HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers squash Tortarella rumor

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-05-2008, 02:13 PM
  #51
Melrose_Jr.
Registered User
 
Melrose_Jr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Providence, RI
Country: United States
Posts: 10,692
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
You and other posters, however, left the impression that if Renney repeats this season result next season, he should be considered a loser. I disagree with that. I think Sharks did wrong thing firing Wilson for practically waht we are talking here. Not making a PO or even consecutive first round losses is something I can understand (see Tortorella, for instance), but if your team proved to be in top 8 in the league, that means your as coach doing pretty good job.
There's other factors to look at beyond the results. Like Shadow said, if the coach has "hit a wall" in terms of the progress he's making, it's fair to weigh your options.

The goals and expectations of the Rangers have changed a lot since Renney came aboard. It's natural that the expectations for the coach will change too even if he's done a good job for you in a developmental into transitional phase in building the team.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 02:56 PM
  #52
Forechecker
Registered User
 
Forechecker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 4,322
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
I think it's fair to say that if Renney can continue to introduce new players to the team and at least equal the previous year's performance, than he is in fact improving the team.

If the core of the team remains intact (Jagr, Avery, Rosie all return), and we add less visible key parts and we don't make it the ECF at least, then we start looking at Renney's ability to take it to the next level.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 05:09 PM
  #53
Brooklyn Ranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn, of course
Posts: 7,704
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
This I did not know -



I was always under the impression that John Paddock, head coach at Binghamton at the time, was Smith's choice to take over. Stupid-assed Dolan.

Sather obviously made a mistake not keeping Torts around when he first took over. Given the relationship between Tortorella and Renney, and the fact that Renney had not yet been hired by Sather, I wonder Renney had been around, perhaps he would have convinced Sather to give Tortorella a shot.

...
Smith evidently wanted to fire Muckler in Nov/Dec of that season. I had a friend back then who knew someone in the front office and he said he thought Dolan wanted Muckler to get the team into the playoffs and then Dolan was going to fire Smith and give Muckler the GM job, but that's just rumor.

I also think it didn't matter that Renney and Tortorella were friends, everyone expected Sather to have Low as his coach when he was named GM.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 05:09 PM
  #54
Dredden
JT Miller
 
Dredden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 1,429
vCash: 500
I think hes probably going to the Sharks.

Dredden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 05:13 PM
  #55
Brooklyn Ranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn, of course
Posts: 7,704
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
I think it's fair to say that if Renney can continue to introduce new players to the team and at least equal the previous year's performance, than he is in fact improving the team.

If the core of the team remains intact (Jagr, Avery, Rosie all return), and we add less visible key parts and we don't make it the ECF at least, then we start looking at Renney's ability to take it to the next level.
Very true, the expectations for the team will be very different depending on how the Jagr situation plays out. However, I think Renney is in complete control--if he doesn't want to coach next year, then this idea of bringing Tortorella makes sense, but it's entirely up to Renney.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 06:59 PM
  #56
DutchShamrock
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 4,964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
That's fine but who is the equivalent to Vinny C on this current Ranger team?
He's not on the current team but Cheripanov comes to mind. I don't find it too wise to hire a coach now for a player at least 1 year away with at least some chance of never leaving Russia but I'd love to have a real S.O.B. like Tortorella cracking the whip on someone with Cheripanov's potential.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 10:50 PM
  #57
Son of Steinbrenner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Tromelin
Posts: 9,481
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugerya View Post
He's not on the current team but Cheripanov comes to mind. I don't find it too wise to hire a coach now for a player at least 1 year away with at least some chance of never leaving Russia but I'd love to have a real S.O.B. like Tortorella cracking the whip on someone with Cheripanov's potential.
I'm not totally opposed to the move as i said earlier but this is the wrong reason to hire Tortarella in my opinion...

I was thinking about it today and I'm 100% convinced this wouldn't happen simply because Jagr loves playing for Renney and if Jagr is returning (which is likely) I doubt he is going to want to play for Tortarella..(although Tortarella would play the crap out of Jagr)


Last edited by Son of Steinbrenner: 06-05-2008 at 11:19 PM.
Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 09:28 AM
  #58
Melrose_Jr.
Registered User
 
Melrose_Jr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Providence, RI
Country: United States
Posts: 10,692
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugerya View Post
He's not on the current team but Cheripanov comes to mind. I don't find it too wise to hire a coach now for a player at least 1 year away with at least some chance of never leaving Russia but I'd love to have a real S.O.B. like Tortorella cracking the whip on someone with Cheripanov's potential.
I'm sure there's a few players on the team currently that could use a crack of the whip or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
I'm not totally opposed to the move as i said earlier but this is the wrong reason to hire Tortarella in my opinion...

I was thinking about it today and I'm 100% convinced this wouldn't happen simply because Jagr loves playing for Renney and if Jagr is returning (which is likely) I doubt he is going to want to play for Tortarella..(although Tortarella would play the crap out of Jagr)
I think anyone would be hard pressed to utilize Jagr more than Renney. But you're right, if the team is committed to sticking with Jagr for another year, they need Renney there too. Unfortunately, I just don't see how the combo is going to be any more effective than it's been in previous years if the relationship remains the same.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:07 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.