HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Matsumoto

Old
06-06-2008, 09:49 PM
canucks19

vCash: 500
Matsumoto

Do you think he will get an even chance to make the team? I mean its kind of the same situation as Potulny. What is his potential? What trade value does he have?

canucks19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 09:53 PM
ELab2

NOT the same situation as Potulny. Matsumoto is an excellent two way player who hasn't had any significant health problems and he's 100% effort.

I do not think he will make the team this year but I think he'll be the Flyers 3rd line center in 09' or 10'.

Moving Potulny cut our center depth solidly and certainly it did on the Phantoms, so I seriously doubt they'd move Matsumoto for anything less than a serious overpayment which is unlikely.

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 12:24 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELab2 View Post
I do not think he will make the team this year but I think he'll be the Flyers 3rd line center in 09' or 10'.

Carter-Briere-Richards.

Unless someone moves to wing, doubtful.

He'll get a good look in preseason, but best case scenario for him is to be the first callup.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 12:31 AM
ELab2

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Carter-Briere-Richards.

Unless someone moves to wing, doubtful.

He'll get a good look in preseason, but best case scenario for him is to be the first callup.
If that doesn't happen now it will happen in a couple of years. Carter and Richards are going to demand a LOT of ice time. The only way to get all three good ice time is to move one to wing. That's a whole different debate.

But I do believe one will move to wing which will open up that 3rd line center spot.

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 12:52 AM
JesterOnly

vCash: 841
I'm going to say 'likely' out of training camp and more likely during the season. He is, as said above, a solid two-way player who is 100% effort and could be the effort spark for the fourth line to replace Kapanen. Plus, he's a relatively cheap contract, which I'm sure the Flyers are taking into consideration.

As for trade value, the Flyers would want more for him than anyone would offer. Energy guys like him that are unproven don't demand much value in trade talks, and the trade value would be nowhere near the value that the player would have to the team. I mean, Thoreson got waived last year. How much would you offer for Torrey Mitchell? Not as much as he's worth to the Sharks and that's after a year to prove himself. How much would you have offered for him last offseason? Add all that to the fact that Potulny just got moved, so the Flyers don't have a tremendous amount of quality Centers for depth (though I find it kind of ironic that Center is our most loaded position, in my opinion).

JesterOnly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 07:38 AM
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies

every player in camp has a shot to make the team....

i dont think he'll make it this year though

RJ8812* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 08:24 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucks19 View Post
Do you think he will get an even chance to make the team? I mean its kind of the same situation as Potulny. What is his potential? What trade value does he have?
With Richard signed to 12 years deal, Briere signed to 8 and looks like Homer does not want to trade Carter (good move), I do not think we will see Matsumoto any time soon. Moving one of 3 to the wing just to give Matsumoto a roster spot makes no sense. Unless he plays LW or RW but even then he would have to outplay a lot of good roster players. Lupul, Gagne, Hartnell, Upshall or Umberger if they are not traded, Downie, Giroux and JVR coming up soon.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 11:03 AM
daynus

as stated matsumoto would end up on the 4th line. that is a very reasonable posibility.

daynus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 12:49 PM
catchthesun

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucks19 View Post
No, it is not the same situation as Pots. Potulny would have made the team if not for his various bursa sac injuries, and he got buried in the depth chart because he couldn't stay healthy. I'm still not totally convinced he's not worthy of the NHL - he has it if he can stay healthy.

As for Matsumoto, this season was his first full season with the Phantoms, and he's well liked with the fans and most likely the organization. He plays a responsible game, as I've said, and with the organization's depth at C, I can see him manning the fourth line next year. Long term, he could move up to the third line if Briere is converted to wing. There is no doubt in my mind he has decent NHL abilities. No doubt.

Trade value? Maybe a pick. He's not really one you'd use as the centerpiece of a prospect trade.

catchthesun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 01:12 PM
mikedifr

I see matsumoto as the replacement for Dowd whether that be this year or next year. Eventually, he could potentially be a 3rd line center, but more likely I see him as a very very solid checking center on the 4th line who can fill in on the above lines when needed.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote