HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Straka debating retirement

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-06-2008, 02:00 PM
  #26
HockeyBasedNYC
Registered User
 
HockeyBasedNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Here
Country: United States
Posts: 12,910
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DruMez View Post
No surprises here.. his decision probably hinges on Jagr's.



http://www.blueshirtbulletin.com/200...r-time-fo.html


Why does Straka's decision ALWAYS hinge on JAGRs?!

Can't he make his own decisions?!

This is EXACTLY why i dont want Straka OR JAGR signed.

Everyone defers to Jagr, on the powerplay, anywhere on the ice, and apparently off the ice too!

I love both of these guys... but this is one of the things that is wrong with this team.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 02:02 PM
  #27
DontStepanMe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Queens, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 5,381
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCallahan43 View Post
other than avery and dubinsky we have no skilled guys that fight. we dont want staal to fight cause he is a dman, but if staal has too, he can.
who cares about fighting? I don't understand why we are so worried if a guy can fight or not. Detroit doesn't really have many sluggers on the team. They just won the cup. We should model a team after them, not Philly. I could care less if the Rangers got into 1 fight the entire year, as long as we keep winning. People are putting way to much emphasis on fighting.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 02:17 PM
  #28
mattyd99
Registered User
 
mattyd99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Warwick, NY
Posts: 561
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469 View Post
sjostrom isn't replacing the straka of 2 years ago that scored 29 goals. but this past season straka scored 14 goals in 65 games, sjostrom scored 12 goals in 69 games. and straka got more quality ice time with better linemates...

now if you are banking on straka bouncing back to score 25 again thats different, but if you feel that straka is on the decline and 14-15 goals is what we'll likely get from him then i think sjostrom is very capable of getting that much or more if he gets regular time with drury and callahan.

but it really comes down to where you'd see straka in the lineup...if we are talking about lw on the #1 line with dubinsky and jagr, then no sjostrom doesn't measure up and we'd have to look outside the organization to replace him. but if we are talking about the 3rd line with drury and callahan then i'd be very ok with giving sjostrom a shot.
First things first Straka is not a goal scorer look at his numbers throughout his career, he has always been a playmaker first. Straka played hurt almost all of last year and still had more goals then Sjostrom. Now you can bring up the linemates but it just seems like no matter who Straka plays with he's gonna play good, and I'll bank money that'd he'd play good with Betts and Hollweg/Orr. I'm sorry but Sjostrom really showed nothing last year. He doesn't have a quarter of the playmaking ability that Straka does and is extremely inconsistent. There were many games he was unnoticeable and for all the talk about him being a great PK'er, I don't remember the game against Pittsburgh, but he was given the chance on the PK in a big chance late in the game and failed to clear the puck which led to a goal right after it which killed the game and helped Pitts. get out to a good lead in the series. And one more thing about him is why do people think he's so fast? He doesn't have a good initial quick burst and is only fast once he gets going, which in the new NHL doesn't necessarily mean you are lightning fast. I just see no way you can replace Straka with Sjostrom, maybe Korpikoski as he seems more of that kind of player and a ton more talented. I could be wrong but I see Sjostrom as an energy guy who brings a scoring touch to the 4th line.

mattyd99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 02:30 PM
  #29
Vitto79
Registered User
 
Vitto79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sarnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,487
vCash: 500
Straka has to be let go......not cause he still can't be effective , it's just time for a change at certain spots...............I say he should go to Washington and play with Nylander.........makes sense to me

he still can block shots and plays with heart.....best of luck!

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 02:42 PM
  #30
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26
 
Lion Hound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,701
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
who cares about fighting? I don't understand why we are so worried if a guy can fight or not. Detroit doesn't really have many sluggers on the team. They just won the cup. We should model a team after them, not Philly. I could care less if the Rangers got into 1 fight the entire year, as long as we keep winning. People are putting way to much emphasis on fighting.
I do...and think it totally has a place in the game. But...for the Rangers, I don't think there is a need for another fighter/brawler. As long as Orr is here, and hopefully Avery comes back there are a couple of guys on the club that can take care of that end.

I would however like to see a more physical forward in the top 6. I do think that is an area that is lacking.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 02:47 PM
  #31
DontStepanMe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Queens, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 5,381
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
I do...and think it totally has a place in the game. But...for the Rangers, I don't think there is a need for another fighter/brawler. As long as Orr is here, and hopefully Avery comes back there are a couple of guys on the club that can take care of that end.

I would however like to see a more physical forward in the top 6. I do think that is an area that is lacking.
It does have a place in the game but it is by no means a reason to overpay for a player, just because he can fight.

we do need a more physical forward, but Malone just isn't worth the $4-$5 mil he will get this offseason. He would be another cap killer for his 50 or so pts a season.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 03:52 PM
  #32
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,420
vCash: 500
i like marty, but its time to move on....he is always in great shape and he woul dbe getting a ton of minutes however i would rather give those minutes to a young player or split them up...give the pp time to dawes, the pk time to callahan and the regular time to korpikoski and you not only get most likely the same speed, but also give more experience to the players who will hopefully be the difference in the future....IMO, i wouldnt even be totally against jagr not being brought back as it would do the same thing...i think the main problem was the defense(defenseman) not the forwards

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 04:47 PM
  #33
Kendo
Registered User
 
Kendo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Hamburger Train.
Posts: 236
vCash: 500
The organization has an abundance of LWs.

Dawes
Prucha
Korpikoski
Byers
Hollweg

Without signing Sjostrom (RFA), Straka or Avery, that would be my depth chart.

Straka is pretty much finished in the NHL, though I appreciate the energy, effort and all-around disregard for his own safety that he brought to the team during his tenure. I don't know what Prucha's (or Renney's, not really sure) problem was this past season, but he should be the in-house promotion to replace Marty...especially if JJ stays.

Sjostrom is a big maybe in my book. Though he would make a better prototypical "3rd liner" than Prucha or Dawes, I doubt he can be nearly as good in an offensive role. Isn't Korpedo a fairly fast, fairly big, all-situation player with possibly limited offensive up-side as well? Though Korpikoski has a pretty high cap hit for a rookie, Sjostrom is due a minimum of $845K as a QO anyway, so why not promote from within yet again?

The afore mentioned quintet of LWs doesn't quite have success written all over it by any means, but that's where Avery, Malone or whoever comes in. In my opinion, Avery would provide what's missing with a more favorable salary and term than say a Malone would, and he would flat-out bring more to the table then next year's Straka.

That, while lacking jaw-dropping talent on the left side, would provide us a four-line team with a "top 9" as opposed to a "top 6." There's undeniable strength down the middle and one large vacancy to the right of Gomer.

Again, I appreciated his time spent here, but it's time for Marty to ride off into the sunset. He would have to make a 3/4 trip around the world to head west and end up in the CR, but still...

Kendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 10:53 PM
  #34
Son of Steinbrenner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Tromelin
Posts: 9,481
vCash: 500
I'd rather have Straka back then Shanny but it's time to move on from both players. The funny thing about Straka is once he was removed as the point man on the power play it tanked. I think his speed retrieving the puck, abilty to keep the puck in the zone, and point chemistry with Rozsival was missed for most of this season.

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 12:20 AM
  #35
NYReign
Registered User
 
NYReign's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New York, New York
Country: United States
Posts: 896
vCash: 500
Straka has been an integral part of the team since he's been here and a true warrior. However, it is time for somebody else to take his spot. I think the Sjostrom comparisons might be validated defensively and hopefully on the PK and I would be pleasantly surprised if he is close offensively (which unfortunately is not saying much because Straka was a disappointment offensively for me). As I just mentioned though, Straka's offense is a killer. Sure, he works well with Jags, but he can't hit an open net and passes up shots left and right. He was easily the most frustrating forward on the team last year imo which is incredible because of all the great work he put in in other areas.

On other points, I wouldn't put Malone in my plans because (1) it's unlikely he'd leave Pittsburgh and (2) if he did, the amount of money we'd need to give him couldn't possibly be worth it. I'd focus my free agent attention on FRBO (Future Ranger Brooks Orpik lol) and go from there.

With the possible removal of Straka I think we might need to consider going with a less traditional "first line" system. For instance, I would suggest using Avery in Straka's spot, but I wouldn't match up him, Dubie and Jagr with most first lines right now. I think we should stop firmly declaring Jags #1 and split up ice time a little more to keep everyone fresh. We don't have Ovechkin, but we have a lot of pieces to the scoring puzzle and more even ice time could prove dividends. With that in mind, I'd sign a legit sniper to replace Shanny (my sights are set on Rolston) and hope that is the last piece we need for a more competitive offense. We saw that our defense was not as hopeless as many figured it might be, but we found out against the Pens that we can't count on it as a stopper. If we have an offense that can take more pressure off the D, I think we will do well. Of course, it all hypothetically sounds great like it did last year but there will need to be a better transfer to the ice for it to work like it does in my dreams lol.

I'd be happy with:

Dawes-Gomez-Rolston/Huselius (as I said, I don't have a traditional first line but I'm interested to see what kind of offense Gomer can generate with an improving Dawes and a quicker, more reliable sniper than Old Man Shan)
Avery-Dubie-Jagr (worked fairly well last season, but I wouldn't pin all my hopes on them being able to score when we need a goal)
Sjo/Korp-Drury-Cally (ideally, a strong-ish defensive line which would chip in 25 from Drury and 15 from each winger)
Sjo/Korp-Betts-Orr/Byers (I'd use Orr only when it's necessary to have a fighter and I'm hoping Sjo and Korp are kind of interchangeable based on who's more offensively competent)

In my ideal plan, we would trade Tyutin and Prucha for Pitkanen and sign Orpik and Mara to improve the defense (Staal-Orpik, Pitkanen-Girardi, Mara-Hutchinson/Potter/Backman) but even if that doesn't happen we would have a decent 13th guy on offense in Prucha and the potential of Backman (if he can just man up a bit) as [hopefully] a 7th defenseman. We'll see how it all goes on July 1st, though.

NYReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 12:53 AM
  #36
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World
 
CM Lundqvist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 8,622
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyd99 View Post
First things first Straka is not a goal scorer look at his numbers throughout his career, he has always been a playmaker first. Straka played hurt almost all of last year and still had more goals then Sjostrom. Now you can bring up the linemates but it just seems like no matter who Straka plays with he's gonna play good, and I'll bank money that'd he'd play good with Betts and Hollweg/Orr. I'm sorry but Sjostrom really showed nothing last year. He doesn't have a quarter of the playmaking ability that Straka does and is extremely inconsistent. There were many games he was unnoticeable and for all the talk about him being a great PK'er, I don't remember the game against Pittsburgh, but he was given the chance on the PK in a big chance late in the game and failed to clear the puck which led to a goal right after it which killed the game and helped Pitts. get out to a good lead in the series. And one more thing about him is why do people think he's so fast? He doesn't have a good initial quick burst and is only fast once he gets going, which in the new NHL doesn't necessarily mean you are lightning fast. I just see no way you can replace Straka with Sjostrom, maybe Korpikoski as he seems more of that kind of player and a ton more talented. I could be wrong but I see Sjostrom as an energy guy who brings a scoring touch to the 4th line.
Comparing Straka to Sjostrom is ridiculous.

Straka played top pairing minutes all season, while Sjostrom was a 4th liner for most of the season, and Straka got regular power play time, while Sjostrom didn't.

Of course Straka is going to score more goals than Sjostrom, doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out.

*Edit: Straka just doesn't put up enough points anymore to offset the fact that he's just really not that good defensively, and isn't physical enough to win the battles down low and along the boards.

Sjostrom can win those battles, and that's what makes him a better bottom-6 player. Straka at this stage only serves well in a bottom 6 role, and he just can't do that. He's just not that type of player, therefore Sjostrom is the better solution to this problem.


Last edited by CM Lundqvist: 06-07-2008 at 12:55 AM. Reason: *
CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 12:54 AM
  #37
The Thomas J.*
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 18,847
vCash: 500
I will remember Straka as one of my all time Favorite Rangers, he played hard scored goals & setup alot of goals & was a leader, his hand injury really messed him up this season, he looked old & slow by mid April, his time has come & gone.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 03:06 AM
  #38
danno2530
 
danno2530's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,453
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
I've had absolutely nothing bad at all to say about Straka's career as a Ranger. He scored some big goals, played hard every shift and despite having injury issues for a few years before he came here (my main concern once we signed him), he missed very little time. Just the perfect team player.

With that said, if he chose to retire, I wouldn't have any problems with that honestly.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 10:20 AM
  #39
squishy
Registered User
 
squishy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,149
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldshot View Post
Straka just doesn't put up enough points anymore to offset the fact that he's just really not that good defensively, and isn't physical enough to win the battles down low and along the boards.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 03:38 PM
  #40
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,420
vCash: 500
like i said with shanny....straka has some good qualities as a player.....however, i think players like callahan, sjostrom, dawes, and korpikoski could replace their big minutes....dawes on the pp, sjostrom and korpikoski on the pk...something like this

pk

drury-korpikoski
gomez-callahan
sjostrom-betts

and on the pp:
avery-dubi-jagr
drury-gomez-dawes

i understand when people say their loss from this team however i truly believe that their production can be replaced, or surpassed by some of the younger players....the two players who the rangers cant replace from within next year are rozsival and jagr....and luckily redden is available as an UFA and jagr looks like he is coming back.......

now before everyone jumps on me about jagr, all im saying is it might be difficult for the rangers to replace shanny, straka and jagr all in one season...i would rather seperate the gap and let the young players grow slowly instead of being thrown into the fire

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 05:31 PM
  #41
Ranger35
Proud of NYR
 
Ranger35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Country: Israel
Posts: 3,461
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Ranger35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post

I like Marty a lot, but he's well into the backside of his career and ready for a performance drop-off of Shanahan proportions.
It's unfortunate because I really loved what Marty brought to the Rangers, he was a warrior and quite exemplary in his effort, but what you're saying sees to be the case. Looks like he'll probably move on from the NHL.

Ranger35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 06:00 PM
  #42
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh
 
Burlington Bomb 26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Green Mountain State
Country: United States
Posts: 16,615
vCash: 500
ill like to see him re-sign if the contract is below 1.5 and he plays 3rd line and it makes jagr's desicion ALOT easier

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 01:05 AM
  #43
Lundqvist102
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 745
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist102
Quote:
Originally Posted by danno2530 View Post
I've had absolutely nothing bad at all to say about Straka's career as a Ranger. He scored some big goals, played hard every shift and despite having injury issues for a few years before he came here (my main concern once we signed him), he missed very little time. Just the perfect team player.

With that said, if he chose to retire, I wouldn't have any problems with that honestly.
Yeah, I always think back to the Olympics (?) in 06 where Jagr got hit from behind by Ruutu and Straka FLEW at him.

Lundqvist102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 01:25 AM
  #44
NYReign
Registered User
 
NYReign's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New York, New York
Country: United States
Posts: 896
vCash: 500
I wouldn't always rush to think about signing players on the basis of "if they are 3rd/4th liners." We saw this year Renney was very reluctant to reduce Shanny's playing time (he did it twice which only proved to me that it needed to be done but that he was unable to bring himself to do it) so I don't see how we are guaranteeing that it won't just be the same next year.

I'm not sure if Straka has an effect on Jagr's decision but I wouldn't sign him for that reason. I am in favor of bringing Jagr back, but if anything it's a lateral move. So, while I'd be happy to see him back in blue, if the worst that can happen is we begin to move forward (even if there is a dip in productivity) I'm okay with that as well to move onto a new generation of this team. And while I think Jagr can still produce respectably it became clear that Straka hitting the net was a rarity. I will continue to appreciate the admirable work he put in for the team but that is one lateral move I would not make (that said, I'd be happier to bring Straka back than Shanny, he is finished compared to Straka being merely diminshed...)

NYReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 03:46 AM
  #45
BigE
Registered User
 
BigE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: San Francisco, CA
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,476
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
It's not as if Straka and Jagr teamed up to be an unstoppable offensive force this season, so I don't think one effects the other. Straka will likely accept any offer the Rangers give him in the unlikely event that they make one.

I like Marty a lot, but he's well into the backside of his career and ready for a performance drop-off of Shanahan proportions.
While he doesn't have the on-ice relationship with Jagr that Nylander had, I agree with the above poster in thinking that his decision will largely depend on whether Jagr returns.

They're good friends and enjoy playing together - it's the reason Marty signed here in the first place.

Personally, I'd be happy to see Jagr and Straka both gone. For as well as Jagr played last year in the playoffs, the chances of him playing like that for an entire year are pretty small.

The sooner we hand this team off to Gomer and Dru, the sooner we can complete this transition we've been working on for the last few years.

I tend to believe that Renney might be more successful as a coach without having to spend so much time with Jagr. With so many young guys on the roster, his attention is certainly required elsewhere.

I guess the downside is we lose Jagr's great influence on guys like Dubinsky (jeez...even I never thought I'd be able to say that).

BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 11:02 AM
  #46
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,420
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE View Post
While he doesn't have the on-ice relationship with Jagr that Nylander had, I agree with the above poster in thinking that his decision will largely depend on whether Jagr returns.

They're good friends and enjoy playing together - it's the reason Marty signed here in the first place.

Personally, I'd be happy to see Jagr and Straka both gone. For as well as Jagr played last year in the playoffs, the chances of him playing like that for an entire year are pretty small.

The sooner we hand this team off to Gomer and Dru, the sooner we can complete this transition we've been working on for the last few years.

I tend to believe that Renney might be more successful as a coach without having to spend so much time with Jagr. With so many young guys on the roster, his attention is certainly required elsewhere.

I guess the downside is we lose Jagr's great influence on guys like Dubinsky (jeez...even I never thought I'd be able to say that).
yea.....jagr i could take a for a year more at a time...make him earn his paychecks...straka though, IMO, would be a lateral move, like someone said...he would be taking time away from players like callahan and dubinsky and dawes and korpikoski who need it to become the players the rangers need them to become in order for them to be successful....

basically what it comes down to is this:

do i like straka?.....absolutely, the guy gave it 110% every shift of every game he played
do i think he cant play anymore?........no, i think if he chose to play somewhere in the nhl he could, however i think age is catching up to him as his hands arent what they used to be
do i think he is replaceable?......absolutely.....


its time to move on to a more in-your-face type of playing style....the rangers have been drafting and aquiring players like that for a years now and i think they need to finally switch over.....players like dubi, callahan, avery, byers, bourret etc. all like to forecheck hard and play the game hard, yet have skill to score some goals....that is the way the rangers should move as that is what their players thrive on...

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 01:59 PM
  #47
newyorkrangers11
 
newyorkrangers11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 156
vCash: 500
if Jags comes back, Straks will be too. I hate Straka for the record

newyorkrangers11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 02:57 AM
  #48
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World
 
CM Lundqvist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 8,622
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
Are you serious?

Straka is NOT great defensively. He may make a good play here or there, but he is not smart defensively, and is not a great defensive player.

The effort is almost always there with Straka, but he's just as good as some people think he is defensively.

He's not very physical either.

These are things you look for in a bottom-6 player, and Straka doesn't have these qualities, and I don't see his numbers getting any better playing without Jagr, in a bottom-6 role.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 01:47 PM
  #49
mattyd99
Registered User
 
mattyd99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Warwick, NY
Posts: 561
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldshot View Post
Are you serious?

Straka is NOT great defensively. He may make a good play here or there, but he is not smart defensively, and is not a great defensive player.

The effort is almost always there with Straka, but he's just as good as some people think he is defensively.

He's not very physical either.

These are things you look for in a bottom-6 player, and Straka doesn't have these qualities, and I don't see his numbers getting any better playing without Jagr, in a bottom-6 role.
Only the best back-checker on the team and for your comment with him along the boards, you might want to watch some video tape over the last 3 years and then tell me Straka can't win battles along the boards. A huge thing with cycling is winning battles along the boards. It's not coincidence that Jagr, being a player who loves to cycle, loves to have Straka on his line. And oh yeah he's one of the best PK'ers on this team with a team that is stacked with him.

mattyd99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 03:22 PM
  #50
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World
 
CM Lundqvist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 8,622
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyd99 View Post
Only the best back-checker on the team and for your comment with him along the boards, you might want to watch some video tape over the last 3 years and then tell me Straka can't win battles along the boards. A huge thing with cycling is winning battles along the boards. It's not coincidence that Jagr, being a player who loves to cycle, loves to have Straka on his line. And oh yeah he's one of the best PK'ers on this team with a team that is stacked with him.
The best back-checker on the team?

Hello? Chris Drury? Scott Gomez, was by far our best all-around player in the playoffs, and for most of the regular season. Dubinsky even does a better job defensively than Straka, and he was only a rookie. Blair Betts?

I'm not going to question Straka's effort, but his defensive smarts and abilities? Not even close to the best on the team.

One of the best pk'ers on the team? The best pk'er on the team hands down are either Drury, Betts, or Girardi.

I understand everyone loves Straka, I like the guy too, but that doesn't make him the best defensive player on the team.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:53 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.