HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Poile: Misguided Faith or Wisdom Beyond Our Comprehension?

Old
06-03-2008, 07:23 PM
oreilly22

vCash: 500
Poile: Misguided Faith or Wisdom Beyond Our Comprehension?

I was just looking around the league, and if any offseason was the perfect time to change coaches it had to be this one. HUGE names up for grabs all over the league and Poile extends Trotz's contract two more years. I mean Joel Quenneville, Ron Wilson, now John Tortorella? All of whom I think have been a lot more successful than Trotz. I'll bet Tortorella could turn our powerplay around you know? Every chance that Hamhuis gets it seems he bashes Trotz, and it is like he has lost respect for him. Remember during his world championship blog at the official Preds site he said something along the lines of it is nice to have a coach that will help you correct mistakes during the middle of the game rather than waiting for a team meeting or something like that. I do, however, have a lot of respect for Poile and trust what he thinks is right for the team so I will give him the benefit of the doubt. What do you guys think?

oreilly22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 07:52 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I'd like to see those quotes from hamhuis if you could dig them up.

Trotz is what he is. An good/not great coach, with recognizable strengths and flaws. I personally do not believe we can win in the playoffs with him as the head coach, but lets see if anything changes next year. Aside from the craptastic powerplay this year, he actually gave left little to complain about, even in the playoffs.

06-03-2008, 08:28 PM
oreilly22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
I'd like to see those quotes from hamhuis if you could dig them up.

Trotz is what he is. An good/not great coach, with recognizable strengths and flaws. I personally do not believe we can win in the playoffs with him as the head coach, but lets see if anything changes next year. Aside from the craptastic powerplay this year, he actually gave left little to complain about, even in the playoffs.
Monday, May 5 - Dan Hamhuis
Well, weíre done with the first weekend of play. Our team has done well, won our first two games. But on paper they were probably our two easiest opponents. Tomorrow we get our first big test when we face the US team.

Through the first two games weíve played pretty good, but havenít been pushed to our best yet. That should change tomorrow. From here on out the games will get harder and harder, so we need to continue to improve our play.

Itís a little more exciting since the USA/Canada hockey rivalry has started to grow within international circles. We donít a long history against them like the Canada/Russia rivalry, but the last 10 years or so itís become one of the more competitive rivalries. Iíve only played against the US three or four times with Team Canada, but itís always a good game. You know everyone from the NHL or Juniors and both countries play similar styles, so that adds to the intensity a bit. For hockey fans, tomorrow should be a fun game to watch.

Coach Hitchcock will have us ready to play. This tournamentís the first time Iíve been with Hitch, so itís a new experience for me. Heís strong with systems and a good motivator. Heís a perfectionist. These first two games weíve played havenít been all that competitive, so we havenít had to play perfect hockey to get the wins, but he was still looking for perfection out of all of us. He was coaching all the way through the games. He didnít wait until after the game or the next day, he let us know on the spot when we messed up, which was good; kept us focused through the games.

So far Iíve been paired mostly with Minnesota Brent Burns. Itís been a good pairing for both of us. We know we can play better, but right now weíre still getting used to how the other guy plays and what our responsibilities are in Coach Hitchcockís system. But weíre adjusting and itís getting more natural. So far itís been a good fit.

Overall, the team has gone pretty much as I expected. Iíve been really impressed with some of our forwards, especially our first line, which has been playing really well; the Ryan Getzlaf, Dany Heatley, Rich Nash line.

Well, Iíll check back in on Wednesday with a recap from tomorrowís big game against the US and a look forward to our Qualifying Round games.

In retrospect maybe kind of speculative on my part, but I took it as a subtle bash at Trotz and his system.

Old
06-03-2008, 08:43 PM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
We had a discussion about this when the contract was first signed and some of the Trotz bashers brought up the same thing and I thought they were reaching at straws then and I still think it's a stretch.

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 08:47 PM
oreilly22

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine_inch_fang View Post
We had a discussion about this when the contract was first signed and some of the Trotz bashers brought up the same thing and I thought they were reaching at straws then and I still think it's a stretch.
Yeah, like I said I trust Poile. I just wanted to hear other people's opinions.

Old
06-03-2008, 10:34 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by nine_inch_fang View Post
I agree, that quote isn't necessarily related at all to any of Dan's experiences in Nashville. Hammer has played in multiple international events for Team Canada under numerous coaching staffs. Especially in an international tournament when you have a mix of players from all over the place, you get different coaches and different coaching styles.

Personally, I think Hammer was comparing his previous international experiences to this year's tournament coaching staff.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 12:46 AM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by oreilly22 View Post
Every chance that Hamhuis gets it seems he bashes Trotz, and it is like he has lost respect for him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oreilly22 View Post
He was coaching all the way through the games. He didnít wait until after the game or the next day, he let us know on the spot when we messed up, which was good; kept us focused through the games.
I'm just not seeing the connection here. Week long tournament play and year long NHL play are different things. You can't coach the two things the same. One's a sprint and the other is a marathon.

Like 9 said, you are really stretching here. Do you really think an assistant captain would call out his coach on the Predators website blog?

I'm not a Trotz lover. I'm really indifferent towards him. But out of Quenneville, Wilson, and Tortorella, I would choose Trotz easily

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 07:59 AM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

If we looked at his team's success in the playoffs against mine I'd be far superior, but then again the team I command is a fantasy sim league and I've yet to make it past the third round of the playoffs with my squad. I've got a solid top 6 but not a ton of depth beyond that...

But that has no bearing on the thread at hand.

Overall I've been pleased with Poile's actions. Nothing off hand comes to mind that makes me wish to see him pelted with rotten fruit and veggies.

Sounding like a broken record I'm not a huge fan of Trotz but after getting us into the playoffs and winning 2 against Detroit says something to me, let's see what he can do next season (yet another broken record: Next season... no wait, next season... god damnit maybe next season... such is the life of a sports fan).

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote