HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chris Higgins, where is the love?

Old
06-08-2008, 02:14 PM
mcphee

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post

Ok joke aside,

I think the fans here want to see every players performing at their true potential, for Higgins this potential is still much higher than what he showed on the ice. It's only a matter of time imo, players like Higgins who don't have all the talent in the world but play with their head and physical abilities often take more time to figure out the small details for good production. No worries, he will do it in time. But, all that being said, at one point in time he might become more valuable on the trade market than on our team(if he doesnt play closer to his potential), particularly if Paccioretty develops very well.
You kind of get into the magical territory that lies bewteen potential and expectation. 27 goals makes us think of 35, 20 makes us think of ....

How many posts do we see where we suggest that player x's ofense can 'easily' be replaced by young guy 'y' ?

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 02:25 PM
Lone Rogue

This is why the Higgins love disappeared:

"Higgins scores 23 goals in 05-06"

THIS KID IS AMAZING. HE'LL SCORE AT LEAST 30 NEXT YEAR.

"Higgins scores 22 goals in 06-07"

HE WAS INJURED FOR 21 GAMES, THATS WHY. HE'LL BREAK OUT NEXT YEAR FOR SURE!

"Higgins considers himself able to score 40 goals in 07-08"

OMG I LOVE IT, HE IS SO GONNA DO IT! YOU ARE AMAZING HIGGINS! I LOVE YOU I LOVE YOU YOU ARE THE BEST FUTURE CAPTAIN!

"Higgins *only* scores 27 on a healthy season, despite losing 30 goal scoring Michael Ryder on his wing and being shuffled to the third line a few games. Higgins also proves to be a very vocal player, expressing his opinions."

HIGGINS DISAPPOINTED ME. HE IS A THIRD LINE PLAYER AT BEST. HE SHOULD STOP TALKING TO THE PRESS AND FOCUS ON HIS GAME. HE HITS THE POST TOO MUCH. HIS +/- IMPROVED? I DON'T CARE. TAKE THE A OFF OF HIM, HE DOESN'T DESERVE IT. GIVE IT TO HIS BEST FRIEND MIKE KOMISAREK, MIKE I LOVE YOU I LOVE YOU YOU ARE THE BEST FUTURE CAPTAIN!

Hope that sums it up for everyone.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 04:00 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Yeah, Higgins sucks.. This team has had an overabundance of 25+ goal scorers on this team since '95.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 05:13 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

I want to see a Higgins/Chipchura/Lapierre line. That could end up being the best 3rd line in hockey, with Higgins having an opportunity to put up offensive stats. Not that I consider Higgins a third liner (since when a bad thing? Great 3rd liners are hard to come by and win teams Championships), I just think that line would be an EXCELLENT hockey line.

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 06:01 PM
tooley99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post

OMG I LOVE IT, HE IS SO GONNA DO IT! YOU ARE AMAZING HIGGINS! I LOVE YOU I LOVE YOU YOU ARE THE BEST FUTURE CAPTAIN!

"Higgins *only* scores 27 on a healthy season, despite losing 30 goal scoring Michael Ryder on his wing and being shuffled to the third line a few games. Higgins also proves to be a very vocal player, expressing his opinions."

HIGGINS DISAPPOINTED ME. HE IS A THIRD LINE PLAYER AT BEST. HE SHOULD STOP TALKING TO THE PRESS AND FOCUS ON HIS GAME. HE HITS THE POST TOO MUCH. HIS +/- IMPROVED? I DON'T CARE. TAKE THE A OFF OF HIM, HE DOESN'T DESERVE IT. GIVE IT TO HIS BEST FRIEND MIKE KOMISAREK, MIKE I LOVE YOU I LOVE YOU YOU ARE THE BEST FUTURE CAPTAIN!

I hope you're the only one thinking like that

tooley99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 06:24 PM
mcphee

Quote:

Been on hf awhile ehh,

so have I.

Old
06-08-2008, 06:29 PM
Uwey

Is it just me, or does there seem to be a lot dramatic over-reacting about a guy who would have been our top player not 10 seasons ago??

Uwey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 07:21 PM
stjrandy

There certainly has been a lot of drama but in a way it's justified. Higgins looks like he should have much better numbers than he has ever generated in the NHL. He's one of those players who looks great while not really generating lots of points or offense while doing it. Some players have terribly "lazy" looking games and yet at the end of the season have more points in the bank. It's telling that Kostitsyn in his first real season had more points than Higgins has ever had in a season. Is Higgins a worse player? I'd say probably not but he doesn't have the same overall ability that Kostitsyn has. As for potential I see Higgins as a 2nd tier LW in the league. I highly doubt we'll ever see him hit for more than 65 points but he'll be a really valuable player for his other attributes.

stjrandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 07:31 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by stjrandy View Post
There certainly has been a lot of drama but in a way it's justified. Higgins looks like he should have much better numbers than he has ever generated in the NHL. He's one of those players who looks great while not really generating lots of points or offense while doing it. Some players have terribly "lazy" looking games and yet at the end of the season have more points in the bank. It's telling that Kostitsyn in his first real season had more points than Higgins has ever had in a season. Is Higgins a worse player? I'd say probably not but he doesn't have the same overall ability that Kostitsyn has. As for potential I see Higgins as a 2nd tier LW in the league. I highly doubt we'll ever see him hit for more than 65 points but he'll be a really valuable player for his other attributes.
That's all well and good and I agree with a lot of what you say, but I think we too readily assume that there are great numbers of lw'ers out there putting up 65 +.

Old
06-08-2008, 07:39 PM
Habskrieg

i <3 Higgs

Give him some time... Or just give him a break. COME ON!
We all remember how many were 2006-7 season with Kovy?
Yea well, I'm positive Higgins had the same momentum this season (probably including Ryder, but lets not go there). Let's see how things go for him in the upcoming season, you never know.

Habskrieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 09:32 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
That's all well and good and I agree with a lot of what you say, but I think we too readily assume that there are great numbers of lw'ers out there putting up 65 +.
This is exactly what I think. If he were a RW, I might consider letting him go, or trading him.

However, he's a productive player at a position that traditionally and currently isn't as productive a position as C or RW. Especially among natural LWs.

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 10:21 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post
This is exactly what I think. If he were a RW, I might consider letting him go, or trading him.

However, he's a productive player at a position that traditionally and currently isn't as productive a position as C or RW. Especially among natural LWs.
Funny thing is, we're loaded with talented young LWers. Not so much at the other forward spots...

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 11:15 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
Funny thing is, we're loaded with talented young LWers. Not so much at the other forward spots...
Who are you talking about? All the right wingers we play at left wing because we have no open spots?

I'll run down the usual suspects:
Gui is 1) not a natural left wing, though he's shown aptitude for that position at the NHL level.
Andrei Kostitsyn just isn't a left winger at all, and only plays there because it's opposite Kovalev. He doesn't look comfortable doing it, and has even picked up the wrong assignment because of it.
Sergei Kostitsyn, while listed as a left winger (why?) didn't play it in the OHL, didn't play it in the AHL, doesn't play it now, and unless he's been playing left wing internationally (which is possible, I don't know) I wouldn't consider him a left wing.

Max Pacioretty is the only notable left winger (aside from Higgins) in Montreal's system that I would consider plays that position naturally. The rest are converts, and while some will inevitably play on the left for much of their careers (Gui notably, Andrei maybe), Higgins is the only professional player we have who looks comfortable doing it.

Bottom line is you don't trade Higgins unless you're getting a better left winger back (ideally two-way), or a superstar caliber player at one of the other forward positions.

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 01:09 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

I don't like this player.

I don't say he is a bad player. I even think that he is a good player. However, do you win a Stanley Cup when you play this type of player 18 minutes a game? No.

He is not a player who makes the difference. And in the past few years, I have been blaming Saku, but did Saku ever play with another difference maker with the Habs? No.

Higgins is a player who products when his linemates product. If the Habs have a bad season, Higgins will have a bad season. Higgins is not a leader. He is a player in the mix, but in no way he deserves the A more than Markov, Komisarek or Hamrlik. He is a player who is getting much more attention than he should.

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 01:17 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamrlikTheStud View Post
I don't like this player.

I don't say he is a bad player. I even think that he is a good player. However, do you win a Stanley Cup when you play this type of player 18 minutes a game? No.

He is not a player who makes the difference. And in the past few years, I have been blaming Saku, but did Saku ever play with another difference maker with the Habs? No.

Higgins is a player who products when his linemates product. If the Habs have a bad season, Higgins will have a bad season. Higgins is not a leader. He is a player in the mix, but in no way he deserves the A more than Markov, Komisarek or Hamrlik. He is a player who is getting much more attention than he should.
We've done this dance before so I won't discuss the guy's play. I'm curious as to why you feel he is undeserving of being an alternate captain. He was chosen by a staff that includes Bob Gainey, Guy Carbonneau, Kirk Muller and Doug Jarvis, all leaders and known for understanding 'what it takes'. They chose him.

I would never state the a guy 'wasn't a leader', in the face of better hockey minds than mine, simply because I didn't like him.

Old
06-09-2008, 01:41 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

Quote:
We've done this dance before so I won't discuss the guy's play. I'm curious as to why you feel he is undeserving of being an alternate captain. He was chosen by a staff that includes Bob Gainey, Guy Carbonneau, Kirk Muller and Doug Jarvis, all leaders and known for understanding 'what it takes'. They chose him.

I would never state the a guy 'wasn't a leader', in the face of better hockey minds than mine, simply because I didn't like him.
Because you think he acts like a leader on and off the ice... It's hard to judge how he acts off the ice, but basing our thoughts on the interviews he gives, it's very poor... And on the ice, the guy is just not playing 1 game out of 2. I don't get why everybody here thinks he is a hardworking example...

Komisarek is a hardworking example.
Bouillon is.
Koivu is.
Kovalev was this year.
Bégin is.
Kostopoulos is.
Gorges is one heck of a hardworking machine.

Higgins? Half of the time, he just plays the same way as Samsonov did here in Montreal. Lot of deking, lot of skating, but nothing concrete. Plus he can't shoot.

Do you want the young players to take their example on Higgins' play?

There is 10 players on this team I would give the "A" to before Higgins. As for Carbonneau, the guy was a great leader, but it doesn't mean all his decisions are gold.

Basing on your thoughts, would that mean we should trade Koivu because Lafleur said it and was a great leader/player?

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 02:07 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamrlikTheStud View Post
Because you think he acts like a leader on and off the ice... It's hard to judge how he acts off the ice, but basing our thoughts on the interviews he gives, it's very poor... And on the ice, the guy is just not playing 1 game out of 2. I don't get why everybody here thinks he is a hardworking example...

Komisarek is a hardworking example.
Bouillon is.
Koivu is.
Kovalev was this year.
Bégin is.
Kostopoulos is.
Gorges is one heck of a hardworking machine.

Higgins? Half of the time, he just plays the same way as Samsonov did here in Montreal. Lot of deking, lot of skating, but nothing concrete. Plus he can't shoot.

Do you want the young players to take their example on Higgins' play?

There is 10 players on this team I would give the "A" to before Higgins. As for Carbonneau, the guy was a great leader, but it doesn't mean all his decisions are gold.

Basing on your thoughts, would that mean we should trade Koivu because Lafleur said it and was a great leader/player
?
Not at all. Lafleur has a gig giving opinions and if they're controversial all the better. It doesn't make them accurate or anymore valid than yours.

As for Higgins, the guy was chosen because guys, not Guy, thought he was deserving. Saying he can't shoot doesn't mean much, he has a good enough wrist shot to score from the circle, he has no slap shot to speak of but he plays a good north south game and puts up solid results.

You somehow seem to believe that a another players goals somehow count for more than Higgins. OK. If fans think a guy should score 35 and he puts up 25, it doesn't make the 25 worth less.

Old
06-09-2008, 02:26 PM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
He was chosen by a staff that includes Bob Gainey, Guy Carbonneau, Kirk Muller and Doug Jarvis
Bob Gainey: Canadiens captain (81-89)
Guy Carbonneau: Canadiens captain (89-94)
Kirk Muller: Devils captain (87-91), Canadiens captain (94-95)

Yeah, those guys have no idea what makes a good captain.

And tooley99, sadly, I don't think that but many people do. Take HamrlikTheStud as a good example. I think Chris Higgins is a future Canadiens captain, still has the potential to score 40 and I hope to see him for years and years to come. Call me ridiculous, but I'm proud to see a young guy like him speak his mind.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 02:42 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Bob Gainey: Canadiens captain (81-89)
Guy Carbonneau: Canadiens captain (89-94)
Kirk Muller: Devils captain (87-91), Canadiens captain (94-95)

Yeah, those guys have no idea what makes a good captain.

And tooley99, sadly, I don't think that but many people do. Take HamrlikTheStud as a good example. I think Chris Higgins is a future Canadiens captain, still has the potential to score 40 and I hope to see him for years and years to come. Call me ridiculous, but I'm proud to see a young guy like him speak his mind.
It's a question of degree,imo. I was disapointed in the kid this year. He showed some flaws that were probably already there and maybe I expected more than I should have. I see things he has to improve on, and I hope he does. Still, he's a good example of the type of guy that's emerging on the team, a solid, talented young core.

I think he bought into the leader role a bit too hard at times. He put himself in a bad position, maybe a bit too front and centre. Both he and Komi are articulate and don't hide in the trainer's room when the mic's come out, but Komi is a bit more savvy. Still, they asked a young guy to assume leadership and that's part of the learning process as much as anythiong else.

There's a huge gap between what he is and what's portrayed here though. If you want to think the worst of someone, you will, simple as that.

Old
06-09-2008, 02:44 PM
Pascal

Quote:

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 03:22 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by stjrandy View Post
Kostitsyn was drafted with the expectation that he would become a high scoring winger but it took him awhile to begin scoring. Of course he benefited from playing with 2 linemates who put up the best numbers seen on the Habs in years, but I think Higgins had 1 more goal. Kostitsyn will probably break the 30 goal barrier next season and the 27 goals Higgins scored last season suggests he, too, can reach that mark. Scoring 30 goals or even 27 isn't bad. Drafting Higgins in 2002 was a good move.

Teufelsdreck is online now   Reply With Quote