HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Gionta ++ for a top pairing D

Old
06-08-2008, 09:47 AM
The Overseer*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
If Sami Salo would waive his NTC I'd consider offering him for Gionta.

Gionta + what? Surely, you wouldn't do that trade straight up? That's ludicrous.

The Overseer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 01:02 PM
Devs4L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
So why not keep him? NJ was 27th in scoring last season (and 27th the year before); wouldn't it be better for the team to keep him and sign a free agent defenseman like Campbell (they have the cap space I think to make a major attempt to sign him)?
A few reasons for that....

The first is with both Lou and Conte basically saying that Bergfors is only going to get a shot with the team by playing RW on 1 of the first 2 lines, some people think it's worth making room for him by trading Gio and shedding over 3 million in cap space or basically that it's inevitable (considering Langenbrunner is the captain and is only making 2.8) that Gio will be the odd man out. A lot of people feel if Bergfors is paired with Elias or Parise, eventually he can do some damage, and maybe even this year.

Plus we're living in the cap era, it's all about managing. If Bergfors takes Gio's spot, Gio's 4 mil can go in a trade towards a dman (which is a need) of equal or slightly greater value financially. This would also still leave some room to add a forward via free agency, or an additional dman like a Stuart, Liles, or Hainsey. So basically it opens up some options.

Also, Gionta needs a center that the devils lost when they lost Gomez. Sure, they could just go out and blow Sundin out of the water with an offer, but again it's all about the cap and asking if it's worth it just for one player that has one year left on his contract.

Long time devils fans realize that when it comes to Lou, recently his FA acquisitions haven't been stellar. Also, he's not a GM that generally goes the free agency route. So, it's simply just a little bit more realistic to think an improvement will come via trade.

Hey, at the end of the day nobody knows what will come of Gio. It's very likely he starts the year with the devs again. But just like any fan of any team that get's bounced first round, you start looking at improvements and the options the team has. You look at the assets you have. Gionta is an asset.

Devs4L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 03:03 PM
SonicY
Ad hominem

From a Canucks perspective, Gionta fits into the mould only if we bring in a skilled center via Free Agency who can distribute him the puck adequately. He is a fairly one-dimensional player, so you would want to make sure you got the most out of that dimension.

I wouldn't be averse to something like Gionta+Greene for Bieksa. Maybe a lower-round pick from Vancouver to even it out.

I'm assuming the Devils wouldn't want to part with Jonny Oduya though? Gionta+Oduya for Bieksa and a decent forward prospect like Patrick White (or a 2nd and a 3rd, or the equivalent) makes a lot of sense to me. I'd have a hard time parting with Grabner in that package, as he is our top forward prospect right now... but I don't know.

SonicY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 03:06 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandlak View Post
Gionta + what? Surely, you wouldn't do that trade straight up? That's ludicrous.
With Salo's injury history and turning 34 this September, I have a feeling that his contract is going to be a bit of hindrance going forward. Just my gut feeling.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 04:18 PM
CFD
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicY View Post
From a Canucks perspective, Gionta fits into the mould only if we bring in a skilled center via Free Agency who can distribute him the puck adequately. He is a fairly one-dimensional player, so you would want to make sure you got the most out of that dimension.

I wouldn't be averse to something like Gionta+Greene for Bieksa. Maybe a lower-round pick from Vancouver to even it out.

I'm assuming the Devils wouldn't want to part with Jonny Oduya though? Gionta+Oduya for Bieksa and a decent forward prospect like Patrick White (or a 2nd and a 3rd, or the equivalent) makes a lot of sense to me. I'd have a hard time parting with Grabner in that package, as he is our top forward prospect right now... but I don't know.
Gionta is far from a one-dimensional player. He spent a good 30 games or so playing on the checking line, a heavy-duty role that asks a player to be at his best on the defensive end. Gio was, he played very well on the checking line, but I felt that he was wasted on the checking line playing with less offensive talent than on the top line with a guy like Elias.

As for Gionta's size, he really plays bigger than he is. In the right situation, he's a pain in the ass in front of the net on the powerplay, where he put up half of his goals in 05-06. Vancouver has an adequate shooting defense which Gionta missed last year. The guy can really deflect a puck.

I think that a Gionta and Greene for Bieksa is a good offer. Greene struggled mightily after being scratched in the middle of the season and seemed to lose confidence from there. He still carries with him a nice shot and could probably use a change of scenery and a new coach as he was not a favorite of Sutter.

As for Oduya, I'm a big fan of his and if he can keep improving in 82 games next season like he did in 41 games last year, he could really become an even stronger defender for us. A lot of Devil fans haven't warmed up to him yet because he was basically the team's scapegoat during the early season struggles, but he's a solid defenseman when paired with top pairing guy. I wouldn't want to trade him, but I wouldn't call him unmovable. But the Devils aren't going to get a much better value for a top 4 defenseman for just 600k.

CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 04:20 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devs4thCup View Post
I think that a Gionta and Greene for Bieksa is a good offer.
I can't see the Canucks making that offer.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 09:27 AM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

I'm not saying Gionta is worth a one or a two defenseman. However, he is a 30 to 35, goal scorer with a play-making center and how many have them are there in the NHL? He'll also bring back a late first rounder if he was to get moved at the trade deadline.

Brooklyndevil is offline   Reply With Quote