much tapped out at offense, but defensively he is great.

Old
06-03-2008, 03:41 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Wish list? Ok, their own FAs.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 04:02 PM
oreilly22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Wish list? Ok, their own FAs.
Mmmmmm...... other than the obvious resigning of Suter and Weber (which nobody should seriously be that concerned about since Poile said he'd match any offer sheet) The only FAs that I would be interested in signing that we have the rights to are Milwaukee guys and maybe Hlavac. We don't need to keep being tyed down with average players while teams in our own division like Chicago and (if the rumored Marleau deal goes through) even Columbus get so much closer to being more of a threat to unseat us from our 2nd place in the division, let alone our playoff spot. We need to keep some room open for some real finishers like Hornqvist and maybe trade for somebody or something. Objects in the mirror may be closer than they appear, and we're currently driving a Toyota Corolla and the guys behind us have Ford GTs or something.

Old
06-03-2008, 04:10 PM
predhead1

Quote:

Extremely unlikely that Hamhuis gets moved. He's arguably the best defenseman on the team and his contract is a sweet deal. The talent return for Hamhuis would have to be BIG in order for any trade to happen, and even then, from a salary perspective, I don't think the Preds would be willing to make a trade - just my opinion.

predhead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 04:32 PM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
I would have to agree that Hamhuis' salary is a major stumbling block for someone trying to pry him away.

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 04:41 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

I'm not sure we'll be big players in free agency...but i have a hunch we do something nifty at the draft to add scoring for next season.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 04:44 PM
Bruins78

Quote:
Originally Posted by predhead1 View Post
Extremely unlikely that Hamhuis gets moved. He's arguably the best defenseman on the team and his contract is a sweet deal. The talent return for Hamhuis would have to be BIG in order for any trade to happen, and even then, from a salary perspective, I don't think the Preds would be willing to make a trade - just my opinion.
I assumed as much...I figured the only way it could get done is if a young, cheap NHL proven scorer was going back.

Old
06-03-2008, 08:50 PM
echlfreak

regardless of your excuse...I hope Ellis lands somewhere else. He has proved himself with the season that he had and you guys are holding Mason's stumbles against him...there is nothing more he could have done...you tell me what more he could have done to earn respect from this team??? Give me one more thing he could have done???

You compare Ellis' stats to Mason's...but you fail to leave out the fact that the team Ellis had was the lowest in the league in pay roll, they did not have the likes of Kariya, Forsberg, Timonen, Hartnell etc...

Again I hope he goes to someone who might appreciate him for his talents and not burying their worries of someone else on his shoulders...if it wasn't for MAson struggling this season you guys would be looking at Ellis TOTALLY differently!!!

Maybe you guys can puts someone else's struggles on the shoulders of guys like Legwand, Erat, Radulov etc...

echlfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 09:05 PM
oreilly22

Quote:
Originally Posted by echlfreak View Post
regardless of your excuse...I hope Ellis lands somewhere else. He has proved himself with the season that he had and you guys are holding Mason's stumbles against him...there is nothing more he could have done...you tell me what more he could have done to earn respect from this team??? Give me one more thing he could have done???

You compare Ellis' stats to Mason's...but you fail to leave out the fact that the team Ellis had was the lowest in the league in pay roll, they did not have the likes of Kariya, Forsberg, Timonen, Hartnell etc...

Again I hope he goes to someone who might appreciate him for his talents and not burying their worries of someone else on his shoulders...if it wasn't for MAson struggling this season you guys would be looking at Ellis TOTALLY differently!!!

Maybe you guys can puts someone else's struggles on the shoulders of guys like Legwand, Erat, Radulov etc...
He could have been more consistent earlier when we kept having to pull him before we resorted to calling up Rinne. It really isn't fair to pin this on him - but that Dan Cloutier goal in the playoffs was pretty embarressing too. By his tone in the season ending press conference David Poile kind of sounded like he believed that Ellis could be the real deal, so I am probably wrong about this. If we could just trade away Mason, it would make it easier on us, but at least his heart is in the right place. He didn't complain at all when Ellis started to take over this year.

Old
06-03-2008, 09:21 PM
echlfreak

So between Trotz "the panic puller" and the FLUKE Lidstrom goal that is enough to take a pass on your best player in the playoffs and go with TWO UNPROVEN goalies...ok makes sense

It doesn't matter if you lose 10-0 or 1-0 a loss is a loss...not once this year did Trotz let either Mason or Ellis BATTLE through a game...everytime 2-3 goals were scored early he would pull the goalie...how many of those games once the other goalie went in, did they have about 10 shots the rest of the game...almost all of them. You need to let the goalies battle, even if they let in 6-7 goals otherwise if they let in 2 goals early they expecting to be pulled...instead of finding solutions to stop the puck

ps. this was the lowest payroll team in the league you can't put all the blame on the goalies...this team in general didn't come out to play until the third period...to get through the first and second was a miracle...but thirds were the best by far

Old
06-04-2008, 01:48 AM
Johnny8242

Send a message via AIM to Johnny8242
Don't see us picking up anybody really.

Want us to resign Ellis.

Johnny8242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 06:59 PM
nine_inch_fang

Quote:
So between Trotz "the panic puller" and the FLUKE Lidstrom goal that is enough to take a pass on your best player in the playoffs and go with TWO UNPROVEN goalies...ok makes sense

It doesn't matter if you lose 10-0 or 1-0 a loss is a loss...not once this year did Trotz let either Mason or Ellis BATTLE through a game...everytime 2-3 goals were scored early he would pull the goalie...how many of those games once the other goalie went in, did they have about 10 shots the rest of the game...almost all of them. You need to let the goalies battle, even if they let in 6-7 goals otherwise if they let in 2 goals early they expecting to be pulled...instead of finding solutions to stop the puck

ps. this was the lowest payroll team in the league you can't put all the blame on the goalies...this team in general didn't come out to play until the third period...to get through the first and second was a miracle...but thirds were the best by far
Um,,,are you sure you watched all of the games? Trotz did let the goalies battle through and at the beginning of the season they didn't do it. This led to the quick hook at the end of the season.

Old
06-04-2008, 07:40 PM
echlfreak

battling through doesn't mean pulling a goalie after 3 goals...it means you leave the goalie in until the end of the game and battle...even if it means giving up 6-7 goals....look at Tim Thomas in Boston, two games in a row they left him in while giving up 7 and 10 goals, and then they came right back with him the next game too. He knew it was his net and HE had to find solutions

Old
06-04-2008, 10:09 PM
nine_inch_fang

Quote:
battling through doesn't mean pulling a goalie after 3 goals...it means you leave the goalie in until the end of the game and battle...even if it means giving up 6-7 goals....look at Tim Thomas in Boston, two games in a row they left him in while giving up 7 and 10 goals, and then they came right back with him the next game too. He knew it was his net and HE had to find solutions
I know exactly what battling through means for a goalie. Trotz hasn't ever had a quick hook before this season and he didn't at the beginning of the season. But as the season wore on the playoffs were slipping away, Trotz's job was on shaky ground, and the goalies were playing awful so I didn't think they deserved the right to fight through.

Old
06-05-2008, 10:29 AM
echlfreak

You say that he didn't have the hook early in the season...What about when Mason played against L.A and got yanked and then shortly thereafter against St. Louis??? That was early if I remember correctly...and then against Montreal...and then...and then..and then...

Old
06-05-2008, 01:57 PM
Dave is a killer
Roll Wide Roll

I *WANT* Satan NOW

Dave is a killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 01:58 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
Dump Devries to anyone that will take him.

I'd like to get a decent veteran D (better than Devries or Zid). These guys will probably get around 1-1.5m, and I think would be an improvement in the defensive zone:
Mark Eaton
Jason Cullimore
Aaron Miller
You say dump De Vries and Zidlicky, but then you say go out and sign a defenseman who's missed half of the last two seasons (Eaton), one who wasn't signed until mid-season and almost went to Europe this summer (Cullimore), and a 36 year-old Aaron Miller?

I think we should unload De Vries or Zanon, but only if there is an upgrade available or someone that can contribute something we don't have. If we have the open spot, I'd like to pick up Bryce Salvador. He's not a top 4 guy but he brings a strong physical presence and he's reliable in his own end.

Up front, I'd love to see us make a bid for Jagr if he hits the market. He's really grown up during his time in New York and he would be GREAT for this organization both PR-wise and on the ice. But that's not really Poile's style. He's more likely to sign a guy like Jason Williams, coming off a shortened season but he's a dynamic offensive forward. If he can play wing, I think he'd be a great fit.
The other guys I wanted us to look at: Miroslav Satan (vet winger who can still score and deserves something for playing on Long Island for all those years and not losing his mind), Niklas Hagman and Michael Ryder (potential top six forward looking to revive his career after a terrible season).
I'd also like to see us play for Kolzig as a mentor to Rinne if we unload Mason and don't keep Ellis. All three of those events are pretty unlikely though.

I suspect we won't be very active in free agency for several years as a lot of our better prospects start coming into their own. We'll be looking for a top six winger this year by free agency or trade, two MIL defensemen, two MIL forwards and a starter for MIL (since Korn has said Dekanich won't be the starter for some reason).

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 02:00 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a Killer View Post
What do Pat Robertson and the French Open men's semi-finals have to do with Satan?

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote