HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Straka debating retirement

Old
06-09-2008, 03:44 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyd99 View Post
Only the best back-checker on the team and for your comment with him along the boards, you might want to watch some video tape over the last 3 years and then tell me Straka can't win battles along the boards. A huge thing with cycling is winning battles along the boards. It's not coincidence that Jagr, being a player who loves to cycle, loves to have Straka on his line. And oh yeah he's one of the best PK'ers on this team with a team that is stacked with him.
Straka's stellar back-checking lead to that interference call against Crysby in game 1 of the 2nd round this year. Dive or not, you just don't put yourself in a position like that.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 04:34 PM
Dredden
JT Miller

"EKLUND" has an e2 to pitt, e2 retire, e1 back with us.

Dredden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 09:53 PM
mattyd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Straka's stellar back-checking lead to that interference call against Crysby in game 1 of the 2nd round this year. Dive or not, you just don't put yourself in a position like that.
You don't just let Sidney Crosby skate through the neutral zone in a crucial time of the game like that. You have to try and cut the angle down which is what he did, but he took a penalty in the playoffs so I understand he must go, he's done, he's not what he was 2 years ago, let the youth play, fire Renney.

mattyd99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 10:02 PM
mattyd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldshot View Post
The best back-checker on the team?

Hello? Chris Drury? Scott Gomez, was by far our best all-around player in the playoffs, and for most of the regular season. Dubinsky even does a better job defensively than Straka, and he was only a rookie. Blair Betts?

I'm not going to question Straka's effort, but his defensive smarts and abilities? Not even close to the best on the team.

One of the best pk'ers on the team? The best pk'er on the team hands down are either Drury, Betts, or Girardi.

I understand everyone loves Straka, I like the guy too, but that doesn't make him the best defensive player on the team.
You know how many teams would love to have Straka on their team? You don't just toss a guy like him out the window for a poor 2nd half of the season. And yes, Gomez and Drury might be better two-way players but there also tops in the league in that category. Say what you want to about Straka but I honestly feel that if he's not back on this team next year he will be missed. He adds great depth and versatility to this team and more often than not doesn't hurt this team. If Korpikoski comes in next year and plays great then fine but personally I just don't see who can replace what he does within this team and outside in free agency (who is worth the money).

mattyd99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 10:40 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Marty Straka is an excellant defensive player. When Malik was in his unit of 5 Straka was always racing back and masking a lot of defensive mistakes on the rush.

Straka is also a skilled penalty killer (how did he break his hand this year?) he isn't the best defensive player on the team but to say he is not smart defensivly is a bit of a headscratcher...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 10:56 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyd99 View Post
You know how many teams would love to have Straka on their team? You don't just toss a guy like him out the window for a poor 2nd half of the season. And yes, Gomez and Drury might be better two-way players but there also tops in the league in that category. Say what you want to about Straka but I honestly feel that if he's not back on this team next year he will be missed. He adds great depth and versatility to this team and more often than not doesn't hurt this team. If Korpikoski comes in next year and plays great then fine but personally I just don't see who can replace what he does within this team and outside in free agency (who is worth the money).
Well said Matt, I agree. Expecting a rookie like Korpedo to come in and replace what Straka brings to this team is a bit unrealistic in my opinion. Straka does alot of things well for this team, and he will be missed if he doesn't return. I don't agree with him playing the point on the PP but I don't blame Straka for that, I blame Renney. I would love to see Straka brought back and played alongside Drury. Play them against the other teams top line every night. Unlike Shanny, Straka showed me that he still has enough in the tank to give him another shot.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote