HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

RUMOR: Blackhawks to Host Winter Classic Game next Season

Old
05-29-2008, 03:54 PM
DontStepanMe

vCash: 500
I don't understand why they wouldn't do a Rangers-Red Wings one in Detroit. It seems like you would get the most hockey fans, and non-fans attention w/ that game.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2008, 04:08 PM
beastly115

Stupid of the NHL not to go with Yankee stadium. A hockey game at Yankee stadium would attract way more attention than any other winter classic game ever could.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2008, 04:49 PM
BlueBlooded

Send a message via AIM to BlueBlooded
In my opinion that's just ****ing retarded. Neither of those are small market teams but how can you beat NYR and NYI/Boston/NJ at Yankee Stadium?

BlueBlooded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2008, 05:56 PM
ap215

An outdoor game between Chicago and Detroit at Wrigley interesting.

ap215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2008, 06:03 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBlooded View Post
In my opinion that's just ****ing retarded. Neither of those are small market teams but how can you beat NYR and NYI/Boston/NJ at Yankee Stadium?
Interesting!

We in the Midwest couldn't give a %(#! about a NYR vs Bos game. And outside of NY no one cares to see the Isles. In NJ majority of fans are either Rangers fans or Flyers fans so why would the NHL put a team that is 3rd in popularity in its own state on national TV.

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2008, 11:07 PM
nyrmetros

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
Stupid of the NHL not to go with Yankee stadium. A hockey game at Yankee stadium would attract way more attention than any other winter classic game ever could.
agreed. I actualy did want to see Det at Chi @ Wrigley, but the year after the Rangers play at Yankee Stadium.

nyrmetros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 01:02 AM
Hollywood163

It's always laughable when I hear people overestimate the interest in our beloved sport of hockey in the Tri-State area. Unless the NHL stocked Yankee stadium with tons of VI P's, I'm not even sure that the game would have sold out. Jan 1st during the height of football season? At a time when the Giants might very well be defending their Super Bowl championship? To use a Bronx vernacular...Fuuugetabouutit!!!

Very few people would have cared. The game won't suddenly have NY area fans interested in hockey. You would listen to the FAN that night and maybe Steve Sommers would devote 5 minutes to it. He would take his first call and they'll want to talk about Eli Manning.

I'm glad the game went to Detroit / Chicago.

Please stop saying that this is a major hockey market.

It's sad but true.

Last edited by Hollywood163: 05-30-2008 at 01:10 AM.
Hollywood163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 07:45 AM
BlueBlooded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood163 View Post
It's always laughable when I hear people overestimate the interest in our beloved sport of hockey in the Tri-State area. Unless the NHL stocked Yankee stadium with tons of VI P's, I'm not even sure that the game would have sold out. Jan 1st during the height of football season? At a time when the Giants might very well be defending their Super Bowl championship? To use a Bronx vernacular...Fuuugetabouutit!!!

Very few people would have cared. The game won't suddenly have NY area fans interested in hockey. You would listen to the FAN that night and maybe Steve Sommers would devote 5 minutes to it. He would take his first call and they'll want to talk about Eli Manning.

I'm glad the game went to Detroit / Chicago.

Please stop saying that this is a major hockey market.

It's sad but true.
That's fine but I cared. I wanted to go and now I can't. Because we were led on that it wsould be here for a decent chunk of time I have a right to be angry. Sure, I think that it would have been more marketable here, not just in the area but for the NHL as a whole but I'm still more sore about it because I was looking forward to going.

Old
05-30-2008, 08:35 AM
squishy

On the NHL Hour yesterday on XM Bettman denied a decision had been made, and said any reports that claim it had or that an announcement was imminent were without merit. This isn't a done deal, and as many as 5 locations remain in the mix.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 09:04 AM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBlooded View Post
That's fine but I cared. I wanted to go and now I can't. Because we were led on that it wsould be here for a decent chunk of time I have a right to be angry. Sure, I think that it would have been more marketable here, not just in the area but for the NHL as a whole but I'm still more sore about it because I was looking forward to going.
Actually, you don't have to the right to be angry if you based your belief solely on rumors. There never was an official announcement, only statements that Yankee Stadium was one of several sites being considered, so it's not like they said "yes, definitely Yankee Stadium, go buy your tickets" and then changed their minds.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 10:18 AM
squishy

Quote:
With desperation setting in, the three parties who must work out the complex logistics associated with the event - the NHL, the Yankees and the Mayor's Office - plan to sit down next week for a Stadium hockey summit.

"This is not dead yet," NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly told the Daily News yesterday.

Although reports yesterday stated that the NHL will play its 2009 Winter Classic at Wrigley Field - with the Detroit Red Wings visiting the Blackhawks - the preferred option is to have the Rangers play host to the Boston Bruins in what would be the final sporting event at the current Yankee Stadium.

"The only two options at this point are Yankee Stadium and Wrigley Field," Daly said. "Wrigley Field is not done."
Quote:
While NHL officials have performed several site surveys and even reserved the trucks and materials that would be needed to build a rink on the Stadium field, two issues have so far proven to be insurmountable hurdles.

The parking lot adjacent to the Stadium that would house NBC's broadcast trucks is scheduled for demolition Dec.1. And delaying the demolition by a month could run a couple of million dollars in added construction costs in order to have the new park and parking lots that will be built there ready in time for the opening of the new Yankee Stadium in April.

Plus, the Stadium needs to be winterized. If the plumbing couldn't be counted upon to perform in sub-freezing temperatures, for example, thousands of portable bathrooms would have to be set up.
Quote:
Contrary to what many have assumed, the Yankees have no problem with the final event at the Stadium being a hockey game. Chief operating officer Lonn Trost has been the Yankees' point man for the event. He and Daly have been in frequent conversation over the last several months, speaking as recently as yesterday afternoon.

Said one high-ranking Yankees official: "We're all for it. And I'm sure these issues could be resolved."
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ho...aying_i-1.html

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 10:22 AM
BlueShirts88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to BlueShirts88
From what I understand, the NHL is tied between the two cities and has not made a choice yet, so the title update is misleading.

05-30-2008, 10:53 AM
vladmyir111

vCash: 0
It's going to happen at Yankee stadium unless the logistics are truly insurmountable, and if they were I doubt they would still be talking about it now.

It's not even a NY or Rangers bias, it's advertising for the league.

Ask an average person what a blackhawk or redwing is or where wrigley field is and most probably would not know.

vladmyir111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 11:11 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladmyir111 View Post
It's going to happen at Yankee stadium unless the logistics are truly insurmountable, and if they were I doubt they would still be talking about it now.

Ask an average person what a blackhawk or redwing is or where wrigley field is and most probably would not know.
Ask an average person what a ranger is and expect the exact same reaction so what's your point?

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 12:24 PM
tlallstar6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Ask an average person what a ranger is and expect the exact same reaction so what's your point?
rang-er

–noun
1. forest ranger.
2. one of a body of armed guards who patrol a region.
3. (initial capital letter) a U.S. soldier in World War II specially trained for making surprise raids and attacks in small groups. Compare commando (def. 1).
4. a soldier specially trained in the techniques of guerrilla warfare, esp. in jungle terrain.
5. a person who ranges or roves.
6. (esp. in Texas) a member of the state police.
7. British. a keeper of a royal forest or park.
8. Building Trades. wale1 (def. 5).
9. (initial capital letter) one of a series of instrumented U.S. space probes launched in the 1960s that transmitted closeup pictures of the moon before impacting the lunar surface.

duh

tlallstar6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 05:33 PM
BlueBlooded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
Actually, you don't have to the right to be angry if you based your belief solely on rumors. There never was an official announcement, only statements that Yankee Stadium was one of several sites being considered, so it's not like they said "yes, definitely Yankee Stadium, go buy your tickets" and then changed their minds.
Lol did you just tell me I have no right to be angry about something? I could be angry Pluto's not a planet anymore or angry the sky is blue if I wanted to. Rumor's are more than enough to get upset about. I'm sure if there was a rumor we would sign Hossa for 5m a year for 4 years and then it didn't come true there would be a lot of angry Ranger fans. It wasn't just a random web blog that had the rumor either, it was featured on mainstream radio and television quite prominently even (wrongfully so) confirmed by MSG at one point. So why don't you relax and stop telling me how to feel because its just a rumor. If I wanted that I'd see a therapist or talk to my girlfriend about it.

Last edited by BlueBlooded: 05-30-2008 at 05:39 PM.
Old
06-01-2008, 09:33 PM
nyrmetros

so winter plumbing at Yankee Stadium is the major hurdle ?

Old
06-01-2008, 10:03 PM
mike14

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladmyir111 View Post

Oh come on, everyone has seen Blues Brothers, it's 1060 west Addison, probably the most famous sports address ever

mike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 11:40 PM
battlerex99

I actually don't have a problem with this. I would have loved to see the game come to New York, but the last sporting event ever in Yankee Stadium should be a baseball game, not a hockey game.

Plus, I'm going to college near Chicago next year, so I'll actually be able to see the game now

battlerex99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 09:36 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmetros View Post
so winter plumbing at Yankee Stadium is the major hurdle ?
No I think it's the demolition of the parking lot, the plumbing isn't a big deal they can set up portable restrooms if they have too.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 09:50 AM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by battlerex99 View Post
I actually don't have a problem with this. I would have loved to see the game come to New York, but the last sporting event ever in Yankee Stadium should be a baseball game, not a hockey game.
Very true. This is probably why it won't happen

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 10:10 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlallstar6 View Post
rang-er

–noun
1. forest ranger.
2. one of a body of armed guards who patrol a region.
3. (initial capital letter) a U.S. soldier in World War II specially trained for making surprise raids and attacks in small groups. Compare commando (def. 1).
4. a soldier specially trained in the techniques of guerrilla warfare, esp. in jungle terrain.
5. a person who ranges or roves.
6. (esp. in Texas) a member of the state police.
7. British. a keeper of a royal forest or park.
8. Building Trades. wale1 (def. 5).
9. (initial capital letter) one of a series of instrumented U.S. space probes launched in the 1960s that transmitted closeup pictures of the moon before impacting the lunar surface.

duh
I suppose there are some morons stupid enough to pay to see a hockey game between forest rangers.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 11:39 AM
Fletch

vlad...

I don't understand your point. The last game was played between the Penguins and Sabres. 80k+ were in attendence and it was wildly successful. The object of the Winter Classic game is to promote the game, its stars and its team, as well as to promote the game within a certain region. Would many think that a game in Buffalo would be so successful? I understand that it was about marketing Crosby - but woulnd't Crosby vs. a different team be a better matchup?

Personally, I think a game between the Blackhawks and Red Wings at Wrigley would be hugely successful. Two original six teams playing in a stadium that is well-recognized throughout North America. It's not Yankees Stadium, but it's still not a bad choice at all, especially if the Blackhawks continue to improve and the Wings win the Cup.

Of course, there are many ways to slice this as there are numerous options. It's not real easy to f- this one up.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 11:41 AM
Fletch

Graf...

I heard the same. Plumbing's an issue, but it's an issue they feel they can easily resolve.

Personally I still believe that having a game in NYC is taking some chances. The weather could easily be 40 degrees the entire week, making for some tough ice. At least in Wrigley you're pretty much assured of some freezing temperatures around that time.

Heck, perhaps they should just do it at a neutral site - in Green Bay - there would be no need to install a rink there as they would just play on the frozen tundra.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 10:12 PM
nyrmetros

Yea we did have a warm New Years this time around. I wore shorts that night. I'd love to see a roller hockey game between the Rangers and Icelanders though....