HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Hossa would take less to stay in Pittsburgh

Old
06-06-2008, 09:59 PM
pitseleh

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-29-33 View Post
So everyone needs long term deals worth the max they can possibly get????
Not necessarily, but it's asking a lot of a guy to give up both long-term security and short term pay for the right to play for a team, especially when there are other competitive teams that will have the cap space to give Hossa more money and longer term.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 10:01 PM
66-29-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
Not necessarily, but it's asking a lot of a guy to give up both long-term security and short term pay for the right to play for a team, especially when there are other competitive teams that will have the cap space to give Hossa more money and longer term.
No winning team can give him max for 7 years.

66-29-33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 10:02 PM
pitseleh

Quote:
No winning team can give him max for 7 years.
Not the max, but I could see a team like Montreal giving him upwards of $8-8.5 million over seven years, which would be more money and a longer term than Pittsburgh would likely offer.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 10:04 PM
hotshot26

Quote:
So everyone needs long term deals worth the max they can possibly get????
No, but a superstar that never got to pick what team he wanted to play for might. Your argument is like me saying I think Jeff Carter will sign for cheap in Philly because he was recently quoted saying he wants to stay here. The only way Hossa stays in Pitt is a long term deal w/ a very slight paycut (at the expense of either Malkin or Staal ) or a one term deal. Both are very unlikely because as allready mentioned, Boston is going to throw the kitchen sink at him.

hotshot26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 10:05 PM
Saved*

He reiterates numerous times how he wants to stay in Pittsburgh, but is worried about the Salary cap. If they can figure it out, he's as good as gold to stay in Pittsburgh.

Saved* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 10:06 PM
likea

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
Not the max, but I could see a team like Montreal giving him upwards of $8-8.5 million over seven years, which would be more money and a longer term than Pittsburgh would likely offer.
this is no rip against Montreal but I'm not sure a guy like Hossa would want to join a crazy hockey city like that. he made mention in an article a couple weeks after he got here that he liked how Pittsburgh was crazy about hockey but still allowed him to go about his daily life. Kind of a mix between a huge hockey city and a poor hockey city.

likea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 10:07 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by likea View Post
a bitter Atlanta fan asked and I sent him to the link.
I didn't even want to resign Hossa, look at the Finals this year for example. Two star wingers won't get you far even if you make the playoffs. The Thrashers have far better uses for the $$ Hossa is going to get, like C and D.

Hossa said all the right things in the media before he left Atlanta, and he is doing the same thing in Pitt. What he actually does, might be something different.

In January:

http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/sha..._i_hope_i.html

"Now the latest coming from the rumor mill is that Marian Hossa told Don Waddell under no uncertain terms that he won’t be signing with the Thrashers and will be testing free agency. Don Waddell confirmed this afternoon that discussions are still ongoing with Hossa’s agent Ritch Winter and here’s what Marian told me when we discussed contract and trade talks today: “The agent is still working on a deal with Don, hopefully we can work out the best of it. I hope I can stay. But obviously we know there are two choices, stay or going away. I’m preparing for both choices. The priority is I would like to stay here.”

Late May:

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sp...nals_0523.html

The Thrashers would love to have him back, but is that realistic?

"We all agreed we would revisit that," Hossa's agent, Ritch Winter, said. "The chances of him coming back to an organization that doesn't immediately have a chance to be an elite team — that's going to be challenging. [Along with] hiring the right coach, there's enough players in free agency that dramatic change could occur."

So who is the right coach?

"If [Thrashers associate coach] Brad McCrimmon was there, [Hossa's] level of interest of returning to Atlanta would be higher [than] if he wasn't there. And he's told them that."

So if he wanted more money he would have stayed in Atlanta...which is where he wanted to be in January...and he has his agent giving coach hiring advice just weeks ago. Dizzy yet? You will be soon enough.

btn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 10:08 PM
likea

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotshot26 View Post
No, but a superstar that never got to pick what team he wanted to play for might. Your argument is like me saying I think Jeff Carter will sign for cheap in Philly because he was recently quoted saying he wants to stay here. The only way Hossa stays in Pitt is a long term deal w/ a very slight paycut (at the expense of either Malkin or Staal ) or a one term deal. Both are very unlikely because as allready mentioned, Boston is going to throw the kitchen sink at him.
again, Hossa plans to have talks with pittsburgh before boston can throw the sink at him. he states it in the interview. he expects talks to start soon. he even states he wants to talk to Ray to see where the team is headed and then try to work out a deal. it seems like he wants to win more than hit the kitchen sink.

Old
06-06-2008, 10:09 PM
Freudian
Deja vu again?

vCash: 228
Thing is that players when they say stuff like this, they mean taking slightly less money. And keeping a team together means players taking significantly less money.

I do not see him giving the Pens enough of a discount for them to keep him (somewhere around $5M or whatever).

I am sure he want to play on a good team though, but he has the power to choose now.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 10:10 PM
Laoghaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn View Post
And maybe he wanted to pick where he wants to play, after being traded days after signing a 3 year deal with the Senators.

I agree he wants to be on a winner, the Pens are far from the only winning team out there...and there are many winning teams that have better salary cap situations over the next 5-6 years.
Days after signing with the Sens? It was minutes. As soon as the deal was finalized Muckler already had the Heatley deal in place and the only thing pending was Hossa signing a contract.

Laoghaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 10:13 PM
likea

Quote:
I didn't even want to resign Hossa, look at the Finals this year for example. Two star wingers won't get you far even if you make the playoffs. The Thrashers have far better uses for the $$ Hossa is going to get, like C and D.

Hossa said all the right things in the media before he left Atlanta, and he is doing the same thing in Pitt. What he actually does, might be something different.

In January:

http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/sha..._i_hope_i.html

"Now the latest coming from the rumor mill is that Marian Hossa told Don Waddell under no uncertain terms that he won’t be signing with the Thrashers and will be testing free agency. Don Waddell confirmed this afternoon that discussions are still ongoing with Hossa’s agent Ritch Winter and here’s what Marian told me when we discussed contract and trade talks today: “The agent is still working on a deal with Don, hopefully we can work out the best of it. I hope I can stay. But obviously we know there are two choices, stay or going away. I’m preparing for both choices. The priority is I would like to stay here.”

Late May:

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sp...nals_0523.html

The Thrashers would love to have him back, but is that realistic?

"We all agreed we would revisit that," Hossa's agent, Ritch Winter, said. "The chances of him coming back to an organization that doesn't immediately have a chance to be an elite team — that's going to be challenging. [Along with] hiring the right coach, there's enough players in free agency that dramatic change could occur."

So who is the right coach?

"If [Thrashers associate coach] Brad McCrimmon was there, [Hossa's] level of interest of returning to Atlanta would be higher [than] if he wasn't there. And he's told them that."

So if he wanted more money he would have stayed in Atlanta...which is where he wanted to be in January...and he has his agent giving coach hiring advice just weeks ago. Dizzy yet? You will be soon enough.

did you read what his agent said in may. his agent even says he wants to win. he wants to go to an elite team. maybe a team that finished second in the whole entire NHL...that sounds elite. I always heard he met with the Gm and the atlanta Gm said they were not willing to spend to the cap to improve, which still looks to be the case. Hossa wants to win, can't fault a guy for wanting to win.

Old
06-06-2008, 10:13 PM
66-29-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
Thing is that players when they say stuff like this, they mean taking slightly less money. And keeping a team together means players taking significantly less money.

I do not see him giving the Pens enough of a discount for them to keep him (somewhere around $5M or whatever).

I am sure he want to play on a good team though, but he has the power to choose now.
Who said pens are giving him 5M or around there? he will be 8M or 7.5 at the LEAST! for us to keep him.

Old
06-06-2008, 10:14 PM
likea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post

they don't need him to take 5 million. 7-7.5 would be just fine. even 8 could work.

Old
06-06-2008, 10:14 PM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
And maybe he wanted to pick where he wants to play, after being traded days after signing a 3 year deal with the Senators.

I agree he wants to be on a winner, the Pens are far from the only winning team out there...and there are many winning teams that have better salary cap situations over the next 5-6 years.
How many winning teams can offer Sid as your center.... oh, guess that would be one.

They have cap "issues" not "problems".

Issues are where you have a tough choice to make, but the strength of your team is hardly compromised. If they were smart (IMO) they would try and sign Hossa, Malone, and Orpik, and deal Malkin for missing pieces. Or they can sign Hossa and one of Malone/Orpik, keep Malkin and trade Staal. The key here is their UFAs want to return. The players posing the cap issue then are some of their most marketable assets (Staal, Malkin).

Problems are what the Leafs have. When you see your 50th Jason Blake proposal on HF boards that day, thats when you realize a team has problems.

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 10:16 PM
66-29-33

Also Orpik said there are players willing to take paycuts to stay with the team, i'll get a link if anyone wants one.

Old
06-06-2008, 10:16 PM
SomeDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldshot View Post
As for the guy that said "imagine HF boards if the Penguins got to resign all of their players..."

Ok, no problem, say goodbye to Geno and possibly Staal.

With that, you didn't take into account the fact that Malkin's and Staal's entry level contracts end after next season. Sign Hossa, Malone, Orpik, and Fleury.

Goligoski, Talbot, and Kennedy are also up for RFA status next year as well.

You want to sign those guys? Go right ahead and let everyone else poach Malkin and Staal from you.

You'll get the four first rounders for Malkin if you don't trade him before hand, but Staal won't fetch that kind of package.

Poor asset management at it's finest... and I thought the Islanders and Devils were bad...
Yes, the huge salary demands of Maxime Talbot, Tyler Kennedy, and Alex Goligoski will strongly hamper the Penguins chances of keeping Staal and Malkin.

SomeDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 10:21 PM
GetPucksDeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extradited View Post
He reiterates numerous times how he wants to stay in Pittsburgh, but is worried about the Salary cap. If they can figure it out, he's as good as gold to stay in Pittsburgh.

"I LOVE IT HERE!"
That's what he said about Atlanta.

btn accurately represents the status of his negotiations before he left Atlanta.

I think Hossa will get to choose between playing where he wants for 8m per or going to the highest bidder for close to 9. If you guys can make that work, go for it.

In my fantasy land, I dream he returns to Atlanta because he really wants to be centered by Esposito in two years.

GetPucksDeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 10:23 PM
FruityPants3*

I love how the bolding stops at BUT

FruityPants3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 10:31 PM
66-29-33

Quote:
Also Orpik said there are players willing to take paycuts to stay with the team, i'll get a link if anyone wants one.
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=522362

Post number 15, and 20.

Old
06-06-2008, 10:41 PM
Firebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian28 View Post
And Pens fans wonder why some are getting a bad name. A mod asked you to prove a statement b/c YOU didn't provide a link. That's how you treat people who ask you to provide documented evidence of your statements?
He gave a link.

If you used your brain cells and followed the instructions he provided, you could read that link yourself.

Firebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 11:14 PM
yohan1212

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extradited View Post
he has played his last game as a penguin. get over it..

yohan1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 11:23 PM
yohan1212

Quote:
great link! quoting another message board is very realiable stuff..

Old
06-06-2008, 11:28 PM
shureshot66
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by yohan1212 View Post
he has played his last game as a penguin. get over it..
more than likely, yes. it's just unrealistic to expect him to turn down an extra $5-10 million dollars (or more) over the course of what will certainly be a long-term deal.

i think there's a pretty wide range of cash per year that he could end up taking, but anything shorter than five years with an NMC would shock me. this is his time to cash in when his stock is high after a great playoff run... he's not going to take a short-team deal and risk getting injured and ending up with significantly less in the long run.

shureshot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 11:33 PM
yohan1212

Quote:
Originally Posted by shureshot66 View Post
more than likely, yes. it's just unrealistic to expect him to turn down an extra $5-10 million dollars (or more) over the course of what will certainly be a long-term deal.

i think there's a pretty wide range of cash per year that he could end up taking, but anything shorter than five years with an NMC would shock me. this is his time to cash in when his stock is high after a great playoff run... he's not going to take a short-team deal and risk getting injured and ending up with significantly less in the long run.
I am a boston fan and i really hope boston does not sign him at $9 million a year which is what he will probably get. I'd rather have 2 players making around 4-5 rather than hossa at 9!

Old
06-06-2008, 11:52 PM
fizban

Three things that irritate me to no end.
1) people who jump on the Burgh simply because their perception of the situation is that Pitt=TB, which doesn't mesh well with reality.
2) people who automatically assume that Hossa is just saying what he says to be nice or "classy".
3)Yinzers that think he'll sign for 5 million a year just to play on Crosby's wing.

fizban is offline   Reply With Quote