HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs Draft Prediction Thread

Old
06-03-2008, 11:01 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

vCash: 500
I want to see the Habs trading up to put their hands on Beach.

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 11:07 PM
Amputechture

[QUOTE=Analyzer;14302399]Jokinen isn't a first rounder. Simon Gagne isn't a small man himself.

I'd be shocked if he went 15th -20th. If he goes late in the first, I'll be a bit surprised, but not as much.

prepared to be shocked and/or surprised when he is picked around these spots then. Really, it shouldnt come as a great shock to you seeing as he is being seen as a player going to be drafted around that time in most mock drafts.

Amputechture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 11:50 PM
MaSsTeR911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Jokinen isn't a first rounder. Simon Gagne isn't a small man himself.

But hey, when we get eliminated by yet another team that pushed us around, you can cheer and go "Yippi We got Jokinen lolz. We picked him ahead of possibly 5-10 players who were better made for our team, but now we're stuck with this guy.
Jokinen did really well at NHL combine and he's now at 182lbs! Like it or not, Jokinen will be gone late 1st or early 2nd. He still a good option if a top talent don't falls to us. But hey...you don't want a D, you don't want small guy...is there something more you don't want?! Have you ever heard about BPA?! Ohhh...and I don't think Deschamps will go 2nd round to be honest!

MaSsTeR911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 02:29 AM
VirginiaMtlExpat
Iggy button advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markov79fan View Post
Jaroslav janus sv% is actually not bad for someone who has a gaa of 4,50 or something
Exactly.
1982-83 Granby Bisons QMJHL 54 13 35 1 0 6.26
1983-84 Granby Bisons QMJHL 61 29 29 1 0 4.44 4 0 4 0 5.41
1984-85 Granby Bisons QMJHL 44 16 25 1 0 5.55
Can't just go by statistics.

VirginiaMtlExpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 04:31 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markov79fan View Post
Whitesnake, you know i love you man and your one of my favorite here at hf but danny kristo as a 1st rd pick for the habs? Are you drunk or on drugs? I need some explanation here...
I know it's a bit of a reach, reason why I put 3 names out there. Don't forget that's a prediction not a wish as you'll see my favorites in the draft thread real soon.

But I put Kristo up there 'cause I believe he's underrated, got speed to burn and is pretty skilled. I'm also throwing his name out there 'cause if Timmins still loves guys with great feet agility, well he's up there. Sure not a big guy by any means, and needs to work on his defensive game, still he's a surefire 2nd rounder, so wouldn't be the first time a projected 2nd rounder ends up late 1st round no?

Add to this that I'm again going a lot wih the US boys which I still believe it's a route we'll end up taking and that Timmins has stopped surprising me with picks that was picked early by everybody's standards (Price, Fischer...) and you've got yourself a recipe for that kind of pick. Again not my choice, and a reach to my liking, but he's not a bad player.

Anyway, my predictions come with the fact that guys I want, the Deschamps, Carlsson, Jokinen, and others should all be gone when it will be our time to talk. So I can't predict Deschamps if in my mind he's gone when it's our turn.

Last edited by Whitesnake: 06-04-2008 at 04:48 AM.
Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 04:52 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by kostitsyn1489 View Post
I havent seen Goloubef play, but heard good stuff on him, what kind of player is he?
While watching McDonagh he just stood out for me everytime by his maturity, his great first pass and you could see, despite his stats, that the kid will be a good offensive d-man that will need a bit more seasoning for his defensive play. But everytime I saw him, again, his poise, maturity and hockey sense were the first things I noticed. But also how underrated his offensive game will turn out to be despite his numbers.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 04:58 AM
Kikizaz

No one wants the Belarussian? Stefanovich.

Kikizaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 08:54 AM
GNick42

Tedenby

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 09:26 AM
Darz

One thing I predict is the habs will either trade up in the first round to nab a player Timmins really likes, or will trade down adding another pick along the way. I would guess the latter.

06-04-2008, 09:39 AM
GNick42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldat Popinski View Post
Halak and Janus are similar. Both played with Bratislava Slovan Harvard and both came in the chl.

I would say Janus has better pro potential.

You can see his stats
http://www.ottershockey.com/team/pla...aroslav-janus/
Where in the draft will he go? 3rd round

Old
06-04-2008, 09:57 AM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz View Post
One thing I predict is the habs will either trade up in the first round to nab a player Timmins really likes, or will trade down adding another pick along the way. I would guess the latter.
I would guess the latter as well, and I think it makes sense for the Habs in this draft. Drafting 2 Trivino/Kristo/Sauve/Jokinen/Jenks tier players seems like a safer bet than drafting 1 Dalpe/Deschamps tier player. The 15-50 range seems pretty wide open to me (like most drafts).

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 09:59 AM
GNick42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
I would guess the latter as well, and I think it makes sense for the Habs in this draft. Drafting 2 Trivino/Kristo/Sauve/Jokinen/Jenks tier players seems like a safer bet than drafting 1 Dalpe/Deschamps tier player. The 15-50 range seems pretty wide open to me (like most drafts).
Timmins will probably hang on to the pick until Deschamps is gone...then trade for an extra 2nd rounder(2006).

Old
06-04-2008, 10:01 AM
BadKiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikizaz View Post
No one wants the Belarussian? Stefanovich.
I do, but I was not impressed from the little I saw from him. In the few games I saw, he was pretty much invisible the whole game with a few good shifts. People started to say that he is unmotivated and soft. He dropped a lot because of that, even if he was named rookie of the year guys like Deschamps passed him in the rankings. I like to think all his bad rep was him trying to adjust to a new league, a new country and a new position.

I would of liked to see him centering a line. People labeled him as a future winger, because he played like one. But I wounder if he would of played differently as a center. Maybe all this apparent lack of motivation was just a young guy always thinking about where he should be on the ice.

What he did manage to impress me with is his wrist shot. It reminds me of Andrei Kostitsyn's, but Stefanovich uses it more.

All things considered at 17 years old this guy still produced similar stats as an 18 years old Radulov and Sergei Kostitsyn in the CHL.

I would love if the habs picked this guy up, but I think if they do it will be for the second round and he probably wont be there.

BadKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 11:53 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

I'm gona assume that the top 20 will look something like this, (in no order)

stamkos, doughty, bogosian, schenn, pietrangelo, wilson, boedker, hodgson, filatov, myers, tedenby, colborne, beach, boychuk, del zotto, eberly, bailey, tuebert, gustafsson and a goalie say pickard.

If that's the case it leaves us a good shot at one of Deschamps, Jokinen, Sauve but I guess we'll have to see how it all shakes out in 2 more weeks.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 12:04 PM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamrlikTheStud View Post
I want to see the Habs trading up to put their hands on Beach.
Beach is an interesting situation. He's big, tough, mean and has solid hands, but also has a huge attitude problem and had a terrible second half, which has hurt his status in the Draft. Maybe not as bad as it should have, only because he is still a poor man's Eric Lindros. There is potential for him to drop due to his temper, but it only hurts a player so much.

If Beach was in our reach, it would be very smart to take him. The guy might have a temper, but he also grew up a Habs fan. There is a good chance he'd tone it down due to being humble to wear the Habs jersey.

Anyway, I said the Habs should go for David Toews. I'm a big fan of anyone who goes to Shattuck and even if he doesn't turn into Jonathan, he'll still be very talented in his own right. this Deschamps craze thats just come up, I don't know. He'd be a good pick, no complaints. I just don't want a defenceman. That would be the worst selection possible.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 12:40 PM
Blades 0f Steel

I can see Deschamps available at 25 easily.

I think teams will go for Robak, Carlson, Karlsson, Gardiner and a goalie and he'll still be there.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 12:43 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
Beach is an interesting situation. He's big, tough, mean and has solid hands, but also has a huge attitude problem and had a terrible second half, which has hurt his status in the Draft. Maybe not as bad as it should have, only because he is still a poor man's Eric Lindros. There is potential for him to drop due to his temper, but it only hurts a player so much.

If Beach was in our reach, it would be very smart to take him. The guy might have a temper, but he also grew up a Habs fan. There is a good chance he'd tone it down due to being humble to wear the Habs jersey.

Anyway, I said the Habs should go for David Toews. I'm a big fan of anyone who goes to Shattuck and even if he doesn't turn into Jonathan, he'll still be very talented in his own right. this Deschamps craze thats just come up, I don't know. He'd be a good pick, no complaints. I just don't want a defenceman. That would be the worst selection possible.
I agree that if Beach was within the Habs grasp that they should try for him and that he will smarten up knowing he's a Hab. Only problem is the two concussions he's suffered already. I don't know how serious they are but it's still something to think about.

And a defenceman would not be the worst selection possible, you can never have too many. A goalie in the first round is the thing that would piss me off.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 12:54 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
I agree that if Beach was within the Habs grasp that they should try for him and that he will smarten up knowing he's a Hab. Only problem is the two concussions he's suffered already. I don't know how serious they are but it's still something to think about.

And a defenceman would not be the worst selection possible, you can never have too many. A goalie in the first round is the thing that would piss me off.
To me it's not just that he had 2 concussions, it's how he got them, and the fact that he hasn't been the same since.

Old
06-04-2008, 12:58 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by KostitsyntheBagBaby View Post
To me it's not just that he had 2 concussions, it's how he got them, and the fact that he hasn't been the same since.
Didn't Latendresse have concussion(s) in the Juniors as well? Though he got them differently I don't think it affected his play. Montreal have some of the best doctors out there so if they check on him and see he's alright then I wouldn't be too worried. I mean a 17 year old getting concussed then barely missing any playing time, it's going to affect his production afterwards. With rest he could be as good as new.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 02:05 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Didn't Latendresse have concussion(s) in the Juniors as well? Though he got them differently I don't think it affected his play. Montreal have some of the best doctors out there so if they check on him and see he's alright then I wouldn't be too worried. I mean a 17 year old getting concussed then barely missing any playing time, it's going to affect his production afterwards. With rest he could be as good as new.
well he had a concussion after he was drafted. As I recall half of the board was ready to write him off as a bust.

Old
06-04-2008, 02:38 PM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
You can, though. Our D depth is ridiculous. Our left wing depth is shallow, our right wing depth is very shallow and our center depth is strong but with no-one who is a stand out, potential top 6 center. After drafting a defenceman in our last two 1st Rounders, its time to draft something else.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 03:31 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
if we get Colborne and Jokinen at the draft I will be really happy.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 03:55 PM
GNick42

Just to shift gears a little here...what do you think of trading up? Soldat has told us TT is crazy about Filatov. What if he slides a little, THN Draft Preview has Columbus trying to deal their pick (6th overall) for immediate help

Old
06-04-2008, 04:00 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
And who did you have in mind? Valentenko+Locke+3rd for 1st?

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 04:03 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNick42 View Post
Just to shift gears a little here...what do you think of trading up? Soldat has told us TT is crazy about Filatov. What if he slides a little, THN Draft Preview has Columbus trying to deal their pick (6th overall) for immediate help
if they trade it to anyone it's probably to Florida for Jokinen or to the Leafs to move up 1 spot. That's assuming NYI don't select Filatov.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarfangor View Post
And who did you have in mind? Valentenko+Locke+3rd for 1st?
*kicks you in the mid-section and gives you a Stone Cold Stunner*

Corey freaking Locke??? No way we give him up!