HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stanley Cup Final Thread

Closed Thread

Old
06-04-2008, 10:46 PM
KBstyle

vCash: 500
It was great to see Downey win the cup, the guy deserve it.

Old
06-05-2008, 12:35 AM
Istvan

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
The only similarities is that they both have a lot of Europeans on their teams. Other than that they are nothing alike. Even then, the Wings have a lot of Scandinavians while Montreal has a lot of Eastern Europeans. So really they are nothing alike.
I think the Habs are emphasizing skill over just size. They are seemingly trying to be a puck posession team. They do have a number of skilled Euro players [ I didn't think a Scandinavian vs Eastern European distinction was of consequence.] They don't provide ice time to a full time goon. They cycle well low down. They have a Euro captain. They have a good transition game. So, yes I think they are alike in many ways.

Old
06-05-2008, 02:20 AM
Clumsyhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBstyle View Post
It was great to see Downey win the cup, the guy deserve it.
Why him more than others? Great guy =not deserves the Cup.

Old
06-05-2008, 02:45 AM
Sthabs

The Wings have such a beautiful hockey machine...They took years to fine tune their environment, style of play, players according to it, experience, everything and it paid off again tonight.

Congrats!

I was hoping for the Wings to win, they may not be as sexy as the Pens but when they re on they a play a so perfect game it s a treat to watch...
And that s where I hope the Habs are going, Carbos been talking about teamplay and all, the Wings are showing exactly what we should do, and I believe the Habs, and some other teams, are already a step above other teams in that direction.

But we still need to play better TEAM defense, play better without the puck, give more options to the defense, rely less on the goalies, that s all related. We have the speed and talent to do it. We did it almost as well as Detroit some games during the regular season but still lack experience, confidence amonst other things... and dont have all of their players ready yet, but it ll come...or add Sundin and you just made a huge jump forward ... (Whats the Sundin smily?)

Old
06-05-2008, 05:22 AM
Chomsky

I definitely want Hossa for my next playoff run...

Old
06-05-2008, 05:31 AM
David_99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sthabs View Post
But we still need to play better TEAM defense, play better without the puck, give more options to the defense, rely less on the goalies, that s all related. We have the speed and talent to do it. We did it almost as well as Detroit some games during the regular season but still lack experience, confidence amonst other things... and dont have all of their players ready yet, but it ll come...
Detroit only allowed 1 shot for the first half of the 3rd. They dominate defensively like that all the time. Their skill is something, imo, beyond our reach with the current players we have/style we play. I hope I'm wrong but I think we still have a long way to go. Our D backup waaay too much and don't support each other. How many times has a team scored on us coming into our zone with an innocent 1 on 4 play? (And I don't mean Crosby or Ovy). Then there's dump ins. Teams also know to dump the puck in our zone. We saw this with Boston and Philly. Thankfully we have Price to play the puck sometimes, because our D go in alone and panic too much. There's no one to pass to, to take it out of the zone, so they dump along the boards. This causes A) turn overs B) icings C) delay of Game penalties. Komo(and maybe Hamer) is the only one who can clear the front of the net. No one is scared to park in front and bang a garbage goal. (Unless Price is in a "mood" and hacks 'em )

Other then the Pleky line, our transition game relies too much on long stretch passes, which miss half the time. Our young forwards are getting there but we need a better D coach. Do we even have one? Jarvis?

Old
06-05-2008, 07:05 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
I'm just glad it's over, so now we can focus on the draft and July 1.

Old
06-05-2008, 07:40 AM
Shabutie

I'm most happy for McCarthy. Hopefully this time he gets to keep his ring.

Old
06-05-2008, 08:46 AM
KBstyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clumsyhab View Post
Why him more than others? Great guy =not deserves the Cup.
The other deserve it too. This never cry about is ice time. He know his role and play it perfectly. He give is heart to his club every shift he play, it's not always pretty but he sacrifice himself for the team.

I love to see a guy like that win the cup.

Old
06-05-2008, 08:55 AM
anarmandaleb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Babcock talking about his relationship with the McGill University and a guy up there that helped him. Said that he always had a lot of support coming from McGill and Montreal.
Damn straight. I'm so happy about this result.

Old
06-05-2008, 02:07 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Istvan View Post
I think the Habs are emphasizing skill over just size. They are seemingly trying to be a puck posession team. They do have a number of skilled Euro players [ I didn't think a Scandinavian vs Eastern European distinction was of consequence.] They don't provide ice time to a full time goon. They cycle well low down. They have a Euro captain. They have a good transition game. So, yes I think they are alike in many ways.
Power plays are quite similar, Habs put on passing clinics many times this year. Habs are still learning ( That 5-1 beating by Detroit is a good exemple ) but we're getting there.

Last night game was great with that final push by Hossa, it was much better than last year.

Old
06-05-2008, 02:26 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
I definitely want Hossa for my next playoff run...
Can't believe they'll let him go. They let all the others go and even trade some before Hossa, pretty certain about that.

I'm really expecting to hear some news about his signing in Pittsburgh before the draft.

Old
06-05-2008, 02:46 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Can't believe they'll let him go. They let all the others go and even trade some before Hossa, pretty certain about that.

I'm really expecting to hear some news about his signing in Pittsburgh before the draft.
It depends on Fluery. He is certain to get quite a healthy raise in the offseason.

Old
06-05-2008, 02:48 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:

It will not be easy for the Pens to keep them all.Gonchar comes off the books after next year 5 million but still not enough.He will need to take a pay cut to stay in Pittsburgh but for a good reason,I would no doubt about it

Old
06-05-2008, 02:49 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
It depends on Fluery. He is certain to get quite a healthy raise in the offseason.
I think Fleury will be the type to leave some for others in order to keep the team togheter,may be wrong though

Old
06-05-2008, 02:51 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Spirit View Post
Power plays are quite similar, Habs put on passing clinics many times this year. Habs are still learning ( That 5-1 beating by Detroit is a good exemple ) but we're getting there.

Last night game was great with that final push by Hossa, it was much better than last year.
Alot better then last year,in the last 4 years the Ottawa - Anaheim was easily the worse

Old
06-05-2008, 03:30 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
It will not be easy for the Pens to keep them all.Gonchar comes off the books after next year 5 million but still not enough.He will need to take a pay cut to stay in Pittsburgh but for a good reason,I would no doubt about it
Especially since Staal and Malkin are both coming off of entry level contracts.

Old
06-05-2008, 04:13 PM
Plekanetzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee96 View Post
you better change it...NOW!!

2 Gatusso > 1 Gatusso

Old
06-05-2008, 05:52 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
and taking Gonchar off the books is huge loss on the backend.

Tampa got their Cup however discovered very quickly that having 3 very high payed players creates huge gaps in your lineup.

Old
06-05-2008, 06:42 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrei Kostopolous View Post

Tampa got their Cup however discovered very quickly that having 3 very high payed players creates huge gaps in your lineup.
Unfortunately for them, they signed those contracts before the salary cap.

Old
06-05-2008, 06:46 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrei Kostopolous View Post

The cap was $39M at the time. There is alot more money available now.

Old
06-05-2008, 06:49 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Random question: Who was the first European captain in the NHL and in what year?

Old
06-05-2008, 06:57 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Random question: Who was the first European captain in the NHL and in what year?
Without using google?

I know I heard the answer recently...but I dont remember.

Old
06-05-2008, 07:27 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
The cap was $39M at the time. There is alot more money available now.
Its all relative. The Cap goes up so do the Stars salaries. The effect of Lecavalier making 7.5 million on a 39 mill Cap is not much different than Malkin making 11-12 million on a 56 million dollar cap.

Old
06-05-2008, 07:33 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
Unfortunately for them, they signed those contracts before the salary cap.
They did get the rollback that helped out too however another thing we have to remember is that while the Cap number is tossed around, teams only have to meet the floor.

We don't know exactly the mandate ownership has given management. For all we know, the cap is 56 million however ownership has flat out told the GM you aren't going over 48 million. I am sure every team has been given a budget and likely not many of them are the cap.

Closed Thread