HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Mike Green

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-07-2008, 01:15 PM
  #1
HunterSThompson
Registered User
 
HunterSThompson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 1,828
vCash: 500
Mike Green

What is the value of Mike Green on the trade market before July 1st?

Because of all of this talk about him not signing and waiting for offer sheets, I want to see what people think he could fetch in a trade before the deadline.

HunterSThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 01:49 PM
  #2
93xxGilmourxx93
 
93xxGilmourxx93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 151
vCash: 500
Anyone know what kind of deal Washington offered him?

93xxGilmourxx93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 02:08 PM
  #3
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!
 
brs03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 12,216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93xxGilmourxx93 View Post
Anyone know what kind of deal Washington offered him?
With the way GMGM is, you'll probably never know what he's been offered.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 03:46 PM
  #4
Trxjw
Retired.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 16,484
vCash: 500
I can't imagine Washington wouldn't match just about any offersheet for him.

I'm not sure what kind of position the Caps are in with NHL ready d-men, but I'd imagine Green would be a hard hole to fill.

As for trades, I'd say a top 4 D-man, top six forward, upper-mid level prospect / decent pick?

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 05:12 PM
  #5
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!
 
brs03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 12,216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I can't imagine Washington wouldn't match just about any offersheet for him.

I'm not sure what kind of position the Caps are in with NHL ready d-men, but I'd imagine Green would be a hard hole to fill.

As for trades, I'd say a top 4 D-man, top six forward, upper-mid level prospect / decent pick?
Green could be replaced as far as the roster goes (Alzner and Lepisto could both easily make the team next year), and his offense would probably be made up for with Nylander, Clark, and Semin (hopefully) staying healthy, and maybe Poti picking up his offensive game. Of course you don't want to lose Green, but he's not Ovechkin, not the centerpiece of the team, so if some team wants to offer him Phaneuf money then I don't think the Caps match (GMGM sounds pretty serious that he doesn't want to overpay).

I think some people are overestimating the offers that would be sent Green's way, or at least the offers he'd accept (because I think he genuinely does want to stay in Washington, he's got to know what a sweet deal he has here) but then again you never know.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 05:48 PM
  #6
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional
 
s7ark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,709
vCash: 500
I make you this promise as an Oilers fan. If our GM offersheets Green away for 6M+, we will happily replace him in a Pitkanen+ for Semin trade

Seriously though, Green's stock is through the roof. So I can understand why he wants to wait for RFA season and see what gets lobbed his way. Therefore, any trade for Green would have to involve a pre-agreed upon contract, that would be high enough to convince Green to not go RFA.

So long story short, his trade value is high, but the number of teams that can afford to add a 6M+ D-man isn't. That will limit his possible suitors. So you would still get something very nice in return(sorry, I don't know your team needs that well), but likely not the sun and the moon.

I'd highly suggest the Caps just match anything approaching reasonable, and worry about making room to fit him in. Not that Caps fan really need to be told this, but Green is a guy you really want to keep.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 05:49 PM
  #7
Transported Upstater
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Take care, all. :)
Country: United States
Posts: 22,983
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
I make you this promise as an Oilers fan. If our GM offersheets Green away for 6M+, we will happily replace him in a Pitkanen+ for Semin trade
Oh wow, how generous of you!

Transported Upstater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 07:43 PM
  #8
KenAF
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 1,421
vCash: 500
I think the 'problem' for Green's value has just had one good season. Yes, it was his first full season in the NHL, but it was also his contract year. How do teams know whether Green will continue to play with the same tenacity once he has the comfort of a 5-6 year deal @ $5.5-6.0 M/yr?

Phaneuf showed consistent, but steadily improving stats for almost three years before he got his $6.66M/yr deal.

I think Green would be valued much higher if he had performed as well for two years, including a non-contract year. Still though, I think he might fetch a top 5 pick this year if a team was looking for an offensive defenseman.

KenAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 08:11 PM
  #9
TheKingPin
Registered User
 
TheKingPin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,904
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenAF View Post
I think the 'problem' for Green's value has just had one good season. Yes, it was his first full season in the NHL, but it was also his contract year. How do teams know whether Green will continue to play with the same tenacity once he has the comfort of a 5-6 year deal @ $5.5-6.0 M/yr?

Phaneuf showed consistent, but steadily improving stats for almost three years before he got his $6.66M/yr deal.

I think Green would be valued much higher if he had performed as well for two years, including a non-contract year. Still though, I think he might fetch a top 5 pick this year if a team was looking for an offensive defenseman.
Yea ang Green should know this, he cant ask for more that 4mill. Realistically anyway.

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 08:30 PM
  #10
AgentNaslund*
 
AgentNaslund*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,576
vCash: 500
we trade you Edler for him.

AgentNaslund* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 12:34 AM
  #11
Joey13
Registered User
 
Joey13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Denver, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 438
vCash: 500
He has amazing skill from the blueline and will lead the NHL in D-Man scoring next year. He is worth a ton!

Joey13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 01:01 AM
  #12
heusy_79
9 - 20 - 8
 
heusy_79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,050
vCash: 500
I hadn't seen him play much at all until the WC, and I loved his game. What a talent, he's the kind of guy you don't trade unless it's a gross overpayment. As for a dollar value, if I were the Caps I would be happy if I could get him locked up at somewhere around $30-$35mil over 6 years. He's just going to keep getting better.

heusy_79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 01:31 AM
  #13
LennyV
 
LennyV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Göteborg
Country: Sweden
Posts: 783
vCash: 500
He's been great this season and was awesome at times during the WC (not as good as Burns) but still, it's just one season and next year will be crucial. He will not be able to fly under the radar anymore, every team will be on the lookout for him and that gonna make it tougher for him to produce points. If he scores 15+ goals again I will be really impressed...

LennyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 02:10 AM
  #14
shanthony
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Toronto, Ont
Country: Canada
Posts: 488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LennyV View Post
He's been great this season and was awesome at times during the WC (not as good as Burns) but still, it's just one season and next year will be crucial. He will not be able to fly under the radar anymore, every team will be on the lookout for him and that gonna make it tougher for him to produce points. If he scores 15+ goals again I will be really impressed...
When you see powerplay time with Ovechkin, Semin, Backstrom and you have the hands, shot and elusiveness of Green I dont see how he cant score that many goals. Hes just way too gifted offensively to not score 15 goals a year with those guys feeding him the puck.

shanthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 07:48 AM
  #15
voxel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 10,828
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom2Ovechkin View Post
What is the value of Mike Green on the trade market before July 1st?

Because of all of this talk about him not signing and waiting for offer sheets, I want to see what people think he could fetch in a trade before the deadline.
Maybe top-5 pick because even tho Doughty/Bogosian/etc. might turn out better you HAVE Mike Green in your lineup who can provide offense now.

As for a roster player - Ryan Suter + 2nd... Corey Perry? You'd probably want a young player back. You won't get a superstar forward (ala Getzlaf or Nash) but a nice 1st/2nd liner.

voxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 10:20 AM
  #16
Beukeboom Fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 11,530
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanthony View Post
When you see powerplay time with Ovechkin, Semin, Backstrom and you have the hands, shot and elusiveness of Green I dont see how he cant score that many goals. Hes just way too gifted offensively to not score 15 goals a year with those guys feeding him the puck.
I think this is a great point. Over the last couple years McCabe scored a bunch of goals on the PP based on a great slapshot, but that shot was taken away if a team overplays on the point. From the games I saw, Green got many of his goals by being aggressive in the offensive zone, and it will be much more difficult for a PK'er to overplay on Green's shot because that allows him stickhandle and penetrate, and it opens more room for AO & company.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 12:40 PM
  #17
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!
 
brs03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 12,216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
I think this is a great point. Over the last couple years McCabe scored a bunch of goals on the PP based on a great slapshot, but that shot was taken away if a team overplays on the point. From the games I saw, Green got many of his goals by being aggressive in the offensive zone, and it will be much more difficult for a PK'er to overplay on Green's shot because that allows him stickhandle and penetrate, and it opens more room for AO & company.
Green's not just a shot from the point, so yeah, he's got a good chance of adapting to another team's pressure and still creating offense. His skating is his best asset, not his shot, so he'll probably do more off the rush than on the PP, which is a big part of his upside (he could still produce at this level, maybe, even if less penalties are called as time goes on because he's still strong at ES).

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 06:54 PM
  #18
Burty34
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 43
vCash: 500
A puck moving defenseman with the hands and wheels that Green has, I am sure a lot of teams will go out of there way to get him. IMO he is capable of producing the same offensive numbers as he had this year anywhere, and if he were to stay with the Caps he will improve those stats with the likes of AO, Semin (RFA?...might get a full purse thrown at him), Federov? (I think he will take less to stay), Nylander and company. Defensively, he should only get better as well. Bottom line...there are very few like him!

Burty34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 06:58 PM
  #19
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!
 
brs03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 12,216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burty34 View Post
A puck moving defenseman with the hands and wheels that Green has, I am sure a lot of teams will go out of there way to get him. IMO he is capable of producing the same offensive numbers as he had this year anywhere, and if he were to stay with the Caps he will improve those stats with the likes of AO, Semin (RFA?...might get a full purse thrown at him), Federov? (I think he will take less to stay), Nylander and company. Defensively, he should only get better as well. Bottom line...there are very few like him!
Semin's not an RFA, if that's what you meant, he signed in October or November for two more years (~4.6 cap hit?)

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:02 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.