HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumor: Shanny back in Blue...as a coach?

Old
06-04-2008, 12:15 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey2000nyr View Post
if shanny doesnt sign to play anywhere then id say we stick him down in hartford as a coach, let him gain some experience as a coach and the young guys down there will get another coach with a lot of valuable experience and knowledge of the game, only furthering the quality of development down there. we have ken gernander, jj daigneault down there we had ulf sammuelsson a few years ago. and if he doesnt want to do that then maybe have him come in to specifically work with the young guys at the Camps and stuff. im sure guys like greg moore and hugh jessiman would definetly benefit from working with shanny
shanny can teach jessiman to fight and stand in front of the net. and to have the guts to fight the gutless brashear

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 12:23 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey2000nyr View Post
if shanny doesnt sign to play anywhere then id say we stick him down in hartford as a coach, let him gain some experience as a coach and the young guys down there will get another coach with a lot of valuable experience and knowledge of the game, only furthering the quality of development down there. we have ken gernander, jj daigneault down there we had ulf sammuelsson a few years ago. and if he doesnt want to do that then maybe have him come in to specifically work with the young guys at the Camps and stuff. im sure guys like greg moore and hugh jessiman would definetly benefit from working with shanny
Hartford has a coach. And I don't see Shanahan being so keen about moving to Hartford.

06-04-2008, 01:54 PM
Fletch

Shanny already did...

the Hartford thing...

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 02:07 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
the Hartford thing...

Ta-dum-dum!

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 04:35 PM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

perry pearn for shanny sounds likea good trade

poeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 06:32 PM
mhurley

Wow, I pray to God this happens.

Shanny is waaaaay better looking in a suit then a hockey jersey. He can also reign in Avery if we re-sign him. I am sure he'll take the job if offered. He must have enough sense to know it's time to hang them up. Shanny could get that powerplay to work fer sure.

He can kill time Assistant Coaching with the Rangers until a spot on 6th Ave opens up, especially Commissioner.

mhurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 08:01 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by poeman View Post
perry pearn for shanny sounds likea good trade
If Shanny should be given a job for beeing a soft talker it should be Dave Malone's job -- I don't want him anywhere near the X and O board.

He's 38 y/o, he is a 700 goal scorer -- and he comes in and takes a responsibility for the PP. He says that this is how we should play, never give up a shot et c. Its the opposite of how every other successful PP in this league works, but Shanny sets the tone. Clearly runs over JJ. And it fails misserably. He couldn't have performed worse.

Its exactly like when 29 other teams in this league trapped in the late 90's, and Messier wanted it to be done like how it was done pre 1995.

Its not 1974, its not 1984, its not 1994 -- putting Brendan Shanahan behind the bench would be a extreme misstake. He have shown no capacity what so ever to understand whats succesful today in Hockey.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 09:04 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Hartford has a coach. And I don't see Shanahan being so keen about moving to Hartford.
He could commute.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 09:07 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
If Shanny should be given a job for beeing a soft talker it should be Dave Malone's job -- I don't want him anywhere near the X and O board.

He's 38 y/o, he is a 700 goal scorer -- .
When did Shanny score the 50 goals needed to achieve 700? On ur x-box?

Old
06-04-2008, 09:59 PM
Fletch

Maybe this leadership thingy...

has some legs...it's interesting to hear Osgood, who just won the Stanley Cup and who played oustanding to help his team win, mention Shanny as an influence (and Yzerman). But heck, he's talking about a guy with whom he played a while back. I think that's big and brings a more tangible feeling to something that's intangible.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 10:52 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

The Rangers would be crazy to name Shanny an assistant coach. The Rangers would be crazy to fire Perry Pearn..(the other side of special teams is penatly kill...where are the complaints about that?) Pearn deserves..scratch that EARNED another year on what the penalty kill did all season...

Back to the topic if Shanny wants to go to Hartford for a year or two and learn behind the bench then it might make sense in the future but not right now.

It's time to move on from Shanny...

Last edited by Son of Steinbrenner: 06-04-2008 at 10:59 PM.
Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 08:50 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
has some legs...it's interesting to hear Osgood, who just won the Stanley Cup and who played oustanding to help his team win, mention Shanny as an influence (and Yzerman). But heck, he's talking about a guy with whom he played a while back. I think that's big and brings a more tangible feeling to something that's intangible.
I would defenitly rather bring back Shanny as a player then as a coach... Seriously, I am not that against bringing him back as a full time 4th lineer.

But at a time like this -- when there basically is a race to modernize your game the fastest, its defenitly a bad move to bring in a coach who thinks playing the game like it was played in 1974 is the best way.

Shanny is a tremendous leader. But to start with, its a diffrent thing to be a leader behind the bench then on the ice. And he would be hired as a coach, not a shrink...

Old
06-05-2008, 08:28 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Some man-crushes are just too hard to shake.

Yeah, I'm still trying to put together my Shanahan-Messier-Amonte line.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 12:39 AM
Draft Guru
The Wizard of Özil

Shanny at 2 million a year as a 3rd line player who gets most of his time on the PP is something I will not pass up if he's willing to agree to such terms.

Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 12:46 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guru View Post
Shanny at 2 million a year as a 3rd line player who gets most of his time on the PP is something I will not pass up if he's willing to agree to such terms.
One problem though is that Drury as a center, also basically needs someone who covers for him... Chris don't cover that much ice. Like I can't see a Dawes-Drury-Shanny line work at all.

But lets say we had like a Korpi-Anisimov line, Shanny would defenitly be a good fit as a RW on that line.

Old
06-06-2008, 10:55 AM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Pern is a finalist for the Florida job, according to The Sun-Sentinel:

Quote:
New York Rangers assistant coach Perry Pearn appears to be one of the finalists. Martin revealed Thursday he has gotten permission from the Rangers to speak with Pearn, who was his top assistant in Ottawa for eight seasons.
This could be the opening to offer Shanny a coaching gig.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 11:00 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
ill pass on that one as well....2 million is to much for a player who cant skate anymore....he was just horrible at the end of the year.......i would rather give his spot to korpikoski or give more time to players like callahan and sjostrom...it is passed his time on this team...it needs to get faster and younger and he is neither

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 11:01 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
If Shanny to the 3rd line, means Callahan gets a shot next to Gomez as his RW, I could live with that.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 12:59 AM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
That's fine by me.

Old
06-07-2008, 01:48 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
That's fine by me.
Not me..

with a system filled with 3rd line players doesn't it make CAP sense not to pay a 3rd line player 2 million dollars a year? Consider the fact that our third line center (Drury) is going to make 7 million dollars a year. 9 million for two players on the 3rd line? YIKES!!

I'm not so sure Callahan is more then a 3rd line player..

Old
06-07-2008, 03:50 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
Pern is a finalist for the Florida job, according to The Sun-Sentinel:

This could be the opening to offer Shanny a coaching gig.
My bet is that it will go to that Pitts ass coach...

Old
06-07-2008, 04:19 AM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
Not me..

with a system filled with 3rd line players doesn't it make CAP sense not to pay a 3rd line player 2 million dollars a year? Consider the fact that our third line center (Drury) is going to make 7 million dollars a year. 9 million for two players on the 3rd line? YIKES!!

I'm not so sure Callahan is more then a 3rd line player..
well my answer to that is Drury is playing 3rd line center & is making $5mill per yr.

Old
06-07-2008, 06:53 AM
Chris 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
If Shanny to the 3rd line, means Callahan gets a shot next to Gomez as his RW, I could live with that.
If Cally gets moved up a line I think we're gonna struggle. I don't think he has what it takes. Hopefully he makes me eat my words...

Chris 84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 01:10 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

If Pearn goes to Florida, I could see Shanahan on the bench. In a suit. I could also see him play like 40 more games as a player/coach, filling in for injuries and scratches. (Who was the last player to do that?) If he isn't playing as much, he could be much fresher and not getting fresh legs from him was our biggest problem. Kind of like when Straka plays injured. They mean well but overall it hurts the team and doesn't help to improve their condition. Shanny still has a good shot. He just doesn't get open as much because his feet aren't moving!

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 11:27 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
well my answer to that is Drury is playing 3rd line center & is making $5mill per yr.
Chris Drury is counts as a little more than 7 million towards the cap...

I just don't see the room or the point of having Shanny for another season.