HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hossa successful at redefining his rep?

Old
06-04-2008, 10:04 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

vCash: 500
Hossa successful at redefining his rep?

I think so. Good Hossa is really freakin good. Regular season and playoffs. Too bad we can't fit him under the cap. Or can we?

06-04-2008, 10:06 PM
broadwayblue

I'm sure he'll field a few decent offers.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 10:07 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chariot View Post
I think so. Good Hossa is really freakin good. Regular season and playoffs. Too bad we can't fit him under the cap. Or can we?
With no Jagr, possibly. With Jagr, very slim chance unless we totally skimp on our D. Which after watching this SCF, is clearly a very poor decision.

Hossa was very good throughout these playoffs for the most part. He had a few missed opportunities for goals in a few games, but was very good in both ends of the ice for the most part.

I think there are far too many teams interested in him at this point though. Some team will break the bank for him.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 10:10 PM
squishy

He's a great player, and I think he put the "no show in the playoffs" debate to rest. But we can't pay another forward $7+ million. If this series should have shown people anything, it's that defense wins Cups. The defense needs to be the priority this summer. No more overspending on free agent forwards until the defense is sorted.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 10:12 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

I totally agree, just lusting for that kind of skill at wing.

Anyways......

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 10:35 PM
Nemchinov13

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
He's a great player, and I think he put the "no show in the playoffs" debate to rest. But we can't pay another forward $7+ million. If this series should have shown people anything, it's that defense wins Cups. The defense needs to be the priority this summer. No more overspending on free agent forwards until the defense is sorted.
I'm not too sure about this year's crop of UFA defensmen. Do we throw big money at one-dimensional guys? But one who intrigues me is Brad Stuart. Poor man's Scott Stevens.

Nemchinov13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 10:54 PM
Ola

Quote:
This summer and down the road the comming 5 years we can fit 1 other star under the cap -- since Gomez is a core guy and Drury a character/role player -- that next 8-9m guy got to be a top 10 player in this league.

In the NHL today there is allot of room for individual stars -- somewhere down the road our top 3 got to be able to compete with the top 3 of Washington, or Pittsburgh or Tampa among others. Hossa, Gomez and Drury wouldn't even remotely match up against thoose teams top 3's -- thats a cold fact. But like Gomez, Drury and Nash/Kovalchuk/LeCav/Heatly would put us in the same neighboorhhood atleast.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 11:12 PM
Zirp

Think you're going to see Hossa picking up a fat pay check somewhere out west. He's not 'core' to the Pens, and I'd be shocked if you see them put themselves in a position to lose some of their kids in the near future for Hossa. Even after they were eliminated tonight, Mario called out their core by name: Crosby, Malkin, Staal, Fleury. After that I'd expect all bets are off.

Zirp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 11:16 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zirp View Post
Even after they were eliminated tonight, Mario called out their core by name: Crosby, Malkin, Staal, Fleury. After that I'd expect all bets are off.
Really? He didn't mention Ruutu?

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 11:19 PM
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov

Send a message via AIM to Jarkko Immonen
If Hossa had a brain he'd stay in Pitt for less money.

Jarkko Immonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 11:20 PM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemchinov13 View Post
I'm not too sure about this year's crop of UFA defensmen. Do we throw big money at one-dimensional guys? But one who intrigues me is Brad Stuart. Poor man's Scott Stevens.
Just cause there's no one to throw big money at amongst the group of UFA d-men this summer doesn't mean the Rangers should spend their extra dough on another forward. If the answer isn't available this summer via free agency, maybe it becomes available via trade over the course of the season. If you've got no wiggle room under the cap, you limit your options and potential trading partners.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 11:35 PM
ThirdEye

Pens not winning the Cup and Hossa having a good playoffs is definitely going to hurt Pittsburgh's chances of bringing him back. I can see him getting 8.5 million from teams around the league with the increased cap. Malkin will probably request upwards of 9 million, and for that reason I don't see him staying either. I think Malkin excels when the pressure is squarely on him. Who knows though

To be honest, for the money that Hossa is going to want I'd rather get a proven defenseman that can play with Staal. I think that will get us further than a good forward like Hossa. I was impressed by him, but still... too costly. Only if Jagr decides to leave

I think Hossa and Gomez would be a damn good pair though. Good offensively and defensively

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 11:45 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Mmmm I guess we may find out if Malkin was injured or what, but

Hossa > Malkin in the playoffs.

If the Pens think Malkin is going to demand Ovechkin $$$ can they really keep him and Sid?

They could sign Hossa and trade Malkin for the lion share of a teams farm and some above average roster players.

What would Slats give for Malkin?

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 11:47 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemchinov13 View Post
Stuart & Orpik tandom would be quite a sight on our blueline.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 12:10 AM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
They could sign Hossa and trade Malkin for the lion share of a teams farm and some above average roster players.

What would Slats give for Malkin?
Don't see that happening.

If anything, Pittsburgh will pull a Tampa Bay and build their team around only Sid and Malkin if they have to and go through another rebuilding period to keep both of the team.

Although, when they dealt Christensen, Armstrong, Esposito, and the 1st in 08 for Hossa, they pretty much depleted their farm system to get him, so dealing Malkin, while not exactly what I see them doing, is not out of the realm of possibility if Shero thinks they can't manage capwise with Sid and Malkin both making 8.5 mill+.

17 million tied up in 2 guys is going to be tough to swallow, even with the cap going up like it has so far.

I've been wrong about the cap in the past though...

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 06:05 AM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarkko Immonen View Post
If Hossa had a brain he'd stay in Pitt for less money.
I was thinking about this last night. He could probably take 5-6M and be Crosby's Kurri. They'd make history together. Thank goodness for our sake that it probably won't happen.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 06:38 AM
Vitto79

Yep, great post season for him and I would love to see the Rangers scoop him up and play on a Gomez line

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 08:18 AM
Nemchinov13

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
Just cause there's no one to throw big money at amongst the group of UFA d-men this summer doesn't mean the Rangers should spend their extra dough on another forward. If the answer isn't available this summer via free agency, maybe it becomes available via trade over the course of the season. If you've got no wiggle room under the cap, you limit your options and potential trading partners.
Oh no, I'm not implying that we should sign Hossa. IMO, it's either Jagr or Hossa.

Nemchinov13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 08:32 AM
Fletch

He likely did...

although the three prior series in which he played, prior to his stint with Atlanta, he had three goals in 7 games; 16 points in 18 games and 10 points in 12 games - I'm not sure I'd say he didn't show up. He wasn't a superstar, but those numbers weren't so bad.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 08:59 AM
zestystrat

Maybe. But if he plays poorly in the playoffs next year (wherever he is) it's still going to dog him...unless he wins a cup.

But if he's playing somewhere other than Pitt and does poorly I think you'll hear people say that he had a great team around him and that was why he did so well in 2008. Plus there will be a lot of heat on him to play well with the big contrat he's going to get.

zestystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 09:50 AM
NYR Viper

i would rather sign orpik and stuart as both are about the same age and hit like trucks!

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 12:40 AM
Draft Guru
The Wizard of Özil

If Jagr goes, I gotta think Sather will definitely be in the running. That said, I'd rather see our team use that money for a #1 D-man. Only problem is there are none available this year

Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 09:16 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guru View Post
If Jagr goes, I gotta think Sather will definitely be in the running. That said, I'd rather see our team use that money for a #1 D-man. Only problem is there are none available this year
i put up a team that i thought would be pretty good if jagr leaves....i agree, i wouldnt go after hossa, i would sign redden for 4 years and go after stuart or orpik and i think that will help A LOT as the pp would get better, the defense gets better, and deeper, and i think a better defense will allow the forwards(who all have a lot of speed) to break earlier and create more offense

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 09:37 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guru View Post
Probably right about the first part. Although, I think Redden could return to form with a change of scenery and a partner like Staal.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 12:07 PM
Blueshirt Brawler

If Jagr goes I could see the Rangers entering the sweepstakes. That's why I think it's important for Sather to find out Jagr's asking price before July 1st. We all know how the best players available sign within 48 hours of the start of free agency. If Jagr is out, then we need to fill a void and I think Hossa would be a great addition. But if Jagr drags this out we could be left holding a wad of cash with no one to give it to. Because guys like Hossa, Malone, Orpik, etc, will sign rather quickly with someone.

Blueshirt Brawler is offline   Reply With Quote