HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Changing from right shot to left shot?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-27-2008, 01:15 PM
  #76
TheHMan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,426
vCash: 500
Spezza is right handed as seen here:



And shoots right



I don't buy into the theory that right handed people need to shoot left. If you're playing goal, I can see that as an exception because you can't grip the center of the stick. The situation is exactly the same with me, with a pitchfork, shovel, broom, golf club and hockey stick, I all hold them the exact same way. I'm an artist as a profession so the artistic theory kinda goes out the window there

TheHMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2008, 06:33 PM
  #77
Headcoach
Registered User
 
Headcoach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 746
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHMan View Post

I don't buy into the theory that right handed people need to shoot left. If you're playing goal, I can see that as an exception because you can't grip the center of the stick. The situation is exactly the same with me, with a pitchfork, shovel, broom, golf club and hockey stick, I all hold them the exact same way. I'm an artist as a profession so the artistic theory kinda goes out the window there
So what are you saying, you use a pitch fork with one hand? If you are using a goalie to compare with, then you have to do apple to apples. Have you ever seen a goalie shoot the puck? If he holds the stick with his right hand, chances are that he will slide the holding stick hand to the knob and place the catching glove on the neck of the stick for support and use that for the fulcrum point to shoot with. Check it out and see if it's so!

Head coach

Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2008, 06:43 PM
  #78
Mr BLUEandWHITE
Registered User
 
Mr BLUEandWHITE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,241
vCash: 500
I did this in golf. I started to play left handed and it felt fine because I shoot left in hockey. Then I played right handed in golf and it felt a little weird but my ball flight and accuracy was better. After a couple of rounds it felt natural. Granted I only played left handed for maybe a month not 2 years like yourself. Personally, I would not try to switch but if you really want to just play right handed at shinny and see if you get a better shot with time.

Mr BLUEandWHITE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2008, 02:34 AM
  #79
TheHMan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,426
vCash: 500
I wasn't using the goalie as a comparison, I was stating it as an exception as the stick-handling mechanics are different because of the glove. I can agree that the fulcrum idea works well for goaltenders, but it doesn't translate the same way to all skaters.

Funny you would mention holding a pitchfork with one hand, because I've done that on numerous occasions. If you've done roof repairs, you'd know what I mean

Back on topic though, when I'm holding a golf club my left hand is at the top and it really just used for stability. I've gotten used to swinging the club one handed, with my right hand in the middle of the grip, and my shot remains essentially the same. The reason I like the right hand is because it's closer and it gives you more of a direct influence over the puck. You could say my left hand serves as a pivot at the end of the stick rather than a fulcrum. I get a strong feeling that my right hand should be used for both power and control. It might not fit into the whole fulcrum idea, but if the technique is sound enough for a stick handler like Spezza, I don't see how it could be wrong.

TheHMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2008, 09:49 AM
  #80
Headcoach
Registered User
 
Headcoach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 746
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHMan View Post
I wasn't using the goalie as a comparison, I was stating it as an exception as the stick-handling mechanics are different because of the glove. I can agree that the fulcrum idea works well for goaltenders, but it doesn't translate the same way to all skaters.

Funny you would mention holding a pitchfork with one hand, because I've done that on numerous occasions. If you've done roof repairs, you'd know what I mean

Back on topic though, when I'm holding a golf club my left hand is at the top and it really just used for stability. I've gotten used to swinging the club one handed, with my right hand in the middle of the grip, and my shot remains essentially the same. The reason I like the right hand is because it's closer and it gives you more of a direct influence over the puck. You could say my left hand serves as a pivot at the end of the stick rather than a fulcrum. I get a strong feeling that my right hand should be used for both power and control. It might not fit into the whole fulcrum idea, but if the technique is sound enough for a stick handler like Spezza, I don't see how it could be wrong.

Well, I guess it not wrong,(so says the forum) just don't make a habit of holding the top hand next to you body and then pushing or shooting the puck with your bottom hand. Then you will not have any power in the shot. The whole concept is using leverage to your advantage so you do less work. That's where the folcrum on the bottom hand comes in.

Head coach

Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 08:49 AM
  #81
krax
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 238
vCash: 500
Was thinking about this:
Björn Borg, a swedish right-handed top tennis player in the seventies also played icehockey.

He was one of the first players to use the two handed backhand stroke (putting his left hand between his right hand and the head of his racket). Why did he do this? Because it seemed natural to him as a hockey player (he must be a lefty in hockey then).

I bet Rafael Nadal would be a hockey righty, because he's a tennis lefty with a two handed backhand stroke. Roger Federer would play hockey one-handed

So to get back to the original question: if thinking you should change the side of your hockey stick, would you also consider to swap your racket hand in racket sports?

Are there hockey righties out-there that play racket sports using their right hand? Or hockey lefties that play left-handed racket sports? And if so, did you first start to play hockey or the racket sport?

Hope not to be too confusing.

krax

krax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 10:26 AM
  #82
taloncarde15
 
taloncarde15's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Dallas, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 39
vCash: 500
This is an interesting thread, I am right handed and shoot right, but I've always preferred to play the left side of the ice. I haven't played in 2-3 years, and just now starting to get back and I'm tempted to pick up a lefty stick to try it out (My stickhandling has always been bad, and my shooting has been at best OK).

But I see the analogy now, I handed a hockey stick to my GF who doesn't follow hockey, or really played any sports and she (right handed person) immediatly held it as a left handed shot. I "corrected" her, but everytime I hand one to her, her first instinct is to hold it left.

taloncarde15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 10:29 AM
  #83
Ruhnie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Dallas
Country: United States
Posts: 76
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by krax View Post
Was thinking about this:
Björn Borg, a swedish right-handed top tennis player in the seventies also played icehockey.

He was one of the first players to use the two handed backhand stroke (putting his left hand between his right hand and the head of his racket). Why did he do this? Because it seemed natural to him as a hockey player (he must be a lefty in hockey then).

I bet Rafael Nadal would be a hockey righty, because he's a tennis lefty with a two handed backhand stroke. Roger Federer would play hockey one-handed

So to get back to the original question: if thinking you should change the side of your hockey stick, would you also consider to swap your racket hand in racket sports?

Are there hockey righties out-there that play racket sports using their right hand? Or hockey lefties that play left-handed racket sports? And if so, did you first start to play hockey or the racket sport?

Hope not to be too confusing.

krax
That's pretty interesting about the tennis swing, never thought about it. I've always played ALL sports right-handed, like tennis, golf, baseball, and hockey, and never even considered trying it left. Hockey was the sport I learned last btw.

Ruhnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2008, 02:22 PM
  #84
Phoenix
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 300
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosbyfan View Post
Just for fun does anyone hold a broom like a hockey stick that doesn't hold it the same as they would a hockey stick? (Any "left broom"- right shooters or "right broom"- left shooters? -no thumbs uppers need apply)

I agree with the no absolutes though, some are definite right or left from the get go and some are less certain. I've never forced anyone either way. I just can't recall anyone that went against the "broom trick", though I may have forgotten someone.
Yeah me! I'm generally right-handed, but when I use a broom I'll use it both ways, depending on how I can get the broom into corners to the dirt.

But holding a hockey stick left-handed feels a hell of a lot more abnormal.

I've pretty much decided Im not gonna try...mainly because 1. I dont have time to confuse myself, and 2. I have no power in my left hand. And it just feels too weird trying to snapshot from a leftie stick.

When I took to a hockey stick, I did i think automatically hold it right.

Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2008, 02:37 PM
  #85
taloncarde15
 
taloncarde15's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Dallas, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 39
vCash: 500
After reading this discussion yesterday, went home and grabbed my old stick and was playing around with it. I realized that as a right hander, holding a stick right handed, I was trying to stickhandle with the right hand as well, even though it was down in the middle of the stick (Which might explain why I was always horrible at it)

As soon as I turned the stick around, while it felt akward, my right hand still tried to do the work, and I immediatly could tell the difference in the responsiveness of the stick.

taloncarde15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2008, 02:51 PM
  #86
Ruhnie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Dallas
Country: United States
Posts: 76
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by taloncarde15 View Post
After reading this discussion yesterday, went home and grabbed my old stick and was playing around with it. I realized that as a right hander, holding a stick right handed, I was trying to stickhandle with the right hand as well, even though it was down in the middle of the stick (Which might explain why I was always horrible at it)

As soon as I turned the stick around, while it felt akward, my right hand still tried to do the work, and I immediatly could tell the difference in the responsiveness of the stick.
I realized the same thing about a year ago in a hockey class. I'd been stickhandling incorrectly for the first 12 years of my playing career, basically using both hands at the same time. Since then I've made a conscious effort to only use my top (left) hand, and I've improved dramatically. My shot is already quite strong, so now with better stickhandling I see no way that it would be worth it to switch to the left after so much time playing. It just feels way to weird trying a lefty.

Ruhnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2008, 03:03 PM
  #87
IBLeaf*
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Oakville, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,378
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PruBlue25 View Post
Brendan Shanahan raises you 649 goals and 689 assists
Shanahan couldn't even call.

IBLeaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 03:08 PM
  #88
Phoenix
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 300
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by taloncarde15 View Post
After reading this discussion yesterday, went home and grabbed my old stick and was playing around with it. I realized that as a right hander, holding a stick right handed, I was trying to stickhandle with the right hand as well, even though it was down in the middle of the stick (Which might explain why I was always horrible at it)

As soon as I turned the stick around, while it felt akward, my right hand still tried to do the work, and I immediatly could tell the difference in the responsiveness of the stick.

Yes I am very much like that - even though my right hand is the lower one, it still does most of the puckhandling work. I must say, my left hand and arm don't do much.

As I've decided not to change hands, does anyone have tips for trying to get my left hand more active?!

Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 05:09 PM
  #89
puck_08
Registered User
 
puck_08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 656
vCash: 500
I was thinking about this after reading more, and I realized that in high school I played field hockey, and in the high school league everyone has to shoot with a right-handed stick, so I did have to learn how to essentially use a hockey stick right handed. Things are a little different in field hockey being that it is a weird little short stick, and you run around on a soccer field with a ball, but same idea with the switching of handedness.
It took me probably 2 months to actually feel comfortable with shooting/stickhandling the opposite way.. and I never did get to a level that I thought was the same as my ability left handed. I did only play for one season however, and I think I probably could have gotten to a place where it wouldn't have made a difference either way.

I think the experience did help me in realizing what exactly I am asking my hands to do, because you basically have to re-learn it all...

puck_08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 09:16 PM
  #90
Trepanated
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,036
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
As I've decided not to change hands, does anyone have tips for trying to get my left hand more active?!
One idea that I believe I saw on the USA Hockey website is to slip an empty toilet paper tube down over your stick and hold the outside of it with your lower hand, then work on basic stickhandling moves. This makes it basically impossible to use your lower hand to stickhandle; it's just along for the ride to help guide the stick. This is more or less what should be happening anyway.

Trepanated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 10:21 AM
  #91
Ruhnie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Dallas
Country: United States
Posts: 76
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trepanated View Post
One idea that I believe I saw on the USA Hockey website is to slip an empty toilet paper tube down over your stick and hold the outside of it with your lower hand, then work on basic stickhandling moves. This makes it basically impossible to use your lower hand to stickhandle; it's just along for the ride to help guide the stick. This is more or less what should be happening anyway.
^ Yep that's a great tip, I used that one myself. You really have to also make a conscious effort to not use your lower hand for awhile, but it's worth it. My stickhandling has gotten to a level now that I never thought possible.

Ruhnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 02:50 PM
  #92
TheAngryHank
Expert
 
TheAngryHank's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 7,164
vCash: 519
<-- Right handed , plays lefty , golfs righty , i kick a ball with my right foot and snow board goofy. I think someone mentioned the " broom / mop test " I agree with that method how ever you naturally sweep a floor is how you should hold a hockey stick. to make it more easy for parents who buy sticks for kids who dont know any better they should just make all righty sticks lefty and vise versa. I think most people see right handed and think thats the stick they should be using.

TheAngryHank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 02:59 PM
  #93
MakoSlade
Registered User
 
MakoSlade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 437
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to MakoSlade Send a message via MSN to MakoSlade Send a message via Yahoo to MakoSlade
I would advise everyone to try both lefty and righty and see which feels better. I used to shoot right handed, for about two years. Then taking a simple wrist shot I split my right shoulder muscle in half! I couldn't lift my arm for over two weeks. After that I started shooting left handed and it was a natural fit. So try both and see which is better.

MakoSlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 03:44 PM
  #94
WhipNash27
Quattro!!
 
WhipNash27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Westchester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 15,951
vCash: 500
It's funny though because I shoot righty in hockey and do everything righty, but if I go play minigolf (don't have the time or money for regular golf), I play leftie. I tend to be much more accurate that way.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 11:15 AM
  #95
Anonymous
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 36
vCash: 500
I only started playing organized hockey this year, but I've played on the street a few times in the past. I am right-handed and shoot right-handed as well. I've tried going left-handed and just found it way too uncomfortable. My hands on a rake and broom are the same as on a hockey stick. I tried out the toilet-paper roll thing and my stick handling wasn't affected..

Anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 12:23 AM
  #96
Robo-Pope
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,076
vCash: 500
Most righties shoot left.
I'm a righty who shoots right (I was taught that way because I only played on the street/rec level as a kid). I play basketball as well, and protect the ball by using my left arm for leverage. Because I'm a right shot, that translates well into protecting the puck, so I can use similar motions in both sports.

Robo-Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 07:01 AM
  #97
UvBnDatsyuked
Registered User
 
UvBnDatsyuked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,159
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHMan View Post
Spezza is right handed as seen here:



And shoots right



I don't buy into the theory that right handed people need to shoot left. If you're playing goal, I can see that as an exception because you can't grip the center of the stick. The situation is exactly the same with me, with a pitchfork, shovel, broom, golf club and hockey stick, I all hold them the exact same way. I'm an artist as a profession so the artistic theory kinda goes out the window there
I think if you start a kid off in hockey you make sure the dom hand is the top hand. There are players who play or played the way you say Spezza like you mentioned and Mario, so it's not a do or die thing. But start a kid off right IMO because the list of countries, high level players, coaches who swear by it is too long to ignore

UvBnDatsyuked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 01:04 PM
  #98
Axxion89
Registered User
 
Axxion89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 310
vCash: 500
Ok I'm new to ICE hockey (played street since I was 7ish) and I use a righty 2 piece stick. Someone above me stated that you are NOT supposed to stick handle with the lower hand (In my case, the right hand) but the top hand? If you are supposed to use your dominant hand on top, should I learn lefty, my on ice shooting mechanics are no where near where they should so a switch would not be terrible. Also, my composite two piece will not be wasted since I can switch blades.

Axxion89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 01:27 PM
  #99
Headcoach
Registered User
 
Headcoach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 746
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxion89 View Post
Ok I'm new to ICE hockey (played street since I was 7ish) and I use a righty 2 piece stick. Someone above me stated that you are NOT supposed to stick handle with the lower hand (In my case, the right hand) but the top hand? If you are supposed to use your dominant hand on top, should I learn lefty, my on ice shooting mechanics are no where near where they should so a switch would not be terrible. Also, my composite two piece will not be wasted since I can switch blades.
Yep! Dominant hand on the top! And yes, switch out the blade to go lefty.

Head coach

__________________
Hundreds of Hockey Drill for FREE at http://www.passthepuck.net
Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 01:31 PM
  #100
Axxion89
Registered User
 
Axxion89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 310
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headcoach View Post
Yep! Dominant hand on the top! And yes, switch out the blade to go lefty.

Head coach
Thanks for the advice, when I get home I'm building a practice pad and I'm going to pick up a cheap lefty stick and start trying it out, I let everyone know of my progress if interested

Axxion89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:49 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.