HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Chris Higgins, where is the love?

Old
06-06-2008, 12:19 PM
anarmandaleb

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I saw Higgins once again yesterday. He bulked up a bit it seems since the last time i saw him.
He's here?

anarmandaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 12:20 PM
Fido22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talent Analyst View Post
Higgins takes many shoots, but at least half of these are from ''impossible'' spot to score. This is a good thing to shoot, especially if someone goes in front of the net to takes rebounds, which none does.
Yes. What he said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I saw Higgins once again yesterday. He bulked up a bit it seems since the last time i saw him.
Yes, he did.

Fido22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 12:21 PM
Fido22

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarmandaleb View Post
He's here?
Higginsinthebagbaby!

Fido22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 12:25 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Like i've said before, last off-season Chris spent most of it rehabbing his injured shoulder. This off-season he will be able to spend more of it focusing on his on-ice game which will help with his consistency which will result in more goals. Definitely could see him potting 35, possibly more next year.

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 12:27 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

I think people have misconstrued Higgins' feeling confident and setting lofty goals into him making a bold prediction.

Let's review the actual quote, taken from here:
Quote:
"I feel strong, the line's working really well and I'm getting a lot of shots on the net, so that's always going to translate into goals," Higgins said Wednesday as the Canadiens prepared to embark on a stretch of four straight road games. "Saku (Koivu) is passing the puck really well and the line's really working. Once we get (Michael) Ryder going, hopefully it will result in more goals."
"I definitely think I'm capable of reaching 40 goals," he said. "That's a good marker for me.

"Playing the minutes I play and with the guys I'm with, I think I have enough skill so I could score 40. It's a long season and it'll take a lot of work and a couple of lucky bounces, but I think I have the talent to put up those kinds of numbers."
"It's only my third year and I don't think I've had the year I think I'm capable of having," he said. "I think I was on the right track last year, but then I got that injury.

"If the line keeps playing the way it is, I'll probably get more recognized, but that's not what I'm really worried about."
It wasn't a prediction, so much as a goal. And even then, it was based on the criterion of getting Ryder going (which obviously didn't happen). Who are we to say that he won't or can't score 40? I don't think that many of us believe it's beyond his capability if he improves in areas.

And the 40/40 quote.
Quote:
“Chris replied, in a very confident voice, ‘I want to be a 40/40 (goals/assists) man with a big fat (Stanley Cup) ring on my finger.’
Another goal, not a prediction.

The only thing Higgins did wrong, was underestimate how much the media and fans of Montreal would spin his goal into their own expectation. He's still one of the most productive left wingers in hockey, and many think he's chump change. Tied for 11th in goals, and 24th in scoring among left wingers isn't nothing. Let's keep him around, and see what happens.

I wouldn't bet against him hitting 30 goals next year, which seems to be the magic number in Montreal for making you a worthwhile player.

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 12:35 PM
NativeHockey77*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fido22 View Post
Are you another cousin of Carey Price?
I went to the same school as him

NativeHockey77* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 01:03 PM
tooley99

The only reason why people wanted him to be traded is because he didn't score 40 goals like people wanted to. He missed a lot of chances but at least he got chances. 52 points in a bad season and playing with Koivu ( at only 1.5 M$). Not that bad!! And we know he can be better. People would like to see Malone in a habs jersey. Well, 51 pts this season playing with malkin/crosby. And I'm no so sure he can be a better player over time. I would take higgins over malone anytime. Higgins a third line player... you're kidding me.

One good season in MTL and you're a star (Kovy)
One no so good season in MTL and you have to be traded (Higgins)

tooley99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 01:14 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post
I think people have misconstrued Higgins' feeling confident and setting lofty goals into him making a bold prediction.

Let's review the actual quote, taken from here:

It wasn't a prediction, so much as a goal. And even then, it was based on the criterion of getting Ryder going (which obviously didn't happen). Who are we to say that he won't or can't score 40? I don't think that many of us believe it's beyond his capability if he improves in areas.

And the 40/40 quote.

Another goal, not a prediction.

The only thing Higgins did wrong, was underestimate how much the media and fans of Montreal would spin his goal into their own expectation. He's still one of the most productive left wingers in hockey, and many think he's chump change. Tied for 11th in goals, and 24th in scoring among left wingers isn't nothing. Let's keep him around, and see what happens.

I wouldn't bet against him hitting 30 goals next year, which seems to be the magic number in Montreal for making you a worthwhile player.
Thanks RedScull, I was going to post something about our collective ability to both read and comprehend. Kind of like how we jump whenever Guy Lafleur speaks, usually only reading a poster's summation.

The guy wants to be 'up there' with the excellenet players in the league. He sets goals. He probably was too open and honest as it seems that while we say we want to hear non cliches from athletes, this is only the rule until they actually speak.

I think his overall game was too up and down this year. I'm a big fan of the kid and I like that he 'cares'. I'm confident that he'll play better hockey next year. I don't know whether that means 30/30, 25 /25 or whatever, that probably will be determined by who is acquired and how he's used. I'd like him to be a bit more rambunctious, but I think he's going to be fine.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 01:21 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
I hope Carbo molds him into a Brenden Morrow type. 20-30 with solid PKing and defensive play or 25-40 on the top line being the reliable defensive/gritty guy on the line. I think a big part of Higgins game is along the boards and it was missing this year from december till the end.

Team_Spirit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 01:36 PM
Corey

What do fans base their pronouncements on when they decree that certain players should score a certain number of goals? How do they know that Higgins is a 40-goal scorer, Latendresse is a 30-goal scorer, A. Kostitsyn is a 45-goal scorer, etc.? Are fans entitled to say these players aren't delivering when they don't meet the fans' arbitrary criteria? I wasn't a member of HFBoards at the time, but what did they say when Eric Chouinard fell way, way short of what their expectations presumably were? Were there as many posts about Chouinard as there have been about Higgins and Kostitsyn?

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 01:59 PM
iceman17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Drama View Post
Like i've said before, last off-season Chris spent most of it rehabbing his injured shoulder. This off-season he will be able to spend more of it focusing on his on-ice game which will help with his consistency which will result in more goals. Definitely could see him potting 35, possibly more next year.
I couldnt help but read your post in a Johnny Drama voice

iceman17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 02:46 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Hopefully he will surprise us like Kovy did last season.

Sined is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 02:55 PM
le_sean

I'll hang myself and put it on youtube if Higgins ever scores 40 goals.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 03:04 PM
Kachino

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
I'll hang myself and put it on youtube if Higgins ever scores 40 goals.
You sure you can do both things?

Kachino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 03:36 PM
Bullsmith

Guys got an A on his chest. Seems like he's getting plenty of love.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 03:57 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kachino82 View Post
You sure you can do both things?
Hopefully the amount of money I paid for tuition will help me with such a task

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 07:31 PM
Beakermania*

I don't know why everyone calls Higgins a 3rd liner..... His point total puts him among the top 90 forwards in the NHL.... thats 30 teams * 3 forwards per team = 90 first line NHL players...

Chris is a lower tier 1st liner or an Excellent 2nd liner.... He was on our 2nd line this year....

I fail to see how he's a third liner.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 07:37 PM
DrMailloux

He reminds me of Jan Bulis. Lots of talent but definetly not a sniper..

DrMailloux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 07:43 PM
Fozz

Higgins would be a perfect 3rd liner for an extremely talented and deep team.

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 07:44 PM
emb24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMailloux View Post
He reminds me of Jan Bulis. Lots of talent but definetly not a sniper..
i freakin' hate that comparison it's idiotic and intellectually dishonest. bulis scored 20 goals once in his 9 year NHL career; higgins has done it for three straight years to start his career. higgins wears an A and has tons more leadership, jam and work ethic than bulis EVER had.

emb24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 07:45 PM
NativeHockey77*

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SJEVxfWpm7c&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SJEVxfWpm7c&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

NativeHockey77* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 07:45 PM
emb24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
Higgins would be a perfect 3rd liner for an extremely talented and deep team.
the guy just scored 27 goals as a 24 year old. he's at worst, a second liner

emb24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 08:31 PM
tooley99

In Detroit or Pittsburgh, he would play on the 2nd line....right...but he is a good 3rd liner in MTL... makes sense

tooley99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 08:49 PM
Crusher20

Send a message via AIM to Crusher20 Send a message via Yahoo to Crusher20
The 3th line player comments are ridiculous.. at 52 pts in a season that would already be like one of the best 3th liners in all time... (dont try to play smart, you know what i mean)

Come on.. no doubt he should be at least 55-65pts man for the rest of his carreer if not better.

Crusher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 08:51 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooley99 View Post
In Detroit or Pittsburgh, he would play on the 2nd line....right...but he is a good 3rd liner in MTL... makes sense
You don't think he'd push Dupuis for icetime ?

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote