HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2008 Draft Thread

Closed Thread

Old
06-05-2008, 08:21 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Don't you worry, inferno knows exactly what he's getting from me.

Very well then, carry on

Old
06-05-2008, 08:37 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
The Carlson bandwagon left a few days ago; you really need to be more punctual with these things.
bah! truth be told, ive hardly read this thread, or this forum. Ive been ridiculously busy with work. Weve been expanding, nearly doubling the inventory, its a lot of work keeping up with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomez to Jagr View Post
Take it easy on the poor guy, I haven't seen him on here recently. For the record, I do agree that the Rangers should snatch Carlson at 20 if he is around, and if Tedenby is off the board.
See, im glad someone noticed!
Quote:
Don't you worry, inferno knows exactly what he's getting from me.

Old
06-05-2008, 08:41 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
bah! truth be told, ive hardly read this thread, or this forum. Ive been ridiculously busy with work. Weve been expanding, nearly doubling the inventory, its a lot of work keeping up with it.

Wah, I have work....wah, I can't post as much...where the heck are your priorities???

Old
06-05-2008, 09:00 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
the more i read about John Carlson, the more i think this is the guy we should take.
Yeah, join the party. But sadly I don't see him being on the board when we pick...unless we move up. He's exactly the guy we need.

Old
06-05-2008, 09:16 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
if the Rangers draft him, they should change his name to Hanson for olde time hockey.

Old
06-05-2008, 09:34 PM
Edge

There's the part if me that hopes Beach somehow falls to us or is availble for us to obtain.

It's a fantasy, but hey.

Old
06-06-2008, 01:57 AM
Ola

Whos better at the same age, Beech or Schremp?

Old
06-06-2008, 03:04 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Wah, I have work....wah, I can't post as much...where the heck are your priorities???

Old
06-06-2008, 03:31 AM
DarthSather99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
There's the part if me that hopes Beach somehow falls to us or is availble for us to obtain.

It's a fantasy, but hey.
Me too...there are some negative stuff about Beach that may let him fall far enough for us to trade up to get him. I always hold out hope.

Old
06-06-2008, 06:37 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
All in good fun.

Old
06-06-2008, 09:20 AM
DontStepanMe

I've been thinking about this draft and people say to trade down, and also about our lack of highly skilled forwards. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the 2009 supposed to be stacked w/ highly skilled forwards. It seems to me that maybe the best trade we could make would be trade our 08 first for say a 09 first and and 08 second if there really isn't anybody available that is extremely intriguing.

Who knows maybe the 09 first could turn into a lottery pick. Thoughts?

Old
06-06-2008, 09:40 AM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
I've been thinking about this draft and people say to trade down, and also about our lack of highly skilled forwards. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the 2009 supposed to be stacked w/ highly skilled forwards. It seems to me that maybe the best trade we could make would be trade our 08 first for say a 09 first and and 08 second if there really isn't anybody available that is extremely intriguing.

Who knows maybe the 09 first could turn into a lottery pick. Thoughts?
I like that idea, but since '09 is so highly touted, I'd be surprised if someone bit.

Old
06-06-2008, 09:49 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
I like that idea, but since '09 is so highly touted, I'd be surprised if someone bit.
i agree, that woul dbe nice....although, there are always teams looking to grab one other kid at pretty much every spot who im sure would give up their picks next year because thats next year...and throughout the year can try to replace them with others which normally happens anyways......would love to trade our first and second to columbus for their first 09....or to florida or someone like that

Old
06-06-2008, 10:14 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
The one criticism I read in THN is that "Niemi could be a little more physical and mean." Not a ringing endorsement for a D-line that needs both of those attributes.
This was his first year in NA, give him a little more time. He had some nice hits towards the latter half of his season, he started to get more comfortable.

That being said I'd guess he goes in the late first round, maybe to Detroit.

Old
06-06-2008, 10:18 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post

It's a fantasy, but hey.
I think with the lack of quality larger sized forwards in this draft teams will put aside his off ice issues and he'll go before pick 15.

Old
06-06-2008, 11:08 AM
DarthSather99

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
i agree, that woul dbe nice....although, there are always teams looking to grab one other kid at pretty much every spot who im sure would give up their picks next year because thats next year...and throughout the year can try to replace them with others which normally happens anyways......would love to trade our first and second to columbus for their first 09....or to florida or someone like that
There is no way any team is going to trade a 1st rounder next year until the end of next season ensuring that there is no possible chance at Tavares. Teams never know when they may fall to the bottom of the standings. Some may even be induced internally.

Old
06-06-2008, 11:16 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSather99 View Post
There is no way any team is going to trade a 1st rounder next year until the end of next season ensuring that there is no possible chance at Tavares. Teams never know when they may fall to the bottom of the standings. Some may even be induced internally.

Teams will do such a thing when they perceive the following year's draft to be weak...(2000, anyone?). But, since this year is considered deep, and next year even better, I just don't see it happening. A team like LA could be willing to trade up this year, since the have a high 1st round pick, and extra 2nds and 3rds, and already have an excellent system.

Old
06-07-2008, 03:05 AM
Lundqvist=Vezina
Legendary

vCash: 529
Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist=Vezina
The two guys I want the most who could realistically fall are Beach and Carlson.

Old
06-07-2008, 08:43 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

I think Beach realistically could fall to us, because of head issues (concussions not attitude/personality).

06-07-2008, 11:16 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundqvist=Vezina View Post
The two guys I want the most who could realistically fall are Beach and Carlson.
I hope you're right about Carlson, but it seems like he was already projected to be picked around #20 before his latest hype from the combine. I hope we try trading up to grab him if he's still on the board at around 16...hopefully the price won't be too steep. I'd deal a 3rd rounder to move up a few spots.

Old
06-07-2008, 11:45 AM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
I hope you're right about Carlson, but it seems like he was already projected to be picked around #20 before his latest hype from the combine. I hope we try trading up to grab him if he's still on the board at around 16...hopefully the price won't be too steep. I'd deal a 3rd rounder to move up a few spots.
I don't know... Carlson seems like a hit or miss. I don't like the fact he played in the USHL. He's basically a high school player.

Jessiman was another player with the 'raw talent' and 'tools' who hadn't played in a legitimate program yet.

A first round pick should be a player whose proven something somewhere, whether it be RSL, WHL, OHL... etc...

Old
06-07-2008, 11:56 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby View Post
I don't know... Carlson seems like a hit or miss. I don't like the fact he played in the USHL. He's basically a high school player.

Jessiman was another player with the 'raw talent' and 'tools' who hadn't played in a legitimate program yet.

A first round pick should be a player whose proven something somewhere, whether it be RSL, WHL, OHL... etc...
He's headed to London of the OHL, a much better place for him.

Old
06-07-2008, 01:49 PM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

Any thoughts on Patrice Cormier?

On a good day the guy looked like a young Messier. I don't understand his doubters, citing lack of motivation and care. The games I saw Cormier always stood up for his teammates and showed a nasty side frequently, both provoked and unprovoked. Offensively he has some juice to squeeze and can skate pretty well. He looks like a pro hockey player atleast to me.

What's the word on him? It doesn't bother me how highly rated he was, he could be a decent 2nd-3rd rounder...

Old
06-07-2008, 02:17 PM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby View Post

every prospect that has anything similar to jessiman is NOT guaranteed to turn out like jessiman. i laugh everytime i read this...someone wants to take a college kid 'well we took jessiman out of college how did that work'...someone wants to take a big power forward 'well jessiman is a power forward how did that work'...shut up. there are countless 'projects' and guys with 'raw talent' that have turned into very very successful player. just because we got one that didn't doesn't mean we should forever draft out of fear

Old
06-07-2008, 02:47 PM
eco's bones

The USHL is a lot better league than the prep school league that Jessiman came out of. Not only is the competition better but they play a lot more games. Of the Div. 1 college leagues IMO the ECAC where Jessiman played for Dartmouth has traditionally been much weaker than the CCHA, WCHA and Hockey East. Jessiman before turning pro never really played against real top notch competition. Carlson is heading for the OHL's London Knights--that will be tough competition. If he's available he should be an excellent pick for us. His combine results have probably pushed him up the food chain though.

Closed Thread