HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Who has taken a home-town discount?

Old
06-09-2008, 01:33 PM
oilsands
shut 'em down.

vCash: 500
Who has taken a home-town discount?

With all this frenzied talk of players in Pittsburgh taking hometown discounts, I would like to find out who has taken hometown discounts since the lockout.

This could be highly debated, as not everyone agrees as to what a home-town discount is. But lets make a list of every player since the lockout to take a discount for one reason or another:

Ps: when I say took a discount, I mean at the time of signing. My example is Darcy Tucker, 31, 4 year extension @ $3 million a year. At the time, it seemed like he could have gotten $1 million a year more.

Who are your examples?

oilsands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 01:34 PM
DownInFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskyoil View Post
With all this frenzied talk of players in Pittsburgh taking hometown discounts, I would like to find out who has taken hometown discounts since the lockout.

This could be highly debated, as not everyone agrees as to what a home-town discount is. But lets make a list of every player since the lockout to take a discount for one reason or another:

Ps: when I say took a discount, I mean at the time of signing. My example is Darcy Tucker, 31, 4 year extension @ $3 million a year. At the time, it seemed like he could have gotten $1 million a year more.

Who are your examples?
Robyn Regher and Jarome Iginla took discounts to stay with the Flames.

DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 01:38 PM
Passchendaele

Joe Thornton.

Passchendaele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 01:40 PM
93xxGilmourxx93

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskyoil View Post

Who are your examples?
Mats Sundin only made 5.5 last season, he could have easily demanded 7

Crosby's another one - while it's hard to say 8.7 million is a "discount", seeing as how he's touted as being the future of hockey and all, he could have asked for the max and someone would have given it to him for sure

93xxGilmourxx93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 01:40 PM
Fictional Realism
Moustache Power

vCash: 894
Sami Salo and Willie Mitchell theoretically could have gotten $1-2 million more then they are currently making if they legitimately pursued the Open Market I would think. So maybe them? Though the NTC's are kind of a pain.

Fictional Realism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 01:45 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Chris Clark for the Caps, maybe. ~2.6 for 3 years, coming off a 30 goal season. Not a huge discount, of course, but I think it's something.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 01:48 PM
senators101

I dont know how long ago it was signed, but Alfie at 4.6 or so is a nice bargain.
Phillips at 3.5, and Volch at 2.5 seem pretty good as well.

senators101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 01:48 PM
lucscaps

Marty Brodeur took the home team discount with the devils.

lucscaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 01:49 PM
Indrew

I'm not saying it is one, but what do you think about Chris Phillips contract?

Signed near the end of the 2007 season: 3.5M a season for 4 seasons. I think he could've received a bit more as a free agent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by senators101 View Post
I dont know how long ago it was signed, but Alfie at 4.6 or so is a nice bargain.
Phillips at 3.5, and Volch at 2.5 seem pretty good as well.
He signed before the lockout and the rollback. I can't remember exactly how much it was before that, but at the time it wasn't as big of a discount. Having him at a 4.414 cap hit is great value for your dollar though.

Indrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 01:50 PM
oilsands
shut 'em down.

How about Ales Hemsky in 05/06? Would have been 22 at the time, signed a 6 year $4 mill/year deal with the Oilers.

oilsands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 01:53 PM
S.S. Giggy
RIP 1974-2011

Teemu Selanne took $4 mil after 05-06 to stay with the Ducks, could've easily commanded $6 mil.

S.S. Giggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 02:19 PM
King RAZZ
Los Cucarachas

Frolov and Brown...

King RAZZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 02:22 PM
PhoPhan

Shane Doan signed with the Coyotes for $5 million a year when it was likely he could have gotten $1-2 million more on the open market.

PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 02:25 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
Shane Doan signed with the Coyotes for $5 million a year when it was likely he could have gotten $1-2 million more on the open market.
$4.55m/year to make it even better.

Would have gotten at least $5.5m on the market, possibly more seeing that Ryan Smyth went for $6.25m.

mouser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 02:31 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93xxGilmourxx93 View Post
Mats Sundin only made 5.5 last season, he could have easily demanded 7
Sundin's situation was rather different though. The team had an option year for 07-08 they could have elected that would have only paid him $4.56mil. However he would have carried a $6.33m cap hit.

By negotiating a new one year deal with Sundin instead of exercising the option year the Leafs paid him a higher salary of $5.5m which also dropped his cap hit to $5.5m.

mouser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 02:37 PM
RE-HABS

Although Tucker was a dud last year he could have demanded more elsewhere when he was a UFA, luckly for Toronto he signed for less and the buyout won't be as high as it could have been if he demanded what he could have gotten on the open market.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 02:56 PM
DevilsFan38

Brodeur, Elias, and Langenbrunner all could probably have gotten more from other teams.

I think I remember hearing Rafalski got an offer even higher than Detroit's from some other team, but I'm not positive on that one.

DevilsFan38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 02:58 PM
DG

Spezza, Heatley, Phillips and Volchenkov for Ottawa.

DG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 03:15 PM
detredWINgs

Believe it or not, there are not a lot of players out there that take serious paycuts to stay with the hometeam for the 1-2 million dollar discounts that are suggested in this thread. VERY FEW players take those sorts of discounts, and when they do, its because theyve been with a team for a significant period of time, and theyre superstars whose numbers couldve reached league maximums on the open market. There are very FEW players who take millions less to stay on the team they are on. The only guys I can think of off the top of my head that took legit discounts to get it done are Niedermayer, Lidstrom, Brodeur, Thornton, and Iginla. And all of those players are either the faces of their franchise or have been with their team for a lifetime. The only exception is Scott, who wanted to play with his brother more than anything.

Hometown discounts are not guys who signed ok deals a few years ago that now look like steals. It looks like Nash signed a good deal now, but when it was reported that he was making 5.4M, that was more money than it appears now.

Also, hometown discounts are not any of your UFAs that decide to re-sign with your team. By nature of the overpaying UFA market, ANY player that re-signs with his team pre-July 1st is going to be taking less than he couldve on the open market, because theres no bidding war for GMs to contend with.

I think people get way too hopeful about UFAs re-signing at "hometown discounts". I read in the Detroit Free Press the other day that some reporter thought Stuart would re-sign for 3M just cause he won the cup with the Wings. Not happening. If Stuart and similar players take paycuts to stay with a certain team, itll be more like a 250k paycut, not a 1.25M paycut.

detredWINgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 03:17 PM
detredWINgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsFan38 View Post
Brodeur, Elias, and Langenbrunner all could probably have gotten more from other teams.

I think I remember hearing Rafalski got an offer even higher than Detroit's from some other team, but I'm not positive on that one.
He did. But its more likely that it was something like 6.5 over 4 years, instead of 6M over 5 years.

detredWINgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 07:06 PM
God
Free Citizen

At the time...

Naslund, Ohlund, Salo, Mitchell. Naslund was one of the best players in the league when he signed that contract. Ohlund, Salo, and Mitchell are still cheap.

God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 07:14 PM
frag2

Marty comes to mind. I think his reasoning was that although $5.2 million was on the low side of someone his caliber, the long term security and the fact that he will get paid that much even if he tanks, was good for him and his family. It was a steal back then....even bigger one now.

The one person that comes to mind that NEVER takes a home town discount was Ryan Smyth. He always fought tooth and nail to get his money's worth....definitely not hometwon discount. There was a post on the Oilers board that calculated how much of his salary took on the the budget, and how big each increase was each year.

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 07:39 PM
krantan

Quote:
Originally Posted by detredWINgs View Post
The only guys I can think of off the top of my head that took legit discounts to get it done are Niedermayer, Lidstrom, Brodeur, Thornton, and Iginla.
What are you talking about? Niedermayer and Lidstrom both got the max. Thornton and Iginla might have gotten more on the open market, but neither one of them were UFAs. A bird in the hand is worth 12 in the bush for a professional athlete whose career could end with every shift. Early extension != home town discount on the UFA market. Brodour took a legitimate discount, but that is just about the only one I know of where the player gave up on more then $1-2m on a multi-year deal.

krantan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 07:48 PM
It Kills Me

Pavel Kubina had better offers, but took $5M from the Leafs to play with his buddy Tomas Kaberle.

The NTC five all probably took discounts for TO, likely the reason they won't waive them.

It Kills Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 07:54 PM
LosT_PropheT

I'm amazed Kariya/Selanne going to Colorado wasn't the first one stated...

They didn't turn out well as well all remember, but at the time that was a huge discount..they made what $7 million combined?? Kariya made like 1.5 or something like that..

LosT_PropheT is offline   Reply With Quote