Dion Phaneuf 46 66.67%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-23-2004, 12:59 AM
Captain Conservative

vCash: 500
Leopold or Phaneuf?

Which of these two great young Flames defensemen will be more important to Calgarys future suscess?

Old
05-23-2004, 01:50 AM
OMA

Phaneuf. He brings more to the table than Leopold.

Leopold's going to be a darn good d-man, but I believe that Phaneuf will be better.

The thought of a Phaneuf, Regehr, Leopold top 3 in the future is drool-worthy.

Old
05-23-2004, 07:10 AM
kolanos

Leopold already has a great all-around game, very underrated in his own zone, has one of the best set of hands in the league and uses them to be effective at both ends of the rink. He has great mobility, plays smart and has incredible hockey sense. Leopold will likely produce more offensively than Phaneuf at their peaks, but Leopold doesn't have a physical game. Phaneuf is Leopold's future point-man, they will rival MacInnis-Suter in terms of PP domination. Leopold will fill the Suter role, Phaneuf will be MacInnis with a whole lot of Scott Stevens mixed-in. I can't wait to see these guys out there together, those two with Regehr are the pillars of a future defensive core that will likely be unmatched in the league. Ramholt may develop into something very special as well, perhaps a more punishing version of Lydman.

Old
05-23-2004, 09:10 AM
Badger Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolanos
Phaneuf is Leopold's future point-man, they will rival MacInnis-Suter in terms of PP domination. Leopold will fill the Suter role, Phaneuf will be MacInnis with a whole lot of Scott Stevens mixed-in.
Don't see that comparison at all. MacInnis had that heavy shot, which Phaneuf could only dream about. (The Scott Stevens talk really is putting unrealistic expectations on young Dion. Let him develop his own game on his own time.) Suter was much more physical than Leopold. Nevertheless, the defensive corps looks more than a little promising for years to come...

Old
05-23-2004, 11:33 AM
Russian_fanatic

Dion Phaneauf = Franchise defenceman , Leopold = Number 1 defence man , or number 2 .

Overall Dion !!! He is my favourite prospect !!!

Old
05-23-2004, 02:33 PM
kolanos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger Bob
Don't see that comparison at all. MacInnis had that heavy shot, which Phaneuf could only dream about. (The Scott Stevens talk really is putting unrealistic expectations on young Dion. Let him develop his own game on his own time.) Suter was much more physical than Leopold. Nevertheless, the defensive corps looks more than a little promising for years to come...
I was suggesting that Phaneuf-Leopold would be the next MacInnis-Suter type PP point-men pairing. You got to admit, there are a lot of similiarities betwen Leopold and Suter -- both NCAA prodigies, similiar in size, yes Suter was more physical but they play a similiar style of game aside from that. Phaneuf gets a lot of comparisons to Scott Stevens, it may be unrealistic -- then again, Phaneuf could very well surpass even those expectations. He certainly has all the tools to, and the maturity -- there's very little in his way to becoming a franchise defenceman like Stevens.

Old
05-23-2004, 03:54 PM
Badger Bob

Dion Phaneuf keeps increasing his own value, and the sky's really the limit for this kid. He'll be entering a much more comfortable situation in Calgary, than Scott Stevens did in NJ. The Devils were still a "Mickey Mouse organization," according to Wayne Gretzky. It'll be a luxury for him to break in with a team, which had already made the Finals. In terms of scouting, he probably won't provide the premium-level hitting that Stevens has, but he could be more effective offensively.

As it stands, Al MacInnis is the best-ever Flames defenseman. He is a sure-fire HOFer. After all is said and done, the Flames top 6 certainly should rival the Cup-winning team's corps. When you look at the depth of the '89 team, it didn't exactly suck. After MacInnis and Suter, there was Macoun, McCrimmon, Nattress and Ramage.

It'll take a few years to fully evaluate how the current crop will shape up. My hunch is that it'll be something along the lines of Mercedes vs. Lexus or Miles Davis's 50s quintet vs. the 60s quintet.

Old
05-23-2004, 04:15 PM
Sethis

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolanos
Phaneuf will be MacInnis with a whole lot of Scott Stevens mixed-in.
Wow.

Those are some HIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGH expectations!

MacInnis (at the same age as Dion) scored 75 in 59 in the OHL

Stevens (at the same age as Dion) scored 25 in 77 in the NHL (195 PIMs)

Phaneuf scored 43 in 62 in the WHL this year.

Stevens has been known as the best defensive defenseman in the league for over a decade. (Though Foote comes close)

MacInnis has been known as one of the, if not the, best offensive defensemen in the NHL since his earliest years in the NHL.

Phaneuf is arguably the best D-man in the dub.

MacInnis has broken the 100 point barrier in the NHL (103 in 78) and scored 84 in 51 in the OHL

Stevens has broken the 70 point barrier in the NHL (78 in 83) and in his draft year scored 42 in 68 in the OHL (In this year Dion scored 30 in 71)

Phaneuf has broken only the 40 point barrier in the WHL (43 in 62)

Do NOT get this far ahead of yourself.

Last edited by Sethis: 05-23-2004 at 04:19 PM.
Old
05-23-2004, 11:21 PM
Bicycle Repairman
HFBoards Sponsor

I agree with Sethis. Dion Phaneuf has yet to play a game in the NHL. For all we know, he turns out to be the next Chris Biotti.

Last edited by Bicycle Repairman: 05-23-2004 at 11:25 PM.
Old
05-24-2004, 01:05 AM
Taupy

Damn.... you can't compare these statistics... it was not the same opposition in that time, you must admit that the defensive game lower everybody stats...

Old
05-24-2004, 11:43 AM
kolanos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taupy
Damn.... you can't compare these statistics... it was not the same opposition in that time, you must admit that the defensive game lower everybody stats...
Exactly, very misleading. It's like backwards inflation (deflation, but that doesn't really get the point across). Totally different eras.

Ramholt is arguably one of the best if not the best defenceman in the QMJHL as well. He was second in the league in +/- among defenceman with +37. He is developing into an exceptional defensive defenceman with a solid two-way game -- was a huge part of Cape Breton's success this year. And Red Deer wouldn't have made the playoffs without Phaneuf, most likely.

Now all we need is a top defenceman in the OHL and we'd have a trifecta. Imagine if the Flames were able to get Wolski in this year's draft? I am sure Sutter is interested in Barker as well, but it would take a hell of a lot to get a top five pick. (not to mention it doesn't really answer our depth needs)

Last edited by kolanos: 05-24-2004 at 11:47 AM.
Old
05-24-2004, 11:56 AM
Sethis

I know statistics can be very misleading, my point was only that those are some unreal expectations to thrust upon the kid. Personally, if he ends up being a Rhett Warrener clone, I'd be ecstatic. Your comparing him with 2 of the best Defensmen in the last 20 years and arguably Top 10 all-time.

Old
05-24-2004, 12:50 PM
misfit
5-14-6-1

vCash: 50
I've seen a lot more from Leopold and he's one heck of a defenceman. However, I like saying Phaneuf's name. It's a tough call, but I went with the tangables and voted Leopold.

Old
05-25-2004, 12:25 AM
kruezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit
I've seen a lot more from Leopold and he's one heck of a defenceman. However, I like saying Phaneuf's name. It's a tough call, but I went with the tangables and voted Leopold.

I would be pumped too just getting to here his name on the air more often.

I really like Leopold, I think he is definetaly a future No.1 and playing with Regehr only helps.

Phaneuf is amazing though, I've seen much of this kid and wow. I don't know if he'll make it big in the NHL, but he sure does dominate the Dub.

Old
05-27-2004, 06:45 PM
Blackshad

Phaneuf, he is one of the best Defence prospect i ever saw. (I'm not an homer, i'm from the montreal canadiens forum )

Closed Thread