HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Glen Sather's views on Jagr and Avery

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-03-2008, 11:21 AM
  #26
Pizza
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 9,952
vCash: 500
Sather's a decent horse trader.

He has to keep his options open, and also try limit expectations.

Given the cap environment, competition from Russia, and the conditions of the bargaining it may wind up being best to let both go.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 12:49 PM
  #27
Fataldogg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 6,904
vCash: 500
Avery is worth no more than $2 million on the cap. He's been so overrated, this whole record with and without Avery is just as misleading as any other statistic in the NHL. He's a mediocre player who plays with an edge. Now, signing back Jagr would be great for the team. If Avery wants more than $2 million sign a more capable winger elsewhere.

I haven't been following the whole Jagr playing in Russia deal. Did they really offer him that massive contract to play out there or is it still completely unknown? Does anyone know his interest of leaving the NHL?

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 12:52 PM
  #28
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,828
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fataldogg View Post
Avery is worth no more than $2 million on the cap. He's been so overrated, this whole record with and without Avery is just as misleading as any other statistic in the NHL.
How exactly is it misleading?

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 12:58 PM
  #29
TomLaidlaw
Registered User
 
TomLaidlaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Transylvania
Country: Romania
Posts: 3,177
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fataldogg View Post
Avery is worth no more than $2 million on the cap. He's been so overrated
So in your opinion Avery is worth 5 mill less on the cap than Chris Drury to this team? Shanny was a 5,000,000 cap hit last, do you think he was more important to this team than Avery was? Christian Backman is a 2.3 mill cap hit this year, is he more important than Avery. If we are comparing Avery to his Ranger peers he is worth a heck of alot more than 2mill a year to this team.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 01:10 PM
  #30
Fataldogg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 6,904
vCash: 500
Heck, if you guys like him and want to pay him $3 - 5 million a year be my guest but I would never let him get more than $2 million in a cap system.

Oh and Shanny was technically a $2.5 million cap hit because incentives don't count towards the cap until the following year. Is a player who scored 23 goals in 73 games worth $2.5 million? Probably.

And in the Playoffs just about everyone is more important than Avery in each of the last two years. So, why should we pay him the big bucks? For him to skate around and trash talk Brodeur? I'll pass as entertaining as that can be.

And why is it misleading? Because we had Jaromir Jagr, Scott Gomez, Chris Drury, Brendan Shanahan, Henrik Lundqvist, emerging talents like Brandon Dubinsky, Nigel Dawes, Marc Staal, and a tight defensive system that we made the playoffs and were a decent team. NOT because of Sean Avery. You can look at the record when "Brandon Dubinsky registers a point in the game" and I'd bet you its an excellent record. Or "When Henrik Lundqvist stops 25 shots" thats its an excellent record. Thats why I can care less about the record when Avery is in the line up.

Gomez is making $8 million next season, Lundqvist is making $7.75 million next season, and Drury is making $7.1 million next season. We can't afford to throw away money like its going out of style.

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 01:43 PM
  #31
HockeyBasedNYC
Registered User
 
HockeyBasedNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Here
Country: United States
Posts: 12,888
vCash: 500
Quote:
“It’s clear he’s a good player,” Sather said of Jagr. “It’s clear that we like him. And it’s clear that we’d like to have him back also.

“There are so many other free agents that are going to be available. But if you have the option of getting Jaromir the way he played at the end of the year and in the playoffs, he was a pretty dangerous hockey player. And we could wind up with no one.

“So you’ve got to be careful.
Interesting quote to me.

Reading between the lines, the big quote for me is when Sather says "But if you have the option of getting Jaromir the way he played at the end of the year and in the playoffs, he was a pretty dangerous hockey player."...

Yeah, at the END of the year... not ALL year. Though Sather likes him, he's got it in the back of his mind that it took him a full season to get to an elite level and it might just as well be a risk in re-signing him, especially for more than 1 season.

Its not the end of the world if they don't sign him, not for me at least.

But, if Sather can get Jagr to sign he will... because Sather is always going to take the easy way out and not get creative. Being "careful" s another way of saying he doesnt want to put himself in the position of doing some really down and dirty GM'ing. Like letting Jagr go because he'll cost the team too much and having to not only rectify that, but look for a replacement as well. That wont be easy to get for the right price so he'll have to find other avenues to fill the voids, through moves and craftier signings that will turn out better for the team in the long run.


Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 06-03-2008 at 01:50 PM.
HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 01:49 PM
  #32
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,828
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fataldogg View Post
And in the Playoffs just about everyone is more important than Avery in each of the last two years. So, why should we pay him the big bucks? For him to skate around and trash talk Brodeur? I'll pass as entertaining as that can be.
He was very a huge factor in the Thrashers series. He was a huge factor in the Devils series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fataldogg View Post
And why is it misleading? Because we had Jaromir Jagr, Scott Gomez, Chris Drury, Brendan Shanahan, Henrik Lundqvist, emerging talents like Brandon Dubinsky, Nigel Dawes, Marc Staal, and a tight defensive system that we made the playoffs and were a decent team. NOT because of Sean Avery.
But they had Jaromir Jagr, Scott Gomez, Chris Drury, Brendan Shanahan, Henrik Lundqvist, emerging talents like Brandon Dubinsky, Nigel Dawes, Marc Staal, and a tight defensive system when Avery was out of the lineup and the record is nowhere near as good as it is when he's in it. Now, is that because of Avery alone? Of course not. But they are different, better and more confident team with him in the lineup, for whatever reason.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 01:54 PM
  #33
HockeyBasedNYC
Registered User
 
HockeyBasedNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Here
Country: United States
Posts: 12,888
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Sather's a decent horse trader.

He has to keep his options open, and also try limit expectations.

Given the cap environment, competition from Russia, and the conditions of the bargaining it may wind up being best to let both go.
You hit it on the head.

"Limit his expectations"

Thats what a lot of fans have to do as well when they are thinking about a 38 year old Jagr making 4-6 million in 2009-10.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 01:56 PM
  #34
TomLaidlaw
Registered User
 
TomLaidlaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Transylvania
Country: Romania
Posts: 3,177
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fataldogg View Post
Heck, if you guys like him and want to pay him $3 - 5 million a year be my guest but I would never let him get more than $2 million in a cap system.

Oh and Shanny was technically a $2.5 million cap hit because incentives don't count towards the cap until the following year. Is a player who scored 23 goals in 73 games worth $2.5 million? Probably.

And in the Playoffs just about everyone is more important than Avery in each of the last two years. So, why should we pay him the big bucks? For him to skate around and trash talk Brodeur? I'll pass as entertaining as that can be.

And why is it misleading? Because we had Jaromir Jagr, Scott Gomez, Chris Drury, Brendan Shanahan, Henrik Lundqvist, emerging talents like Brandon Dubinsky, Nigel Dawes, Marc Staal, and a tight defensive system that we made the playoffs and were a decent team. NOT because of Sean Avery. You can look at the record when "Brandon Dubinsky registers a point in the game" and I'd bet you its an excellent record. Or "When Henrik Lundqvist stops 25 shots" thats its an excellent record. Thats why I can care less about the record when Avery is in the line up.

Gomez is making $8 million next season, Lundqvist is making $7.75 million next season, and Drury is making $7.1 million next season. We can't afford to throw away money like its going out of style.
I disagree with every single word of your post above.

-Shanny counted 4.7 mill against our cap this year. The rest counts against next years cap. So i'll ask my original question to you again, Shanny 4.7 mill, Drury 7.0, Backman 2.3, Malik 2.5. When comparing him to his peers you don't think Avery is worth more than 2.0 mill a year? Do you really believe that?

-So you view our record with Avery in the lineup as just a strange coincidence? Interesting theory.

Avery's playoff stats :
Games - 8
Goals - 4
Assists - 3
+/- Rating - +3
Hall of Fame Goalies annoyed - 1
Spleens ruptured - 1

That isn't worth 2mill in your opinion?

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 02:03 PM
  #35
Fataldogg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 6,904
vCash: 500
Yes. He was good against Atlanta and New Jersey. I think everyone forgot how he is a NO SHOW come round two back to back years. He did absolutely nothing against Buffalo or Pittsburgh. It doesn't matter how you do in round one if you can't produce the rest of the playoffs. Where were you when we truly needed you Sean? He was a no show AGAIN. His disappearing act doesn't warrant any sort of major contract.

And, because we have overpaid Gomez, Drury, Shanahan, and are stuck with Backman's contract we are going to use that as a valid excuse to overpay another player? I don't think so.

And I completely disagree. I think this team is most confident when Jaromir Jagr is confident and happy with the team. It's pretty evident he is the catalyst for the team offensively, not Avery. When Jagr goes so do the Rangers. If we don't re-sign Avery next year, believe me, we will still make the Playoffs and be eliminated in round two. Nothing will change.

When Lundqvist stops 25 shots we are 20 - 9 - 5. I might be a win or loss off, just ran through his game by game log. What does that attribute? What does it mean? Nothing, its just another interesting record. That doesn't mean we should want him to face 25 shots every game or that he is the sole reason we made the Playoffs. It's not an interesting theory I have its just an interesting fact. Nothing more. With Avery in or out of the line up is no different.

Like I said, we will still be eliminated round two with him, why pay him an extra sum to come out storming round one to disappear when it counts most against the tougher teams? Atlanta wasn't exactly the toughest team in the world to beat. New Jersey was a very beatable team and we had their number this year. When it came to facing the tough teams like Buffalo, Pittsburgh, he was a no show. Thats when he needs to perform.

I almost hope that we do resign him to a $4.5 million dollar contract so that I can get a good chuckle when we we are knocked out round two but I will feel that much more comfortable knowing he put up good numbers against the weaker teams in round one. Thats exactly what we need, to overpay more players on this club.

And whats the point of posting his playoff stats up there? Jagr had 5g 10a in 10 games. Should we re-sign him to a $15 million dollar contract for his numbers and performance? The general consensus on the board is he should be signed at $5.5 million and lets face it, Sean is no Jaromir w/ or w/out heart. He doesn't deserve that kind of money or much more than a fraction of what Jaromir gets paid. I'm tired of overpaying players who aren't worth the money. We all agreed we overpaid Gomez and Drury, now we want to add Avery to the list? Only player on the team that earns his massive contract in Henrik.


Last edited by Fataldogg: 06-03-2008 at 02:19 PM.
Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 02:05 PM
  #36
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,828
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fataldogg View Post
And I completely disagree. I think this team is most confident when Jaromir Jagr is confident and happy with the team. It's pretty evident he is the catalyst for the team offensively, not Avery. When Jagr goes so do the Rangers. If we don't re-sign Avery next year, believe me, we will still make the Playoffs and be eliminated in round two. Nothing will change.
The entire team plays with more confidence with Avery in the lineup. When the team went on that great run after Sather acquired him, it was Avery who was leading the team his teammates, including Jagr, fed off him.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 02:19 PM
  #37
TomLaidlaw
Registered User
 
TomLaidlaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Transylvania
Country: Romania
Posts: 3,177
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fataldogg View Post
Yes. He was good against Atlanta and New Jersey. I think everyone forgot how he is a NO SHOW come round two back to back years. He did absolutely nothing against Buffalo or Pittsburgh. It doesn't matter how you do in round one if you can't produce the rest of the playoffs. Where were you when we truly needed you Sean? He was a no show AGAIN. His disappearing act doesn't warrant any sort of major contract.

And, because we have overpaid Gomez, Drury, Shanahan, and are stuck with Backman's contract we are going to use that as a valid excuse to overpay another player? I don't think so.

And I completely disagree. I think this team is most confident when Jaromir Jagr is confident and happy with the team. It's pretty evident he is the catalyst for the team offensively, not Avery. When Jagr goes so do the Rangers. If we don't re-sign Avery next year, believe me, we will still make the Playoffs and be eliminated in round two. Nothing will change.
The discussion isn't who is more important to the team Jagr or Avery. The discussion is wheter or not Avery is worth more than 2mill. All the facts go against your argument.

-Is Avery worth more than 2 mill in comparision to his peers? (Yes)
-Do the Rangers have a drastically better winning percentage when Avery is in the lineup as opposed to when he is not? (Yes)
-Did the Rangers entire season turn around after Avery was picked up in a trade with the Kings two years ago? (Yes)
-Can anyone replace Avery's combination of toughness, agitation, and skill on this current roster? (No)

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 02:19 PM
  #38
OrbitalDynamics
Ants? Solid Plan.
 
OrbitalDynamics's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Stalag Luft LGA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,984
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fataldogg View Post
Where were you when we truly needed you Sean? He was a no show AGAIN. His disappearing act doesn't warrant any sort of major contract.
Where was he when we truly needed him? In St.Vincent's hospital in Manhattan...

You're right though, he should've played through it, bled out internally and literally died...

OrbitalDynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 03:46 PM
  #39
Fataldogg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 6,904
vCash: 500
It's just so funny how fickle the fans are. At the end of the Rangers playoff run it was Jaromir Jagr is the greatest player on the Rangers. Now it's back to "should we sign him?"

And now its back from Avery didn't show up again to we need him to win. "The Avery Factor." It's just ludicrous.

And still, no one has answered me, just because we overpay the other players salaries it validates overpaying Sean Avery?
AND we were talking about contracts and his pay. He is not a superstar, he is not a star, he is only well known in the NHL because of his antics off the ice, for making racial comments to team mates in LA, for doing ridiculous push ups on the ice, and ridiculing a legendary goaltender.

I will seriously bet any one person on this board $150 that we still make it to the second round next year if we don't sign Sean Avery back on the team. He was paid $1.9 million dollars last year. He got what he deserved. He doesn't deserve a raise for calling Brodeur fat. Like I said, he may be entertaining off the ice, but I'll go to the movies for that. This is hockey, we are here to win a Cup not to skate around, get hurt, and not show up for the second round of the playoffs. Those numbers mean nothing to me. If he wants $3 - $5 million we can pay any other player in the NHL to do the same exact stuff, to trash talk players until their heads turn round, to score the occasional goal, to throw a decent hit. Why don't we just sign Laraque or Brashear during the off season for $4 million while we are at it. Since overpaying players is the thing to do now. Look at Ruutu, does plenty of the same stuff, and gets paid barely $1 million.

I know some of you are Sean Avery fans, love to see him put up his mediocre numbers as a second line player [which by the way most of his numbers this year came from him playing with Jagr and Dubinsky], trash talk players, and bring the Avery Factor to the game. I take him for what he is worth. A slightly above average player who got the contract he deserved last year. Sather obviously has a similar mentality to me. Remember him saying that Avery was a detriment to the team? That he took stupid penalties? That it took everything just for him to be re-signed for the $1.9 million last year? Yeah, he talks a lot of trash, draws penalties, but takes stupid penalties too. And when he doesn't want to try he doesn't try OR he just can't perform against better teams in the NHL OR he needs top world talent to produce those numbers? Which one is it?

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 03:54 PM
  #40
Fataldogg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 6,904
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
-Is Avery worth more than 2 mill in comparision to his peers? (Yes)
And like I said before, because we overpaid Gomez, Drury, and are stuck with Backman's contract we should blatantly over pay Avery? That is the excuse? This is an NHL with a cap now. Before, when the Rangers had the highest payroll in the NHL it didn't matter because there was no cap. Now you have to think twice about it. We have $22.85 million locked up between just three players next season. We still have to sign a handful of people on this team to fill the missing spots, especially on defense with Roszival walking. We are looking for a TOP defense man during the off season, a physical defense man during the off season, this doesn't come cheap, especially when you have $23 million locked up between three players. So, because they're over paid, he should be to, in this cap NHL? I don't get it.

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 04:17 PM
  #41
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,351
vCash: 500
still sticking with 3-3.3 million for 3-4 years....pretty much tha same deal as tucker....without the NTC

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 04:22 PM
  #42
JRZ DVLS
Try Brubag*****
 
JRZ DVLS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NC,ILL,NorNJ,Roch
Country: United States
Posts: 4,288
vCash: 500
Outside looking in, he was a very important part of the Rangers. Is he worth $4mil..I don't think so. I thihk Seans best deal will be with incentives. (GP, PTS, or something to that nature)
Honestly i think anything over $2.5 is bad for the Rangers. and even that may be steep.

You guys will have a lot of good young players to sign within the next few years and with a bunch of money already tied up (Gomer/Drury/Lundqvist), Would you really want to give him over $3mil?

If i compare him to the Devs, is he worth more than a John Madden, or Langenbrunner, or if he wants 3-4 mil, Parise? I know, I know it is NJ, but probably a fair comparison.

JRZ DVLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 04:28 PM
  #43
Vitto79
Registered User
 
Vitto79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sarnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,438
vCash: 500
I think both Jagr and Avery come back.........Sather does make sense when he says they have to be responsible on the FA market as if they wait to long then they could get no one

So I would expect Jagr and Avery to sign as of July 1st or before ...............if not they are likely gone and the money goes elsewhere as tons of players will want to come to NY

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 04:33 PM
  #44
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,351
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
I think both Jagr and Avery come back.........Sather does make sense when he says they have to be responsible on the FA market as if they wait to long then they could get no one

So I would expect Jagr and Avery to sign as of July 1st or before ...............if not they are likely gone and the money goes elsewhere as tons of players will want to come to NY
heres what i think will happen....

jagr will be resigned in a week or so....avery will be an UFA and reach july 1st and then get about 3.5 when he realizes he doesnt want to go to a city like florida or montreal.....

also, after july 1st the rangers will actually be pretty busy with signing a couple defenseman(orpik, liles, redden)

at the draft i think the rangers trade up to get boedker and i think they trade backman and some others to get a few extra lower end picks to try and clear some of their repetitve parts

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 04:43 PM
  #45
In The Flesh
Registered User
 
In The Flesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 9,731
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fataldogg View Post
It's just so funny how fickle the fans are. At the end of the Rangers playoff run it was Jaromir Jagr is the greatest player on the Rangers. Now it's back to "should we sign him?"

And now its back from Avery didn't show up again to we need him to win. "The Avery Factor." It's just ludicrous.

And still, no one has answered me, just because we overpay the other players salaries it validates overpaying Sean Avery?
AND we were talking about contracts and his pay. He is not a superstar, he is not a star, he is only well known in the NHL because of his antics off the ice, for making racial comments to team mates in LA, for doing ridiculous push ups on the ice, and ridiculing a legendary goaltender.

I will seriously bet any one person on this board $150 that we still make it to the second round next year if we don't sign Sean Avery back on the team. He was paid $1.9 million dollars last year. He got what he deserved. He doesn't deserve a raise for calling Brodeur fat. Like I said, he may be entertaining off the ice, but I'll go to the movies for that. This is hockey, we are here to win a Cup not to skate around, get hurt, and not show up for the second round of the playoffs. Those numbers mean nothing to me. If he wants $3 - $5 million we can pay any other player in the NHL to do the same exact stuff, to trash talk players until their heads turn round, to score the occasional goal, to throw a decent hit. Why don't we just sign Laraque or Brashear during the off season for $4 million while we are at it. Since overpaying players is the thing to do now. Look at Ruutu, does plenty of the same stuff, and gets paid barely $1 million.

I know some of you are Sean Avery fans, love to see him put up his mediocre numbers as a second line player [which by the way most of his numbers this year came from him playing with Jagr and Dubinsky], trash talk players, and bring the Avery Factor to the game. I take him for what he is worth. A slightly above average player who got the contract he deserved last year. Sather obviously has a similar mentality to me. Remember him saying that Avery was a detriment to the team? That he took stupid penalties? That it took everything just for him to be re-signed for the $1.9 million last year? Yeah, he talks a lot of trash, draws penalties, but takes stupid penalties too. And when he doesn't want to try he doesn't try OR he just can't perform against better teams in the NHL OR he needs top world talent to produce those numbers? Which one is it?
Here's what it is plain and simple.

Avery adds life to the team, he brings his skill, he potted 15, while missing 25 games. Bottom line, Without Avery, the team just blows, records don't lie. Who cares about his "off the ice ****" He brings it on the ice, thats all that matters.

And whats with this "he's a no show come PO time" setiments???? He's had one bad series, last yr, BUFF.

Rangers fans are easily the most bi-polar fans in all of sports, holy ****.

A Jagrless and Averyless Rangers squad =

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 04:52 PM
  #46
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,828
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fataldogg View Post
And still, no one has answered me, just because we overpay the other players salaries it validates overpaying Sean Avery?
Who has come out and advocated overpaying him?

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 04:57 PM
  #47
TomLaidlaw
Registered User
 
TomLaidlaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Transylvania
Country: Romania
Posts: 3,177
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fataldogg View Post
Sather obviously has a similar mentality to me. Remember him saying that Avery was a detriment to the team? That he took stupid penalties? That it took everything just for him to be re-signed for the $1.9 million last year? Yeah, he talks a lot of trash, draws penalties, but takes stupid penalties too. And when he doesn't want to try he doesn't try OR he just can't perform against better teams in the NHL OR he needs top world talent to produce those numbers? Which one is it?
It has already been reported that Sather is offering 2.75 mill to Avery and Avery's agent is looking in the neighborhood of 4.0 mill per year. So his initial offer is already 750,000 higher per year then what you deem as your cut off point for Avery at 2mill. So it would appear that Sather does not agree with you.

You've already stated that you view the Rangers winning percentage with Avery in the lineup as some odd coincidence and that he doesn't have a significant impact on the team. All the facts myself and other posters have bombarded you with don't seem to effect your opinion of Avery's importance to the team so perhaps you simply don't like Avery. Which is fine. So we will have to agree to disagree on this.


Last edited by TomLaidlaw: 06-03-2008 at 05:11 PM.
TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 05:11 PM
  #48
TomLaidlaw
Registered User
 
TomLaidlaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Transylvania
Country: Romania
Posts: 3,177
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fataldogg View Post

And now its back from Avery didn't show up again to we need him to win. "The Avery Factor." It's just ludicrous.
Your the only one in this thread saying Avery didn't show up in the playoffs. When someone scores 6 points in 7 games, then ruptures his spleen in the first period of the 8th game and not only plays the final 2 periods with a ruptured spleen but records an assist as well, I consider that showing up.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 05:25 PM
  #49
BobMarleyNYR
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Alphabet
Country: Iraq
Posts: 2,918
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Sounds like both players are no better than 50/50 on staying with the Rangers
I'd say Jagr is like 60/40, Avery is about 25/75... Sather plays hardball, so does Avery. I don't think he's gonna budge.

BobMarleyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 06:05 PM
  #50
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,848
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRZ DVLS View Post
Outside looking in, he was a very important part of the Rangers. Is he worth $4mil..I don't think so. I thihk Seans best deal will be with incentives. (GP, PTS, or something to that nature)
Honestly i think anything over $2.5 is bad for the Rangers. and even that may be steep.

You guys will have a lot of good young players to sign within the next few years and with a bunch of money already tied up (Gomer/Drury/Lundqvist), Would you really want to give him over $3mil?

If i compare him to the Devs, is he worth more than a John Madden, or Langenbrunner, or if he wants 3-4 mil, Parise? I know, I know it is NJ, but probably a fair comparison.
The Rangers have already offered Avery $2.75 million or have placed his value at his value at that figure.Avery isn't eligible for performance bonuses.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:40 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.