Notices

Ducks Announce Iowa Affiliation

Old
06-03-2008, 05:09 PM
MOENing

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcdmania View Post
It's definitely not closer than Portland.
It's closer!!!

MOENing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 06:07 PM
Ducks

Quote:
lol what? I suggest you take a look at this. BTW, it's Portland, Maine not Portland, Oregon.

Ducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 06:09 PM
Benny Lava

Quote:
The Pirates are in Portland, Maine not Portland, Oregon. Anyway, I can't say I didn't see this coming.

Benny Lava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 07:44 PM
Ducks

Personally I'm excited about this move, with this and the ECHL move it feels like we are moving our farm teams in the right direction (quite literally )

I'm eager to see the new AHL jersey and team colors.

Ducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 08:03 PM
cmcdmania

Whoopsie. I mapped out Portland to Iowa and forgot that there are 2 Portlands (as well as the one the affiliation is in). Thanks everyone!!

cmcdmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 08:52 PM
wildcat48
HFB Partner

Ducks fly west to Iowa
Quote:
It’s official.

Anaheim Ducks’ Executive Vice President and General Manager Brian Burke and Kirby Schlegel, Founder and Chairman of Schlegel Sports, owner of Iowa’s AHL franchise made the announcement today in Des Moines that they’ve agreed to a two-year affiliation agreement through 2011.

This effectively ends the Ducks relationship in Portland after three years.
Link>>>>

wildcat48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 12:51 AM
MOENing

Quote:
Whoopsie. I mapped out Portland to Iowa and forgot that there are 2 Portlands (as well as the one the affiliation is in). Thanks everyone!!
No problem. Any gonna take a guess at a name? Iowa Ducks meh

Iowa ______

MOENing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 01:08 AM
HerrAlex

probably the ducks sadly.

HerrAlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 01:41 AM
Pepper

Iowa Wheat Fowls

Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 01:52 AM
Benny Lava

Iowa Mighty Chefs. This can be the mascot:

Benny Lava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 10:21 AM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

Something interesting:

Quote:
Anaheim is working with Dallas to have some former Iowa Stars players return to Des Moines next season.

“We’ve asked them to have some continuity and carryover; are there some players we could acquire through trades or they could place here so the fans don’t see 20 new faces on opening night?” Burke said.
http://www.desmoinesregister.com/app...S1403/80603030

My first thought would be AHL veteran free agents to fill out the ranks, especially if players like St. Jacques, King, Leach, Hoffman and others do not return to the Ducks organization.

The Stars iced a pretty young team in Iowa, but there are a few guys who are free agents this off season.

Trevor Byrne, a defenseman who signed with Dallas last off-season and played all season in Iowa. He's originally a Blues draft pick and played most of the past five seasons in the AHL and ECHL.

Dan Jancevski was a member of the Stars taxi squad during the playoffs. A defenseman, he was originally drafted by the Stars and was picked up by Dallas again midway through the season in a trade with Tampa Bay. He's played the past seven seasons in the AHL and has six games of NHL experience under his belt.

Bryce Lampman is another defenseman who played part of the past season as a member of Iowa. Like Jancevski, he was traded to the Stars partway through the season from Tampa Bay. He's originally a Rangers prospect and has spent the past six years in the AHL. He's got 10 games of NHL experience.

I believe that defenseman Chris Lee was signed to an AHL contract with the Stars and he could also be available. He's played four years of pro hockey, with this being his first full season in the AHL.

Just thinking aloud.

Looking at Dallas' other prospects, I would think players like B.J. Crombeen (http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/brandon_crombeen) or Chris Connor (http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/chris_conner) would be interesting targets for a trade. Hard-working forwards that might not break the bank to acquire.

Last edited by Kevin Forbes: 06-04-2008 at 10:33 AM.
Kevin Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 11:38 AM
wildcat48
HFB Partner

First thing to note....

The Iowa franchise will be known as the Iowa Thunder. The reason why it wasn't announced is the team is still seeking approvals and all that stuff.

Next...

Kevin, I actually expect the Ducks to become much younger and more prospect based. They were heading that way in Portland especially if they stuck around and I expect it to continue with Iowa.

They may add a veteran or two, but I don't see them adding the five or six vets they had on the roster in Portland....especially with some key prospects coming into the pipeline.

wildcat48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 12:00 PM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat48 View Post
Kevin, I actually expect the Ducks to become much younger and more prospect based. They were heading that way in Portland especially if they stuck around and I expect it to continue with Iowa.

They may add a veteran or two, but I don't see them adding the five or six vets they had on the roster in Portland....especially with some key prospects coming into the pipeline.
I agree full heartly, but they simply don't have the prospects in their system to replace the veterans leaving, especially on the blueline. Only deGray looks to be making the jump to pro this year and there could be two or three spots open from departing veterans. Klubertanz appears headed to Europe, Mitera is a year away and Kampfer is probably two years away.

Up front, it's not as bad, with Morrison, Bailey and Beleskey starting their pro careers as well as Bolt and Dingle fighting for full time in the AHL. Guys like MacMillan, Macenauer and Tangradi are a year away.

Either way, I was just taking Burke's comments about keeping ties with the previous Stars team and extrapolating it out to look at who might be a fit. Interesting enough, the majority of available free agents are defensemen, which might help out the Iowa team quite a bit in filling out their lineup.

Kevin Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 03:18 PM
TheStateOfHockey

interesting. so no more Portland Pirates affiliations in the AHL eh?

TheStateOfHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 06:38 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStateOfHockey View Post
interesting. so no more Portland Pirates affiliations in the AHL eh?
you lose Wildcat but gain a Iowa writer since most of us are migrating to the Buffalo board.

Thanks again Kevin for three years. Wish it could've been longer

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 02:26 AM
piqued
Global Moderator
anyone order a dman?

vCash: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Forbes View Post
Looking at Dallas' other prospects, I would think players like B.J. Crombeen (http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/brandon_crombeen) or Chris Connor (http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/chris_conner) would be interesting targets for a trade. Hard-working forwards that might not break the bank to acquire.
Crombeen is definitely a Ducks kind of player. He played in a few of the playoff games between the teams. Good size, skating, abrasive, willing to fight. Right now he seems to be in the Stars' plans for the 4th line, although that's very much up in the air.

I'd say Conner is more likely to be available via trade... he was rumored to be a throw-in to some of the iterations of the Tampa Richards deadline deal. Problem there is that he's undersized and not really skilled enough to compensate. He doesn't strike me as anything more than AHL roster filler in the Anaheim org.

It would be interesting though if the Ducks are open to bringing back some of the Stars' "real" prospects, who as of now, have nowhere to play next year. Something is going to have to be worked out with a split affiliation eventually. Hard to imagine it happening with division rivals though.

piqued is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 11:39 PM
Mooseduck

Go Iowa Thunder!

Mooseduck is offline   Reply With Quote