HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > Mock Drafts
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Mock Drafts Mock drafts for fun and fantasy here.

nyrfan444's 2008 DETAILED Top 60 Mock Draft (2 Rounds)

Old
06-07-2008, 03:17 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

vCash: 500
nyrfan444's 2008 DETAILED Top 60 Mock Draft (2 Rounds)

Here's my 2008 mock. Please comment, critique, and praise as you see fit. I put a good deal of time into it. So without further ado...

ENJOY!

Round 1

1. TB – Steve Stamkos, C Sarnia (OHL): Do I really need to explain this one? Stamkos has franchise potential written all over him, and Richards’ departure coupled with the fact that Tampa is already marketing Steve makes this virtually a lock.

2. LA – Zach Bogosian, D Peterborough (OHL): Bogosian vs. Doughty is a tough call for Lombardi, but Bogo’s all around game makes him the BPA and ultimately seals the deal. His versatility and mean streak set him apart.

3. ATL – Drew Doughty, D Guelph (OHL): Atlanta will almost surely take whatever defenseman LA passes over on draft day, and in either situation they are getting a player who can potentially be a #1 guy. Doughty’s offensive instincts and decision making will make him a star in the NHL and a fixture on Atlanta’s PP.

4. STL – Luke Schenn, D Kelowna (WHL): JD and crew were really hoping Lombardi would go off the board so that either Bogosian or Doughty would fall into their laps, but I don’t foresee that happening. In this scenario, the Blues pick up a guy who is a defensive stalwart in Schenn, a player who will be the anchor of a shutdown pair or a great partner for EJ.

5. NYI – Nikita Filatov, C/W CSKA-2 (Russia): Garth Snow breathes a sigh of relief as the guy he has targeted all along and who the Islanders have ranked as the second best player in the draft makes it to pick 5. Filatov’s talent is certainly up there with that of Stamkos, but it is Filatov’s enthusiasm for playing in N.A. and worldly maturity that convince the Islanders that he is the player for them. The media will have a field day with a “Filatov-Cherepanov cross town rivalry”…

6. CBJ – Alex Piertrangelo, D Niagara (OHL): Columbus will almost certainly choose a defenseman if they stay at pick #6, and in this scenario Piertrangelo is an ideal candidate. Alex’s poise, decision making, and instincts make him almost a near lock to make the NHL – the only question is where his potential will top out.

7. TOR – Mikkel Boedker, LW Kitchner (OHL): I think there is a very good chance Boedker could go as high as pick #4, especially after his impressive performance at the Memorial Cup. Toronto eagerly makes Boedker there selection, as he gives them a tremendous talent with world-class speed and skill.

8. PHX – Tyler Myers, D Kelowna (WHL): I think it’s safe to say that Phoenix will NOT draft a center here with the talent they have in their pipeline (Mueller-Turris-Hanzal), so they will opt for the best available W/D who at this point is Tyler Myers. I would not be surprised if on draft day they tried to move up into the top 6 to draft one of Filatov/Schenn/Piertrangelo instead.

9. NAS – Cody Hodgson, C Brampton (OHL): Nashville will in all likelihood be looking to draft a forward here, and Hodgson is the BPA on their board. Cody is immensely skilled, with a shiftiness that is hard to characterize. His leadership qualities and strength of character seal the deal on the Predators’ selection.

10. VAN – Zach Boychuk, C Lethbridge (WHL): If Myers is still available here I think he would be a very tempting option for the Canucks, but in this situation I see them opting for Boychuk who is an extremely skilled center with fantastic quickness and vision. Vancouver’s offense left a lot to be desired this season, and a player like Boychuk could be just what they need to build around going forward.

11. CHI – Colin Wilson, C Boston University (NCAA): Colin Wilson is a player who doesn’t necessarily jump out at you as one oozing with skill, but upon closer inspection shines through as a tremendous two-way center with underrated playmaking skills. His hockey sense and combine performance has scouts raving, so I would not be surprised if he cracked the top-10 on draft day. Colin will make for an excellent #2 behind Toews in Chicago.

12. ANA – Kyle Beach, C/W Everett (WHL): I think it is pretty apparent that Brian Burke has a “style” of player he likes to draft, and Kyle Beach certainly fits that mold. Head issues (concussions, not attitude) could cause this feisty sniper/power forward to drop, but I just don’t see how Burke can pass on a player with such a tremendous upside, especially given the strength of Anaheim’s current team/prospect pool.

13. BUF – Luca Sbisa, D Lethbridge (WHL): Sbisa is the BPA on Buffalo’s board here, and in my opinion represents a fantastic fit for their current NHL/prospect defense corps. Luca is incredibly poised, has fantastic hockey sense, and is also a smooth (deceivingly quick) skater. Sbisa will be a steady performer in the NHL.

14. CAR – Michael Del Zotto, D Oshawa (OHL): Del Zotto is a player who would have been a near-lock for the top-5 had the draft been held last November. His skating is world class, and his vision/playmaking skills are arguably the best for a defenseman in this draft class. Knocks on his defensive game have caused him to drop, but his skill level is undeniable. I firmly believe that whoever picks Del Zotto will look back on their selection fondly in 3-4 years.

15. NAS – Mattias Tedenby, C/W HV71 (SWE): Tedenby is the best pure talent still on the board, so Nashville adds them to their prospect cupboard with pick 15. Mattias has amazingly soft, quick hands and elite finishing ability. His skating is also an asset, drawing comparisons to Saku Koivu. It will be interesting to see how Tedenby develops in the future, but he undeniably has the potential to be a first line forward in the NHL.

16. BOS – Joe Colborne, C/W Camrose (AJHL): This was an extremely tough pick to predict, as I can see the Bruins going in a lot of different directions. Ultimately, I think that the B’s will nab Colborne, a prospect that seems to be a love/hate guy when it comes to scouts and fans. Colborne has NHL hands and finishing ability, great vision, and a reach that oozes with potential. He will be going to Denver U this Fall, a great hockey program, where he will pack on a few pounds and develop his game.

17. CGY – Josh Bailey, C Windsor (OHL): Bailey is a player who is regarded to be a very “safe” prospect among scouts. He has a strong work ethic and great playmaking abilities. He is a pretty clear BPA at this point, and IMO would be a great fit on the Flames. I could easily see Bailey cracking the top-15 this year, depending on a team’s preferences.

18. OTT – Colten Teubert, D Regina (WHL): Teubert is a big, bruising defender who is also a deceptively strong skater. Teubert is an absolute monster in the defensive zone, and always willing and able to stand up for his teammates. Colten will almost certainly make the NHL, however it is unclear whether or not he will be a 2-3 guy or a 4-5 guy. A very similar prospect to Nick Petrecki.

19. CBJ – Zac Dalpe, C Penticton (BCHL): Similar to Kyle Turris last year and Joe Colborne this year, Dalpe is another late-rising Tier II player. After taking a solid prospect at 6 with Piertrangelo, Columbus can afford to take a bit of a gamble with Dalpe – a prospect with a very high ceiling. Zac’s quick release and well-rounded game make the potential return worth the risk.

20. NYR – John Carlson, D Indiana (USHL): Carlson is another prospect that has seen his stock rise greatly post-combine, and as such I would not be surprised at all to see him crack the top 15 or even the top 10. Carlson is a well rounded defenseman who is able to both play physical and run the PP. If he is on the board, the Rangers would be foolish to pass on him, despite their needs up front.

21. NJD – Anton Gustafsson, C Frolunda Jr. (Swe. Jr.): Gustafsson IMO just really feels like a Lamorillo pick. He’s not overly hyped, but possesses some of the best passing/playmaking skills in the entire draft. Gustafsson is strong on the puck and doesn’t shy away from playing defense. He’ll be a great fit in NJ.

22. EDM – Jordan Eberle, C Regina (WHL): Eberle is one of Kevin Lowe’s beloved “western kids” who is an elusive sniper with great hands and a true nose for the net. Occasionally, Eberle can appear too uninvolved or ineffective, but then he’ll make a quick decisive play to pot a quick goal. He should become more consistent with experience and would look great on a line with Sam Gagner.

23. WAS – Greg Nemisz, C Windsor (OHL): Nemisz is a big bodied center who at worst projects to be a bottom six grinder at the NHL level. Washington decides to take the chance that Nemisz can put it all together to be a low-slot top-6 power forward at the NHL level. Greg is great at being the “big man” on the PP and the Caps think he could turn into their Tomas Holmstrom or Ryan Malone.

24. MIN – Colby Robak, D Brandon (WHL): The Wild are pleasantly surprised that Colby Robak is still on the board when their selection rolls around, as he is exactly the type of player they are targeting. Robak is an extremely solid, if unspectacular defender in the WHL – and his defensive poise and consistency is more than welcome in Minnesota as the maddeningly inconsistent play of the Wild’s defense really hurt them in the 2008 playoffs (I’m looking at you Mr. Hill, Skoula, and Johnson).

25. MTL – Jake Gardiner, D Minnetonka (Minn. HS): Montreal opting for an NCAA-bound American in the first round? Shocking, I know ;-). Gardiner is a great value at 25, as his skating and general offensive ability is top-notch. Gardiner will be attending the University of Wisconsin this Fall, where he will continue to build on his transition from forward to defense. Wisco is a fantastic NCAA program when it comes to developing talent.

26. BUF – Tyler Ennis, C/W Medicine Hat (WHL): It is this writers opinion that whoever drafts Tyler Ennis may have the steal of the day on their hands. Ennis possesses pure skill that trails only a select few in this year’s draft crop. Tyler can flat out fly, and has the hands and finishing ability to put pucks in the net when the opportunity arises. His size may be an issue for some teams, but it doesn’t scare Buffalo.

27. PHI – Aaron Ness, D Roseau (Minn. HS): Ness is another Minnesotan defender whose game is just as capable in the front end as it is in the back end. To sum things up – the kid can fly, and has terrific playmaking ability/vision for his age level. The Flyers are more than willing to let Ness stew for a few years at “The U” before signing him to see what they’ve got.

28. LA – James Livingston, W SSM (OHL): Livingston is a big, banging power forward who is rising up some lists quite quickly. He’s got a great scoring touch and his skating ability is also fairly underrated. He will be a great fit on LA’s 2nd or 3rd line in the near future.

29. ATL – Nicolas Deschamps, C Chicoutimi (QMJHL): With their last pick in the top-60, the Thrashers opt for Deschamps, a hard-working player who has seen his stock continually rise throughout the season. Nic is a fantastic playmaker and has great hands, making him a fine addition to Atlanta’s stable.

30. DET – Evgeny Grachev, C Yaroslavl (Russia): I think it’s pretty evident that Detroit doesn’t have a ton of holes to fill, so they opt for the BPA who by all estimations is Grachev here. Evgeny is a playmaking power forward, who can beat defenders inside or out. It should be interesting to see how he develops.

Round 2

31. NAS – Jamie Arniel, C Sarnia (OHL): After taking two smaller forwards (Hodgson and Tedenby) in the first, the Preds opt for Arniel here, a huge center that they hope will fill a similar role as Jamie Arnott does currently.

32. LA – David Toews, C/W Shattuck St. Mary’s (US Prep): BPA here, a fairly safe pick with some upside thanks to his scorers touch. Good speed, the Kings are hoping the Toews bloodlines are strong.

33. STL – Mitch Wahl, C Spokane (WHL): The Blues were impressed by Wahl’s strong play at the Memorial Cup and hope that he can build from it to become an NHL playmaker.

34. STL – Shaun Lalonde, D Belleville (OHL): Another Mem. Cup guy, Lalonde is a smooth skating defender who is a steady contributor. The Blues’ back end is looking much improved with the addition of Lalonde and Schenn.

35. PHX – Matt Calvert, C/W Brandon (WHL): A small, speedy forward, Calvert has substantial upside and will flourish next to one of the Coyotes’ young centers.

36. NYI – Jyri Niemi, D Saskatoon (WHL): Good skater, plays the body, great shot from the point. He needs to develop his skating a little more but he should be a great fir for the Islanders.

37. CBJ - Corey Trivino, C Stouffville (OPJRA): Certainly could go higher on draft day, has great vision. Top-6 or bust, needs to bulk up.

38. PHX – Cody Goloubef, D University of Wisconsin (NCAA): Youngest player in the NCAA’s, plays an effective all around game. Will be a #3/4 guy in the NHL.

39. PHX – AJ Jenks, LW Plymouth (OHL): Potential top 6 PF, potential bottom-6 banger – but a good one. Underrated skating, very quick stick.

40. FLA – Chet Pickard, G Tri-City (WHL): Florida could go in many different directions with this pick but Pickard is a great value here.

41. VAN – Tyler Cuma, D Ottawa (OHL): Can’t pass on Cuma here, he is a safe bet to make the show. Solid skating and decision making, he slips because of the depth of this class.

42. OTT – Thomas McCollum, G Guelph (OHL): Ottawa will almost certainly be drafting a goalie at some point during draft weekend, and if McCollum is still around here he is a good value.

43. ANA – Eric O’Dell, C Sudbury (OHL): Another potential steal, this kid is a treat to watch. Could be top-20 material if he played in the OHL all year. Potential “replacement” for Andy MacDonald down the line.

44. BUF – Maxime Sauve, C Val D’Or (QMJHL): He has first round potential and is a nice snag for Buffalo here. Great skater/stickhandler. NHL skillset.

45. CAR – Kruise Reddick, C Tri-City (WHL): Speed and smarts define Reddick. He’s slightly undersized but he doesn’t play like it. Very aggressive, plays with passion.

46. NAS – Erik Karlsson, D Frolunda Jr. (Swe. Jr.): Great vision, especially on the PP. Best defenseman available to complement Nashville’s earlier picks.

47. BOS – Yann Sauve, D Saint John (QMJHL): Big hitter, solid mobility. Needs to mature and gain experience to make better decisions. Great pick at 47, potential steal.

48. LA – Adam Comrie, D Saginaw (OHL): Comrie is another late riser, he’s a huge blueliner who can skate and move the puck. Great fit for the Kings.

49. PHX – Daultan Leveille, C St. Catherine’s (GHL): Great skater, tremendously skilled. I would not be surprised if he was taken off the board much earlier.

50. COL – Danny Kristo, C/W USNTDP: Speedy winger, excellent release on his wrist shot. Pure sniper. Should develop well at UND.

51. NYR – Justin Jokenin, C/W Colquet (Minn. HS): A slight reach here, Jokenin has the potential to be a top-6 guy in the NHL. Great skating and shot. Needs to bulk up.

52. NJD – Cory Fienhange, D Eastview High (Minn. HS): NJ lost out on Carlson in Rd. 1 but Fienhange helps them forget. Has a mean streak, should develop well in college.

53. NYI – Jared Staal, W Sudbury (OHL): Probably will go sooner based on bloodlines, but shouldn’t based on talent. Yet another Staal brother in the Atlantic division.

54. WAS – Kirill Petrov, W Kazan (RSL): Petrov is unquestionably the most talented wing on the board. Will he come to NA? I’m not sure, but if anyone can convince him it’s AO.

55. MIN – James Wright, C Vancouver (WHL): Underrated center not afraid of the rough stuff. A big kid that should develop as he fills in.

56. MTL – Mikhail Stefanovich, Quebec (QMJHL): First rounder talent-wise, some question his motivation. I think he’ll turn it around.

57. WAS – Danick Paquette, W Lewiston (QMJHL): High energy player. Hits like a freight train. Active every shift, and a great kid off the ice. Perfect on the Cap’s 3rd line.

58. WAS – Brandon Burlon, D St. Michael’s (OPJRA): Great mobility and composure. Will be a good fit in Washington’s system.

59. DAL - Jacob Markstrom, G Brynas (Swe. Jr.): Some peg him as the best G in the draft, and a potential first rounder. He can take his time developing behind Turco.

60. TOR – Michael Stone, D Calgary (WHL): Plays a pro game. I wouldn’t be shocked if he slipped into the first. Fantastic value for Toronto here.

61. LA – Derek Grant, C Langley (BCHL): Grant is flying under the radar, but I like his game. Great hands and speed for a bigger guy.

06-07-2008, 03:45 PM
NYR Viper

i love the rangers first pick, but the second with staal still on the board might be a stretch, staal is a big winger, something the rangers need

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 04:23 PM
Sean Garrity
Shut up and Dance!

very good first pick for the ducks, in the 2nd if yann sauve is there, i believe there is no way they pass him up. Their D is getting older, and only really have Salcido and Mitera looking like they could be solid NHLers...

Sean Garrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 05:52 PM
gameface

With the players available, I personally would be happier if the Canucks chose Wilson over Boychuk. Cuma is a great pick up in the second round. I think it's an accurate statement that a guy like him may fall because of the depth. I'd also be happy with either of the Sauves or Staal at that point.

Great effort!

gameface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 06:02 PM
S2S
Come at me bros

I think if the Hawks end up with Wilson, their fans will spill all over their pants.

S2S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 06:05 PM
Kearns
Bo Knows Hockey

Great detail in this mock draft - nice effort. From a Canucks point of view, I sure hope we get a chance to take Boedker, Wilson, or Hodgson. If they're off the board, I would take Boychuk.

Cuma is a great pick for us in the second round. I see Karlsson's still on the board at that point too. He may be a very good pick for someone.

Tranfer issues may not stop Voinov from finding his way into the top two rounds. With Petrov's upside, I wouldn't mind the Canucks tried to hit a home run with him at #41, but I think he'll be off the board by then.

Overall, very nice mock draft.

Kearns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 06:14 PM
Kesler Kills Kommies

there is no way vancouver should not take wilson given the opportunity.

Kesler Kills Kommies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 06:50 PM
oreilly22

Really just my opinion, but I would rather have the Preds pick Wilson than Hodgson. Why oh why couldn't Wilson have played in the OHL to make it easier on all of us? Americans can play in the OHL too, it's not like we'll disown you or anything.

oreilly22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 07:44 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Good job. I hope it doesn't turn out this way, only because I want Gustafsson to fall to the Caps and 23 and Comrie to fall to them somewhere in the 2nd.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 09:01 PM
Hockey2000nyr

im actually hoping that Colten Teubert falls to 20 and the rangers grab him. the rangers need a big young bruising defenseman like him but thats just me hoping

Hockey2000nyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 09:23 PM
DevilsFan38

Very nice job - I enjoy getting to read two round mocks, especially with comments for all 60 picks!

I'm not too sure what to think from a Devils POV. I could see Lamoriello picking Gustafsson in the first, but it's not what I want, I'd rather see a guy with more offensive upside (ie Eberle). I don't know anything about Fienhange, so I can't comment on that pick.

You actually have the Rangers taking two players I would love right before the Devils picks - Carlson and Jokinen

DevilsFan38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 09:29 PM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

I appreciate the amount of work you have done here. Nice job.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 10:36 PM
Langway
Flow➜Grow

vCash: 50
Pretty well thought out. Markstrom seems really low, though.

Washington is weakest up the middle so perhaps they look towards another center (like Grant) in the second round but Petrov and Paquette make sense. Burlon would be a good value pick at that point as well.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 12:50 AM
WangMustGo
NYI

vCash: 3178
Looks pretty good, although i can't see Petrov drop that far down. I see Petrov going between 25-35 area. Good job though.

WangMustGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 02:27 AM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
I love your 2nd round pick for Montreal. I'd love for him to get him.

I'd be pretty mad if Montreal took yet another defenseman. What are they suppose to do with all of them? haha

I'd think a team with no future in nets, like Philly would take Pickard early, or might think Biron/Nitty can last longer and wait till next year to grab a goalie, but it's effy, but good work, especially the 2nd, because I have limited knowledge on those guys, but look pretty stealer to me, or maybe it's because Montreal got Stefanovich.

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 09:32 AM
Breakaway23*

Good list NYR!

Toronto's consensus picks have changed a lot in a 6 month span. At first I was set on Hodgson, then Myers. But now, I agree the guy should be Boedker.

If LA does not take Bogosian, over Doughty they'll still land a good player, but I don't think the right kind of guy. Bogo has really climbed up the charts, and being coached by Bourque is hard to look over.

Breakaway23* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 12:41 PM
Fat Elvis

Don't you think Livingston at 28 is a bit of a reach for LA? He'd still be on the board @ 32 IMO and possibly at #48. Tough to say I guess. Good mock though.

Fat Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 01:02 PM
NJD1982

I will cry if the Rangers get Carlson before the Devils do.

NJD1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 03:05 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Nice job, buddy!

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 11:54 AM
topshelf20

Nice job. Just one thing on the Wild. They would choose Ness or Gardiner over Robak.

Since Nemisz is gone, they look for one of those two.

topshelf20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 06:24 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by topshelf20 View Post
Nice job. Just one thing on the Wild. They would choose Ness or Gardiner over Robak.

Since Nemisz is gone, they look for one of those two.
The only reason I had them taking Robak is that he is more of a steady, stay at home guy which they seem to lack. They already have a young PP QB in Burns so I figured that selecting Ness or Gardiner would just be making a (relatively) risky pick to fill a position they already have filled.

HatTrick Swayze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 07:25 PM
Kesler Kills Kommies

IMO, i think Vancouver needs center more than anything, so if i will take Wilson and Jokinen in the first two round. like i said before beach is too much of a risk to be taken that high. Vancouver has so much busted players that they just simply couldnt **** it up anymore with this one.

Kesler Kills Kommies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 12:01 AM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Nice job on the mock. I don't like some of the Kings picks, but the rationale is there. Thanks for the effort!

King'sPawn is offline   Reply With Quote