HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Preds Free Agent Wishlist

Old
06-05-2008, 03:02 PM
Joe T Choker
Wookin' Pa Nub in...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
What do Pat Robertson and the French Open men's semi-finals have to do with Satan?
just for the name factor alone ... and also to be serious ... if we're unloading DeVries & Zanon ... the player that I want is Brooks Orpik, he was awesome in the playoffs and especially the Finals
Led the playoffs in blocked shots and hits

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 03:10 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
You say dump De Vries and Zidlicky, but then you say go out and sign a defenseman who's missed half of the last two seasons (Eaton), one who wasn't signed until mid-season and almost went to Europe this summer (Cullimore), and a 36 year-old Aaron Miller?
Yep. All three are better than Zidlicky and Devries in their own zone. Cullimore and Miller were solid this year. Eaton, because he's missed time, will go for a low price.

Salavador would be a nice, but he's a glorified 5-6th dman. And beacuse of the dman shortage, he'll probably get 3-3.5m multi-year deal. Not attractive.

I'd rather sign a vet dman on a 1 year contract, and let Kosisten and Klien get some more playing time.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 04:17 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a Killer View Post
*Tosses holy water at you*

The power of Christ compels you. The power of Christ compels you. The power of Christ compels you.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 04:25 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
Yep. All three are better than Zidlicky and Devries in their own zone. Cullimore and Miller were solid this year. Eaton, because he's missed time, will go for a low price.
And Zidlicky is lightyears ahead of all three in the offensive zone. Our anemic power play needs him back there (preferably with Koistinen manning the other point) and there's no way you find a defenseman with his ability at that price on the open market.

De Vries is old and slow... so is Aaron Miller. Miller also played just 57 games and got 20 minutes or more just 11 times. That means he was normally a 5-6th defenseman, but more likely a 7th who got more minutes because of injuries. And knowing Trotz he would probably get paired with Hamhuis resulting in next to no change in the lineup.
Cullimore might actually be a good signing... for Milwaukee. Cullimore was lucky to get 20 minutes a night up until the last 10 games of the season and was part of one of the worst overall D corps in the NHL. A big part of the reason he got as much ice time as he did was the loss of Cory Murphy and Mark van Ryn. He's just another 5-6th defenseman.
Eaton is too much of a risk. He's a great shut-down guy when he's on the ice but he's played 71 games in 2 years. I would be willing to wager he maintains that average again this year, and I don't want to plonk down $2M on someone that has a high chance of spending half the season or more in street clothes.

So you think Salvador is a glorified 5/6th, and you think we should go out and get Miller or Cullimore, who are both 5/6th defensemen? Hello, pot? This is the kettle, do you read?

I agree with Dave, Orpik would be a great pickup, but we'll have to outbid just about every other team in the NHL, especially the Rangers who've already expressed a great deal of interest in signing Orpik in 26 days...

Last edited by worstfaceoffmanever: 06-05-2008 at 04:30 PM.
worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 04:28 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
*Tosses holy water at you*

The power of Christ compels you. The power of Christ compels you. The power of Christ compels you.
*throws fried chicken at BFC*

The 11 herbs and spices compel you. The 11 herbs and spices compel you. The 11 herbs and spices compel you.

Old
06-05-2008, 06:02 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
*throws fried chicken at BFC*

The 11 herbs and spices compel you. The 11 herbs and spices compel you. The 11 herbs and spices compel you.

Damnit! I'm not fat! I'm big boned!

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 07:44 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
And Zidlicky is lightyears ahead of all three in the offensive zone. Our anemic power play needs him back there (preferably with Koistinen manning the other point) and there's no way you find a defenseman with his ability at that price on the open market.

De Vries is old and slow... so is Aaron Miller. Miller also played just 57 games and got 20 minutes or more just 11 times. That means he was normally a 5-6th defenseman, but more likely a 7th who got more minutes because of injuries. And knowing Trotz he would probably get paired with Hamhuis resulting in next to no change in the lineup.
Cullimore might actually be a good signing... for Milwaukee. Cullimore was lucky to get 20 minutes a night up until the last 10 games of the season and was part of one of the worst overall D corps in the NHL. A big part of the reason he got as much ice time as he did was the loss of Cory Murphy and Mark van Ryn. He's just another 5-6th defenseman.
Eaton is too much of a risk. He's a great shut-down guy when he's on the ice but he's played 71 games in 2 years. I would be willing to wager he maintains that average again this year, and I don't want to plonk down $2M on someone that has a high chance of spending half the season or more in street clothes.

So you think Salvador is a glorified 5/6th, and you think we should go out and get Miller or Cullimore, who are both 5/6th defensemen? Hello, pot? This is the kettle, do you read?
Nice tone with your posts.

I wouldn't use Eaton/Cullimore/Miller as anymore than 5-6 dman. Big minutes will go to Hamhuis/Suter/Weber.

Yes, rather than paying a 5/6 dman Salvador $3.5 million for four years, I would rather pay a 5/6 dman [Eaton, Miller, Cullimore] 1-1.5m for one year. Maybe Salvador would be a better player, but will it be worth the extra 14 million it's going to take to get him? Not in my books.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 02:14 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
Yes, rather than paying a 5/6 dman Salvador $3.5 million for four years, I would rather pay a 5/6 dman [Eaton, Miller, Cullimore] 1-1.5m for one year. Maybe Salvador would be a better player, but will it be worth the extra 14 million it's going to take to get him? Not in my books.
Who would pay Bryce Salvador $3.5M when he can't do jack squat on the power play?

Besides, this was the first year Salvador really emerged as a guy who can get big ice time. He won't get a big contract unless someone pulls a Bobby Clarke (and there is no longer a GM stupid enough to do that with Waddel and JFJ out of work). Most defenseman don't really hit their peak until their early 30's, so he's in the right time-frame. Signing a one or two year deal and performing well could lead to a big payday. Ask Tom Poti.

Old
06-06-2008, 02:20 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Damnit! I'm not fat! I'm big boned!
Oh, sorry, I thought you were going for the whole "freewill baptist expulsion of demons" thing. My bad.

Old
06-23-2008, 11:20 PM
CaptLou

Personally I would love to see a little scoring and a little toughness added. Georges Laraque makes about as much per year as we end up saving with the Mason trade (Mason was set to make $3mil and Ellis will only make $1.5mil this season). Maybe a little more than we want to pay for an enforcer and prehaps just a pipe dream more than anything on my part. On the scoring side of that I would love to see us pick up former pred Andrew Brunette. He will be 35 when the season starts but he had 59 points last season (which would have been good for 3rd on the team) and he only made $1.6 mil and I think we would be able to get him for $2 mil or less

CaptLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 11:22 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptLou View Post
Personally I would love to see a little scoring and a little toughness added. Georges Laraque makes about as much per year as we end up saving with the Mason trade (Mason was set to make $3mil and Ellis will only make $1.5mil this season). Maybe a little more than we want to pay for an enforcer and prehaps just a pipe dream more than anything on my part. On the scoring side of that I would love to see us pick up former pred Andrew Brunette. He will be 35 when the season starts but he had 59 points last season (which would have been good for 3rd on the team) and he only made $1.6 mil and I think we would be able to get him for $2 mil or less
I think this would be a perfect situation. He can play top 6 or as a third line banger. Additionally, he is absolute money around the net and on the powerplay. I would go hard after him regardless of our situation.