HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prucha

View Poll Results: prucha?
use him to fill a hole next yr 92 50.27%
use him as part of a trade 86 46.99%
keep him with limited play like this yr 5 2.73%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-07-2008, 04:15 PM
Vitto79

vCash: 500
So he had one bad year,,,,,,,,was hurt and did'nt get PP time and people want to give up on a guy who scored over 20 goals in his first 2 seasons

i guarantee if he goes he scores somewhere else

I say keep him or deal him for a player of equal potential............I am fine with him getting time at this point though

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 05:23 PM
Ranger35
Proud of NYR

Send a message via AIM to Ranger35
I'm not ready to give up on Prucha.

I hope he stays and gets an actual chance at the top 2 lines.

Ranger35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 05:50 PM
FLYLine24*

Damn, talk about a topic that has us 50/50 split on.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 07:34 PM
z1co80
The Incredible Hank

vCash: 50
Maybe if there was an option of Trading him because of the way Renney would use him.

Thats how i feel, i just dont see Renney using him in a way that would give him a chance to be effective, much like Shanny and Straka next season if they are brought back. Renney wouldnt use Shanny on the 4th line and PP and Straka on the 3rd line he would would play them minutes that younger guys should get.

Its more to do with Renney than anything plus i dont see the point for Prucha's career to stay and be used in a role that doesn't get the best out him.

z1co80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 11:55 PM
Edge

Tough to say. If Renney isn't going to use him, we need to move him because he's only going to lose value.

If Renney is going to use him, than the value we get in a trade likely won't be enough to replace his potential 25 goals.

Personally, I am torn about Prucha. Part of me would've liked to have seen him used more. The other part of me thinks his best scoring days might already be behind him and that because of his size/style of play, his numbers will keep going down until he's an afterthought by his 30th birthday (aka Mike York).

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 08:35 AM
NYRangers17

I'm also torn. i think if Renney played him more this year i think he could produce BUT if we can package him in a deal to fill a need like a puck moving defenseman or a sniper to play with Gomez i would be happy to do so.

NYRangers17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 10:04 AM
beastly115

The more I think about it, the more I'd like to see Prucha played on Gomez's wing, at least for the first couple weeks. Just see if he can get going. Who knows what Renney is going to do, but I'd like to see Prucha get some decent icetime with Gomez and some PP time. If he doesn't get back to form, then cut our losses.

It's just hard to believe that a guy can go from 30 goals, to 22, then to what, 7 in 3 seasons. We all know he was scratched a lot and wasn't given a lot of PP time. Give him some icetime to prove himself.

Personally, I'd rather try to fill the holes on our team from within than having to overpay for a Ryder/Malone.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 10:34 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
The more I think about it, the more I'd like to see Prucha played on Gomez's wing, at least for the first couple weeks. Just see if he can get going. Who knows what Renney is going to do, but I'd like to see Prucha get some decent icetime with Gomez and some PP time. If he doesn't get back to form, then cut our losses.

It's just hard to believe that a guy can go from 30 goals, to 22, then to what, 7 in 3 seasons. We all know he was scratched a lot and wasn't given a lot of PP time. Give him some icetime to prove himself.

Personally, I'd rather try to fill the holes on our team from within than having to overpay for a Ryder/Malone.
i agree i think he needs a shot, however he doesnt fit the bill on what forwards need to be in the system in place....hard-hitting, gritty, good all-around players who will battle.....prucha battles hard but rarely wins as his size is a large factor(and i am not knocking him as i think on a team like tampa he could score over 20 goals again)...i just think players like korpikoski, callahan, even dawes have more to give in this system....they can shoot and go hard to the net and can battle in the corners better than prucha can....and those are the guys he is battling with...

on the note that he should play with gomez, that would be a horrible line...prucha cant hold onto the puck and do anthing with it...he cant shoot very well, he scores a lot of his goals as junk goals in front of the net whereas gomez needs a player who can a) control the puck down low(big body) and go stand in front of the goal, or b) be able to accept a pass on the rush and shoot immediately or make a nice pass back(and be able to keep up with him not always accept a drop pass because he is always 10 feet behind him).....i just dont see prucha working out on tis team unfortunately.....it is sad, but i want him traded for his sake as i think he could be a goal scorer again somewhere else like said tampa who needs secondary scoring

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 08:14 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
I've never seen a poll this close on this board.

I said move him... I know he's talented but I just get the feeling that he'll never be given another real opportunity to succeed here; or that if he is, he'll likely see reduced minutes if he struggles for any period of time.

I don't want to give him up for nothing, but I think it's time for us to part ways.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 09:59 AM
Nich

he needs to add 10 lbs of muscle this off-season....

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 10:15 AM
UnderPSI
Formerly YMMV

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I've never seen a poll this close on this board.

I said move him... I know he's talented but I just get the feeling that he'll never be given another real opportunity to succeed here; or that if he is, he'll likely see reduced minutes if he struggles for any period of time.

I don't want to give him up for nothing, but I think it's time for us to part ways.

Agreed.

That and Im waiting for him to get ripped in half during one of the body hits he receives.

UnderPSI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 10:51 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
he needs to add 10 lbs of muscle this off-season....
Easily. 15 lbs would probably be the magic number IMO. I just don't see him being able to put on more than a few lbs. He just doesn't have the frame for it.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 11:18 AM
Dredden
JT Miller

Keep Him on Gomez wing and see if he produces if not i would trade him at the deadline.

Dredden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 12:05 PM
Fletch

The fate of Prucha...

depends on who this team is able to attract in the offseason. If he can't get meaningful PP time and play with a playmaking centerman, he doesn't have much value to this team. If Renney wants him to be the guy on a third or fourth line who might contribute offense to that line to increase the production on bottom lines, then he should be traded because that ain't happening.

The notion that he needs to gain wait is one that should go away - it's not that easy for a slim guy to gain weight and it doesn't mean he won't be effective after the weight gain. I'm a little less weary about his size than others. He does get knocked around a lot - but he does make the play prior to getting knocked down and gets up fast enough to not really miss a beat. My concern is really with his ability to handle the puck and the fact (or at least my opinion that I'm stating as a fact) that he needs to play with guys who can get him the puck to shoot in order to be successful (meaning, he doesn't create a lot on his own, which in case it may not matter who's brought in since he would be gone).

At $1.5MM, I think you have a guy who can (or will under the right circumstances) score more than 20 goals in an 82 game season, and perhaps even a bit more than that, while playing about 15 minutes per game. He would have to play with Gomez, however, and the question becomes is that the kind of economics this team seeks? And I think it depends on who is brought in (and what his draft day value might be).

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 12:22 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
depends on who this team is able to attract in the offseason. If he can't get meaningful PP time and play with a playmaking centerman, he doesn't have much value to this team. If Renney wants him to be the guy on a third or fourth line who might contribute offense to that line to increase the production on bottom lines, then he should be traded because that ain't happening.

The notion that he needs to gain wait is one that should go away - it's not that easy for a slim guy to gain weight and it doesn't mean he won't be effective after the weight gain. I'm a little less weary about his size than others. He does get knocked around a lot - but he does make the play prior to getting knocked down and gets up fast enough to not really miss a beat. My concern is really with his ability to handle the puck and the fact (or at least my opinion that I'm stating as a fact) that he needs to play with guys who can get him the puck to shoot in order to be successful (meaning, he doesn't create a lot on his own, which in case it may not matter who's brought in since he would be gone).

At $1.5MM, I think you have a guy who can (or will under the right circumstances) score more than 20 goals in an 82 game season, and perhaps even a bit more than that, while playing about 15 minutes per game. He would have to play with Gomez, however, and the question becomes is that the kind of economics this team seeks? And I think it depends on who is brought in (and what his draft day value might be).

I partially agree with you here, Fletch. However, I think a lot of Prucha's puck handling ability has to do with his lack of size. He is an incredibly shifty player with great hands, but it doesn't take much to knock him off the puck, and if he doesn't have the puck, he can't generate much offense. I do agree that he would benefit from playing with guys who can get him the puck, but he's shown plenty of moments where he clearly generated an opportunity on his own.

I originally voted that Prucha should be traded, but I wouldn't be opposed to him staying around if he could see some time on the Dubi - Jagr line. I can only imagine how many of those blown chances by Straka in the playoffs would have been in the back of the net had Prucha, or any sniper, been letting it go.

I think thats where Prucha is going to excel, and has excelled in the past, on a line with two larger forwards who will cycle and draw double coverage, allowing Petr to get open for a shot. Similar to Shannahan, but much more mobile. How many times in his first two seasons did we see him circling around the cage and slapping a one-timer into the open net when an opposing d-man forgot about him?

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 12:48 PM
Fletch

I thought that his size..

may be a reason for the puckhandling, but later thought against that notion. He's an awkward skater too, especially with the puck. The puck just doesn't stick onto his stick too well. He has a good shot (that he doesn't use enough); he actually does pretty well on the cycle when his linemates are cycling (despite falling down), but get him out in the open and have him do something other than push the puck back and it gets a bit dicey. I had noticed this when he first began playing in the NHL and pretty much ignored the issue. A couple seasons later and it actually appears as if he's gotten worse, almost as if his hands and thinking in his head aren't on the same page. Unlike his size, this is an area in which he can acutally improve upon and unfortunately he hasn't.

Old
06-09-2008, 11:03 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

I think people forget how many times Prucha got absolutly blasted with hits since he has become a Ranger. I think maybe that's one of the reason his development kinda regressed. I also think some of those hits have hurt the Rangers in a few road games, those hits have changed the momentum of the games.

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 12:36 AM
KotsyJr
49ERS/NYR/RAPS/JAYS

vCash: 873
I would love to see Prucha be able to bounce back and perform well. But I'm not so sure it'll happen. I agree with most of the general consensus on here, he needs to put on weight.

KotsyJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 05:44 AM
NorthlandPro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
may be a reason for the puckhandling, but later thought against that notion. He's an awkward skater too, especially with the puck. The puck just doesn't stick onto his stick too well. He has a good shot (that he doesn't use enough); he actually does pretty well on the cycle when his linemates are cycling (despite falling down), but get him out in the open and have him do something other than push the puck back and it gets a bit dicey. I had noticed this when he first began playing in the NHL and pretty much ignored the issue. A couple seasons later and it actually appears as if he's gotten worse, almost as if his hands and thinking in his head aren't on the same page. Unlike his size, this is an area in which he can acutally improve upon and unfortunately he hasn't.
He was never billed as a guy who could stickhandle through a team. His forte has always been and still is the forecheck. That is why he is effective on the cycle. Should we have gotten rid of Jagr because he can't transport the puck? Jagr was lost without Nylander. It is a matter of putting the right players together who complement each other. Prucha can score. But playing 6-8 minutes doesn't cut it no matter who the player is.

NorthlandPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 08:58 AM
Fletch

It's not only about transporting the puck...

it's about being able to move it within the offensive zone too, and considering Jagr has the puck stuck to his stick for a lot of minutes in a game while in the offensive zone, I don't think the analogy makes sense. And Jagr's a bit better at taking a pass while moving into the offensive zone than Prucha, who too often loses control off the pass.

Old
06-10-2008, 12:40 PM
mattyd99

I think Prucha's biggest problem is he needs to play with Jagr to be productive but Renney is reluctant to put them on the same line because they are both RW's and both aren't the best defensive forwards. Now on the PP that doesn't matter but he just isn't high enough on the depth chart to make it to the PP as guys like Dawes and Callahan are getting the chances he once had. It's a shame because he looked like a 2nd line player and now is probably going to need Shanahan and Straka to leave to be anything more then a depth guy.

mattyd99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 01:07 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyd99 View Post
I think Prucha's biggest problem is he needs to play with Jagr to be productive but Renney is reluctant to put them on the same line because they are both RW's and both aren't the best defensive forwards. Now on the PP that doesn't matter but he just isn't high enough on the depth chart to make it to the PP as guys like Dawes and Callahan are getting the chances he once had. It's a shame because he looked like a 2nd line player and now is probably going to need Shanahan and Straka to leave to be anything more then a depth guy.
true but when Ryan Hollweg beats u out for ice time, there is a problem. i dont wanna hear about hollweg being a better 4th liner, yea that may be true but prucha at least has skill and aint dumb like hollweg is.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 01:09 PM
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCallahan43 View Post
true but when Ryan Hollweg beats u out for ice time, there is a problem. i dont wanna hear about hollweg being a better 4th liner, yea that may be true but prucha at least has skill and aint dumb like hollweg is.
so still don't get that offensive skill doesn't help the fourth line at all?

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 01:09 PM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyd99 View Post
1. Prucha didn't play with Jagr during his 30-goal season, except on the power play.
2. Prucha plays both wings, but played primarily left wing during his rookie, 30-goal season.
3. It's Jagr who doesn't think Prucha's game suits his playing style, that's why Prucha doesn't play on Jagr's line.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 01:20 PM
Fletch

squishy...

I think your statements should be modified slightly. Prucha didn't play extensively with Jagr during his 30-goal campaign, except for on the PP (and even then, he played in only 68 games and was on the top unit for, perhaps, 75% at the most). He did bounce off Jagr's line a few times (as well as Betts', Ruchin's, etc.). Most notably towards the end of the season when Ruca was hurt and the top line was struggling. They played quite well together and the line started going again and when Ruca returned, Prucha went back to the other lines. I'd guess that Prucha played between 10-15 games with Jagr during that season.