HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Which one should the Habs keep ?

View Poll Results: Which of these vets would you like to keep ?
Smolinski 11 8.46%
Dandenault 1 0.77%
Brisebois 17 13.08%
Bégin 88 67.69%
none 31 23.85%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-08-2008, 08:49 AM
LilWinger11

vCash: 500
The only one that I absolutely cannot make a case for keeping is Dandy.

-Brisebois: Has a ring (as a Hab). Is useful on the PP. Seems accepting of a 7th D role and can play more minutes short-term in case of an injury to someone else. Shoots R.

-Begin: Has heart in spades. Doesn't hesitate to hit, block shots, and most importantly fight. Good PKer, decent agitator (maybe could teach Lapierre a bit more). Is Quebecois (not that important to me, but we all know it is to some fans).

-Smolinski: Vet. Seems respected by the other guys in the room. Pwns Brodeur. Was good in playoffs. I'd resign him for one year IF a) Chipchura were to be traded at the draft, and b) he were amenable to possibly spending some time in Hamilton. Otherwise, no thx.

LilWinger11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 02:30 PM
polarslam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
The thing is, even if you make the argument from that direction, there are better and cheaper vet defenseman than Brisebois who would be available on the FA market.

Of course there are better vet D-Men on the free agent market, but cheaper? Breisbois was making almost minimum last season.

Also as I said, Breisbois is happy to be a Hab and makes no issue being the 7th D-Man who plays less than half the games. Try finding other vet D-Men that are free agents that won't make ice time an issue. For the role he fills, Breisbois is a great fit.

polarslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 02:40 PM
Kriss E

time to replace the old finished players by old and useful players.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 03:08 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
I think Begin injured & broken & all is the only one on that list thats worthy. I am shocked!!!! that 14 people voted Breezer, I'm still Drinking J.D. thinking about the few fans on this board that wanted Brisebois to be our defensive coach not to long ago. There is something really! really! wrong with a few people in Montreal these days....(shaking head in palms)

Brisebois must leave not only the Habs, but Hockey in general....

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 03:10 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarslam View Post
Of course there are better vet D-Men on the free agent market, but cheaper? Breisbois was making almost minimum last season.

Also as I said, Breisbois is happy to be a Hab and makes no issue being the 7th D-Man who plays less than half the games. Try finding other vet D-Men that are free agents that won't make ice time an issue. For the role he fills, Breisbois is a great fit.
If gainey re-sign Streit, there is not much room left on the D and on the team.

Markov, Komisarek, Hamrlik, Gorges, O'Byrne and Bouillon are already available. Streit might demand to play on D to re-sign here. So, bye bye Brisebois.

And bye bye Dandenault too. Way too expensive to keep in the press box.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 03:25 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Begin-Smokes/Brisebois.

Dandenault... I don't like him. He's got two cups, and Breezer has one, but they were both as instrumental to their team's success as the other, which is minimal.

Another year, same price, then I say Breezer and Begin, Chips on the 3rd.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 03:59 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Begin-Smokes/Brisebois.

Dandenault... I don't like him. He's got two cups, and Breezer has one, but they were both as instrumental to their team's success as the other, which is minimal.

Another year, same price, then I say Breezer and Begin, Chips on the 3rd.
Brisebois is a decent #7 for the price tag he has and the game he plays (offensive). I would love him back because he's my favourite player.. but at the same time, I wouldn't not be upset if he retired because he'd go out 1) on a high note and 2) because he doesn't bring what he once used too.

However, to say that Brisebois' impact on his cup winning team was minimal, in my opinion at least, is a joke.

He had an incredible regular season in 1992-1993, which was his first full year. He scored 10 goals and 31 points in 70 games. His playoffs weren't as powerful, but he was still a key contributor and played solid minutes.

Dandenault on the other hand, as far as I remember was a utliity defenseman/forward (3rd pairing, 3rd/4th line) during his cup runs with the Wings.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 08:15 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarslam View Post
He was a $1.4M cap hit and there were tons of veteran (and minor league veteran) d-men who were cheaper. And better.
Quote:
Well, if it's just a matter of being happy to be a Hab, I do reckon there'd be thousands (millions?) of folks out there who could qualify on those grounds. But of course also some who are better hockey players too, which would be my screening criterion. Although you don't even really need the "veteran" restriction either IMHO. You can swing for the fences a bit with reclamations or other qualifications. I predict I could list 50 defenseman better, cheaper, and available. I also predict that you wouldn't agree with me that all 50 are indeed better.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 03:36 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

I voted none, but if we kept Breezer I wouldn't mind. As a 7th dman he is useful. Fill in for injuries or a few games here and there when youngsters are tired or ineffective. Not to mention I think we will be cup contenders and I would love nothing more than for Brisebois to go out a champion.

Fish on The Sand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 03:58 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
He was a $1.4M cap hit and there were tons of veteran (and minor league veteran) d-men who were cheaper. And better.

Well, if it's just a matter of being happy to be a Hab, I do reckon there'd be thousands (millions?) of folks out there who could qualify on those grounds. But of course also some who are better hockey players too, which would be my screening criterion. Although you don't even really need the "veteran" restriction either IMHO. You can swing for the fences a bit with reclamations or other qualifications. I predict I could list 50 defenseman better, cheaper, and available. I also predict that you wouldn't agree with me that all 50 are indeed better.
I thought the CAP HIT only counts IF the player reaches their bonuses?

Either way, the CAP HIT didn't matter last year (or this year).

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 04:21 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
I thought the CAP HIT only counts IF the player reaches their bonuses?

Either way, the CAP HIT didn't matter last year (or this year).
the bonuses count against the cap until they are no longer attainable.

Fish on The Sand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 09:55 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Problem with bringing Brisebois in as a 7th defender is Carbonneau will still use him as a top-4 guy reguardless.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote