HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers squash Tortarella rumor

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-05-2008, 09:51 AM
  #26
Nich
Registered User
 
Nich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Wantagh
Country: Croatia
Posts: 6,895
vCash: 500
torts for assistant coach, with shanny, and pelino.

i mean anybody else notice how most teams have more coaches than us?

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 09:54 AM
  #27
Shadowtron
Registered User
 
Shadowtron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Earth
Posts: 5,522
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469 View Post
rational people that use logic, don't fire a guy like that
Sure they do. The higher the expectations go, the better Renney has to perform. Getting KO’d in the 2nd round was cute…last year. We hit the playoffs on a hot streak, got a 10 year old monkey off of the teams’ back, and came to within 7 seconds of scaring the hell out of the Sabres. This year, IMO, it was a step back. Dolan/Sather aren’t going to settle for 2nd round KO’s simply because they appreciate the fact that Renney was able to coach the team to their first PO berth in a decade. That’s how fans operate. Businessmen are a different breed of animal. If the Rangers hired Torts I would be a bit shocked because I think Renney still has plenty of sand left in his hourglass, but I wouldn’t see it as unprecedented or classless.

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 10:03 AM
  #28
ogie
Registered User
 
ogie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Staten Island
Country: United States
Posts: 1,271
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron View Post
Sure they do. The higher the expectations go, the better Renney has to perform. Getting KO’d in the 2nd round was cute…last year. We hit the playoffs on a hot streak, got a 10 year old monkey off of the teams’ back, and came to within 7 seconds of scaring the hell out of the Sabres. This year, IMO, it was a step back. Dolan/Sather aren’t going to settle for 2nd round KO’s simply because they appreciate the fact that Renney was able to coach the team to their first PO berth in a decade. That’s how fans operate. Businessmen are a different breed of animal. If the Rangers hired Torts I would be a bit shocked because I think Renney still has plenty of sand left in his hourglass, but I wouldn’t see it as unprecedented or classless.
A step back? come on, the pens were on fire. We had no chance of beating them.

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 10:11 AM
  #29
Forechecker
Registered User
 
Forechecker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 4,322
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
torts for assistant coach, with shanny, and pelino.

i mean anybody else notice how most teams have more coaches than us?
Our third assistant coach, Benoit Allaire, either sits in the press box or is in Hartford working with our other goalies.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 10:32 AM
  #30
Shadowtron
Registered User
 
Shadowtron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Earth
Posts: 5,522
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogie View Post
A step back? come on, the pens were on fire. We had no chance of beating them.
Fine. But what's the shelf-life on that excuse?

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 10:38 AM
  #31
Nich
Registered User
 
Nich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Wantagh
Country: Croatia
Posts: 6,895
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
Our third assistant coach, Benoit Allaire, either sits in the press box or is in Hartford working with our other goalies.
so how many coaches can we have. torts working the pp sounds great to me....

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 11:13 AM
  #32
94now
Registered User
 
94now's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Snow Belt, USA
Country: United Nations
Posts: 6,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron View Post
Fine. But what's the shelf-life on that excuse?
Pretty much infinite. Should Pittsburgh lost in CF, like Buffalo, then it would be different. Now it is clear that it would have taken a SC Champion to dispose them. Also, we could get pass 2nd round should we get any other team. We could knock off MTL or PHI decisively, IMO.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 11:16 AM
  #33
Shadowtron
Registered User
 
Shadowtron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Earth
Posts: 5,522
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Pretty much infinite.
For a coach?

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 11:18 AM
  #34
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,818
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron View Post
Fine. But what's the shelf-life on that excuse?
I think there are extenuating circumstances. The Rangers were playing with 5 rookies in the line-up — and not just playing but playing important minutes and roles (1st line center, second line wing, #1 defenseman).

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 11:23 AM
  #35
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,308
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I think there are extenuating circumstances. The Rangers were playing with 5 rookies in the line-up — and not just playing but playing important minutes and roles (1st line center, second line wing, #1 defenseman).
not only that, but drury was injured and avery was injured and i dont think gomez was totally healthy after that fall he took in philly when he went into the boards causing even more responsiblity to be put on the young players....i thought they played well...

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 11:25 AM
  #36
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World
 
CM Lundqvist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 8,571
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogie View Post
considering that Renney and Torts have to completely different coaching styles i do not think this would be as cut and dry as the article states. Alot of players on the team and in the league love the way Renney coaches and his laid-back attitude of letting the veterans do all the tlaking. To replace him with Torts who is the scream his f***ing head off type of coach does not seem like a good decision to me.
The last time I checked, Tortarella was the one that gave Vincent Lecavalier his awakening. He taught him defense, and pushed him to be a much more physical player than he was earlier in his career.

Who knows if Vinny would have ever became the sum of his parts if not for Torts.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 11:28 AM
  #37
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,818
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldshot View Post
The last time I checked, Tortarella was the one that gave Vincent Lecavalier his awakening. He taught him defense, and pushed him to be a much more physical player than he was earlier in his career.

Who knows if Vinny would have ever became the sum of his parts if not for Torts.
That's fine but who is the equivalent to Vinny C on this current Ranger team?

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 11:30 AM
  #38
Shadowtron
Registered User
 
Shadowtron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Earth
Posts: 5,522
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I think there are extenuating circumstances. The Rangers were playing with 5 rookies in the line-up — and not just playing but playing important minutes and roles (1st line center, second line wing, #1 defenseman).
I agree. I'm arguing against the notion that Renney's job is secure simply because his team is making the playoffs.

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 11:31 AM
  #39
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,818
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron View Post
I agree. I'm arguing against the notion that Renney's job is secure simply because his team is making the playoffs.
And for now it is.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 11:36 AM
  #40
Melrose_Jr.
Registered User
 
Melrose_Jr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Providence, RI
Country: United States
Posts: 10,692
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogie View Post
Alot of players on the team and in the league love the way Renney coaches and his laid-back attitude of letting the veterans do all the tlaking. To replace him with Torts who is the scream his f***ing head off type of coach does not seem like a good decision to me.
Chances are though, most of the influential players won't be back, so it's really not the same team.

I'm a fan of Renney and his developmental and interpersonal skills, but they guy is a horrible strategist that allows the inmates run the asylum far too frequently. I wouldn't say he's irreplaceable if someone with a better resume and dramatically different tactics comes knocking.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 11:36 AM
  #41
94now
Registered User
 
94now's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Snow Belt, USA
Country: United Nations
Posts: 6,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron View Post
For a coach?
For the Rangers. Excuses possible only for the team, if ever.
Anyway, my point is there WAS a progress since last season. The team not only regain the respect that was being lost for almost a decade, but now has a unique signature, a style that makes it a brand. That can only be attributed to coaching. Whether Renney authored it alone is hard to tell. But he is a successful coach as of today. Successful coaches do not take pay cut to become an Assistant GM. If they feel like its time they would agree to GM position.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 12:37 PM
  #42
Shadowtron
Registered User
 
Shadowtron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Earth
Posts: 5,522
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
And for now it is.
For now. But a couple more inconsistent seasons and early PO exits and it's bye-bye birdie, IMO. It's not irriational or illogical for a team to fire their coach because they hit a wall, despite makinh the playoffs. As I said in an earlier post, I would be shocked if Torts was hired ONLY because I feel Renney still has the team's attention.

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 12:40 PM
  #43
Shadowtron
Registered User
 
Shadowtron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Earth
Posts: 5,522
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
For the Rangers. Excuses possible only for the team, if ever.
Anyway, my point is there WAS a progress since last season. The team not only regain the respect that was being lost for almost a decade, but now has a unique signature, a style that makes it a brand. That can only be attributed to coaching. Whether Renney authored it alone is hard to tell. But he is a successful coach as of today. Successful coaches do not take pay cut to become an Assistant GM. If they feel like its time they would agree to GM position.
Let me just make sure one thing is understood: I am not advocating that the team fire Renney. MY point was that making the playoffs doesn't automatically grant a coach immunity.

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 12:48 PM
  #44
KotsyJr
49ERS/NYR/RAPS/JAYS
 
KotsyJr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,713
vCash: 873
So the Rangers said "Shut your yap" to these rumors?

KotsyJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 12:48 PM
  #45
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,308
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron View Post
Let me just make sure one thing is understood: I am not advocating that the team fire Renney. MY point was that making the playoffs doesn't automatically grant a coach immunity.
agreed....now i hate basketball, but look atthe pistons firing saunders....they made the eastern conference championships 4 years in a row i think, and he was just fired

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 01:08 PM
  #46
DutchShamrock
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 4,964
vCash: 500
At least now no one can use the argument that there's no one to replace Renney when people want him fired after a slow start next year. With Tortorella, Maurice and Wilson all available at the same time, I think we can see that quality coaches are available at the end of the year. You might have to wait until the off-season, but if you're changing coaches it is worth the wait when you are addressing the future of an organization.

Not that I'm advocating Renney being fired. I just hate that rationale when the debate comes up.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 01:15 PM
  #47
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,818
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugerya View Post
At least now no one can use the argument that there's no one to replace Renney when people want him fired after a slow start next year. With Tortorella, Maurice and Wilson all available at the same time, I think we can see that quality coaches are available at the end of the year. You might have to wait until the off-season, but if you're changing coaches it is worth the wait when you are addressing the future of an organization.

Not that I'm advocating Renney being fired. I just hate that rationale when the debate comes up.
There are always coaches available. It just comes down to finding someone that you are reasonably will do a better job than Renney. Tortorella you might be able to make that argument. Wilson will not be the guy because he has a history with Jagr (I believe that's the case). And Paul Maurice certainly is not an exciting option.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 01:51 PM
  #48
BDubinskyNYR17*
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: New York
Posts: 10,761
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
That's fine but who is the equivalent to Vinny C on this current Ranger team?
not in terms of skill but the closest would be brandon dubinsky i would think.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 01:52 PM
  #49
94now
Registered User
 
94now's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Snow Belt, USA
Country: United Nations
Posts: 6,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron View Post
Let me just make sure one thing is understood: I am not advocating that the team fire Renney. MY point was that making the playoffs doesn't automatically grant a coach immunity.
Yeah, your point is Renney immunity comes with timer. No disagreement there.

You and other posters, however, left the impression that if Renney repeats this season result next season, he should be considered a loser. I disagree with that. I think Sharks did wrong thing firing Wilson for practically waht we are talking here. Not making a PO or even consecutive first round losses is something I can understand (see Tortorella, for instance), but if your team proved to be in top 8 in the league, that means your as coach doing pretty good job.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 01:58 PM
  #50
94now
Registered User
 
94now's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Snow Belt, USA
Country: United Nations
Posts: 6,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCallahan43 View Post
not in terms of skill but the closest would be brandon dubinsky i would think.
No comparison, although I like Dubi and it is well documented. LeCavalier is true #1 pick overall and future HOF. Tortorella might be an impedance when it comes to getting LeCavalier sign later.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:01 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.