HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bright Future

Old
06-04-2008, 07:42 PM
newyorkrangers11

vCash: 500
Bright Future

Now, everyone is so worried about who we will or will not sign. Now, worst comes to worst we end up looking at Hartford. First off, Callahan, Dawes, Dubinsky, all players who impressed everyone with their play at such young ages. Korpikoski, Parenteau, Anisimov, Cherepanov and Byers are players we haven't really seen any of, but are believed to have great potential. With the signings going what ever way they do, our young kids will provide help when needed. We should try them out not only in pre-season but also in Orr, and Hollweg's spot in actual season games.

newyorkrangers11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 07:46 PM
broadwayblue

hopefully a few of these kids will pan out.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 08:27 AM
eco's bones

FWIW I don't think the Rangers are very high on Parenteau and in any case I believe he's UFA. A few players should make a run at a Rangers spot--Korpikoski, Byers, Moore, Potter--possibly Sanguinetti (though maybe not all that likely) , Anisimov.

Beyond that group I kind of expect Jessiman to be re-signed. He seems a longer shot for now than some of the above who are forwards but he did show good progess last year. Brodie Dupont and Alex Bourret do not appear ready yet but both are guys that hopefully start to progress more. Dupont is just the kind of the player the Ranger could use--probably more a 3rd line projection--he has good size, decent skills and plays a physical game. Mike Sauer is projected to miss training camp--so I expect when he's healthy again he'll be in Hartford but he could be a callup sometime during the coming year.

Should also mention Josh Gratton who I believe is an RFA. He has NHL experience and might make a run at a 4th line job.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 09:18 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
FWIW I don't think the Rangers are very high on Parenteau and in any case I believe he's UFA. A few players should make a run at a Rangers spot--Korpikoski, Byers, Moore, Potter--possibly Sanguinetti (though maybe not all that likely) , Anisimov.

Beyond that group I kind of expect Jessiman to be re-signed. He seems a longer shot for now than some of the above who are forwards but he did show good progess last year. Brodie Dupont and Alex Bourret do not appear ready yet but both are guys that hopefully start to progress more. Dupont is just the kind of the player the Ranger could use--probably more a 3rd line projection--he has good size, decent skills and plays a physical game. Mike Sauer is projected to miss training camp--so I expect when he's healthy again he'll be in Hartford but he could be a callup sometime during the coming year.

Should also mention Josh Gratton who I believe is an RFA. He has NHL experience and might make a run at a 4th line job.
I think we see all three players take steps forward this year, in terms of development.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 09:19 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
I think we see all three players take steps forward this year, in terms of development.
With the way Hollweg performed, I would expect to see one of Byers/Bourret making a legitimate push for a 4th line spot if they have a good camp.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 09:30 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
With the way Hollweg performed, I would expect to see one of Byers/Bourret making a legitimate push for a 4th line spot if they have a good camp.

I think Byers is the more likely candidate. The Rangers have been very conservative with the prospects they promote. I don't believe that Bourret has shown he's ready yet. He has the potential to be a better player than Byers. Byers just appears to be more prepared to move to the next level.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 09:35 AM
Vitto79

I think Detroit and even Aneheim to an extent last yr proved the draft and growing from within is the way to go

I like Dawes, Dubinsky, Callahan............those are 3 of the top 9 forwards that will be here a long time.............Then add Gomez and Drury for sure................I think Prucha either deserves another shot or they trade him for a equally young player

I remember Renney stating he likes the idea of a Prucha, Drury , Callahan line and I for one would be fine with that as long as Prucha gets PP time he will bounce back either here or somewhere else.........he works hard and is still young

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 09:36 AM
Vitto79

Also I agree with Hartford........I want to see 2 young players make it atleast upfront with either Korpikoski, Moore, Byers

I can see Byers maybe down for one more yr and then he is the new enforcer when Orr leaves to FA

Also Detroit proved you don't need a tough guy especially in the playoffs......they had Downey but he didnt play much

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 09:41 AM
eco's bones

I'm cautiously optimistic on Byers. He's a combative player. Not having watched any Hartford games last year--the picture I have of him might not conform to reality but this is what it is. 142 shots on goal--23 goals. The shots number is not very high for an everyday forward--looking at his size, penalty minutes I would infer that he does a lot of corner and board work--that he gets to the front of the net. It strikes me that he's not the kind that shoots all that often off the rush that scoring literally on one out of 6 shots that he gets most of his goals in close. Getting to the net and staying there at the NHL level will be harder than at the AHL level--but the Rangers lack bigger players that set up around the crease. He got our first goal in preseason on the pwp (against Martin Brodeur I believe) doing exactly that. The Rangers got outplayed physically in the 2nd round by the Penguins. We didn't have as much top end talent either but the physical gap is an area that we could close more easily and Byers might be part of the solution.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 09:46 AM
JayMan82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
I think Detroit and even Aneheim to an extent last yr proved the draft and growing from within is the way to go
They actually proved you need a dynamite Defense...

Both top 4s were top notch...

JayMan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 10:39 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
True, but this assumes that a team is drafting well. Aside from possibly Dubinsky in the future, no impact forwards have hit MSG ice in forever. Staal is the only defenseman who would qualify as an impact player and of course, Lundqvist. Those results are a disgrace.

If you want to tell me that they will in the future you might be right. More likely, your views on these players will turn out to be overly optimistic. Not a criticism of you, everyone thinks their prospects will excel even though the vast majority don't.

The Finals should have taught everyone here a lesson that the Rangers current personnel is light years behind Detroit and Pitt, and Pitt figures to be improved next season so it could be a while until the Rangers are contending for anything meaningful.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 10:47 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMan82 View Post
They actually proved you need a dynamite Defense...

Both top 4s were top notch...
agreed, when you have these as your top 4's, you practically cant lose

pronger-niedermeyer
beauchemain-o'donnel

lidstrom-rafalski
stuart-kronwall

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 11:00 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
I think Byers is the more likely candidate. The Rangers have been very conservative with the prospects they promote. I don't believe that Bourret has shown he's ready yet. He has the potential to be a better player than Byers. Byers just appears to be more prepared to move to the next level.
I agree that Byers is more likely than Bourret. However, if Slats can't come to terms with Avery, and Bourret has a breakout camp, I don't think it's too far of a stretch that he'd be given a shot at the beginning of the season.

I also agree with what people are saying about developing the players you draft, but you can't mention us in the same breath as Anaheim or Detroit. There isn't a better drafting team in the league than Detroit. Some of it may have been luck, sure, but they are a deep, deep squad and it's thanks to their scouting.

Old
06-05-2008, 12:11 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post

when the Rangers traded for Gratton, I was hoping it for the end of Hollweg, well it can still happen

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 12:20 PM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

my hope is that our russians will lead us to glory

poeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 12:31 PM
McRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
True, but this assumes that a team is drafting well. Aside from possibly Dubinsky in the future, no impact forwards have hit MSG ice in forever. Staal is the only defenseman who would qualify as an impact player and of course, Lundqvist. Those results are a disgrace.
A lot of that has to do with the Rangers focusing on Defense and Goaltending in the draft. Aside from Cherepanov and Korpikoski who are still prospects and the great Hugh Jessiman, the last forward taken as a top pick is Lundmark nine years ago.

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 01:15 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRanger View Post
A lot of that has to do with the Rangers focusing on Defense and Goaltending in the draft. Aside from Cherepanov and Korpikoski who are still prospects and the great Hugh Jessiman, the last forward taken as a top pick is Lundmark nine years ago.
That's like saying, aside from those three picks he isn't even trying to improve the offense. That doesn't sound like a great way to do business.

As for goaltending, Montoya turned out to be a miserable pick where they got him (I felt that way at the time, so it's not second-guessing) and he has Staal. Shouldn't our defense be better if Sather was paying little attention to forwards?

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 02:50 PM
McRanger

Quote:
That's like saying, aside from those three picks he isn't even trying to improve the offense. That doesn't sound like a great way to do business.

As for goaltending, Montoya turned out to be a miserable pick where they got him (I felt that way at the time, so it's not second-guessing) and he has Staal. Shouldn't our defense be better if Sather was paying little attention to forwards?
An emphasis on defense is the way to go, it has nothing to do with ignoring offense. Forwards are simply easier to pick up outside the draft.

You expect the current team to be better because of Sather focus on defense in the draft? Well the oldest player Sather could have drafted would be about 26/27, assuming he came from 2000, so if you are wondering where our home grown veterans are than I would suggest you ask Neil Smith. As for our current situation, Lundqvist is 26 and our defense has three 24-or-under home grown players players. Perhaps thats not enough progress for you, but I certainly think its a good start.

Sorry but this just sounds like complaining for the sake of complaining. We have a young team with youth/rookies playing important roles at pretty much every position. And most of the players we got from our best drafts (the ones coming after the lockout) haven't even turned 22 yet, and a lot of them are still waiting to make their NHL debut.

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 04:51 PM
JerseyRangers

Quote:

If you want to tell me that they will in the future you might be right. More likely, your views on these players will turn out to be overly optimistic. Not a criticism of you, everyone thinks their prospects will excel even though the vast majority don't.

The Finals should have taught everyone here a lesson that the Rangers current personnel is light years behind Detroit and Pitt, and Pitt figures to be improved next season so it could be a while until the Rangers are contending for anything meaningful.
OK and how many teams in the last 5 years have drafted an impact forward who was not taken in the top 5?

Not the Isles, Bruins,Wild, Nucks, Stars, Lightning, Canes, Maple Leafs, Sabres, Oilers, Blue Jackets and a few more. Outside of Philly with Carter and Richards, Devils with Parise, and Kings with Brown most GM's have fared worse then the Rangers. The Caps, Pens, Hawks, Coyotes of the world have drafted so high for so many years that a monkey could have made those picks!!! In the last two seasons the Rangers have brought in 7 kids who have played significant minutes. Who has done better.

If the Rangers had had 3 or 4 seasons of top 5 picks like Pitt and fared like they did this season then you might have an argument. Pitt is a horrible example. They had 3 picks first overall in 5 seasons. Not even Mad Mike could have screwed that up!!!

JerseyRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 05:00 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyRangers View Post
OK and how many teams in the last 5 years have drafted an impact forward who was not taken in the top 5?

Not the Isles, Bruins,Wild, Nucks, Stars, Lightning, Canes, Maple Leafs, Sabres, Oilers, Blue Jackets and a few more. Outside of Philly with Carter and Richards, Devils with Parise, and Kings with Brown most GM's have fared worse then the Rangers. The Caps, Pens, Hawks, Coyotes of the world have drafted so high for so many years that a monkey could have made those picks!!! In the last two seasons the Rangers have brought in 7 kids who have played significant minutes. Who has done better.

If the Rangers had had 3 or 4 seasons of top 5 picks like Pitt and fared like they did this season then you might have an argument. Pitt is a horrible example. They had 3 picks first overall in 5 seasons. Not even Mad Mike could have screwed that up!!!
Anaheim drafted two in the same year.

Getzlaf at #19
Perry at #28

Old
06-05-2008, 05:16 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:

Getzlaf at #19
Perry at #28
montreal is the perfect example

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 06:41 PM
JerseyRangers

Quote:

Getzlaf at #19
Perry at #28
True but during that same period we've drafted a stud goalie and a stud d-man. Whose done better? I've never said that the Rangers have done an incredible job drafting these last 4 or 5 seasons. I'm just saying that Sather & Co. have done a credible job -- much better than teams such as the Isles, Devils, Canes, etc. Time to give credit where credit is due.

Can't compare our drafting to Pitt, Washington, the Yotes or the Hawks. If we start to do that then I agree -- Rangers have drafted alot worse than those teams. But I also hope we are all intelligent enough to know why that is!

JerseyRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 07:00 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

The future is not so bright when it comes to this teams #1 need, a sniper to play with Gomez. The organization is brimming with defense and 3rd/4th line NHL prospects, however we are lacking that dominant wing....a hole that will be even more gaping if Jagr leaves. Can Cherepanov come over and be that guy? Maybe, but not next season.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 07:07 PM
Fletch

Despite this 'young' team...

the top five scorers were over the age of 28, four of whom were over 30. Those guys enabled the young guys to succeed. Out of these kids, Dubi led the way with 40 points while playing extensively on a top line with Jagr. The defense is nice and young, but there's only three young guys and I'm not sure what's really in Hartford in regards to NHL potential. I think there are a lot of question marks currently in the organization and this team has a ways to go to take shape.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 07:12 PM
Nemchinov13

2003. You, guys, want an impact/franchise forward? Well, we've had a chance.
Edit:

Nemchinov13 is offline   Reply With Quote