HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Brad Stuart

Old
06-05-2008, 10:51 AM
Beukeboom Fan

vCash: 500
Brad Stuart

I'm a huge Brad Stuart fan, but have really been perplexed why he's never developed as expected. He was a huge part of DET's blueline in the play-off's. He contributed offensively without getting PP time and played a very smart, physical game. (Great hit on Crosby in gm6 BTW!). What do people think he's going to go for on the UFA market?

Was his performance in DET because he was sheltered and part of the dominant team defense scheme? Should he really be slotted into a 2nd pairing role, or can he be more than that?

Last edited by Beukeboom Fan: 06-05-2008 at 11:12 AM.
Beukeboom Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 11:01 AM
Nich

3.5-4.5 mill a year...hopefully from the Rangers

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 11:11 AM
probertrules24
Down with the Bruins

I'm hoping the wings will get him locked in for 3.5-4 mill. He said that it's about time that he finds himself a home (team to stay with) and I think winning the cup will have a baring on this.

From what I've read he enjoys the role that he has in Detroit not being forced to be the 1-2 pairing and having a strong D core around him. He can be the fourth man on the team and log plenty of ice time.

He mentioned last night that the moment he arrived in Detroit he was made to feel like a big part of the team. Just from his comments it sounds like he likes the organization and the chance to win.

probertrules24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 11:48 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
I wouldn't count out a return to L.A. Not saying it's a guarantee but Stuart and Lombardi have a close relationship. Stuart's wife has to live in California.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 12:29 PM
NYR Viper

4 million fromn the rangers

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 12:36 PM
AgentNaslund*

Hes probably gonna sign with one of the California teams.

AgentNaslund* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 12:47 PM
voxel
Unsustainable Eberle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
Was his performance in DET because he was sheltered and part of the dominant team defense scheme? Should he really be slotted into a 2nd pairing role, or can he be more than that?
Did you watch him on the Flames? And the Kings? Those brainfarts of his aren't that uncommon. He's no top-pairing D-man.

He was probably sheltered - even Phaneuf was sheltered in his first two years (with Hamrlik + others) but broke out on his this season.

$3.5-$4M/yr is right... second pairing D-man pays around that range.

voxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 12:56 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

As has been stated already in the thread, I'd love to have him on the Rangers. If only to see him slam Crosby 8x a year like he did last night.

Highly doubt he'll leave Detroit though.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 12:56 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxel View Post
Did you watch him on the Flames? And the Kings? Those brainfarts of his aren't that uncommon. He's no top-pairing D-man.

He was probably sheltered - even Phaneuf was sheltered in his first two years (with Hamrlik + others) but broke out on his this season.

$3.5-$4M/yr is right... second pairing D-man pays around that range.
After being traded to BOS, I saw him look like a 1st pair d-man.

Everyone looked like crap in LA last year defensively. I honestly didn't see him very much during his short stint in CAL.

Am I crazy to think that he could step up into a #2 role on a good team?

Beukeboom Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 01:07 PM
voxel
Unsustainable Eberle

Quote:
Everyone looked like crap in LA last year defensively. I honestly didn't see him very much during his short stint in CAL.
I though Blake looked fine mid-season (pre-injury) while JJ + Lubo were not good for different reasons IMO.

Quote:
Am I crazy to think that he could step up into a #2 role on a good team?
He was a #4 with the Flames and still looked bad (i.e go for hit and put himself out of position). He's fine a filler second-pairing D-man if you don't have any better options.

Offensively he's kinda done... nice shot, but I don't see him hitting 30pts.

voxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 01:13 PM
Reds4Life
HFBoards Sponsor

I hope he decides to stay in Detroit.
3 million a year would be fair deal.

Reds4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 01:54 PM
sweatypickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
I hope he decides to stay in Detroit.
3 million a year would be fair deal.
He'd have to take a 1.5-2.5 million dollar pay cut to do so though so I don't see it.

sweatypickle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 05:25 PM
HankTheTank

I hope he stays for 3.0 - 3.5 but I'm not holding my breath ... prolly Cali bound.

As someone noted - his brain cramps or "meltdowns" are undeniable, he's good for a few brutal ones .... luckily our team D covered up for almost all of them in the playoffs.

Still a solid top 4 guy who can eat minutes and hit a bit.

HankTheTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 05:38 PM
RocheBag

Send a message via AIM to RocheBag Send a message via MSN to RocheBag
He'll be back in California.

RocheBag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 05:43 PM
Brent Burns
Ryane Cloews

He was never really the same after Jody Shelley of all people (while on CBJ obviously) gave him a cheapshot that resulted in a concussion. His potential ceiling was definitely higher than what he's at now... and that's a scary thought considering he's a pretty solid d-man imo. I'd love him back in SJ.

Brent Burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 07:34 PM
flip51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
I wouldn't count out a return to L.A. Not saying it's a guarantee but Stuart and Lombardi have a close relationship. Stuart's wife has to live in California.
I would be very surprised if he ends up back in LA. He already said the reason he was traded is because he did NOT want to play there. He wasn't willing to sign an extension for a team that quite openly admits they will not be competitive for a few years. Of course after winning a Stanley Cup he may change his mind and not care whether he is with a winning organization or not.

I'd like him on Detroit for around $3 mill a year. I don't like the idea of him getting any more than Kronner so I guess he'd have to take a pay cut.

flip51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 07:40 PM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsstatic View Post
He was never really the same after Jody Shelley of all people (while on CBJ obviously) gave him a cheapshot that resulted in a concussion. His potential ceiling was definitely higher than what he's at now... and that's a scary thought considering he's a pretty solid d-man imo. I'd love him back in SJ.
He had his best overall season in 2003-04, after the Shelley hit, so I doubt that had much long-term effect.

Considering his wife has to live in California to maintain custody of her children from a previous marriage, I would bank on Stuart signing in Anaheim if Niedermayer retires.

Blades of Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 07:46 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
I think that all the claims of a player wanting to move to a certain geographical location are a bit far fetched. He'll go where the money is best for him if its enough to make it worth it to him.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 09:04 PM
sweatypickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by flip51 View Post
I would be very surprised if he ends up back in LA. He already said the reason he was traded is because he did NOT want to play there. He wasn't willing to sign an extension for a team that quite openly admits they will not be competitive for a few years. Of course after winning a Stanley Cup he may change his mind and not care whether he is with a winning organization or not.

I'd like him on Detroit for around $3 mill a year. I don't like the idea of him getting any more than Kronner so I guess he'd have to take a pay cut.
First where did you read that? Second the Wings won't sign him for the 4-5 million he'll require..

sweatypickle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 09:07 PM
The Big Swede

I dont think hell resign with the Wings

Expect 3.5-4 maybe even more on the market

The Big Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 10:09 PM
detredWINgs

He'll either sign with Detroit or California.

I highly doubt hes going to expose himself to the market this year. He said so himself that its time he found a home. Hes already done that with Detroit. He has great chemistry with Kronwall and theyve become good friends off the ice as well, which gives him a chance to have a steady partner for as long as hed like, should he choose to stay in Detroit. Hes also had great success and the Red Wings are an envied organization for the money they put into their club as well as how they treat their players. Also, he wouldnt be the first former King to play for the Wings while his family split time in LA and Detroit. He'll spend the off-season in California regardless. The Wings can also afford to give him the some 4 million he'll likely be looking for, and they can afford to give him a long-term contract. However, all of this comes at the price of him being far from his family, which is usually the hitch in contract negotations in a situation like this. Not to mention, his wife just had a child about a month ago or so, and he'll want to be around for the early years. But then again, custody hearings can be had with frequency..

detredWINgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 10:18 PM
Ricelund
troll

I hope he stays in Detroit. He and Kronwall were excellent together.

Lidstrom-Rafalski
Kronwall-Stuart

What a top four. I'd love to see those four together for a full season.

06-05-2008, 11:02 PM
10 ft. pole

I talked to Rob Blake a couple of weeks ago and he said Brad will probly stay in Detroit. If he doesn't for some strange reason he will just catch the return flight back to LA.

10 ft. pole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 12:45 AM
Colton2233

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
I thought I read that his wife has to stay in California I wasnt sure though. Whats the reason behind her to must live in California?

Colton2233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 12:47 AM
gonzo11
Give the dog a bone

He should resign with the wings

gonzo11 is offline   Reply With Quote