HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Hossa would take less to stay in Pittsburgh

Old
06-06-2008, 08:19 PM
Illinest

vCash: 500
btn is atlanta's assistant GM probably.

Illinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 08:20 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by likea View Post
maybe he wanted to play for a team that has a chance to win.
And maybe he wanted to pick where he wants to play, after being traded days after signing a 3 year deal with the Senators.

I agree he wants to be on a winner, the Pens are far from the only winning team out there...and there are many winning teams that have better salary cap situations over the next 5-6 years.

btn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 08:22 PM
66-29-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn View Post
And maybe he wanted to pick where he wants to play, after being traded days after signing a 3 year deal with the Senators.

I agree he wants to be on a winner, the Pens are far from the only winning team out there...and there are many winning teams that have better salary cap situations over the next 5-6 years.
That's why he does a 3 year deal, then a long term for the money deal. 4 chances to win the cup, then the money GM's think he should get.

66-29-33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 08:24 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinest View Post
btn is atlanta's assistant GM probably.
Or maybe I live in Atlanta, follow the local media closely, and know more about the Thrashers-Hossa negotiations than most people around here.

Old
06-06-2008, 08:26 PM
Illinest

Quote:
Or maybe I live in Atlanta, follow the local media closely, and know more about the Thrashers-Hossa negotiations than most people around here.
Maybe you're assuming a lack of information equals a fact.

Old
06-06-2008, 08:26 PM
likea

Quote:
you know more than Hossa? he certainly said if he just wanted to take a large amount of money he would of stayed in Atlanta...but you say he is lying...you seem very bitter

likea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 08:29 PM
yohan1212

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-29-33 View Post
That's why he does a 3 year deal, then a long term for the money deal. 4 chances to win the cup, then the money GM's think he should get.
thats all you pitt's fans pipe dream. He is as good as gone. he will sign at 5 years at a minimum for 8-9 million per..

yohan1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 08:30 PM
pitseleh

Quote:
Not saying he wouldn't do it, but he'd be giving up quite a bit of security taking a shorter term deal, especially on a discount. Maybe he does like it that much in Pittsburgh, but it is a lot to be giving up.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 08:31 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

3 years in Atlanta, 3 months in Pitt. Believe what you wish, however considering how quickly Pens fans threw Armstrong and Christensen under the bus when they were traded. I know how this will end when Hossa signs somewhere other than the Pens.

Old
06-06-2008, 08:33 PM
Armond White
Go Sabres!

Quote:
sorry, i forgot the www. in front of Pittsburghpenguins.com when i made a link. most people realize it goes there.
Oh, you are so smart. It's not like the quote, with your wonderfully vague description, is hard to find. Most people realize that it's easier to provide a direct link than to give directions.

Armond White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 08:33 PM
Brian28

Quote:
no problem.

go to pittsburghpenguins.com

now click on the Hossa interview on the front page. its the second question.

he says even if i wanted to make a couple more dollars i would of just re-signed with Atlanta!!!!!!!!!!!!!

now eat some crow!!!

"
And Pens fans wonder why some are getting a bad name. A mod asked you to prove a statement b/c YOU didn't provide a link. That's how you treat people who ask you to provide documented evidence of your statements?

Brian28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 08:36 PM
Illinest

Quote:
you know more than Hossa? he certainly said if he just wanted to take a large amount of money he would of stayed in Atlanta...but you say he is lying...you seem very bitter
Hossa certainly has some clue about what the media is speculating for his open market value.

So if Hossa says 'I could have had a lot of money in Atlanta' you can be damn sure that he's referencing that 'lots of money' comment to what is currently being tossed around by the media, therefore Atlanta's final offer must have been AT LEAST higher than the average figures being tossed around by the media, which was 7 to 8 million per year the day after the trade.

The idea that 7 million dollars was Atlanta's highest offer is debunked by implied higher value in Mr. Hossa's statement.

Old
06-06-2008, 08:38 PM
HankTheTank

Realistically - how much can the Pens give him? 6mill, 7, 8?

What's the scoop on the future budget?

HankTheTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
likea

Quote:
3 years in Atlanta, 3 months in Pitt. Believe what you wish, however considering how quickly Pens fans threw Armstrong and Christensen under the bus when they were traded. I know how this will end when Hossa signs somewhere other than the Pens.
under the bus??? what are you talking about?? Armstrong is still loved here. I was at the first game we played Atlanta and they started the game and got a nice applause. Armstrong watched some of the playoffs from pittsburgh, he watched one game at a bar in which i was in attendence and people love the guy....come on now

Old
hotshot26

Quote:
Where are you getting this 3 year deal idea from? I HIGHLY doubt Hossa takes a contract that pays him less than he's worth during his prime. So you want him to take a pay cut on a contract that ends when he's 32. By that time he may get a career ending injury or have his game decline. Also, that year their might be a lot more FA's to contend with as opposed to this year where he's the number one free agent out there. Not making sense to me.

hotshot26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 08:39 PM
likea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian28 View Post
And Pens fans wonder why some are getting a bad name. A mod asked you to prove a statement b/c YOU didn't provide a link. That's how you treat people who ask you to provide documented evidence of your statements?
a bitter Atlanta fan asked and I sent him to the link.

Old
06-06-2008, 08:40 PM
likea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheektovanek View Post
Oh, you are so smart. It's not like the quote, with your wonderfully vague description, is hard to find. Most people realize that it's easier to provide a direct link than to give directions.
right, clicking on the name Hossa on the front page of Pittsburghpenguins.com is hard to find.

Old
06-06-2008, 08:40 PM
aegwillnotwinthecup*

I really don't see how Pittsburgh could keep Crosby, Hossa, and Malkin. That's like a 24 million dollar cap hit for three players. I just don't see it happening.

aegwillnotwinthecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 08:45 PM
FissionFire

"Hello Marian? Ken Holland here. We've got a ton of cap flexibility and think you'd fit in nicely with our team. Let me make you an offer you can't refuse....."

FissionFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 08:45 PM
Macke*

My money is on Hossa going to Boston.

Malone will stay with the Pens.

Macke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 08:46 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

As for the guy that said "imagine HF boards if the Penguins got to resign all of their players..."

Ok, no problem, say goodbye to Geno and possibly Staal.

With that, you didn't take into account the fact that Malkin's and Staal's entry level contracts end after next season. Sign Hossa, Malone, Orpik, and Fleury.

Goligoski, Talbot, and Kennedy are also up for RFA status next year as well.

You want to sign those guys? Go right ahead and let everyone else poach Malkin and Staal from you.

You'll get the four first rounders for Malkin if you don't trade him before hand, but Staal won't fetch that kind of package.

Poor asset management at it's finest... and I thought the Islanders and Devils were bad...

Quote:
no problem.

go to pittsburghpenguins.com

now click on the Hossa interview on the front page. its the second question.

he says even if i wanted to make a couple more dollars i would of just re-signed with Atlanta!!!!!!!!!!!!!

now eat some crow!!!

"
I don't buy that at all.

Considering from nearly day one he stated that he was testing the free agent waters, and had no intention whatsoever of staying in Atlanta, that's a load of ********.

I remember him saying in November talks had hit a stalemate and that it was pretty much a given that he was going to test the UFA market in the upcoming summer.

Quote:
3rd degree burns there, I love the responses I've seen so far to this fact, such as...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinest View Post
Maybe you're assuming a lack of information equals a fact.
Incredible justification of the fact that you really have no clue of what went on at all in Atlanta, and apparently have no memory whatsoever of the lack of a contract negotiation between the Thrashers and Hossa.

He was as good as gone well before Christmas break, and that conclusion was reached on both sides.

Quote:
Not only are there teams with better salary cap situations, but there are teams who will give him more DOUBLE and maybe then some, of what Pittsburgh is willing to give him per year, for 5-6 years.

This guy has been looking for a home-run contract to help out his 401K for about 2 or 3 years now. The only thing that's hurt him is a dropoff in production this year. If he had 3 straight 90+ point seasons, he could be looking at 9 million+.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 08:47 PM
hotshot26

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingswillwinthecup View Post
I really don't see how Pittsburgh could keep Crosby, Hossa, and Malkin. That's like a 24 million dollar cap hit for three players. I just don't see it happening.
No worries, everyone loves playing in Pittsburgh. Malkin was seen smiling while at practice once, so OBVIOUSLY he's going to take a huge paycut to stay there.. just check pittsburghpenguins.com.. it's all on there I swear

hotshot26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 08:53 PM
66-29-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotshot26 View Post
Where are you getting this 3 year deal idea from? I HIGHLY doubt Hossa takes a contract that pays him less than he's worth during his prime. So you want him to take a pay cut on a contract that ends when he's 32. By that time he may get a career ending injury or have his game decline. Also, that year their might be a lot more FA's to contend with as opposed to this year where he's the number one free agent out there. Not making sense to me.
So everyone needs long term deals worth the max they can possibly get????

66-29-33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 08:57 PM
likea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldshot View Post
As for the guy that said "imagine HF boards if the Penguins got to resign all of their players..."

Ok, no problem, say goodbye to Geno and possibly Staal.

With that, you didn't take into account the fact that Malkin's and Staal's entry level contracts end after next season. Sign Hossa, Malone, Orpik, and Fleury.

Goligoski, Talbot, and Kennedy are also up for RFA status next year as well.

You want to sign those guys? Go right ahead and let everyone else poach Malkin and Staal from you.

You'll get the four first rounders for Malkin if you don't trade him before hand, but Staal won't fetch that kind of package.

Poor asset management at it's finest... and I thought the Islanders and Devils were bad...

actually you could sign all if not most if they take a lil less and still sign Geno and Staal.

you don't see that Sydors 2.5 and Gills 2 million come off the books at the end of next year. so lets say geno signs for what Sid signed for 8.7 million. Geno makes around 4 million this year and add on Sydors and Gills salary and where are you???

4 +2 = 6 +2.5 =8.5

Sydor hardly played for this team during the playoffs, not a big loss. Now the cap goes up every year. staal has a cap hit of 2.2 million. the cap goes up by 3 million and now you have Staals raise and the little money geno is owed.

what?? Sykora also comes off the books after next year at 2.75...I guess you could sign a guy at league min to replace Gill and Sykora spots while moving a guy like Staal to the 2nd line.

Old
06-06-2008, 08:59 PM
Novak Djokovic
MARC METHOT's #1 FAN

vCash: 966
He stays or not; Pens won the trade by a landslide as they made it to the Finals.

Novak Djokovic is online now   Reply With Quote