HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alexander Nikulin's Blog Part II

Old
06-03-2008, 10:52 PM
RTWAP*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon View Post
Foligno - Nikulin - Neil (similar to the line put up in Bingo)
McAmmond - Bass - WInchester (fast, gritty line)
That's what I said, except I'd have Bass and Winchester banging in the corners and McAmmond playing C. But given the way they move things around it doesn't much matter.

RTWAP* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 09:06 PM
ThirtyFive

Send a message via MSN to ThirtyFive
And yet another entry from Nukes today, but I'm afraid I'll have to postpone translating it till tomorrow morning.

P.S.: Go Wings!

ThirtyFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 09:38 PM
Huston

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirtyFive View Post
Go Wings!
Yay!

Quote:
And yet another entry from Nukes today, but I'm afraid I'll have to postpone translating it till tomorrow morning.
YAY!!!

Huston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 12:37 PM
ThirtyFive

Let’s summarize the season.
June 5, 2008.

Most memorable roadtrip

Undoubtedly the one when we went to play Philadelphia’s farm team. Not the roadtrip itself, but the game. I scored two goals then. And I especially liked the quality of the chances. Two good shots, one of which went right into the upper corner. And there have been many successful games. In a few I’ve gotten four points. But that one game really stands out from the rest.

Most boring roadtrip

I can’t even recall the towns we went to, but one time we went on a three-game roadtrip. We’d get there in the morning, play in the evening, move on at night. Just hell. And this happened quite often. On the other hand, I liked the hotels.

Most unsuccessful game

There were many of these. In some I finished with a -3 rating. The opponents would score on every shot they’d put on the net. It happens.

Best hotel

In Toronto, that’s without a doubt. Beautiful rooms, with a king-size bed, a plasma TV on the wall, a large room with a kitchen. There are simply no problems with the hotels in North America. And the level of organization within AHL clubs really amazes with its high quality.

Worst arena

I wrote in the blog before that one game during the season was rescheduled for later and moved to a neutral site. And that was a good decision. That arena had low boards made of wood, surrounded by a net. Just a junk yard, not a place to play hockey. What we have at Odintsovo is better.

Most unpleasant moment

Firstly, all the injuries. Secondly, one hit I was a victim of at the very beginning of the season. For some reason I relaxed out on the ice, lowered my head, and was hit right away. That was in the game against the farm team of the Islanders. Interestingly, that was the guy I dropped to the ice in the game at home. People from the stands even applauded such a great hit. I remember the guy getting up and saying, “There will be something next game.” And I didn’t listen. That was Drew Fata. Now I remember him.

Best player

Two players stick the most in my mind. The first is Kris Letang from Pittsburgh, who was later called up to the big team. The second is Toronto’s goaltender Justin Pogge. A young guy, but a very big frame. They’re saying he’ll play for the big team next season. A goaltender of a very good level. It feels good that I’ve scored on him. Can’t single out anyone else. You know, if an AHL team is good, then all the guys are good. And if it’s bad, then nobody stands out. I’ll mention Ray Bourque’s son, Chris. Also a good guy. He’ll be better as he gets older.

Most unusual coach’s practice

All of them. Sometimes I didn’t even understand our coach. Especially regarding forechecking, which he himself recommended doing. For whatever reason he didn’t like how we gained the zone by passing. Ordered we dump the puck at all times. Regardless of what the situation on the ice is like. And if you enter the zone dribbling, you have a good chance of being benched. At any rate, coach’s decisions are not debatable.

Most eccentric player

Here I can only think of tough guys. I can talk about Jeremy Yablonski from our team. I wrote about him in the blog, how he crashed into the coach at practice, but was commended for it. A fearless guy. And you should see him fight! The most memorable was the battle against Syracuse’s tough guy. It was a long fight. What’s amazing is that they really land punches to the face, but still remain standing. Beautiful. By the way, when the linesmen separated them, they skated to each other and hugged.

Worst or best referee

Regarding officiating I had no qualms, if you can imagine. I can’t recall a game where referees were favoring one team or the other. Referees in North America are the most unnoticeable. Of course, once in a while you think you’re being hooked, and you’re thinking why isn’t this being called, but that’s really nothing. I have only good things to say about the officials in the AHL.

Favorite place in Binghamton

The bar near the arena. We’d often spend time there with the team, drinking beer, talking about things. If you ever come here, order the burger. I usually order one there. They make great burgers everywhere in the US.

Most expensive purchase

I bought a laptop to write the blog and read the comments, and also follow Russian news. But haven’t bought a car. The income doesn’t allow it. Perhaps, next season, when I’ll be playing in the NHL.

Last edited by ThirtyFive: 06-05-2008 at 01:55 PM.
Old
06-05-2008, 12:41 PM
Indy on the Road
From the ground up

Quote:
I bought a laptop to write the blog and read the comments, and also follow Russian news. But haven’t bought a car. The income doesn’t allow it. Perhaps, next season, when I’ll be playing in the NHL.
Nice! A little bit of confidence.

Indy on the Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 01:10 PM
ThreeStars

Ahhh Fata. I have no love for that man.

The income doesn't allow him to buy a car? Um......k.......guess not a Porsche or summat like that....

ThreeStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 01:23 PM
emo

Quote:
Most unpleasant moment

Firstly, all the injuries. Secondly, one hit I was a victim of at the very beginning of the season. For some reason I relaxed out on the ice, lowered my head, and was hit right away. That was in the game against the farm team of the Islanders. Interestingly, that was the guy I dropped to the ice in the game at home. People from the stands even applauded such a great hit. I remember the guy getting up and saying, “There will be something next game.” And I didn’t listen. That was Drew Fata. Now I remember him.
So funny!

emo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 01:23 PM
RTWAP*

Quote:
We’d often spend time there with the team, drinking bear
Man, those Russians are tough. When I see a bear I flee in panic.

RTWAP* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 01:55 PM
ThirtyFive

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTWAP View Post
(Stupid spell-check!)

Old
06-05-2008, 02:18 PM
Ikea Senators

Quote:
[B]

For some reason I relaxed out on the ice, lowered my head, and was hit right away. That was in the game against the farm team of the Islanders. Interestingly, that was the guy I dropped to the ice in the game at home. People from the stands even applauded such a great hit. I remember the guy getting up and saying, “There will be something next game.” And I didn’t listen. That was Drew Fata. Now I remember him.
Wow I can feel the malice in those words. Nukes doesn't seem like a pushover. I see him getting in at least one fight next year. I'm seriously rooting for him to find a fulltime spot too. He definately has the skill, and has adjusted well. Foligno and Nikulin on a 3rd line would be pretty good.

Ikea Senators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 03:39 PM
VermetteFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogoalof View Post
Foligno and Nikulin on a 3rd line would be pretty good.
They ripped it up late in the season in bingo, i think it we'll see them together on the big team at times as well.

VermetteFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 04:04 PM
PatrickEaves
Karan S'Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTWAP View Post
You're not suppose to flee. It makes you look like prey.

PatrickEaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 04:09 PM
ThirtyFive

But seriously, drinking beer and eating burgers is probably not something he should be doing, though, is it?

Old
07-10-2008, 10:42 AM
squishy

There's a short interview with Nikulin up on allhockey.ru. Nothing important of note really, just a lot of the badgering about why he'd rather play in the crummy AHL rather than the shiny new KHL that all young Russians who've come over get when the Russian press talks to them. In short, his reply was: because he can't get the training he's getting in the AHL anywhere else, not even in the KHL.

http://allhockey.ru/news/33144/

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 10:57 AM
bert

Quote:
But seriously, drinking beer and eating burgers is probably not something he should be doing, though, is it?
joking right?

bert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 11:24 AM
ohmbrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
There's a short interview with Nikulin up on allhockey.ru. Nothing important of note really, just a lot of the badgering about why he'd rather play in the crummy AHL rather than the shiny new KHL that all young Russians who've come over get when the Russian press talks to them. In short, his reply was: because he can't get the training he's getting in the AHL anywhere else, not even in the KHL.

http://allhockey.ru/news/33144/
That's promising to hear. He seems to really value the experience and Hockey training he's receiving here, so that's a great sign! Hopefully, if he does not make the NHL roster out of training camp, he won't get too discouraged to keep trucking along in Binghamton.

ohmbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 05:06 PM
Erika

Quote:
Let’s summarize the season.
June 5, 2008.

Most unpleasant moment

Most expensive purchase

LOL Drew Fata, what a punk !!

And hopefully Alex, we will see you in the NHL next season !!

I love Nukes even more day after day !! Such a charismatic person, I love it

Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 05:09 PM
Tubby Tuke
Drafting my Overalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogoalof View Post
Wow I can feel the malice in those words. Nukes doesn't seem like a pushover. I see him getting in at least one fight next year. I'm seriously rooting for him to find a fulltime spot too. He definately has the skill, and has adjusted well. Foligno and Nikulin on a 3rd line would be pretty good.
I want to see him too, I like that line a lot, he's got some fire in him.

Tubby Tuke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 01:13 PM
AN

new post
ThirtyFive, за работу

AN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 01:25 PM
DarthKoRn

Is anyone else worried that with the signings and that with keeping Kelly we may not be seeing Nikulin in the NHL next year? I was really expecting him to fill a 3rd line center role, but I just don't know if that is going to happen now.

DarthKoRn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 01:54 PM
Tubby Tuke
Drafting my Overalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthKoRn View Post
Is anyone else worried that with the signings and that with keeping Kelly we may not be seeing Nikulin in the NHL next year? I was really expecting him to fill a 3rd line center role, but I just don't know if that is going to happen now.
I can see him in the bottom 6 playing around half the games this season. If we have an injury in the top 6 Kelly will probably be the man moving up, and Nikulin could play for that too I guess.

Old
07-11-2008, 03:17 PM
petelevi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthKoRn View Post
I've been thinking that, with Chris Kelly re-signed, they might play him like Detroit did Valtteri Filppula in his first NHL season (4th line minutes, but getting some powerplay time as well as shifts with top-scorers). A lot may depend on his performance in camp & in the pre-season as well.

petelevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 03:26 PM
ThirtyFive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AN View Post
new post
ThirtyFive, за работу
Спасибо. I keep checking his blog every few days and this was posted yesterday. Stay tuned, everyobe, it's coming soon. Also, the AllHockey interview, too, as a little summer bonus feature

Old
07-11-2008, 04:05 PM
ThirtyFive

Never started this early.
July 10, 2008.

I should’ve gone to Canada on June 23, and Bryan Murray, our general manager, had told me after the season ended that I should train during the offseason. But I didn’t make it in time.

At the airport I wasn’t allowed on the plane. Some visa problems came up. I was very nervous. But I called my agents in Canada and the next day I had a visa within three hours. Still, I was two days late. But I’ll remember the following five days for a long time.

We had an army-like schedule. Wake up at 7, breakfast, and right away to the gym. After that a meeting, lunch, and then everyone was transported to an arena for a two-hour training session. You know, I maintained my form during the offseason, I had even skated. But turned out that wasn’t enough. Not enough at all.

Anyway, I would get to the hotel at 5 PM, and had difficulty getting to the bed. At first my legs even hurt, like someone’s who started doing exercise after a long break. Later I got into it, of course. But it was still tough. First half of the day we’d spend on physical tests, and the second on active training. Confidentially, there were even confrontations on the ice. Due to some trivial issue, and everything quickly dissipated, since it was obvious everyone was tired.

As far as Russian players, besides me there were Ilja Zubov and Ruslan Bashkirov. A few more guys from the farm, but for the most part they gathered all the prospects. Either those just drafted, or those that are in the system and just starting to crack the lineup. On the whole, I didn’t have much to do here, but since I was told I had to come, I couldn’t decline. Although I’ve never started this early. And don’t really see much point to it. But the Canadians, it seems, never rest. I’ve heard they train five times a week during the summer. And this was obvious, by the way. Everyone’s ready, everyone’s running.

Had to run a lot, too. And not just run, but with a parachute on the back or a trainer holding you back with an elastic belt. Like I said, everything is serious. As if the season starts in less than a month.

I want to single out meetings in the middle of the day. That was also something new to me. For instance, we were told how to give an interview. I didn’t hear anything brand new. Never had problems with that, and the blog is a testament to that. Whatever they ask you, you should say what you think.

Then they gave out surveys, asking stuff like “Do you like Ottawa?” It was obvious these were made for the young guys. I have no use for them. Another time they showed a highlight reel of Senators goals. I guess that’s what they do in Canada.

Now I’ll come back to Ottawa in August. And I will arrive a hundred percent ready, because I’ll be starting training in St. Petersburg with Evgeni Malkin, Sergei Gonchar, and Alexander Radulov. Maybe someone else will join.

You have to train a lot before an NHL season.

Last edited by ThirtyFive: 07-14-2008 at 02:59 PM.
Old
07-11-2008, 04:12 PM
Tubby Tuke
Drafting my Overalls

I really like the honesty. Hopefully he earns a permanent roster spot!