HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chris Higgins, where is the love?

Old
06-06-2008, 08:52 PM
Fire Brunet*

vCash: 500
The guy scored 27 goals last year come on...

Fire Brunet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 08:58 PM
anarmandaleb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
You don't think he'd push Dupuis for icetime ?
You know what, it never occurred to me to think of it that way.
Thanks mcphee, you've made me even more of a Higgins stalker.

anarmandaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 09:04 PM
Templeton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
Higgins would be a perfect 3rd liner for an extremely talented and deep team.
Bah, Mike Richards would be good on the 3rd line too.

Higgins can have 2 or 3 seasons like that and suddenly, he will have some very good seasons. He will be more mature and will become a very good all around player. Give his some time ... I think that with the experience, he will be able to have a better finish around the net.

Last edited by Templeton: 06-06-2008 at 09:15 PM.
Templeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 09:17 PM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
As much as I give Higgins a hard time for his offensive explosiveness followed by 20 games without a goal, this fact is the end of the conversation:

Most forwards hit their prime at the age of 27 to 31

Higgins is already a 27 goal scorer and multiple post-hitter at the age of 24 (25 as of a couple days ago)

The best is yet to come

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 10:20 PM
ari1160

hes a great 2 way player. its not always about scoring goals and points.

ari1160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 10:49 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMailloux View Post
He reminds me of Jan Bulis. Lots of talent but definetly not a sniper..
I'm glad you qualified your post by saying he says lots of talent but your comparison of Higgins with Jan Bulis seems unfair.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 10:54 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
Higgins would be a perfect 3rd liner for an extremely talented and deep team.
Which, of course, the Habs are not. Nor are 90% of NHL teams. Still, even on a team that has as many talented forwards as the Penguins, he'd have a good chance of playing on the 2nd line. I'm sure having Malkin as a linemate would add to his scoring totals.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 01:04 AM
Serenade

Everyone raving about how great Akos has been this year. While Higgins didnt have a great year blah blah blah.... this year, one point separates the two, one.

Higgins: G:27 A:25 PTS: 52 GP: 82
AKos: G:25 A:28 PTS: 53 GP: 78

Yeah, I know Higgins played more games, but still lets put things into perspective. If Higgins has some highlight reel finishes, I bet his "book value" would go up...

Serenade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 01:12 AM
le_sean

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenade View Post
Everyone raving about how great Akos has been this year. While Higgins didnt have a great year blah blah blah.... this year, one point separates the two, one.

Higgins: G:27 A:25 PTS: 52 GP: 82
AKos: G:25 A:28 PTS: 53 GP: 78

Yeah, I know Higgins played more games, but still lets put things into perspective. If Higgins has some highlight reel finishes, I bet his "book value" would go up...
I guess this being Andrei's first full season as a Hab has nothing to do with that...

le_sean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 02:25 AM
Erika

Chris Higgins is nothing more than an okay 2nd liner/ Great 3rd liner.

His stone hands and his lack of offensive vision will always handicap his productions.

Enough Said....

Ohhh... and Sergei Kostitsyn >> Christopher Higgins

teach:

Last edited by Beakermania*: 06-07-2008 at 09:15 AM.
Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 05:39 AM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusher20 View Post
Guys i am taking some minutes here to analyse Chris Potential.. i think some people overlook him, dont write him off as a strong producer in the future, he has improved year after year. You know the caracter, he wont collapse, what ever happened with him this year.. going through a rough emotional challenge, through injuries or through normal slumps in life.. dont expect the guy to believe he already finnished his progression.. the difference between being a consistant scorer and not are simple, could be talent, but can also be technical, to tell me all scorers in the league are just talented is false in a way. Chris is intelligent and he could improve technics and how to position himself just a little and make a big difference.. I dont think he is another Bulis, as Bulis was a player always look at others for his issues.. the Opposite of Christopher.

2003 - 2004
2 - 0 - 0 - 0 PPG 0.000

2004 - 2005 lockout
AHL 76 - 28 - 23 - 51

2005 - 2006
80 - 23 - 15 - 38 PPG 0.475

2006 - 2007
61 - 22 - 16 - 38 PPG 0.623

2007-2008
82 - 27 - 25 - 52 PPG 0.634

So every year he improved his ppg, ok last year was not phenomenal, but how many players experience difficult a year (Kovalev is quite a good exemple).. i fully expect Higgy to have a very strong year and i am sure he will regroup again with Komisarek and analyse what went wrong and could have gone better this season, I read they did that in the past.. he is still young only 25 years old. I am very excited for next year. please stop talking about him being a 3th liner cause he will do anything to show you he deserves to be in the first line, and thats the attitude we need on our club.

Go HABS Go !!

My prediction for next year,
82 - 29 - 33 - 62

Ok joke aside,

I think the fans here want to see every players performing at their true potential, for Higgins this potential is still much higher than what he showed on the ice. It's only a matter of time imo, players like Higgins who don't have all the talent in the world but play with their head and physical abilities often take more time to figure out the small details for good production. No worries, he will do it in time. But, all that being said, at one point in time he might become more valuable on the trade market than on our team(if he doesnt play closer to his potential), particularly if Paccioretty develops very well.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 08:36 AM
Dark4ng3l

Oh please do you guys remember the Higgins we had at the beginning of the 06-07 season before he got hurt? He was fantastic. Injuries have slowed him down and yet he still manages to improve his stats. Higgins is a good player and he should stay on our team for a long time. Even if he tops off at 60 points with 30 goals that is enough offense to make him a first line player.

The problem here is that people look around and they see a bunch of players they would love to have that are much superior to Higgins. For example Hossa, Kovalchuk and Ovechkin are much better players than Higgins. What they don't look at is that after the top 10 or 15 or so the quality of player goes down fast. A guy who is 50% as good as Ovechkin will still be a first line player.

Dark4ng3l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 08:55 AM
Belso

Look at my avatar. Enough said

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 08:59 AM
Anksun

Send a message via ICQ to Anksun
We saw plenty of people calling for Carbo's head because he wasnt playing a 30 goals scorer in Ryder this year, that his lack of defense shouldnt count against him because he's a sniper and he can score.

Yet we have been harsh on Higgins because of his lack of offense this year, yet he did score 27, a big fat 3 goals under Ryder's best season...

I though he would hit 35-40 last year but injuries and inconsistency slow him down a bit. And with Kovalev rebound season, Kostitsyn and Plekanec making breakout season, it's not like Higgins had as much quality icetime.

If Higgins can chip in 25-30 goals a season on the 2nd line. We got ourself a hell of an offensive team.

Anksun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 09:57 AM
DrMailloux

Quote:
Originally Posted by emb24 View Post
i freakin' hate that comparison it's idiotic and intellectually dishonest. bulis scored 20 goals once in his 9 year NHL career; higgins has done it for three straight years to start his career. higgins wears an A and has tons more leadership, jam and work ethic than bulis EVER had.
Im not saying both are playing exactly the same way or has the same talent, all im saying is they both have no aiming skills and im not sure if it is something that can be learned.

DrMailloux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 09:58 AM
CanadienErrant*

Get the "A" of his jersey, and let him concentrate on his on-ice play instead of his off-ice PR duties with the media.

This guy has talent...Not first line, superstar talent, but good enough for 65-70 points on a second line..

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 10:01 AM
emb24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMailloux View Post
Im not saying both are playing exactly the same way or has the same talent, all im saying is they both have no aiming skills and im not sure if it is something that can be learned.
yeah, 27 goals and no 'aiming skills' that makes a lot of sense. what you should be saying is, as the kid matures and refines his game, he will pot those missed chances and maybe become an even better goal scorer - say 35 per year. but comparing him to bulis is just plain dumb

emb24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 10:04 AM
redmachine54

Meh. If he capitalized on half the chances he had, he might have about 35 goals. Considering this was an off year for all three of Higgins, Koivu, and Ryder, consistent line-mates since the later-half of '06 to early this season, I can't complain.

I might be a bit more unforgiving if he was in his mid-thirties, but he's only 25. If he doesn't learn anything in the next few years, maybe then I'll worry.

redmachine54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 10:15 AM
DrMailloux

Quote:
Originally Posted by emb24 View Post
yeah, 27 goals and no 'aiming skills' that makes a lot of sense. what you should be saying is, as the kid matures and refines his game, he will pot those missed chances and maybe become an even better goal scorer - say 35 per year. but comparing him to bulis is just plain dumb
There you see, you saw the missed chances too... for me, missed chances reminds me of Bulis that made a career out of it... If you have a poblem with it, its prolly because you think i meant something else than i really meant because right now, at his age, the only negative point i have for higgins is that he gotta work his aiming... thats all...

Last edited by Beakermania*: 06-07-2008 at 11:32 AM.
DrMailloux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 10:25 AM
Kachino
@kachino82

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kachino82 View Post
Exaclty, how many posts before someone compares Sergei Kostitsyn to Chris Higgins?

Hint: Whenever Erika Kostitsyn shows up...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika Kostitsyn View Post

His stone hands and his lack of offensive vision will always handicap his productions.

Enough Said....

teach:
Well it only took 61 posts...

Kachino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 12:33 PM
Templeton

Quote:
Enough Said....
teach:

Last edited by Beakermania*: 06-07-2008 at 12:44 PM.
Templeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 01:19 PM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talent Analyst View Post
You... FAIL.
+ 1000000!

Last time I checked he was in the top-30 scoring LWers.

Bad Natey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 01:31 PM
Lone Rogue

I Chris Higgins

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 01:32 PM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:

Enough Said....

teach:
we didn't miss you

and he is top30 in left Wingers in points i think

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 01:33 PM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
Get the "A" of his jersey, and let him concentrate on his on-ice play instead of his off-ice PR duties with the media.

This guy has talent...Not first line, superstar talent, but good enough for 65-70 points on a second line..
Take the "A" off his jersey and make him concentrate on the media asking him questions for the first three months of the season why he lost his "A" and have the media start accusing him of being a locker room cancer?

12 Left wingers this year put up 65 or more points and only 6 put up more than 70... so if he puts up 65-70 points a year in the future I think he is first line material, but that's just me.

Andrighetto Fabolous is offline   Reply With Quote