HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

RUMOR (Ottawa Sun): Umberger or Upshall for Meszaros

Old
06-05-2008, 05:00 PM
CantSeeColors

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELab2 View Post
I would need a lot more back than just Meszaros in that case.

And Meltzer isn't wrong. Upshall is not a hard player to replace, and if Carter "needs" him we're doomed.
Really? You'd take one season of Lupul and whatever you can turn his rights and Umberger's rights into individually over a guy like Meszaros?

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 05:05 PM
mercury

Quote:
I would need a lot more back than just Meszaros in that case.

And Meltzer isn't wrong. Upshall is not a hard player to replace, and if Carter "needs" him we're doomed.
I agree on the first count completely. If they had a legit 3rd line center under contract to serve up with Mez, then it would be a little closer. On the second, I'd prefer to keep Lupul, then Upshall, then Umberger, in that order.

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 05:14 PM
ELab2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post
I agree on the first count completely. If they had a legit 3rd line center under contract to serve up with Mez, then it would be a little closer. On the second, I'd prefer to keep Lupul, then Upshall, then Umberger, in that order.
on the first thing, yes that's pretty much exactly what I was thinking on the 3rd line center.

And yes I agree with the order in which you would like to keep those players but Umberger is still harder to replace. I keep Upshall over Umberger because you'll he's a good value on the roster I think.

And yes Cantseecolor because I think the value of those two players is significantly higher than just Meszaros. I don't think Lupul's value is that far behind Meszaros' personally.

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 06:39 PM
TheKingPin

Quote:
on the first thing, yes that's pretty much exactly what I was thinking on the 3rd line center.

And yes I agree with the order in which you would like to keep those players but Umberger is still harder to replace. I keep Upshall over Umberger because you'll he's a good value on the roster I think.

And yes Cantseecolor because I think the value of those two players is significantly higher than just Meszaros. I don't think Lupul's value is that far behind Meszaros' personally.
If Lupul had a complete and healthy season then that MAYBE the case. But Dmen are the key to winning the Cup. Look at DET and the DUCKS they both have awesome D's and DET besides their top 2 forwards has very little goal scoring talent...

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 07:13 PM
Shoeny

Quote:
so whos going to replace upshall's speed and energy role. kapanen and tolpeko are gone. downie isnt that player.

i might be exaggerating the needing part, but its obvious that carter has produced better with upshall than without.

Shoeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 07:40 PM
Ghost of Downie*

I love Upshall as much as anyone, but if the Sens need him as part of the package to get Meszaros, I'd wish him luck and welcome him back at the Wachovia Center 2 times a year.

Ghost of Downie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 09:16 PM
Uppie101

One thing that I see missed here. Upshall plays the FLYERS style hockey and there are not a lot forwards on the team currently playing that way. The fans love it and he loves playing in Philly. I don't see him getting traded. Upshall healthy can easily be a top six forward providing he stays out of the coaches dog house.

Uppie101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 11:08 PM
mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uppie101 View Post
One thing that I see missed here. Upshall plays the FLYERS style hockey and there are not a lot forwards on the team currently playing that way. The fans love it and he loves playing in Philly. I don't see him getting traded. Upshall healthy can easily be a top six forward providing he stays out of the coaches dog house.
I like Upshall a lot, and I would LOVE to see Upshall-Carter-Giroux as a line. However, if a team with a Meszaros-type defenseman wants him, he is (or should be) gone.

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 12:12 AM
ELab2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeny View Post
so whos going to replace upshall's speed and energy role. kapanen and tolpeko are gone. downie isnt that player.

i might be exaggerating the needing part, but its obvious that carter has produced better with upshall than without.
In a pinch Thor could take care of most of the stuff, you'll lose about ten goals but you'll get much better defense. There are about 6 guys on the Phantoms who could come in fill that role, most of the aren't ready but after next year most of them will be able to do it.

Old
06-06-2008, 08:54 AM
Shoeny

Quote:
In a pinch Thor could take care of most of the stuff, you'll lose about ten goals but you'll get much better defense. There are about 6 guys on the Phantoms who could come in fill that role, most of the aren't ready but after next year most of them will be able to do it.
yeah but i dont want to see any of them anywhere near a top 9 spot. i would love to see a cote-thor-downie fourth line but it doesnt make sense.

btw just because stevens plays thor on pk and replaces upshall for kapanen for defensive purposes doesnt mean hes better defensively. i think stevens benched upshall bec he was afraid of him getting a stupid penalty. once upshall matures and stops taking the stupid penalties and only draws them he will be more valuable than umberger.

Old
06-06-2008, 10:01 AM
mikedifr

If Umberger leaves, you still have Richards, Carter, Briere, Gagne, Lupul, maybe Giroux to give you offense.

If Upshall leaves, you have Hartnell that adds that element to the team. Upshall is more valuable, in my opinion, than some people think. He also has the potential to break out and become a 20 goal player.

If he is moved this team needs to replace his speed, grit and agressiveness.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 12:47 PM
Mota

I think upshall will stay. It seems like umberger is the obvious choice to be traded. I also have a feeling potulny supporters will be disappointed.

Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 01:37 PM
IrishSniper87

Umberger, Nodl, and a pick for Meszaros will be fine.
I don't care if we trade Knuble either.

Hatcher is done, he will retire. Kapenen already retired. Give Carter a 5 year/23 Million deal, then sign Meszaros 4 years at 15 (using Hatchers money). Keep Parent on the big club, bring up Giroux (sp?) and I think the Flyers are an even better team then last year. Modry walks, Smith walks. We will probably still be golden cap wise.

You still have gagne, briere, carter, richards, lupul, upshall, downie, giroux, hartnell and timonen, coburn, parent, kukkonen, meszaros. Plus others i may have forgotten.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 12:17 AM
ELab2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeny View Post
btw just because stevens plays thor on pk and replaces upshall for kapanen for defensive purposes doesnt mean hes better defensively. i think stevens benched upshall bec he was afraid of him getting a stupid penalty. once upshall matures and stops taking the stupid penalties and only draws them he will be more valuable than umberger.
Has nothing to do with what Stevens does it has to do with what I observe. When I watch Thor I see an very good defensive player, now he's still young but he's got the makings of being an excellent defensive forwards IMO. Upshall doesn't have that ability in my eyes, he may end up being good but not as good as Thor is.

Old
06-07-2008, 12:53 AM
FlyLife
Nuthin but a G Thang

I don't think Upshall should be traded...he is probably the fastest player on the team, behind maybe Carter. And having both of them on the same line together, with potentially Giroux on the same line, you have one of the fastest lines in the league. I think that reason alone should keep Upshall in Philly...atleast I hope it does!

FlyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 01:21 AM
ELab2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff VanRichards View Post
I don't think Upshall should be traded...he is probably the fastest player on the team, behind maybe Carter. And having both of them on the same line together, with potentially Giroux on the same line, you have one of the fastest lines in the league. I think that reason alone should keep Upshall in Philly...atleast I hope it does!
That's not enough reason to keep someone when you have a bigger need elsewhere.

I agree that I think we should keep Upshall. He's not expensive and I think he'll probably be resigned for a reasonable amount when his contract runs out. But if your going to get Meszaros for him you have to do it. They're not though so that's okay.

Old
06-07-2008, 06:06 PM
Shoeny

Quote:
Has nothing to do with what Stevens does it has to do with what I observe. When I watch Thor I see an very good defensive player, now he's still young but he's got the makings of being an excellent defensive forwards IMO. Upshall doesn't have that ability in my eyes, he may end up being good but not as good as Thor is.
thor might be a little better defensively than upshall but thor will never be an excellent defensive players. lets be realistic here. i wish there were better stats for defense but the guy has never been a plus player.

please tell me what makes a player really good defensively bec from what ive seen from thor is he is out of position a lot and its not like he's a great checker either.

Old
06-08-2008, 12:46 PM

Umberger is pretty much our most expendable 'good' forward. His value is probably higher than it'll ever be and he'll be asking for more money than i'm personally willing to give him. Get him traded whilst the memory of his play-offs are still fresh in the mind.

Whilst i can't comment expertly on his technical ability, Meszaros is incredibly reliable physically. He's not missed a game in three years!

PS. Can we have some 'Keep Upshall' avs?

Last edited by 1865: 06-08-2008 at 01:04 PM.
1865 is offline   Reply With Quote