HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Bye Bye CBC HNIC Theme...Hello TSN Hockey Theme (CTV Wins Rights to "Hockey Song")

Old
06-05-2008, 02:21 PM
Joey

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Joey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Its just a song, not a cure for cancer.
Wow, great insight

It's just the Habs, not a cure for cancer, so I guess you wouldn't mind if the Habs disappeared next season

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 02:22 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
Cut costs?

It costs them $500/week.

I could afford that. So can they! They pay McLean 700,000/year or more!
500$/week for the song? The owner of the song is a greedy ******* if you ask me. That's 650,000 over the last 25years.

Team_Spirit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 02:25 PM
GoneAway

vCash:
Complete and utter ********.

The CBC exec's should all be lined up and publicly tarred and feathered

Im all for TSN grabbing its right.

CBC...absolute waste of public ressources and broadcast air

Old
06-05-2008, 02:36 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
I am very glad, I hate this song.

Rise from the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 02:40 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Spirit View Post
500$/week for the song? The owner of the song is a greedy ******* if you ask me. That's 650,000 over the last 25years.
More like $487,500 since hockey is only on TV 9 months a year.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 04:14 PM
Artyukhin*

http://blog.macleans.ca/2008/06/05/c...dumb-dumbdumb/

Here’s the only good thing about this decision:

Anyone stupid enough to make it must possess such a terrible sense of judgment that he or she is guaranteed to commission for us, as a replacement, the single worst and most inadvertently entertaining sports theme song in the history of the world.

Personally, I don’t see how it can’t involve Bryan Adams. It’ll involve Bryan Adams and he’ll sing something like…

Hockey night!
Hockey night is time for hockey!
Hockey in Canada!
At niiiiiiiiiiiight!

Pucks and sticks
Sticks and pucks (and also pads!!)
Hockey is great!!
Whoa-oh-oh yeah!

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 04:19 PM
Artyukhin*

You can complain and have no one hear you OR

Send CBC Executive Director Scott Moore an email that lets him know what you think of CBC’s decision.

scott.moore@cbc.ca

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 05:08 PM
24Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post

http://blog.macleans.ca/2008/06/05/c...dumb-dumbdumb/

Here’s the only good thing about this decision:

Anyone stupid enough to make it must possess such a terrible sense of judgment that he or she is guaranteed to commission for us, as a replacement, the single worst and most inadvertently entertaining sports theme song in the history of the world.

Personally, I don’t see how it can’t involve Bryan Adams. It’ll involve Bryan Adams and he’ll sing something like…

Hockey night!
Hockey night is time for hockey!
Hockey in Canada!
At niiiiiiiiiiiight!

Pucks and sticks
Sticks and pucks (and also pads!!)
Hockey is great!!
Whoa-oh-oh yeah!
I think there is already a good sign-on I'm sure you'd also agree with:

Koolookookoo-kookookookoo
Koolookookoo-kookookookoo
we're on eh.

24Cups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 05:26 PM
L'abstrait

Send a message via MSN to L'abstrait
I just sent my complain, and it goes a little like that:

I thought it was a joke when I first heard that, but it seems like some thing's gone wrong with HNIC. I don't know if you guys are thinking but you got to stop it. If ever this really goes through, shame on you CBC. I promise never to watch hockey on your broadcast ever again. BTW, if you really wanna make some changes, you can start by changing those little ''50 cents'' like cheap hip-hop interludes while your at it.

Thanks for reading this.

L'abstrait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 06:20 PM
Habs

I sent them an email, I'll update if Scott sends me a reply :

Quote:
Good day Mr. Moore,

HNIC's decision to cut the traditional theme song doesn't bother me as much as the quality of the production and the decline of the product. With Bob Cole on his last breath, Ron MacLean putting us soothing us to sleep with his pre-game monotones and tea time {I believe its called After 40 Minutes}. 4 men sitting around a table, sipping warm drinks and discussing the game in a dimly lit room... hmm..

Throw in sweetcakes {Cassie Campbell} who apparently only holds this job because she's married to a CBC executive, a predictable Donald S Cherry .. a dreadfully dull Kelly Hrudey, an always incorrect Greg Millen and HNIC is clearly a shadow of its former self.

Speaking of Cassie Campbell, any chance of dolling her up a bit for the broadcast? A low cut blouse, some Daisy Duke shorts? I have a bet with a friend of mine she's built like Brett Hull, he thinks she has the body of a young Jodie Foster. Which is it? Why do you make her dress up like a transvestite, heading out for his/her first date, instead of a confident young lady?

A famous user on the Montreal Canadians message board over at hfboards.com once said "If brains were gasoline, you wouldn't have enough to run an ant's go-kart around the inside of a donut." {Thanks Mcphee, I knew this quote would come in handy}. I never really knew how I could apply his quote after all these years, or his other pieces of wisdom pertaining to sheep and glory holes, until now.

The only thing HNIC has going for it is history and familiarity. I really could care less about the theme song, but its the only remaining item from days gone by, that people identify with. Peter Puck is long gone so are Dick Irvin and Howie Meeker. What tradition does HNIC have left?

Truth is Scott, I hate HNIC. I rarely watch the broadcast, its a pathetic display of Canadian tax dollars and what we really could piece together if you gave anyone with an ounce of creativity a chance to show their skills off. HNIC looks like it was pieced together by a group of children, with no concern for production value or content.

My dog could eat a box of crayons and **** out a better production than you so proudly put forward on the air. If you don't keep the theme song, I'll have to hear all the ****ers on HFBoards.com ***** about this move, all year long.

Sincere regards,
Sleepless in Seattle

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 06:36 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montréal Russians View Post
I am very glad, I hate this song.
So...you have no fond memories of young years with that song ? To me it brings some great memories. The tradition cant be killed like that During the lockout I found that song and when I heard it it gave me goosebumps.

It's not just a song...it's memories.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 06:56 PM
gee

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/stor...ght-theme.html

Quote:
Deal still possible for Hockey Night song

Contrary to published reports, CBC Sports hasn't yet pulled the plug on the Hockey Night in Canada theme song.

Scott Moore, the executive director of CBC Sports, told Newsworld on Thursday that negotiations for a new licence fee are ongoing with the representatives of Vancouver composer Dolores Claman.

"We've been reaching out to [Claman] and her representative, and haven't heard back," Moore said. "We're prepared to do a deal, we're prepared to talk, but we're not prepared to do a deal at all costs."

If an agreement can't be reached, Moore said a nationwide contest would be held for Canadians to submit a new theme song.

"We have to responsibly have another plan if, for some reason, we're not able to do a deal. We've had this plan in place for more than a year," said Moore, adding the controversy and debate created by a contest wouldn't necessarily be bad.

Earlier Thursday, Copyright Music & Visuals — the Toronto agency representing Claman — said the CBC had declined to enter into a new licensing agreement for next season.

A news release posted on the company's website quotes its president John Ciccone as saying the CBC's licence agreement for the HNIC theme song ended with the Detroit Red Wings' 3-2 victory over the hometown Pittsburgh Penguins on Thursday night in Game 6 of the Stanley Cup final.

The CBC "has advised the composer, owner and administrator of the musical composition that it is not prepared to enter into a new licence agreement with respect to the use of the theme," the release said.

However, Moore said he intended to respond to Ciccone's offer Thursday afternoon upon his return from Pittsburgh.

"I've called several times to see if we can get [further negotiations] going and have not heard any response," Moore said shortly after 4 p.m. ET, adding his BlackBerry shut down when he landed in Toronto.

"The most important thing that I've taken from the past couple of hours is that Canadians are incredibly passionate about [the song]. I think it's a great thing that people are passionate about Hockey Night in Canada, about NHL hockey. They're passionate about the theme song.

"It's a great theme song. We've had it 39 years … we hope we can continue our relationship with it."

Composer expresses disappointment

Copyright Music & Visuals said it had offered the CBC a chance to renew its licence to use Claman's song on terms that were "virtually identical to those that have existed for the past decade."

After two years, Ciccone said the rates would rise by about 15 per cent, an increase he called an industry standard.

Previously, each use of the song cost the broadcaster about $500, the company said.

It was Moore's understanding the CBC had until 5 p.m. ET on Friday to respond to Copyright Music & Visuals' latest proposal, but "clearly they ratcheted that [deadline] up."

Claman had earlier expressed disappointment that her song may no longer be heard in homes across Canada during the hockey season.

"I am saddened by the decision of the CBC to drop the Hockey Night in Canada theme after our lengthy history together," she said in a release. "I nevertheless respect its right to move in a new direction."

Alberta Premier Ed Stelmach is also upset about the possibility of losing the song, telling reporters at the legislature on Thursday he was stunned by the initial reports.

Moore said the potential loss of the song would not damage the HNIC brand.

"The brand is Hockey Night in Canada on Saturday nights," he said. "We've got a lot of great things on that show and we're very proud of it.

"We've got a great theme song. We've got great commentators. We've got Don Cherry. We've got tremendous production teams, but no part of that brand is bigger than the whole brand.

"We'd like to keep as much of it intact but if we can't do a responsible and reasonable deal that's good for both sides, change happens."

Claman, who has written about 2,000 jingles over her career, is also credited with writing the Ontario theme "A Place to Stand," which she co-wrote with her husband Richard Morris in 1967.

looks like she spread stories to manipulate the public

she is playing hardball and taking the cbc to task

gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 07:08 PM
SeNaToR PhIL

Quote:
Originally Posted by thief50 View Post
They should get rid of Cherry instead of that.
NOOESSS

SeNaToR PhIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 07:14 PM
Bermy

maybe they're bluffing for publicity

Bermy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 07:35 PM
GoneAway

vCash:
Looks like it...but damn, why would they even considering letting this drag is beyond me

Old
06-05-2008, 08:21 PM
gee

it doesn't bother me if the reason they are doing it is to revamp the program and go in a new direction, but that would mean cherry, mclean, stracken, and cole should ****en go too

gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 08:30 PM
snap-bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by gee View Post
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/stor...ght-theme.html

looks like she spread stories to manipulate the public

she is playing hardball and taking the cbc to task
looks like i was right

snap-bar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 08:34 PM
anarmandaleb

Quote:
Originally Posted by snap-bar View Post
looks like i was right
Yes, yes you were. Although I don't appreciate this kind of manipulation on the composer's part, I'd really like the theme back.

anarmandaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 09:25 PM
Habmaster

I've heard the new song....

Ghostface Killah Ft. Snoop Dogg and Alicia Keyes

"Chix dig da Stix" (lets puck remix)

Edit: The kids are gonna love this!

Habmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 09:46 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarmandaleb View Post
Yes, yes you were. Although I don't appreciate this kind of manipulation on the composer's part, I'd really like the theme back.
I find it strange that everyone just takes each story in chronological order at face value.

Composer says CBC doesn't want song: Death to CBC (me too, I admit).

CBC says composer jumped gun, they want to renew: Death to composer for being manipulative.

It's just as possible that CBC said "no song", saw the uproar when the story broke and then said "we always wanted the song, we just had not got in touch with them yet".

Just sayin'

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 09:54 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1380
I sent them an email also but since i dont have your collective eloquence, i kept it short.
Quote:
Dear sirs;

You are all poopoo heads.

Thanks

Your truly, Don Cherry.

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 10:16 PM
davenash

True story: every saturday night, I tuned in to CBC to hear the theme song and then switched to RDS for the Habs game.

I grew up listening to this song.

This is an institution. It really pisses me off but what can you do. An end of an era.

davenash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 10:22 PM
bentheprop

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
The fiancee just asked me yesterday to pick a song as we don't want a traditional wedding and she wants my input.

I'll see what she says
My wife and I entered to the HNIC theme at our reception. It just seemed appropriate since she is a Leafs fan and I bleed bleu, blanc et rouge. Our family and friends loved it.

bentheprop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 01:24 AM
Hab-a-maniac

Oh well if it goes. Second anthem eh? Whatever happened to "God Save the Queen/King"? I wonder if the Monday Night Football anthem (not the Hank Williams crappy openings) is America's second anthem. We need a "Canada the Beautiful" that mentions hockey, but of course if CBC gets their hands on it Cherry's name will be involved seeing as how he's such a historical star (all those cups and accolades right?).

Hab-a-maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 04:41 AM
snap-bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarmandaleb View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
I find it strange that everyone just takes each story in chronological order at face value.

Composer says CBC doesn't want song: Death to CBC (me too, I admit).

CBC says composer jumped gun, they want to renew: Death to composer for being manipulative.

It's just as possible that CBC said "no song", saw the uproar when the story broke and then said "we always wanted the song, we just had not got in touch with them yet".

Just sayin'
Thank you, thank you. Im just saying from the start it seemed like the composer was just looking for pity from the public.... who knows who is telling the truth

snap-bar is offline   Reply With Quote