HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Marty Straka vs Radim Vrbata

Old
06-08-2008, 05:13 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

vCash: 500
Marty Straka vs Radim Vrbata

Obviously Straka is Jagrs friend and that holds some weight I think. He's also been a good Ranger, plays with heart. He's also a LW but Vrbata also can play LW. Both are Czech

Radim Vrbata was 2nd on the Yotes in points last season. He's 26 years old. He made 1.3 Mill last year.

We know Strakas game. Showed some signs of age last year, longer recovery after injuries. Still solid 2 way player, but he's is 36.

Neither are overly physical. But the skill is there.

Thoughts?

06-08-2008, 06:06 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

I don't get it. Is Vrbata a UFA?

If so, why is it between him and Straka to join the team? Could get him without not re-signing Straka.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 06:17 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

They are both UFA.

One or the other imo. Of course you could go in a completely different direction, but if they want to keep JJ but let Marty go....

Its no secret Jagr likes his countrymen in the room. Not that he would insist, but it is his preference to have some other Czechs around.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 07:23 PM
BlueShirts88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to BlueShirts88
Keep Straka if the price is right, and only if Jagr stays. If Jagr walks, dont resign him, but also dont sign Vrbata. Was never a big fan of him...

I think if Jagr goes we need to rebuild around our locked core of Gomez, Drury, and Lundqvist. I just dont see Vrbata as a Ranger

06-08-2008, 08:04 PM
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking

Send a message via MSN to Jill Sandwich
I've mentioned Marty as a guy I wouldn't mind the Pens sign to a one year contract, as a Sykora type of element on our team. It would also be good to have someone to step into the top 6 if we lost Malone, Hossa and Dupuis. But I agree that Marty will just follow Jagr.

I don't know anything about Vrbata.

Jill Sandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 08:30 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Therrien View Post
I've mentioned Marty as a guy I wouldn't mind the Pens sign to a one year contract, as a Sykora type of element on our team. It would also be good to have someone to step into the top 6 if we lost Malone, Hossa and Dupuis. But I agree that Marty will just follow Jagr.

I don't know anything about Vrbata.
I don't know if you want Marty in a top 6 rule, dude. He just doesn't have it in him anymore for that.

Bottom 6, sure. Top 6? No way.

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 08:35 PM
BlueShirts88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to BlueShirts88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I don't know if you want Marty in a top 6 rule, dude. He just doesn't have it in him anymore for that.

Bottom 6, sure. Top 6? No way.
I think he could be top 6

BlueShirts88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 08:38 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers88 View Post
I think he could be top 6
I don't see it at all. He struggled there most of the year for us, if you ask me.

And I'm one of the biggest Straka fans around.

Old
06-08-2008, 08:44 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
I don't see it at all. He struggled there most of the year for us, if you ask me.

And I'm one of the biggest Straka fans around.
he had 10 pts in 10 games in the playoffs. yea he had an off year but always works hard and is a good team guy. id give him another chance. he can still skate so is effective even if he dont put up that many pts, by his speed can give us some powerplays by drawing penalties. now our powerplay we gotta improve that during the offseason maybe have a different strategy

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 08:48 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCallahan43 View Post
he had 10 pts in 10 games in the playoffs. yea he had an off year but always works hard and is a good team guy. id give him another chance. he can still skate so is effective even if he dont put up that many pts, by his speed can give us some powerplays by drawing penalties. now our powerplay we gotta improve that during the offseason maybe have a different strategy
He had 10 points because of Jagr who was absolutely freaking insane in the playoffs.

He dragged down the 1st line a lot, if you ask me.

I love the guy and I want a NYR Straka jersey, but ideally he's a 3rd liner right now. You have problems when he's on your first line.

Old
06-08-2008, 08:50 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Quote:
He had 10 points because of Jagr who was absolutely freaking insane in the playoffs.

I love the guy and I want a NYR Straka jersey, but ideally he's a 3rd liner right now. You have problems when he's on your first line.
his speed will always keep him in the nhl like sami kapanen. too bad kapanen left. i was hoping for kapanen as a ranger. always liked his speed

Old
06-08-2008, 08:50 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Vrbata, for a good chunk of last year, was very good offensively. He was a threat everytime he had the puck. Whether he was passing or scoring goals, his offense was unbelievable. But outside of that chunk, he was completely invisible. I wouldn't mind having him since this team needs help scoring. Plus he has good shoot out skills which is a kind of player that the Rangers missed this year. just some thoughts from ur resident Yotes fan

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 08:58 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
Vrbata, for a good chunk of last year, was very good offensively. He was a threat everytime he had the puck. Whether he was passing or scoring goals, his offense was unbelievable. But outside of that chunk, he was completely invisible. I wouldn't mind having him since this team needs help scoring. Plus he has good shoot out skills which is a kind of player that the Rangers missed this year. just some thoughts from ur resident Yotes fan
and he is only 26, i think hed work with jagr.

Old
06-08-2008, 09:05 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

I think it's more-so the fact that our lineup has more versatility by putting Straka on the Third Line.

Regardless of what Renney thinks; if Avery's feeling good about himself, Avery-Dubinsky-Jagr works very well. Straka-Drury-Callahan clicked too. It just helps the lineup in a complete fashion.

Vrbata could fill a 2nd line hole without getting Ryan Malone for an overpriced $5 mill, or a Brian Rolston for an overpriced $5 mill; however, for UFA's, that's the standard price for their production.

Avery - Dubinsky - Jagr
Dawes - Gomez - Vrbata
Straka - Drury - Callahan
Sjo - Betts - Korp

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 09:17 PM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Staal View Post
I don't get it. Is Vrbata a UFA?

If so, why is it between him and Straka to join the team? Could get him without not re-signing Straka.

Vrbata is an UFA. He and his stats are WAY overrated. He may have been 2nd in scoring for the Coyotes last season but he was completely invisible and useless when the Coyotes were making their run for the playoffs. This is a player teams should stay away from.

Old
06-08-2008, 09:25 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

To Marty's credit, he has a lot of heart and plays injured.
To Marty's discredit, he plays injured and hurts his team. Like when he was unable to take the shot from the point because of a bum shoulder.

This would be something that needs to be addressed if he is to return otherwise thank you for you services.

I wonder if Prucha can become a player like Straka. Straka had a great second season in Pittsburgh (his first full season), moved on to Ottawa, bounced around the league for a couple of unspectacular seasons, came back to Pittsburgh, started to find his game and then in three seasons on a line with Jagr and Lang tallied 257 points. A few more unspectacular seasons before signing with the Rangers for back to back 70 point seasons. I wish I knew Straka's history better but I wonder, if Marty Straka at 5'9" can have such a great (albeit up and down) career, could Prucha? Everyone on this board seems to have totally given up on him. He doesn't seem to appear in anyone's line combos anymore. I hope he's working his ass off this summer.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 09:32 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
To Marty's credit, he has a lot of heart and plays injured.
To Marty's discredit, he plays injured and hurts his team. Like when he was unable to take the shot from the point because of a bum shoulder.

This would be something that needs to be addressed if he is to return otherwise thank you for you services.

I wonder if Prucha can become a player like Straka. Straka had a great second season in Pittsburgh (his first full season), moved on to Ottawa, bounced around the league for a couple of unspectacular seasons, came back to Pittsburgh, started to find his game and then in three seasons on a line with Jagr and Lang tallied 257 points. A few more unspectacular seasons before signing with the Rangers for back to back 70 point seasons. I wish I knew Straka's history better but I wonder, if Marty Straka at 5'9" can have such a great (albeit up and down) career, could Prucha? Everyone on this board seems to have totally given up on him. He doesn't seem to appear in anyone's line combos anymore. I hope he's working his ass off this summer.
when renney plays hollweg over prucha something is wrong

Old
06-08-2008, 10:54 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:

He is a great fit with Jagr, when Jagr is doing Jagr like positive things. He is also GREAT at covering JJs ass at the other end of the ice on occassion.

You just know if hes back next season Renny puts him on Jagrs line, assuming there is a Jagr line.

Old
06-08-2008, 11:00 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Staal View Post
I think it's more-so the fact that our lineup has more versatility by putting Straka on the Third Line.

Regardless of what Renney thinks; if Avery's feeling good about himself, Avery-Dubinsky-Jagr works very well. Straka-Drury-Callahan clicked too. It just helps the lineup in a complete fashion.

Vrbata could fill a 2nd line hole without getting Ryan Malone for an overpriced $5 mill, or a Brian Rolston for an overpriced $5 mill; however, for UFA's, that's the standard price for their production.

Avery - Dubinsky - Jagr
Dawes - Gomez - Vrbata
Straka - Drury - Callahan
Sjo - Betts - Korp
Rolston is great but kind of on the old side. Is Malone going to be player Gomez needs? I like his physicality but how many of those points were due to Sid and Malkin.

Avery on the 1st line is a funny ass reality. It sure would be fun to watch Sean benefit from a full season on a line with a performing Jagr

Old
06-09-2008, 08:56 AM
Turambar

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chariot View Post

Avery on the 1st line is a funny ass reality. It sure would be fun to watch Sean benefit from a full season on a line with a performing Jagr
I don't think we'll see a Avery-Dubinsky-Jagr line again. Yes, it worked for a little while, but after the "honeymoon period" the production stalled, just as it did with every other line Jagr was on during the regular season. But even regardless of production, Renney took Avery off the line for a reason, and it was rather sudden. At that point, there was really no particular reason (visible on the surface, anyway) for Renney to do so, so I'm thinking that maybe the personal chemistry wasn't working, for whatever reason. Maybe Jagr didn't like playing on a line with Avery, maybe it was something else. Either way, I think we've seen the last of that line.

Turambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 09:01 AM
TheSchwab

Send a message via MSN to TheSchwab
neither. Vbrata is over-rated.

TheSchwab is offline   Reply With Quote