HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Worst Team

View Poll Results: Will the Islanders be the worst team in the NHL?
Yes they are in bad shape. 16 20.51%
No their young kids will produce. 17 21.79%
No, but they will be last in the Atlantic. 45 57.69%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-08-2008, 07:26 PM
newyorkrangers11

vCash: 500
Bringing in good players isn't what the Isles are known for. Letting go of them however.

ie; Lluongo, Chara, Spezza... I could keep goin

newyorkrangers11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 07:28 PM
In The Flesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiDubiDoo View Post
Completely agree, the Isles need a revival, and a good islanders team is good for the Rangers as well. How long has it been since we met in the playoff, 14 years??? Playoff series vs the isles are as good as vs the devils or better...
Agreed, I'm getting sick of the devils, I was too young to see any PO series with the isles. The Rangers/Isles rivalry is still good, but could be better, a PO series would be gold.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 07:28 PM
Fataldogg

I don't think they will finish last in the NHL or even close to it. The team has too good of a work ethic. A lot of their young players play with a lot of heart. They will finish last in the Atlantic but that is one of the most competitive divisions in the NHL. I think the Isles will finish about 20th in the NHL. DiPietro has a ton of a talent and is a solid #1 goaltender, the team has good work ethic, and the youths ambition will assure that they don't finish last in the NHL.

And who is to say they don't land a major signing? Things can change a lot. Who is to say Pittsburgh will even finish in first. Will they have Malone, Fleury, Orpik, Ruutu, Hossa, Roberts, Laraque, Hall etc;? I think Fleury will be returning but I think there is a decent chance for Malone and Orpik to sign else where. They won't be signing Hossa back. Will Roberts sign back? I don't know what his plans are, especially in terms of retirement. What about Laraque and Hall? They can end up losing so many role players next year that they look a lot different.

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 07:32 PM
BlueShirts88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to BlueShirts88
The bottom line is the Islanders need to do something very quickly in terms of a new building, or they will not be here anymore. I heard that if plans for a new building fall through, the team will move to either Brooklyn (the new nets arena) or Kansas City. Is there any truth to this?

Makes me sad because I really enjoy invading the colisuem and calling it my 2nd home

06-08-2008, 08:25 PM
z1co80
The Incredible Hank

vCash: 50
i am sure i read somewhere that they are not getting to move to Brooklyn, they have been denied.

i may be wrong but if someone else knows for definite then correct me if i'm wrong

z1co80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 08:52 PM
eco's bones

The Islanders don't seem to be doing much with their player development and I expect they will have depth problems. They should be pretty good with cap space where they may be able to bring in several very good UFA's so they should be able to plug some of the holes. Getting the best UFA's to go to Long Island though will probably be a problem. Not a very exciting setting for a hockey player these days. Even so they seem better positioned to take a run at Marian Hossa than we are. And I wouldn't altogether underestimate Ted Nolan's ability to get the best out of his team. They had injury problems all of last year. I don't see them as a playoff team but I don't think they're going to be as bad as last year.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 09:13 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
i see a 9-10th spot in east for islanders. they got a solid goalie if he can stay healthy, got solid future up front. on defense they can upgrade, imagine if they signed orpik and redden, they do have cap space.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 11:11 PM
skymachine

Who cares.

As long as they go 0-6 against the Rangers.

skymachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 11:50 PM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
I don't think the Islanders are so horrible that they would be the worst team in the league..no matter how terrible they are, they always put a couple of scares into the Rangers and Devils over the course of the season. With that said, I really can't see them finishing above the basement of the Atlantic. It's the best division in hockey in my opinion and they have a bit of a ways to go before they can even get to 4th.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 07:57 AM
cavs

This same clown came to the Islanders board starting a thread that got locked pretty quickly. The OP really makes the decent ranger fans more likeable and respectable

cavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 08:44 AM
free0717

Islanders will be one of the worst teams.

Without a doubt. They will be young and hard working because of Ted Nolan, but Vaschek, Fototenko will not be back. They will be a floor team who goes young. They already stated that they cant bring in Stars so they will have to draft the stars.

I cant think of a team who will be worse. What about you guys, Who will be worse than the Islanders?

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 08:50 AM
broadwayblue

With so much parity in the league these days it's really hard to predict who will finish last. As someone else pointed out, we were predicted to finish last after the lockout, but we ended up with 100 points. Tampa Bay tied for last this year, but they had 93 points a year ago. So the bottom line is, if you were offering me a bet on who would finish last, the Islanders vs. The Field...I would certainly take the latter.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 09:33 AM
Fletch

Let's at least wait...

until the end of the initial flurry of free agency signings. They may have some cap space to acquire a couple decent guys to fill in holes and perhaps make some noise next season. And we need to see with what the Rangers end this Summer - right now, if you go solely on signed players, it doesn't look all that great. So let's wait until we at least see what rosters look like before determining if a team will finish dead last in the league.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 01:05 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
This thread is only fodder to end up bumped if the Isles are solid.

Please delete...

Fire Sather is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 01:19 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather View Post
This thread is only fodder to end up bumped if the Isles are solid.

Please delete...
no need to delete it. should the Isles do well it will only make those who counted them out look foolish.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 02:58 PM
pmorris

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorkrangers11 View Post
Bringing in good players isn't what the Isles are known for. Letting go of them however.

ie; Lluongo, Chara, Spezza... I could keep goin
You forgot passing up Heatley for DiPietro. And picking Torres (who didn't really pan out as a top 5 pick) over guys like Hartnell, Frolov, Volchenkov, and Orpik. Christ, can you imagine Orpik being an Islander? They might be somewhat solid.

pmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 04:49 PM
newyorkrangers11

My thread that got locked was because of reading sources that weren't credible. Yes if the Isles do well, I will look foolish. That is the great dam thing about sports you never know. On paper this year the Rangers looked to have a team that would produce heavily offensively... clearly that wasn't the case.

newyorkrangers11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 04:53 PM
Dredden
JT Miller

Pitt
Phi/nyr
Nyr/phi
Njd
Nyi

Dredden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 05:57 PM
In The Flesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by free0717 View Post
Without a doubt. They will be young and hard working because of Ted Nolan, but Vaschek, Fototenko will not be back. They will be a floor team who goes young. They already stated that they cant bring in Stars so they will have to draft the stars.

I cant think of a team who will be worse. What about you guys, Who will be worse than the Islanders?
Toronto for sure, maybe EDM, depends if their goaltending can stand up the whole season. STL could also be pretty bad, ATL. Isles wont make the PO's, but I doubt they'll be lottery candidates, and we don't want them to be either. They have a Top 5 Goalie.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 05:59 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorkrangers11 View Post

ie; Lluongo, Chara, Spezza... I could keep goin :handclap:
Redden, Bertuzzi, Linden...basicly the Ottawa Senators

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 06:01 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post
Toronto for sure, maybe EDM, depends if their goaltending can stand up the whole season. STL could also be pretty bad, ATL. Isles wont make the PO's, but I doubt they'll be lottery candidates, and we don't want them to be either. They have a Top 5 Goalie.
who's had 2 hip surgery's and knee surgery, hes gonna last the whole 15 years

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 07:27 PM
otto1219

ted nolan is too good of a coach for the isles to be that bad. I see maybe atlanta being the worst team. Isles will still be around tenth i think in the east.

otto1219 is offline   Reply With Quote