HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blockbuster Deal/Signing Coming Up Or Draft As Usual?

Old
06-07-2008, 10:47 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 500
Blockbuster Deal/Signing Coming Up Or Draft As Usual?

Blockbuster Deal/Signing Coming Up or Draft As Usual?

Do you believe Gainey will deal off some assets to get a higher deal in the next entry draft?

Do you believe we will sign one or two UFA's wich could make such a deal a possibility? Say like signing Brooks Orpik for example and dealing Ryan O'Byrne to a team who needs size and speed on Defense?

Or will Gainey just draft his 5 players, have some St-Hubert chicken and coffee afterwards and go home quietly?

Discuss please.

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 10:49 PM
Dwight
The French Tickler

The latter

Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 10:55 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
Blockbuster Deal/Signing Coming Up or Draft As Usual?

Do you believe Gainey will deal off some assets to get a higher deal in the next entry draft?

Do you believe we will sign one or two UFA's wich could make such a deal a possibility? Say like signing Brooks Orpik for example and dealing Ryan O'Byrne to a team who needs size and speed on Defense?

Or will Gainey just draft his 5 players, have some St-Hubert chicken and coffee afterwards and go home quietly?

Discuss please.
-I think they should move up in the draft and get a better player than we could get with our own picks. We have enough quantity, and drafting another group of good player isn't what we need. I'm pretty sure Timmins can get 2 or maybe 3 good prospect out of this draft. But we already have the depth... We need a great player, we need quality this time.

-I think they won't do anything, as usual.

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 10:55 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeRo.O View Post
The latter
You mean the "St-Hubert Chicken" scenario...

I believe also that this will be the case.

Old
06-07-2008, 11:21 PM
znk

Something amazingly shocking will happen. There will be a huge uproar at first...then when they have cooled off people will find it more acceptable. Mark my words!

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 11:48 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
Something amazingly shocking will happen. There will be a huge uproar at first...then when they have cooled off people will find it more acceptable. Mark my words!
Something like :

-The habs draft Johan Motin in the first round
-Then Timmins claims he had him #1 overall
-Then everyone will be like : "wow that's a steal"

Right?

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 11:51 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

I say trade for more 2nds/3rds.

Trade the 1st for a decent 2nd and a 3rd/4th line guy who you know is solid. Then, if Gainey does make a big block buster trade, he'll have a guy ready to use, and can give the rest of the spots to new guys to try out for./

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 11:52 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Gainey won't make a blockbuster for the sake of making a blockbuster. I do think he will make some moves though and I think he's going to make a big move. Do I think it will be moving up in the draft? Nope. I think he's going to make a deal for a goal scorer and give up his first round pick and some prospects for it. I don't know who he's going to acquire, but Gainey's one of those guys who plays his cards very close to his chest and won't let anything out of the bag.

I'll say it right now that he probably makes a deal with a west coast team (Los Angeles or Anaheim?) and trades for someone like Frolov or Corey Perry. That's what I think is going to happen.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 12:00 AM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchise player View Post
Something like :

Right?
Well done!

I predict the Habs will:

- move down with their first draft pick, and acquire an extra 2nd rounder, like in the 06 draft

- not make any major trades until after the july 1st dust settles

- go hard after Sundin and Hossa, with the expectation that at least one of them will not sign here (maybe consider Naslund as a fallback option?)

- if unsuccessfull with both UFA's, try to make a trade for a Marleau or Tanguay type forward (not as ideal as Sundin or Hossa, but due for a bounceback year)

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 12:07 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Sure....it will be amazingly shocking to see that nothing will happen. There will be a huge uproar as far as everybody asking why nothing had happened, but then most people will come here saying that we should stop panicking, that Gainey and Co must know what they're doing...

No need to mark your words, isn't it always what happens?

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 12:07 AM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchise player View Post
Something like :

Right?
Komisarek,Chipchura, Grabovski, some other stuff I cant forsee yet(I dont have enough beer) and a 1st for Malkin.

Then the team sings Orpik, Hossa, (Malone or Rolston or Selane)

So I have been told...

Old
06-08-2008, 12:14 AM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Komisarek,Chipchura, Grabovski, some other stuff I cant forsee yet(I dont have enough beer) and a 1st for Malkin.

Then the team sings Orpik, Hossa, (Malone or Rolston or Selane)

So I have been told...
do we lose to Detroit in the final next year?

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 12:23 AM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post
do we lose to Detroit in the final next year?
Hey! You're not allowed to laugh until after the free agent period has passed and I'm proven right.

Ok...I will admit there are a couple of flaw in my vision. The first one is....if they dont sign Hossa why would they trade Malkin? Looks like we have to scratch Hossa from my vision.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 06-08-2008 at 01:44 PM.
Old
06-08-2008, 01:16 AM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

Quote:
Ok...I will admit there are a couple of flaw in my vision. The first one is....if they dont sign Hossa why would they trade Malkin? Looks like we have to scratch Hossa from my vision.
If i'm a GM i'd sign Malkin only because he's younger and will bring more to the team in the following years than Hossa could.

Old
06-08-2008, 01:39 AM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
I hate to burst some bubbles, yes! Montreal is an exciting & vibrate City, but! Don't expect anything fancy, the Habs will make their pick, perhaps a minor deal at most to move up a notch or two, if they see someone they like close. Expect the Habs to be going big around Free Agency, that's the BIG TICKET this year. More than likely, they will draft at their allotted position, & it might even be a goalie or a d-man, it will be what they think is the best player available.

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 02:56 AM
Lone Rogue

I would certainly not shed a tear if we traded our first round pick to acquire a star player. We have enough youth and prospects.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 06:32 AM
GNick42

I think we will have a quiet draft...with Gainey adding 2-3 decent prospects. Jokinen, M. Sauve, Paquette. Which is decent considering we are drafting late as we have in many a year.

He'll try for Sundin, Hossa and Jagr. In that order...30% chance of landing one of them. I see no major trades...may try and dump a Dands...but nothing to speak of

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 07:53 AM
Uwey

Blockbuster deals, no.

Big signings, depends on what you call big??

I believe this is the first summer though that Gainey may feel, he & his group have a good idea of who amongst the younger players can be dealt, who they should. Plus with a second wave starting/progressing into their development stages (Valentenko, Carle, Maxwell, Wyman, White, Trotter, McDonagh, Pacioretty & Weber), there is wiggle room to make some moves & it is time to stockup for the next wave.

IMO, Grabvosky is prime time trade bait to pick up extra picks. Maybe the rights to Perezoghin as well. A guy like Cory Locke may bring back a 5th or 6th rd pick.

Or he could become bold & move one or some of more highly touted kids, Chipchura, O'Bryne, Gorges, Latendresse, Halak &/or the rights to the likes of Fischer, Emelin(which I highly doubt) or Korneev?

I think the options that Gainey has this summer far exceeds any he had since joining this club as GM.

Uwey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 08:09 AM
Blades 0f Steel

My prediction:

-Habs will trade their 3rd for Sundin's rights & sign him
-Habs will not land any other UFA's
-Habs will trade for a Chimera-type player
-at the draft they'll pick up at least 2 more picks

my ball is getting cloudy...this is all I see.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 08:15 AM
Uwey

Here is a list of players I think might be worth keeping an eye on in to take over as roll player/blackace' so to speak, as backup plans. One yr, low budget contracts.

Stephane Yelle
Eric Nystrom
Chris Chelios
Aaron Asham
Martin Lapointe
Curtis Brown

Uwey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 08:26 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

The Habs still don't have any surplus of assets to consider trading for draft picks, IMHO. If any team out there wanted a Dandenault, say, then scooping up an extra 7th round pick might be possible, but I doubt even that's going to be possible. The default expectations should probably be for the quiet draft. If you were going to bet or predict, that's what the odds would favour, right?

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 08:35 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwey View Post
Here is a list of players I think might be worth keeping an eye on in to take over as roll player/blackace' so to speak, as backup plans. One yr, low budget contracts.

Stephane Yelle
Eric Nystrom
Chris Chelios
Aaron Asham
Martin Lapointe
Curtis Brown
Hmm, thanks for this!

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 08:43 AM
GNick42

Would a Korneev have decent trade value now? After WC. Say to move up in case a Beach fell to 15 or so?

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 08:57 AM
Fozz

Gainey already picked up an extra 2nd rounder in the 09 draft in the Huet trade. I wouldn't be surprised if he tried to get more draft picks for next year. The draft is on Montreal and, from all account, is an exceptional crop. If he trades down this year, don't surprised if the extra pick(s) he gets are for next year.

Then, I think it's time to try and get Erik Cole. He's a UFA after this year and the Canes are in somewhat of a rebuilding phase. I'd love to see this Habs killer and proven playoff warrior in our lineup. I think he would fit in real nicely on Koivu's right side and Carolina can afford to trade him, since they already have Williams, Walker, Ruutu and recently re-signed Eaves playing RW.

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 09:35 AM
Garnet

I love the Cole idea I mentioned it in a different thread but I wanted Williams too. For maybe higgins and a 1st and a young second teir Dman. This trade would add the grit and experience the habs need.

Garnet is offline   Reply With Quote