HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Can anyone see a Montreal-Boston ECF in 2009?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-03-2008, 09:46 PM
  #1
HH
GO HABS GO!
 
HH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,302
vCash: 500
Can anyone see a Montreal-Boston ECF in 2009?

I know its very very very early to talk about this but today on the bus while I was listening to Living on a prayer from Bon Jovi I started thinking about both teams and how they both have good young talent and good team chemistry and with tweaks here and there they could meet again the playoffs for another time. Then I thought...well it wouldn't be far fetched that both those teams finish a top the NE division and could potentialy meet in the conference finals if everything lines up well.

Not only would this revive the rivalry to an extreme point, it would bring back casual Boston fans (like it or not, it is a hockey city) and would make for a fantastic series and hopefully ending in the 25th win in 32 match ups for the Habs.

I know its way early to talk about this, but just imagine it for a second and the possibility of it happening. Combined with the Habs 100th year anniversary.

I'll post the same thread on the Bruins board.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 09:55 PM
  #2
SpreeEndaz
Registered User
 
SpreeEndaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Around MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,548
vCash: 500
No, next subject please.


SpreeEndaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 09:57 PM
  #3
Kachino
Registered User
 
Kachino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 5,596
vCash: 50
Boring!

Kachino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 09:57 PM
  #4
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 42,758
vCash: 500
Not right now

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 09:59 PM
  #5
Joey
Registered User
 
Joey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,088
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Joey
No but I could see Carolina-New Jersey in 2011

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 09:59 PM
  #6
anarmandaleb
 
anarmandaleb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hiding in a blanket
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,619
vCash: 500
I've had just about enough of Boston fans and their inferiority complexes for a long time.

anarmandaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 10:09 PM
  #7
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 37,944
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Montreal vs. Pittsburgh.

Carey Price pwning Crosby.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 10:10 PM
  #8
ChemiseBleuHonnete
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 9,407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Montreal vs. Pittsburgh.

Carey Price pwning Crosby.

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 10:23 PM
  #9
znk
Registered User
 
znk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,119
vCash: 500
We aint going to beat Boston 8 times next season and they will have Bergeron back. They should be near the top of the conference. If you take 2 seconds to take a look at what they did with all the injuries they had it dosent take much to figure this out.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 06:42 AM
  #10
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny
 
Hackett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,897
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post
I know its very very very early to talk about this but today on the bus while I was listening to Living on a prayer from Bon Jovi I started thinking about both teams and how they both have good young talent and good team chemistry and with tweaks here and there they could meet again the playoffs for another time. Then I thought...well it wouldn't be far fetched that both those teams finish a top the NE division and could potentialy meet in the conference finals if everything lines up well.

Not only would this revive the rivalry to an extreme point, it would bring back casual Boston fans (like it or not, it is a hockey city) and would make for a fantastic series and hopefully ending in the 25th win in 32 match ups for the Habs.

I know its way early to talk about this, but just imagine it for a second and the possibility of it happening. Combined with the Habs 100th year anniversary.

I'll post the same thread on the Bruins board.
I think pittsburgh is going to become montreal's most hated rival for the next few years. Boston has a few peices, but I dont think they are quite there.

Its also rather presumptious of me to state that the habs are a lock for the ECF in o9... but I bet the pens will be there.

Fluery has answered some questions these playoffs... price will have alot of questions to answer next year for the habs to make the next step.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 06:53 AM
  #11
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny
 
Hackett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,897
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
We aint going to beat Boston 8 times next seasonand they will have Bergeron back. They should be near the top of the conference. If you take 2 seconds to take a look at what they did with all the injuries they had it dosent take much to figure this out.

It depends on whether you believe that they overachieved this year, or whether their season is a sign of things to come. The positive thing for them is that they got some young guys that you would assume will take a step forward, but I still got some questions about julien. He had a great first year in montreal where youngsters like ribeiro and ryder emerged. The following season, the team struggled and julien was canned before the season ended although jose theodore didn't help him out all that much, but I dont really trust thomas/fernandez either.... maybe rask develops quickly... who knows

You say they "should" be near the top... I think that's a bit strong. They got a shot, but as of right now (yeah, its early), I consider them a playoff team between 5-7.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 07:19 AM
  #12
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 16,083
vCash: 500
enough of Boston already.




Anyway, while it's true they have a few young players, they still have a weak D, are stuck with Murray and Bergeron is still a question mark (havent played in a year, will always have risk of a 2nd concussion)... oh! and their goalie will be Fernandez and a 34 years old Thomas...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 08:55 AM
  #13
znk
Registered User
 
znk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,119
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
It depends on whether you believe that they overachieved this year, or whether their season is a sign of things to come. The positive thing for them is that they got some young guys that you would assume will take a step forward, but I still got some questions about julien. He had a great first year in montreal where youngsters like ribeiro and ryder emerged. The following season, the team struggled and julien was canned before the season ended although jose theodore didn't help him out all that much, but I dont really trust thomas/fernandez either.... maybe rask develops quickly... who knows

You say they "should" be near the top... I think that's a bit strong. They got a shot, but as of right now (yeah, its early), I consider them a playoff team between 5-7.
We were 8-0 against Boston, barely had an injury during the season, Kovalev played an amazing season and we still only managed to finish 10 points ahead of Boston. Montreal can be considered overachievers more then Boston. Everything clicked last season. If both teams play the same season as the last one but split the series Habs would end up with 96 points and Boston with 102.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 09:14 AM
  #14
anarmandaleb
 
anarmandaleb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hiding in a blanket
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,619
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
We were 8-0 against Boston, barely had an injury during the season, Kovalev played an amazing season and we still only managed to finish 10 points ahead of Boston. Montreal can be considered overachievers more then Boston. Everything clicked last season. If both teams play the same season as the last one but split the series Habs would end up with 96 points and Boston with 102.
I think the pressure's on Montreal to step it the **** up. I think that if Montreal manages to do that, Montreal and Pittsburgh will be the top two teams in the East for a long while.
Boston will be pretty scary when they sort out their goaltending issues.

anarmandaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 09:20 AM
  #15
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny
 
Hackett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,897
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
We were 8-0 against Boston, barely had an injury during the season, Kovalev played an amazing season and we still only managed to finish 10 points ahead of Boston. Montreal can be considered overachievers more then Boston. Everything clicked last season. If both teams play the same season as the last one but split the series Habs would end up with 96 points and Boston with 102.
oh yeah, everything went right for montreal. They wouldn't have finished first without that happening. next year will be very interesting

But we can play this "if" game until we're blue in the face. Take a guess which division gave montreal the most trouble? It was the southeast division. What if montreal took advantage of a division which is percieved to be the weakest out of the east?

What if montreal didn't blow 3rd period leads twice to the ranger or blow a lead against the preadators.

I'm sure boston has their what ifs against other teams and other teams have their what ifs against boston.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 09:21 AM
  #16
ReVeuF
Registered User
 
ReVeuF's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,038
vCash: 500
Please not Boston again, i am tired to see them against the Habs in the playoffs. I want some other team please.

ReVeuF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 04:29 PM
  #17
JHabs
HFB Partner
 
JHabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,358
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpreeEndaz View Post
No, next subject please.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=J5z4Vs26-TI

JHabs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 04:47 PM
  #18
Lone Rogue
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,506
vCash: 500
Eastern Conference Final? Absolutely not.

Semi-Finals? Doubtful.

Quarter Finals? Absolutely.

Do people honestly think Milan Lucic is going to break out and score 80 points next season? Come on.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 05:01 PM
  #19
JHabs
HFB Partner
 
JHabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,358
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
Come on.
Well Said

JHabs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 05:19 PM
  #20
RussCourtnallsGhost
Registered User
 
RussCourtnallsGhost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 731
vCash: 500
Boston is tough to call. With Bergeron back, they can focus on offense again now that they have more firepower, but you never can tell how a group of players is going to respond to a change in their system.

I still say they're a middle-of-the-pack team that might cause some trouble in the playoffs. If they get Hossa, then I'd be scared.

RussCourtnallsGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 09:14 AM
  #21
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 33,335
vCash: 256
That would be great and a guaranteed Stanley cup finals for us

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 09:45 AM
  #22
neofury*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, PQ
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,277
vCash: 500
Harry, it's not possible for the 1st place team and the 8th place team to go up against eachother in the conference finals. Those teams would play eachother first

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 09:46 AM
  #23
neofury*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, PQ
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryder6 View Post
Boston is tough to call. With Bergeron back, they can focus on offense again now that they have more firepower, but you never can tell how a group of players is going to respond to a change in their system.

I still say they're a middle-of-the-pack team that might cause some trouble in the playoffs. If they get Hossa, then I'd be scared.
I have a gut feeling bergeron will once again be their downfall next season. Injury. I called it if it happens

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:02 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.