HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2008 Draft Thread

Closed Thread

Old
06-03-2008, 08:32 PM
broadwayblue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkRangers View Post
08 is heavy on D
09 is heavy on O

Check the prospects board, someone did a look ahead at 09 and I cant wait.
Thanks...I'll check it out.

Old
06-03-2008, 08:32 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomez to Jagr View Post
09 is absolutely supposed to be a deep draft. Tavares, Hedman, Svennson-Paajarvi, Rajala, and Cowan are just some names that are franchise level talents available. I'd say there are 8 players with franchise potential, and after that, the draft is as deep as this year's. So even if the Rangers are a fringe-playoff team next year, they can end up drafting a player better than anyone outside of the top 5 in this year's draft.
Add in Schenn and Jordan Schroeder...I don't mean to overhype it but it has a lot of potential.

06-03-2008, 09:34 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomez to Jagr View Post
09 is absolutely supposed to be a deep draft. Tavares, Hedman, Svennson-Paajarvi, Rajala, and Cowan are just a couple of names that are franchise level talents available. I'd say there are 8 players with franchise potential, and after that, the draft is as deep as this year's. So even if the Rangers are a fringe-playoff team next year, they can end up drafting a player better than anyone outside of the top 5 in this year's draft.
Nice to hear there's a ton of talent available.

Quote:
BB, I understand the motivation for your current avatar, but I miss your old mustached one haha
I'll bring the mustache back in due time.

Old
06-03-2008, 09:50 PM
NYR425

Understand what you are all saying but 1 year out every draft looks awesome. Last year this time Beach was a top 2 or 3 talent, and goalies Poulin and Myer looked like the next Pat Roy. I think if you can get a world class talent now, you do it. Alot can happen in a season. You could easily advance farth and have much worse pick.

Old
06-03-2008, 10:01 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR425 View Post
Understand what you are all saying but 1 year out every draft looks awesome. Last year this time Beach was a top 2 or 3 talent, and goalies Poulin and Myer looked like the next Pat Roy. I think if you can get a world class talent now, you do it. Alot can happen in a season. You could easily advance farth and have much worse pick.
I get what you're saying, but the reverse could just as easily happen. The Rangers could bootom out and just hand over a top pick with alot of bad luck.

Personally, if the Rangers were a bit more like Philly in the way they made deals - IE. they would try hard to replace the pick they traded - I'd be more inclined to say go for it. But, honestly, I don't believe Sather thinks anything of that kind of movement/trade philosophy.

Old
06-03-2008, 10:52 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
If he's around, I gotta go with Petrov.

I'd be willing to take that gamble.
I haven't really been getting into the draftees yet (usually 2-3 weeks before i really research them a lot)..but i took Petrov in the mock Mod draft....(so please guys...go easy on me whenever that is posted )

He's a big gamble like you stated, but its good to see I guess it wasnt that bad of a pick...your usually very good with the up coming draftees

Old
06-03-2008, 10:58 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
I haven't really been getting into the draftees yet (usually 2-3 weeks before i really research them a lot)..but i took Petrov in the mock Mod draft....(so please guys...go easy on me whenever that is posted )

He's a big gamble like you stated, but its good to see I guess it wasnt that bad of a pick...your usually very good with the up coming draftees
I try

Petrov is certainly someone to stop and think about. If you've got time to wait and see and are a winning team, four years seems like a blip on the radar.

If you're a so/so team and you're looking for results (good or bad) on a faster timetable, waiting for Petrov might seem like forever.

Old
06-03-2008, 11:54 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
I try

Petrov is certainly someone to stop and think about. If you've got time to wait and see and are a winning team, four years seems like a blip on the radar.

If you're a so/so team and you're looking for results (good or bad) on a faster timetable, waiting for Petrov might seem like forever.
Basically Detroit? Ironically, I see them going for not Petrov but Tikhonov..

Old
06-04-2008, 12:15 AM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
i wouldn't put anything really into Petrov. The guy has a long term contract in Russia and i don't see any reason why he would come over after that contract has expired. If he has a good couple of years in the RSL then he will get more money over in Russia than he would in the NHL. Maybe if hes around very late and we r down to our last pick than go for him but don't waste any sort of pick on him when its obvious that he won't be coming over anytime soon.

Old
06-04-2008, 12:25 AM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

I hope the Rangers do everything and anything to nab Paquette. I don't even think I'd mind them reaching at 20. People are saying he's the next Dubinsky, and I can't say I disagree. He doesn't have as much natural talent, but what's wrong with a second line banger who will fight? Skating's gotta be the biggest concern as this year he showed some hockey sense.

The kid could be Avery good without the bad attitude. He seems like he has a great personality.

Old
06-04-2008, 08:29 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan444 View Post
Add in Schenn and Jordan Schroeder...I don't mean to overhype it but it has a lot of potential.
'09 has way more potential than this '08 draft, the most overrated in years. Some quality no doubt, but this hype about it being deep is ridiculous.

Old
06-04-2008, 08:36 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Also, look for LA to trade up with their #28 pick.
Would you give LA the 20th pick for the 28th and 47th?

Old
06-04-2008, 08:44 AM
Stepan Razor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Would you give LA the 20th pick for the 28th and 47th?
in a heartbeat...i like this draft class and there will still be some very solid players around at 47.

Old
06-04-2008, 08:53 AM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
I know I must sound like Jess' pimp, but with little else being talked about, his Prospect Park blog is at least giving new food for thought.

So, in today's installment, he discusses the benefits of a trade down with LA.

Quote:
We believe if the Rangers can trade down to say an old friend of Sather's Dean Lombardi and the Los Angeles Kings for the 32nd and 47th picks so then with 3 second round picks the Rangers will wind up with 3 high quality prospects out of this draft. And here is how we would use those picks.

At 32 we take a very promising High Schooler from Minnesota named Cory Feinhage (6'4 190) who is heading to North Dakota for 2009. Fienhage we got a peek at when he joined the Indiana Ice after his High School season ended and like John Carlson, we are looking at another player with a mean streak.

Feinhage needs work on his body, his skating and agility but he is barely 18 and wants to be another Scott Stevens. We think of Jeff Beukeboom with the way he finishes his checks, how with his wide arm span it is almost impossible to get by him.

That he is heading to a NCAA powerhouse like North Dakota is a very good sign since North Dakota does not recruit just anyone for their hockey program and we know he will get that much better.

Old
06-04-2008, 08:53 AM
AK2794

Thats a tough one, although I could realistically see it happening. I probably would hold on to the 20th spot though.

Old
06-04-2008, 08:58 AM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

28/32 and 47 for 20 I would do as well. But looking at PP's article, I'd think you'd have to go Staal first and then Fienhage at 47, if Staal even makes it to 32.

You literally have every type of prospect you could want, available in the top two rounds.

Old
06-04-2008, 09:19 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
28/32 and 47 for 20 I would do as well. But looking at PP's article, I'd think you'd have to go Staal first and then Fienhage at 47, if Staal even makes it to 32.

You literally have every type of prospect you could want, available in the top two rounds.
If the Rangers end up with 32, 47 and 54 (I believe that is the correct slot), I'd be more inclined to draft Staal at 32, and make sure Paquette is one the picks at 47/54. I also saw that Jimmy Hayes fared well at the combine. And, Chief, who runs Young Guns Hockey, is very high on Josh Brittain.

Old
06-04-2008, 09:21 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
If the Rangers end up with 32, 47 and 54 (I believe that is the correct slot), I'd be more inclined to draft Staal at 32, and make sure Paquette is one the picks at 47/54. I also saw that Jimmy Hayes fared well at the combine. And, Chief, who runs Young Guns Hockey, is very high on Josh Brittain.
if they end up w/ those picks I believe you have to use one on Petrov if he is available.... it would be a risk pick but one that is worth it. You can still get another forward and dman in the second round but Petrov could conceivably become one of the best players this draft year. It just might take 4 years (he would only be 21 or 22 even then).

Old
06-04-2008, 09:38 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
if they end up w/ those picks I believe you have to use one on Petrov if he is available.... it would be a risk pick but one that is worth it. You can still get another forward and dman in the second round but Petrov could conceivably become one of the best players this draft year. It just might take 4 years (he would only be 21 or 22 even then).

Agreed. Petrov at #20 scares; Petrov in the 2nd round with two other picks forthcoming is worth the gamble.

Old
06-04-2008, 10:32 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

How about Anton Gustafsson for a 2nd round pick? He seems like the real deal.

If we do indeed trade down to get two 2nd round picks in exchange for our first.

How about this kid with our first pick in the draft.

If we keep our #20 i'd like Tedenby.

If we trade down i'd like both Anton Gustafsson and Jared Staal in the second round.

I realize we have enough depth at center, however, you can start to switch some of these guys to wing, therefore giving your self some wingers with a higher sense of the defensive side of the game. And also multiple guys on one line that can take an important faceoff draw.

Everyone seems to be clamoring for forwards with size and skill to go with it. Anton Gustafsson has the total package. Size, grit, skill, smarts, not as high an offensive ceiling as some and that may be his only drawback. IMO a much safer pick then Petrov, i like Petrov a lot, but him being content in Russia is a cause for concern.

Last edited by SupersonicMonkey*: 06-04-2008 at 10:42 AM.
Old
06-04-2008, 10:41 AM
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by PukkuMikku View Post
How about Anton Gustafsson for a 2nd round pick? He seems like the real deal.
will be gone by the 2nd imo

really i like toews with one of the 2nds if we do it, and as for the other two, like that d man going to ND that was mentioned a few posts back, and besides that, hayes sounds good too.

plus all have 4 years to develop in college

Old
06-04-2008, 10:48 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

You know, i'm starting to warm up to that idea of trading down, if i guarantees us TWO more picks in the the second round.

That does make more sense.

That would make 3 picks for us in the second round.

OK... i think im sold on it.

However, we better be getting back two second rounders. Not something like a 2nd and 3rd. It HAS TO be two second rounders.

I'd go after both Anton Gustafsson and Jared Staal if they are not taken.

Old
06-04-2008, 10:51 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
will be gone by the 2nd imo

really i like toews with one of the 2nds if we do it, and as for the other two, like that d man going to ND that was mentioned a few posts back, and besides that, hayes sounds good too.

plus all have 4 years to develop in college
Not sold on Toews at all.

He is nothing like his brother.

IMO i would stay away from Toews.

Stay away from guys with the family bloodlines.

The only reason i mention Staal is because he is VERY young and had a decently solid season based on his age. But he is still a project IMO.

EDIT: A project that we will probably not have to worry about by the time he is ready for the AHL. I should note.

Last edited by SupersonicMonkey*: 06-04-2008 at 10:58 AM.
Old
06-04-2008, 10:59 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by PukkuMikku View Post
You know, i'm starting to warm up to that idea of trading down, if i guarantees us TWO more picks in the the second round.

That does make more sense.

That would make 3 picks for us in the second round.

OK... i think im sold on it.

However, we better be getting back two second rounders. Not something like a 2nd and 3rd. It HAS TO be two second rounders.

I'd go after both Anton Gustafsson and Jared Staal if they are not taken.
If Bluenote13 is correct, and LA is looking to move up from 28, the Rangers are in a prime position, at 20, for a deal...as long as a player that they REALLY want is not on the board. Frankly, to move up 8 slots, I'm thinking we get back their 47th pick, and perhaps even the 3rd round pick that the Rangers sent in the Avery deal.

Old
06-04-2008, 10:59 AM
Pizza

Given the conditions set forth above, I'd gamble on a project with the last name of Staal.

Closed Thread