HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

LeNeveu

Old
06-07-2008, 12:14 AM
trickster

vCash: 500
LeNeveu

Does LeNeveu have any shot at backing up Lundqvist next year? He did pretty well in the AHL after the trade if the numbers are any indication...

Sort of surprising.

trickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 12:23 AM
NYReign

I can't imagine that Valiquette does not get re-signed, so I don't think there's much of a chance. That fact really makes me question the trade because Montoya was one of our better trading chips (or so I thought) and even if his value was down, I'm disappointed we only got an AHL goon (Gratton) and a 3rd goaltending option that seemed like a downgrade from Montoya imo for him. I'd be especially upset if it's indeed true that we had a deal Hossa-Sjostrom worked out. However, hopefully the name LeNeveu never needs to be too important to the Rangers and is just a reliable depth guy.

NYReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 12:43 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

LeNeveu is a UFA on July 1st so we'll have to see if the Rangers even attempt to sign him first.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 12:50 AM
Richter35

i could see a team in need of a quality backup offering valley more than we can afford, thus opening up a spot for leneveu, but the question would be does he think he can be a #1 in the league? He knows hank is the man for the next 6 years, he may want to move to an org where it looks like he can actually challenge for that #1 job.

Richter35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 01:57 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Leneveu is good depth but he might be inclined to shop around for a shot at a back role before resigning with the Rangers.

Valiquette who i didn't want last year might not want to come back to a team he's only going to play 65 to 70 games for. I think Valiquette might want to shop himself around to a team that has a starter that is going to play less.

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 11:03 AM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
I'd rather wiikman back up lundqvist, what better way to motivate the swede than having a Fin waiting behind him for a shot

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 12:29 PM
Vitto79

Goaltending is deep......hence whey alot of net minders went over seas.........Grahme just did cause he likely would not have a job in the NHL.......Robert Esche should come back this yr...............guys like Conklin snuck back in.......Phoenix has Abeschier and the Boston backup who slipped my toungue

What I am getting at is Valliquette who is a career minor leaguer will not be high on anyones list..........he did a good job in NY and I am fine with him back BUT that is because he is cheap and Lundqvist rules

Leveneau is 3rd right now on the depth chart and 4th if Vali comes in with Wikman the logical choice

Also I believe the Liv rumors from Sweden cause he is a Swede and played with Henrik at the Worlds and throughout his International career

I think Montoya eventually is the backup in Phoenix but not this yr

I still like the deal cause Hossa is a UFA and stinks and Sjostrom is better

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 12:51 PM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
Leveneau is 3rd right now on the depth chart and 4th if Vali comes in with Wikman the logical choice
Assuming he and Valli resign, LeNeveu is 3rd on the depth chart, Wiikman is 4th. Wiikman is a very talented goalie, but his technique could use some seasoning. He gets by on athleticism and instinct (and sheer competetiveness) but needs to improve in core areas like positioning and rebound control. He'll have a better opportunity to do that playing games in Hartford than he will sitting on the bench in NY.

LeNeveu is far more technically sound than Wiikman, and I'd say, even Montoya was. Wiikman may have the higher ceiling, but LeNeveu's better suited for a backup role right now.

Regardless, I think Valliquette will be back and LeNeveu (if signed) and Wiikman will battle it out in Hartford.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 01:13 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

he better not be our back-up next season... I'd be nervous as hell about Lundqvist getting injured and our season going down the drain.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 01:20 PM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
he better not be our back-up next season... I'd be nervous as hell about Lundqvist getting injured and our season going down the drain.
you act like we'd be fine with valley or wiikman as our #1 goalie. this statement is pointless. if lundqvist gets hurt we are screwed, end of story. it doesn't matter who the backup is cause the backup won't be 1/10000000000000th as good as lundqvist

NYR469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 01:22 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469 View Post
you act like we'd be fine with valley or wiikman as our #1 goalie. this statement is pointless. if lundqvist gets hurt we are screwed, end of story. it doesn't matter who the backup is cause the backup won't be 1/10000000000000th as good as lundqvist
I'll take Valiquette in net over an unproven AHL Goaltender any day of the week.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 07:15 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
Goaltending is deep......hence whey alot of net minders went over seas.........Grahme just did cause he likely would not have a job in the NHL.......Robert Esche should come back this yr...............guys like Conklin snuck back in.......Phoenix has Abeschier and the Boston backup who slipped my toungue

What I am getting at is Valliquette who is a career minor leaguer will not be high on anyones list..........he did a good job in NY and I am fine with him back BUT that is because he is cheap and Lundqvist rules

Also I believe the Liv rumors from Sweden cause he is a Swede and played with Henrik at the Worlds and throughout his International career

I think Montoya eventually is the backup in Phoenix but not this yr

I still like the deal cause Hossa is a UFA and stinks and Sjostrom is better
Valiquette may be a career minor leaguer, but he did play in Russia during the lockout and did very well. A European team offering him a contract might be the one way the Rangers risk losing him. Don't think it will happen, but he's not completely unknown there.

Old
06-07-2008, 07:17 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiDubiDoo View Post
I'd rather wiikman back up lundqvist, what better way to motivate the swede than having a Fin waiting behind him for a shot
Too bad Wiikman was born in Sweden.

Old
06-07-2008, 07:32 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Vally will be back if avery isn't and he wont be if avery is re-signed

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 07:35 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblegumGang184434 View Post
Vally will be back if avery isn't and he wont be if avery is re-signed
Over the stick waving spat? Doubtful. I think both will be back. If not, say hello to Wade Dubielwicz (spelling?)

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 10:03 AM
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
LeNeveu is a UFA on July 1st so we'll have to see if the Rangers even attempt to sign him first.
they will sign him, and imo a one year deal for valley, and then either wiiki or dave back him up the year after.

is holt gone this year? anybody know?

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 10:37 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiDubiDoo View Post
Lundqvist needs to be motivated?

06-09-2008, 10:41 AM
darrenturcotte#8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYReign View Post
I can't imagine that Valiquette does not get re-signed, so I don't think there's much of a chance. That fact really makes me question the trade because Montoya was one of our better trading chips (or so I thought) and even if his value was down, I'm disappointed we only got an AHL goon (Gratton) and a 3rd goaltending option that seemed like a downgrade from Montoya imo for him. I'd be especially upset if it's indeed true that we had a deal Hossa-Sjostrom worked out. However, hopefully the name LeNeveu never needs to be too important to the Rangers and is just a reliable depth guy.
Montoya hasn't been a trading chip for over a year. Once its established that you aren't likely to be a top 10 goaltender you are basically worthless. He lost his confidence here and needed a change of scenery. LeNeveu was at one time highly touted as well and at this point has the same upside (or lack there of) that Montoya has. A change of scenery was good for both players...

darrenturcotte#8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 04:50 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
they will sign him, and imo a one year deal for valley, and then either wiiki or dave back him up the year after.

is holt gone this year? anybody know?
\

Everyone here thought re-signing LaBarbera was a done deal too. Guess LA didn't get that memo.

I won't assume anything until the contracts are actually signed.

And as for Holt? Who cares? He can't even stick in the AHL as a backup.

Old
06-12-2008, 12:55 PM
pelts35.com

I think that LeNeveu would consider signing here for less money so that he can continue to work with Benoit Allaire.

LeNeveu under Allaire's guide can absolutely be an NHL goaltender.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 03:55 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
I think that LeNeveu would consider signing here for less money so that he can continue to work with Benoit Allaire.

LeNeveu under Allaire's guide can absolutely be an NHL goaltender.
There are other goaltending coaches out there who I'm sure do very well too--I can't imagine Allaire is the only one to have success. And LeNeveu has only a few more years to make it into the NHL--the situation here is not promising for him, he'll be lucky to get any starts next season and there no guarantees he'll improve enough to be entrusted with the backup role the year after next. Plus, this may very well be the last NHL contract he signs, so he has to consider the long term implications of "taking less" very carefully.

Old
06-13-2008, 07:35 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
There are other goaltending coaches out there who I'm sure do very well too--I can't imagine Allaire is the only one to have success. And LeNeveu has only a few more years to make it into the NHL--the situation here is not promising for him, he'll be lucky to get any starts next season and there no guarantees he'll improve enough to be entrusted with the backup role the year after next. Plus, this may very well be the last NHL contract he signs, so he has to consider the long term implications of "taking less" very carefully.
Yes, there are a lot of other goaltending coaches out there, but LeNeveu worked with Allaire in his rookie season in the Coyotes organization and ever since Allaire "left" the Coyotes, LeNeveu's game has not progressed and maybe even regressed (especially given the horrendous teams that he played behind).

I can tell you first hand that the month or so that Allaire spent in Springfield with LeNeveu in his rookie season that he looked like a completely different goaltender (Jean-Marc Pelletier's best season also was when Allaire worked with him as well). Further, David's play in Hartford with just a few weeks with Allaire was noticeably better than it was in San Antonio. Give him one more year with Allaire and I think that he might live up to the hype that was expected out of him when he was drafted out of Cornell.

This said depending on the offers out there, LeNeveu may settle to stay with the Rangers organization to continue to work with Allaire. Worst case scenario is that he plays a lot in Hartford, works with Allaire, improves his game, and is traded by the deadline or turns some heads within the organization and pushes Lundqvist.

BTW, you mention that LeNeveu only has a few more years to make it in the NHL, don't forget that it took Valiquette nearly 10 years to play a full season at the NHL level and next season will only be LeNeveu's 6th.

Last edited by pelts35.com: 06-13-2008 at 09:48 AM.
pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote