HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

JdM news: AKost, Sundin, Hossa, Jagr, new Rules....

Old
06-04-2008, 09:26 AM
Kimota
Three Bananas

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
Sundin will NEVER play for Montreal only because he's an Icon in maple laugh country. It's IMPOSSIBLE....

25 million for 3 years .... and we might have a 5 percent chance.
Well there's icon and there's ICON(!!!). Sundin is the equivalent of Koivu as far as being guys that have been the soul of the franchise for years. But sometime people have to move on even if the guy have to move to a team that we hate. I mean sure Sundin is loved but he's no Wendel Clark(like we've loved Saku but he's no the Rocket or Flower Power).

Also getting Sundin would be the ideal time to demote Saku on the third line. And maybe do the same with Higgins(although again Higgins could be included in a deal to get a top winger).

Last edited by Beakermania*: 06-04-2008 at 09:56 AM.
Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 03:00 PM
SOLR

According to Eklund(yeah I know) the lineup for next year will be:

Higgins-Koivu-Selanne
Kostitsyn-Sundin-Kovalev
Latendresse-Pleckanec-S.K.
Chipchura-Lapierre-Begin-Kostopoulos-Stewart

Ok. Someone is day dreaming and it's not me.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 03:06 PM
Rayne*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
There is no way that Sundin goes to Montreal. It would ahve been like Ryan Smyth going to Calgary.
Because Sundin was the face of the franchise? So was Doug Gilmour, and look what happened there.

Rayne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 03:14 PM
Squeaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post

Higgins-Koivu-Selanne
Kostitsyn-Sundin-Kovalev

It totally is you. Eklund never said anything like that. You managed to turn "The Canadiens are planning a major offer" from an e-mail Eklund is quoting, to penciling Sundin into the lineup.

Eklund does a fine job on his own of making his rumors looking silly, he doesn't need your help.

Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 03:19 PM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky View Post
It totally is you. Eklund never said anything like that. You managed to turn "The Canadiens are planning a major offer" from an e-mail Eklund is quoting, to penciling Sundin into the lineup.

Eklund does a fine job on his own of making his rumors looking silly, he doesn't need your help.
Care to put your sarcasm detector "on" next time?

Old
06-04-2008, 05:38 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by LV Hab View Post
I'd actually want them to follow soccer and award 3 points for a regulation win. 2 or 3 points for an OT win, and 1 point to the loser.
2 points for a shoot out win and 1 point to the loser.

Losing in a shoot out and getting nothing would be freaking brutal. It is a bit of a gimmick, I'm not ready for it to take on an even more significant role in deciding points and final standings.
I feel strongly if you win you get rewarded and if you lose you get nothing. If the shootout is a gimmick or not is irrelevant, what's important is it settles ties, which were pointless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
That's a myth. So far from reality and what we saw last season. It pisses me off people throw this arround...
Uh, did you read what I wrote at all?

I clearly said that teams NO LONGER play for a tie, so clearly you didn't see that last season. I was saying that you don't see it anymore.

So before you get pissed off, read the post properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post

Higgins-Koivu-Selanne
Kostitsyn-Sundin-Kovalev

Like much of what Eklund puts up on his blog, there is a kernel of truth there, for sure.

I can't say that Koivu had any success in trying to talk Selanne into signing with Montreal, but apparently he did make a hard pitch to Teemu to come to the Canadiens for his swan-song season and Montreal's 100th Anniversary.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 06-04-2008 at 07:38 PM.
FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 06:06 PM
Turboflex*

Habs are in a position where they'll have a TON of cap space next season but maybe not so much in summer 2009 when basically the whole team will be UFA or an expensive RFA and things will be tighter.

This summer, assuming the habs let smolenski, ryder, streit and breezer walk (and they should since these guys are all soft and not deep playoff performers) that leaves about 15 million to spend on free agents for one year. Habs big need next year is for an impact winger or two so they can ice 3 solid lines. Who signs 1 year contracts? Vets

Sundin would be the biggest score, habs could throw even 9-12 million at him for 1 year. Huge overpayment? So what?? We got the cap space, we got the depth, we want to be in the SCF for the centennial, make it happen. It would be just 1 year and the habs would re-evaluate after. Next best option is to throw that same amount at Jagr for 1 year.

Habs would need maybe a 3rd/4th line player to replace smolenski, preferably a smart vet canadian player who can hit and would play like demon possessed for the cup (a roberts type). Maybe Martin Lapointe? Again we might need him for just 1 year, so offer him a nice 1 year sum, 3-4 million? Overpaying, but you gotta give some premium on 1 year deals.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 07:41 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboflex View Post
Habs are in a position where they'll have a TON of cap space next season but maybe not so much in summer 2009 when basically the whole team will be UFA or an expensive RFA and things will be tighter.

This summer, assuming the habs let smolenski, ryder, streit and breezer walk (and they should since these guys are all soft and not deep playoff performers) that leaves about 15 million to spend on free agents for one year. Habs big need next year is for an impact winger or two so they can ice 3 solid lines. Who signs 1 year contracts? Vets

Sundin would be the biggest score, habs could throw even 9-12 million at him for 1 year. Huge overpayment? So what?? We got the cap space, we got the depth, we want to be in the SCF for the centennial, make it happen. It would be just 1 year and the habs would re-evaluate after. Next best option is to throw that same amount at Jagr for 1 year.

Habs would need maybe a 3rd/4th line player to replace smolenski, preferably a smart vet canadian player who can hit and would play like demon possessed for the cup (a roberts type). Maybe Martin Lapointe? Again we might need him for just 1 year, so offer him a nice 1 year sum, 3-4 million? Overpaying, but you gotta give some premium on 1 year deals.
Exactly. That's exactly what's going to happen should Sundin be on the market. There will be no 5 million dollar offers, it's going to be upwards toward the max end of the range, for a short term.

People are going cry "overpayment" but it will be right in the right neighbourhood for a star player whose situation doesn't dictate the need for a big dollar/big term type of deal.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 07:41 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
Uh, did you read what I wrote at all?

I clearly said that teams NO LONGER play for a tie, so clearly you didn't see that last season. I was saying that you don't see it anymore.

So before you get pissed off, read the post properly.
I appologize I was skimming the post quickly before I left for work.

Anyway I'd like to go in to more detail.
Lets get one thing out of the way. I dont watch hockey to get aggravated. I watch it to be entertained and have fun.

With that in mind I dont think any team or most fans will accept to lose a point after a shootout. If a loss is a loss then I would remove the shootout and go back to ties and 1 point for a OT loss. I can handle the other team getting an extra point after a shootout but no way I accept losing a hard earned point in a skills competition (that I like under the current rules).

Going back to no shoutout and no point for losing in OT is also out of the question. Teams kept playing the trap in OT because they were affraid to lose a point and as I stated earlier plugging a shootout under these conditions is a no go for me.

I could go on but this is getting long. I'll just end by saying like Beaker said. Going to 3 points for a win in regulation is something I would consider above any other option.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 09:01 PM
znk

Was this discussed earlier?
Eklund always finds the bait that will get me salivating.
Quote:
If Vinny decides he wants to go elsewhere (which looks to be 50/50) it will be Montreal I am told. I was even told that the Habs have been structuring future contracts based on this likelihood. All I can say is WOW. Wouldn't that be something.

Old
06-04-2008, 10:03 PM
SOLR

Quote:
At this point, you have to wonder how much of this is traffic-bait. But my opinion from the outside of the Vinny situation is that Vincent wants to win now while the lightning are aiming for a rebuild.(Sinking at least 1 more season to get Hedman-Tavares)

Old
06-04-2008, 10:39 PM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboflex View Post
3-4 Million for MARTIN LAPOINTE????????????????????????????

Overpaying Martin Lapointe would be $1-1.5 million

Andrighetto Fabolous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 11:16 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Drama View Post
3-4 Million for MARTIN LAPOINTE????????????????????????????

Overpaying Martin Lapointe would be $1-1.5 million
Holy crap I didnt catch that previous post. It had to be a joke. Lapointe made $2.4M last season and only had 13 points....and he wants to give hima $3-4M contract. That's one of the worst propositions I've ever seen on this board. They wont add a 3rd 4th line player anyway. They should add to the top 2 lines that's it.

Old
06-05-2008, 05:18 AM
Chomsky

Quote:
This one is made up. Either by him or one of his source. BG is probably just restructuring his contract for the core players to be signed. (And it was said in a RDS? article, I'll find it if needed)

Chomsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 07:54 AM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
This one is made up. Either by him or one of his source. BG is probably just restructuring his contract for the core players to be signed. (And it was said in a RDS? article, I'll find it if needed)
Well...I wouldnt doubt they also have a board with Lecavalier on the team.

Old
06-05-2008, 07:58 AM
IBLeaf*

Don't know where people are getting 7M numbers for Sundin.

IBLeaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 08:33 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
IMO, 7 mil is very reasonable for Sundin, especially on a short contract. If he's the Habs' only multi-million dollar acquisition, they'll be fine cap-wise.

As for playing time, I wouldn't worry about that either. Koivu and Plek would get softer minutes, which would be great for their ES production. Someone would move to the wing on the PP. If you want an example of this arrangement working out, look at the Penguins (Crosby, Malkin & Staal).
We could haggle him down to 6 million + 1 in bonus playoff incentives. Plus he's actually an elite player in the NHL and sundin on a GOOD TEAM would actually be amazing. Remember the beginning of this season before he got burned out because he was doing ALL the work for his team?

Imagine Sundin on a team where he didn't have to carry the entire team on his back. This guy is a Forsberg calibre guy, he's just been stuck on a dead end team for years, do not underestimate his abilities.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 08:38 AM
Habs10Habs
Retired

vCash: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakery View Post
Don't know where people are getting 7M numbers for Sundin.
Just guessing obviously, but IMO 7M is probably what he'll sign for. Do you think that's too much, or will it be even higher?

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 09:01 AM
anarmandaleb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
Just guessing obviously, but IMO 7M is probably what he'll sign for. Do you think that's too much, or will it be even higher?
The rumour is going around that that's what he and his agent are looking for. Not that they're in talks with any GMs or anything .

anarmandaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 09:21 AM
Habs10Habs
Retired

vCash: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by anarmandaleb View Post
The rumour is going around that that's what he and his agent are looking for. Not that they're in talks with any GMs or anything .
Oh I know, I was just curious if the poster knew something about Sundin that I didn't.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 06:26 PM
holyhabs

Great time of year

all the rumors, speculations on big players coming to montreal via free agency and trade.

only to be left with samsonov's and smolinski's!

i must love pain.

lecavalier? hossa?

being a habs fan had made me more able to deal with dissapointment.

but now we actually have a good team. so there is a small chance we could get someone good.

ill settle for ryan malone.

holyhabs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 07:17 PM
MonacoBlue

But the Habs have turned a corner
Although Hamrlik was expensive, he was a good UFA acquisition!

I don't know who Gainey is targetting but I'm sure he'll do his best (which is very good - passing up on Hossa was not a mistake). It's the centennial year; the Habs have the draft, the all-star game and I'm sure they'll be pushing for the Cup as well

MonacoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 08:33 PM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
If we don't sign a top flight UFA, I won't care. I'm predicting immense breakout seasons for the Kost bros

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 08:58 PM
Pascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
orly...

"one of his sources"

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote