HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Martin Looks To Improve Defense, Happy With Forwards and Goalies Now In Organization

Old
06-07-2008, 02:03 PM
Georgia Panther

vCash: 500
Martin Looks To Improve Defense, Happy With Forwards and Goalies Now In Organization

Looks like Fans will have to be happy with the single possible addition in this off-season of Wade Redden or some other blueliner as Martin states he is happy with his goalies, content to promote from within for forward improvement and will only look for improvement from outside the Organization for the blueline, how surprising .

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/panther...hers_0607.html

Other Articles say the Cats are targeting Wade Redden.

http://www.ottawasun.com/Sports/Sena...89156-sun.html
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/blogs/c...rs_may_ta.html

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 02:13 PM
Panthers Rock
Oh...Yeah ;)

Send a message via AIM to Panthers Rock
Well you can't really argue the goalies angle. Our goalies are quite good, even Anderson is a great underrated backup.

And please, please start drafting good goalies for once. We NEVER develop our own, always acquire them.

Ok that said, I'm going to be disappointed if we don't finally get the top line winger Jokinen needs. Just one would be fine, you can put Zednik or even McLean on the other wing, doesn't matter. But c'mon Martin, part of their problem was scoring.

As for the blueline, if Redden were to deliver then I would not be upset. But at that point, Mike Van Ryn has gotta be history, no way they'd keep him then right? What about Murphy? And since Monty is likely gone, you better resign Cullimore and of course let Mezei walk. Magnus I don't care either way.

At this point though, that's some serious reliability on the young guys and praying that a guy like Matthias or whoever breaks out big. It's asking a LOT. Pray that our new coach can inspire this team. Because let's not forget the #1 thing they always lacked: CONFIDENCE. The confidence that they can keep a lead, that they're good enough to beat any team any night, that they can turnaround a game anytime they want to.

For goodness sake Martin, please, I'm begging you, get us to the playoffs!

Florida Panthers: 2014 NHL Entry Draft Lottery...Winners?
Panthers Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 03:01 PM
jrockett1096

Martin is a tool. No scoring forward, no playoffs. Book it.

jrockett1096 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 03:01 PM
Tuco

Yep, goalies are fine.

Defense - please someone take Van Ryn off of our hands. Probably won't happen though. Nobody wants him. Redden would be great, but expensive. To me he is the best option out of the ones mentioned in the articles above. Bouw needs to be signed. The rest I don't really care.

Offense - come on Martin, how many years are you talking about when you say that we will grow from within the organization? We have Matthias and Frolik coming up, but there's no knowing when/if they will start producing. It won't be next year though. Joke is in big trouble, the direction of his career is up in the air. Weiss has little more upside, Horton has an attitude problem. Booth is a fine third line grinder with occational scoring ability. Olesz hopefully improves, he has the tools. Then there's no-one else. Peltonen, Stumpel, Zednick, McLean - two of them will make the first line - playoffs next year???

Tuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 05:20 PM
Mogo
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

No Redden
No scoring forwards

Same ol same ol

Mogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 05:59 PM
RCGP
Go Panthers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthers Rock View Post
Well you can't really argue the goalies angle. Our goalies are quite good, even Anderson is a great underrated backup.

And please, please start drafting good goalies for once. We NEVER develop our own, always acquire them.

Ok that said, I'm going to be disappointed if we don't finally get the top line winger Jokinen needs. Just one would be fine, you can put Zednik or even McLean on the other wing, doesn't matter. But c'mon Martin, part of their problem was scoring.

As for the blueline, if Redden were to deliver then I would not be upset. But at that point, Mike Van Ryn has gotta be history, no way they'd keep him then right? What about Murphy? And since Monty is likely gone, you better resign Cullimore and of course let Mezei walk. Magnus I don't care either way.

At this point though, that's some serious reliability on the young guys and praying that a guy like Matthias or whoever breaks out big. It's asking a LOT. Pray that our new coach can inspire this team. Because let's not forget the #1 thing they always lacked: CONFIDENCE. The confidence that they can keep a lead, that they're good enough to beat any team any night, that they can turnaround a game anytime they want to.

For goodness sake Martin, please, I'm begging you, get us to the playoffs!
We spent 2nd rounders on Shantz, Plante and Auld. The team should take the BPA always.

I disagree about not needing anymore forwards, however this team does need to improve its defence, espcially from a puck moving side of things. Martin is probably taking into account that Matthias, Frolik and Repik are fairly close to becoming contributers.

RCGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 08:38 PM
GudVibransons

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCGP View Post
We spent 2nd rounders on Shantz, Plante and Auld. The team should take the BPA always.

I disagree about not needing anymore forwards, however this team does need to improve its defence, espcially from a puck moving side of things. Martin is probably taking into account that Matthias, Frolik and Repik are fairly close to becoming contributers.
I think that Martin believes that more offense will come from a better transition game. How many times did this team get hemmed into its own zone and kill any rush? I'm with everybody that we need a good finisher, but helping the transition game would be a big boost to the offense.

I think part of that will come with coaching too. Getting the forwards and defense to come in as a five man unit will improve overall team defense and offense.

Besides, who knows what will happen between now and the start of the season. Who thought Vokoun would become available? Maybe a new opportunity will arise and someone becomes available who isn't right now. I'll prefer to pass judgment after free agency has gone on for a bit. It's too early to go just on speculation.

GudVibransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 09:16 PM
Dread Clawz
fmrly MarkstromRules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagman-O-War View Post
I think that Martin believes that more offense will come from a better transition game. How many times did this team get hemmed into its own zone and kill any rush? I'm with everybody that we need a good finisher, but helping the transition game would be a big boost to the offense.

I think part of that will come with coaching too. Getting the forwards and defense to come in as a five man unit will improve overall team defense and offense.

Besides, who knows what will happen between now and the start of the season. Who thought Vokoun would become available? Maybe a new opportunity will arise and someone becomes available who isn't right now. I'll prefer to pass judgment after free agency has gone on for a bit. It's too early to go just on speculation.
Exactly, we need to improve both our transition from defense to offense, and also our skill up front. But we only have the money to address one need through UFA. We have a lot of forward skill coming up to the big club soon, but we don't have a lot of puck moving skill from the backline coming up soon. It seems like Martin is counting on Matthias to make the team next season. I don't think it's a bad plan at all. I'm not expecting Matthias to light the world on fire, but he can at least contribute. Maybe Repik and Frolik come up at some point in the season as well, who knows. Maybe Martin moves a couple bottom six forwards during the season to make room. Look at what the Kostitsyn brothers did for Montreal last year. Also, Grabovski and Chipchura for brief stretches. They went with a youth movement at forward last year and they wound up being the top seed in the East. I doubt they even make the playoffs without the Kostitsyns.

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 09:44 PM
39ontheline

We need fwds is he insane?? Oh right, she is.

39ontheline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 11:02 PM
PanthersRule96

The overall level of skill our forwards posess is pathetic. They have no one who is a consistent, reliable scorer. We have a few guys that can score here and there, but man, I wish we could deal Jokinen+ for Gaborik and sign Gabby to a multiyear deal.

PanthersRule96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 11:22 PM
hoax15

Send a message via AIM to hoax15
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersRule96 View Post
The overall level of skill our forwards posess is pathetic. They have no one who is a consistent, reliable scorer. We have a few guys that can score here and there, but man, I wish we could deal Jokinen+ for Gaborik and sign Gabby to a multiyear deal.
In honestly depends on how much weiss, bouwmeester, and horton develop this offseason. If they all improve we are a playoff team.

hoax15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 02:02 AM
JonathanHuberdoh
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via AIM to JonathanHuberdoh
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoax15 View Post
In honestly depends on how much weiss, bouwmeester, and horton develop this offseason. If they all improve we are a playoff team.
Horton needs an attitude adjustment.

JonathanHuberdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 07:35 AM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Remember Martin's system is based on defense first (not unlike Minnesota). So preventing goals is of most importance to him. He's thinking, "we scored 216 goals which was only 7 less than Minnesota and 6 less than San Jose and they were playoff teams, we just need to cut down on our goals against and get int the plus side of goals differential (last season -10)." You dont have to agree with it but thats his basic thinking. Bring in a new coach that will continue that and help the transition game on defense, and JM believes he's got a playoff-caliber team. Is he right? Who knows (like many of you, I agree that he's wrong for not acquiring a forward) but you can see why he believes that at least.

Expecting Matthias, Repik or Frolik to fill a roster spot is not good but Matthias prob could handle it between the 3. The buyout period begins in one week so you will see a lot of changes going on around the league at that point, with new possible targets as well.

Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 08:50 AM
ratmanfu

Send a message via MSN to ratmanfu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
Remember Martin's system is based on defense first (not unlike Minnesota). So preventing goals is of most importance to him. He's thinking, "we scored 216 goals which was only 7 less than Minnesota and 6 less than San Jose and they were playoff teams, we just need to cut down on our goals against and get int the plus side of goals differential (last season -10)." You dont have to agree with it but thats his basic thinking. Bring in a new coach that will continue that and help the transition game on defense, and JM believes he's got a playoff-caliber team. Is he right? Who knows (like many of you, I agree that he's wrong for not acquiring a forward) but you can see why he believes that at least.

Expecting Matthias, Repik or Frolik to fill a roster spot is not good but Matthias prob could handle it between the 3. The buyout period begins in one week so you will see a lot of changes going on around the league at that point, with new possible targets as well.
You pretty much summed it up perfectly, Rich.

Yet again, JM is planning on improving the offense by way of defense.

One can only hope that the new coach will do a better job of getting the most out of this team, because there won't be a pivotal offensive player brought in to spark this troupe. We can continue to kiss goodbye the extra point once we delve into shootout territory.

ratmanfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 09:49 AM
Georgia Panther

Which is why I'm so against JM remaining in the Organization. A Leopard can't change his spots and those that think a change in coaches will bring such a change are fooling themselves, IMO.

Old
06-08-2008, 09:57 AM
Georgia Panther

The Blind Leading The Blind

In his latest commentary on the state of the Panthers, Biggane lays out Martin's hope of a Playoff Berth for the Panthers by relying on an infusion of talent by our Prospects this coming season and justifies it by seeking out the "wisdom" of Rick Dudley. Talk about the Blind leading the Blind!!!

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/panther...gane_0608.html

Old
06-08-2008, 10:34 AM
harv3317

i have faith in martin. if we allow him to actually do what he wants we will have a bright future. the next year, maybe 2 will be a struggle, but after tha i see a strong team.
as far as ollie, he really is one of the only bonified offensive threats we have. he has carried this team for years with little offensive help, or any first line wingers to help him. the guy can only do so much. get him some help and give someone else the C and he will be fine!!! i am against trading him unless we get a boatload of talent for him at a similar salary!!!!

harv3317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 11:22 AM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther View Post
In his latest commentary on the state of the Panthers, Biggane lays out Martin's hope of a Playoff Berth for the Panthers by relying on an infusion of talent by our Prospects this coming season and justifies it by seeking out the "wisdom" of Rick Dudley. Talk about the Blind leading the Blind!!!

Why are you still quoting Biggane? We have already established that he's a tool with no credibility.

Rattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 11:54 AM
hoax15

Send a message via AIM to hoax15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther View Post

....you just quoted Biggane. Fail.

hoax15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 12:50 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattrick View Post
Why are you still quoting Biggane? We have already established that he's a tool with no credibility.
Because thats the only person he wants to quote, to try and get his point across.

pb1300 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 12:55 PM
Crossbar

Quote:
Only three rookies made a significant impact in Martin's three years as coach: Rostislav Olesz and Gregory Campbell made the team in 2005-06, and Kamil Kreps had 23 points as the third-line center this past year.
Umm, did Biggane forget about David Booth? Even the season where he played only 48 games, the kid made an impact for us, much more significant than Campbell at least.

Crossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 01:51 PM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:

When exactly does it begin???

Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 02:22 PM
Booth10

Biggane is actually a good writer with a lot of insight. It would seem he is relying on contacts that feed him garbage and he buys it. He can't possibly just make up this stuff, so his contacts have to be telling him they know things when they don't. Or he is making it up? Is that possible?

Booth10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 02:47 PM
Gaebriel

I would rather lose every single game 7-6 than watch the ****ing trap for another 82 snoozefests.

Gaebriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 02:59 PM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBouw View Post
Exactly, we need to improve both our transition from defense to offense, and also our skill up front. But we only have the money to address one need through UFA. We have a lot of forward skill coming up to the big club soon, but we don't have a lot of puck moving skill from the backline coming up soon. It seems like Martin is counting on Matthias to make the team next season. I don't think it's a bad plan at all. I'm not expecting Matthias to light the world on fire, but he can at least contribute. Maybe Repik and Frolik come up at some point in the season as well, who knows. Maybe Martin moves a couple bottom six forwards during the season to make room. Look at what the Kostitsyn brothers did for Montreal last year. Also, Grabovski and Chipchura for brief stretches. They went with a youth movement at forward last year and they wound up being the top seed in the East. I doubt they even make the playoffs without the Kostitsyns.
i think you sum it up nicely. obviously we need help in both places but i agree with JM - we can make a jump quicker, cheaper and better (for the long term health of the club) by acquiring that help on the backend right now.

wrt your mention of montreal, we can also look at the bruins for an example of a team that benefited from an infusion of youth - krejci, nokalainen and lucic along with consistent defense enabled them to jump into the top 8 and give the habs a run for their money. imo, the panthers have more talent offensively than the bruins, even with bergeron (granted, though, not by that much). that should say something about the immediate needs of this team. also, whoever comes in as coach absolutely must be able to get this team to play better and more consistent team defense, regardless of personnel.

Quote:

i'm generally in agreement with you here but... ALL systems start with defense first. less skilled/slower teams tend to spend more time working on the nuances as this increases their chance to defeat a team with more speed/skill. however, you MUST start with a solid defensive posture and system whereby your Fs and Ds (and goalie) know where each are and what their responsibilities are. if anyone here doesn't think the wings work incessantly on defense and neutral zone play, they are fooling themselves. same goes for anyone who believes this year's wings don't start from the blue line out.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote