HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumor: Shanny back in Blue...as a coach?

Old
06-03-2008, 05:04 PM
The Thomas J.*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chariot View Post
I wonder if Shanny thinks he can get one more payday in the NHL? He probably could somewhere else. But moving the family again for what? one year in LA, FLA?

It must be REALLY tough to retire from a storied HOF career. Especially when your God given elite skills always give you at least semi effective results.

He did score 23 goals last year. Third best on the team.
I had invisioned a scenerio in which Shanny signs with the Devils for one year, they need help on there PP & he can be as useful PKer & help fill the leadership void that exsits there, & he still gets to live in NY.

It could end where it all started for him.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 05:08 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
I thought it was $13.5MM on the UWS?
$13.257 million actually.

Old
06-03-2008, 05:34 PM
battlerex99

I would love to have Shanny as a coach. He clearly has all the players' respect and is a shoot first kind of guy. I like that.

battlerex99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 06:00 PM
Vitto79

Agreed , he would be a GREAT coach and late season comeback player for the playoffs........do it do it

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 06:11 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

When I read the title I thought that he was considering a assistant job in St. Louis.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 08:42 PM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
I definitely think Shanny has a bright future as a coach in this league..maybe even a head coach someday.

I'd love to see him here as an assistant. Or maybe start him in Hartford for a year and see how he does?

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 08:45 PM
blue2noise

Ummm. I posted this idea months ago and you guy ripped me! ********!!

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=512455

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 09:18 PM
In The Flesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
I had invisioned a scenerio in which Shanny signs with the Devils for one year, they need help on there PP & he can be as useful PKer & help fill the leadership void that exsits there, & he still gets to live in NY.

It could end where it all started for him.
that would suck.

If Shanny comes back as a coach, sweet! Bring along Mess and Graves too, lol. No, really, that would awesome.

Even thou Shanny has slowed done greatly, I really think he's got one more yr left, unfortuantly, I'm not sure he has a spot on our team. His production is going to be really hard to make up thou.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 10:44 PM
Smashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2noise View Post
Ummm. I posted this idea months ago and you guy ripped me! ********!!

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=512455
Not I said the smash!

Smashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 11:15 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashley View Post
Totally agree. Last 2 months of the season I wished they had taken JJ off of the power play, cause I had a feeling it would actually work if everyone didnt have to pass it through him so he could dick around with it before taking 10mins to deciding to shoot.

Shanny in a suit..... Mmmmmm
LOL.

My aunt worked for the Garden for a long time, and she and a lot of other women there were head over heels for that guy.

Man, would I love to have Shanny Status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostik View Post
Meh. Judging by your post one would might say that other "non-Jagr" unit did well.
Unfortunately, Gomez, Shanny and Drury sucked as well.
Blame Pearn for not working PP.
It did at times, just like Jagr's did, at times. How quick you are to forget Jagr's 31 game powerplay goal drought. Take your Czech-Glasses off and start being real, guy.

Pearn is a problem, and Jagr is just as big of a problem. Neither seems to be willing to budge, as overall, the power play was terrible this past season.

Quote:
To the topic...Shanny as a coach?Hope noone is serious about this.
I'm not even sure if he is suitable as assistant coach.
I love how you bashed me in a previous thread for being anti-Czech, but you're pulling the same ******** here.

Practice what you preach, man.

CM Lundqvist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 12:02 AM
rickyrod

If it meant Pearn was on the way out, I'd support this.

rickyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 12:31 AM
Edge

I'd consider it.

Personally I think Shanahan has one more year in the tank, even as a third/fourth line player.

So long as the expectation isn't for him to score a lot and he isn't making a lot of money, I'd consider bringing him back as a player.

I know I'm clearly in the minority there, but that's okay with me.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 12:34 AM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
I'd consider it.

Personally I think Shanahan has one more year in the tank, even as a third/fourth line player.

So long as the expectation isn't for him to score a lot and he isn't making a lot of money, I'd consider bringing him back as a player.

that's pretty much exactly how I feel. though I'm not too thrilled with the idea of him coaching.

Rangers Unlimited
Hockey Graphs
Thirty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 01:39 AM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Quote:
I'd consider it.

he probably wouldn't make alot of money next year but i have a feeling it might be another contract with bonuses that would be tacked on to the cap the next year which i don't want to do again with him. He would be a good coach for the team. He has great knowledge of how hockey works and more importantly, this team. He is more qualified than any other person looking for an assistant coaching job because of his knowledge of this team and how they function. I feel he could run a very effective PP considering he was a great PP guy in his hay day and was good with the Rangers. Let a young guy take his spot. Shanny had a great career but at the end of the year, there were times where i just didn't want to see him on the ice and i hate to say that about him cuz he is a good player and a good guy but i think its time that he hung up the skates.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 02:42 AM
The Thomas J.*

I think as banged up, tired, worn out & drained both physically & mentally Shanny still believes in his heart he has one more season left in him, with a contender, if he want's to play in the NY area with an outside to not so decent chance to win a cup he stays with the NYR, or signs with the Devils.

If he wants an absoulete slam dunk chance to get a cup, he oes back to the wings, Pens or dare I say Dallas stars, perhaps Tampa Bay. where ever he singns he is a 3rd or 4th liner with alot of special teams playing time.

Old
06-04-2008, 09:55 AM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
he probably wouldn't make alot of money next year but i have a feeling it might be another contract with bonuses that would be tacked on to the cap the next year which i don't want to do again with him. He would be a good coach for the team. He has great knowledge of how hockey works and more importantly, this team. He is more qualified than any other person looking for an assistant coaching job because of his knowledge of this team and how they function. I feel he could run a very effective PP considering he was a great PP guy in his hay day and was good with the Rangers. Let a young guy take his spot. Shanny had a great career but at the end of the year, there were times where i just didn't want to see him on the ice and i hate to say that about him cuz he is a good player and a good guy but i think its time that he hung up the skates.
I think that's a one-time only deal. Not sure if that one-time restriction is per player or if just per player per team. In other words, the Rangers can't give him another deal like this year's, but I'm not sure if another team can't.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 10:22 AM
Kostik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldshot View Post
LOL.

My aunt worked for the Garden for a long time, and she and a lot of other women there were head over heels for that guy.

Man, would I love to have Shanny Status.

It did at times, just like Jagr's did, at times. How quick you are to forget Jagr's 31 game powerplay goal drought. Take your Czech-Glasses off and start being real, guy.

Pearn is a problem, and Jagr is just as big of a problem. Neither seems to be willing to budge, as overall, the power play was terrible this past season.

I love how you bashed me in a previous thread for being anti-Czech, but you're pulling the same ******** here.

Practice what you preach, man.
Show me a post where i've said that you are anti-Czech.
Twisting arguments and facts again?
I've said that you are notorious Jagr basher, and thats indeed a fact, judging by your post history here.
You are trying to start the anti-nationality flame, but i'm not playing this game.

You are (thankfully) only one who sees my comment as anti-Canadian crap.
Because i love hockey and i see advantages in both styles, East-West or North-South
I think idea of having Shanny coaching this team NOW is horrible - he has no qualification what so ever.
In my eyes, he hasn't earned this position by anything.
Give him role in Rangers organization to see how it works out.
He can be an assistant coach in Hartford maybe.
After year or two after we can judge his results, we can start talking.

Kostik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 10:24 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostik View Post
Show me a post where i've said that you are anti-Czech.
Twisting arguments and facts again?
I've said that you are notorious Jagr basher, and thats indeed a fact, judging by your post history here.
You are trying to start the anti-nationality flame, but i'm not playing this game.

You are (thankfully) only one who sees my comment as anti-Canadian crap.
Because i love hockey and i see advantages in both styles, East-West or North-South
I think idea of having Shanny coaching this team is horrible - he has no qualification what so ever.
In my eyes, he hasn't earned this position by anything.
Give him role in Rangers organization to see how it works out.
He can be an assistant coach in Hartford maybe.
After year or two, we can start talking
agreed... I would like to see Schoenfeld moved up from HFD, especially since alot of kids he coached will probably be on this team. He would know them better than anybody (including renney).

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 10:50 AM
Fletch

Kostik...

I don't think we in here have enough information to make a statement like :"I think idea of having Shanny coaching this team is horrible - he has no qualification what so ever".

I'm sure there are a few examples of players becoming assistant coaches in the NHL(and I assume that's what we're talking about in here) without having experience elsewhere. I'm not saying Shanny's qualified because I haven't sat in front of him and interviewed him as to how he'd make 'X' better, assuming he'd be in charge of 'X'.

The question as to whether Shanny is qualified, unfortunately, can only be answered by Sather, since he will know if there is a hole in the coaching corps and he and Renney will speak to Shanny to understand if Shanny is a right fit.

Personally, if the organization is looking for a guy to make the PP better, Shanny may be a bad choice if Jagr is not around. I say if Jagr is not around because Shanny would employ one style - one I think would work well with certain guys (traffic in front, point shots, etc.). That's not Jagr's style, and honestly, Jagr's style would work with the right personnel (again, the team's PP was 8th for the prior two seasons with Jagr at the helm - we all thought it could've been better, but 8th isn't that bad). Pearn really didn't recognize the fact that players have different styles and play the PP differently and he needs to have the right personnel out there as a unit.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 10:52 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
I'd consider it.

Some man-crushes are just too hard to shake.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 11:48 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
i would rather him be a like a PP coach or something...maybe he can do something else with it....as long as he doesnt play!
Yeah -- our PP went from like 8th in the league to 28th after we got Shanny and started the "shoot all the time" crap... Every good PP in this league passes the puck around untill they get good chances -- but Shanny still belives its best to take a bad angle shot as soone we get over the attacking blueline.

Shanny is great in the dressing room -- but I think he would be a horrible coach. Its not 1974 anymore. Id much rather put Straka anywhere close to the X and O's.

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 12:42 PM
Vaheh

Send a message via MSN to Vaheh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Yeah -- our PP went from like 8th in the league to 28th after we got Shanny and started the "shoot all the time" crap... Every good PP in this league passes the puck around untill they get good chances -- but Shanny still belives its best to take a bad angle shot as soone we get over the attacking blueline.

Shanny is great in the dressing room -- but I think he would be a horrible coach. Its not 1974 anymore. Id much rather put Straka anywhere close to the X and O's.
That was more to do with Jagr breaking his shoulder than Shanny joining the team

Vaheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 12:44 PM
Fletch

Edge...

I agree that Shanny may have one more year in him, but I don't trust Renney to use him in the manner in which he's best suited. I think Renney's the one with a mancrush on Shanny and he will continue to play him too much. Also, is Shanny willing to take a role in which he's getting 12-13 minutes per night and getting paid around $2.5MM?

On the flip side, watching the Pens and Wings (especially the Wings) skate like madmen all over the ice, I'm not sure Shanny can keep up.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 12:49 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
I agree that Shanny may have one more year in him, but I don't trust Renney to use him in the manner in which he's best suited. I think Renney's the one with a mancrush on Shanny and he will continue to play him too much. Also, is Shanny willing to take a role in which he's getting 12-13 minutes per night and getting paid around $2.5MM?

On the flip side, watching the Pens and Wings (especially the Wings) skate like madmen all over the ice, I'm not sure Shanny can keep up.
we need to get faster this summer that is for sure, no more slow skaters like shanny, malik, rozsival etc

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 01:04 PM
Hockey2000nyr

if shanny doesnt sign to play anywhere then id say we stick him down in hartford as a coach, let him gain some experience as a coach and the young guys down there will get another coach with a lot of valuable experience and knowledge of the game, only furthering the quality of development down there. we have ken gernander, jj daigneault down there we had ulf sammuelsson a few years ago. and if he doesnt want to do that then maybe have him come in to specifically work with the young guys at the Camps and stuff. im sure guys like greg moore and hugh jessiman would definetly benefit from working with shanny

Hockey2000nyr is offline   Reply With Quote