HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2008 Draft Thread

Closed Thread

Old
06-09-2008, 03:02 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
FYI, there is a special NHL on the Fly: 2008 Combine Special on the NHL Network tonight at 8pm Eastern.
cheers! to the dvr i go!

Old
06-09-2008, 03:54 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

I'm really liking Anton Gustafsson.

Knowing how all my favorite picks are unrealistic (Tedenby, Ness).

Anton Gustafsson seems like he will be a late first round steal.

Size, good skater, skill, smarts, grit.

He may not possess the scoring prowess of Tedenby or the blazing speed, but he has everything else. And perhaps as he develops the scoring touch will come.

Yes he is a center, but perhaps one of Dubinsky, Anisimov and Gustafsson could be switched to wing.

Old
06-09-2008, 03:59 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

im done with "safe" picks. weve got a plethora of "safe" players. i want a game breaker, and im willing to take a risk on a very good player who falls.

Old
06-09-2008, 04:07 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by PukkuMikku View Post
I'm really liking Anton Gustafsson.

Knowing how all my favorite picks are unrealistic (Tedenby, Ness).

Anton Gustafsson seems like he will be a late first round steal.

Size, good skater, skill, smarts, grit.

He may not possess the scoring prowess of Tedenby or the blazing speed, but he has everything else. And perhaps as he develops the scoring touch will come.

Yes he is a center, but perhaps one of Dubinsky, Anisimov and Gustafsson could be switched to wing.
Gustafsson seems like a safe pick, plays a sound defensive game using his frame/reach. He plays Center but i'm sure he could be switched to LW as well.

I don't think Ness is unrealistic, he's a real wildcard for some team who thinks that talent will trump size. I think the size issue plays a big part in Ness not getting drafted in the top 20.

Old
06-09-2008, 04:09 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
im done with "safe" picks. weve got a plethora of "safe" players. i want a game breaker, and im willing to take a risk on a very good player who falls.
Who's a gamebreaker that falls? Beach? Petrov?

Besides those two I cant see a 'Cherapanov' happening.

Old
06-09-2008, 04:17 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Who's a gamebreaker that falls? Beach? Petrov?

Besides those two I cant see a 'Cherapanov' happening.
Cherepanov was a miracle.

There are going to be a lot of teams kicking them selves in the rear end the way we do about passing over the likes of Parise, Perry, and so on, in the infamous 2003 draft.

I agree, i don't think any sure fire game breakers will fall. I say sure fire, because any of these kids CAN turn into a game breaker. It happens: Zetterberg, Lundqvist...

If any do, though, we have to be all over them like white on rice.

Anton Gustafsson though, to me, seems like he would be a really great pick up at #20 if he is there.

Old
06-09-2008, 04:18 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Comparing Anton Gustafsson to Jared Staal, who do people like more?

Old
06-09-2008, 04:38 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
I'm a fan of Staal and think he's underrated in this draft. Too many people expecting him to be one of his brothers. If anything, we know the 3 older brothers all play a different style, so why hold Jared up to those expectations?

He's got a solid build, like a mix between Jordan and Marc. He put up points and was a leader on a bad Sudbury team at the age of 17. He's quiet and unassuming so his draft stock is not that high. But wait until he matures physically and mentally, he'll be a late 1st round steal, IMO.

Old
06-09-2008, 04:42 PM
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun

Send a message via AIM to Cynical TyranT
There's nothing saying Gustafsson cant develop a scoring touch... I mean, Zetterberg went in the 8th, didnt he?

Just saying... of COURSE its not an every day occurance... so save it if you're going to point out the rarity...

Who knows though? I'd of course like to grab up Filatov, Tedenby or Boedker first.... its just not likely.

Old
06-09-2008, 04:53 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynical TyranT View Post
There's nothing saying Gustafsson cant develop a scoring touch... I mean, Zetterberg went in the 8th, didnt he?

Just saying... of COURSE its not an every day occurance... so save it if you're going to point out the rarity...

Who knows though? I'd of course like to grab up Filatov, Tedenby or Boedker first.... its just not likely.
Zetterberg went in the 7th round, we took 5'10 Dman Arto Laatikainen 13 picks ahead of Zman

Zetterberg had the offense, the problem was he was a little scrawny swede who weighed nothing at the time of the '99 draft. Players like that are on the radar, just not very high cause so few end up working out. And i don't want to be that guy, but its true, you give me one Zetterberg and i'll show you 3 or 4 in every draft who look like he did at 18 yrs old.

In fact, we did take a scrawny kid late in the draft who showed skill in 2002 and he paid off somewhat

Old
06-09-2008, 05:27 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

I still think Ennis has the potential to be a game-breaker and he will in all likelihood still be on the board at 20. I would endorse taking him, he's definitely a high upside/high risk guy.

06-09-2008, 05:49 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan444 View Post
I still think Ennis has the potential to be a game-breaker and he will in all likelihood still be on the board at 20. I would endorse taking him, he's definitely a high upside/high risk guy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCViXcOEd5E

Looks like Canada's answer to Prucha.

Old
06-09-2008, 05:56 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCViXcOEd5E

Looks like Canada's answer to Prucha.
The reason why his size doesn't completely dissuade me from liking his is that he actually skates/stickhandles with his head up and is shift enough to avoid hits. Also, he put up great numbers in the rough-and-tumble WHL.

Old
06-09-2008, 05:57 PM
Pizza

Looks like a good player.

We just have so many small guys.

Old
06-09-2008, 06:07 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Looks like a good player.

We just have so many small guys.
Very true, but if the Rangers are looking for a top 6 potential forward with their pick, Tedenby, Dalpe, and Ennis are realistic targets. Two of the three forwards I listed are small, but just take a look and see what Martin St. Louis has done. Don't forget that these guys are 18 or younger, and will only get bigger in time.

Old
06-09-2008, 06:29 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomez to Jagr View Post
Very true, but if the Rangers are looking for a top 6 potential forward with their pick, Tedenby, Dalpe, and Ennis are realistic targets. Two of the three forwards I listed are small, but just take a look and see what Martin St. Louis has done. Don't forget that these guys are 18 or younger, and will only get bigger in time.
Yeah but Ennis isn't getting much bigger, he's just little. Which is ok, i like good skilled players no matter what size. But eventually we're gonna have to find some guys that have size or players that play like it.

Old
06-09-2008, 07:08 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
But eventually we're gonna have to find some guys that have size or players that play like it.
Generally I really agree with you. I just think that odds are, there won't be anyone at 20 who is a good pick value wise and a big forward. Maybe a case can be made for Nemisz, but that's about it. I'd rather take a highly skilled - if somewhat diminutive - player at 20 and then take a guy like Livingston, Hayes, Jenks, Adam, Jokenin, Wudrick, Stefishen, etc. later on.

Old
06-09-2008, 07:26 PM
NYR Viper

the more i read about teubert the more i like him.....seems like a big defenseman who can skate well, seems like someone who would fit well in the system and add to it...

Old
06-09-2008, 07:27 PM
Edge

Quote:
Wow did I misread that, I thought that said Jordan Staal

I think it depends on what you like more.

Upside or safety. Staal has the upside, not as much as his brothers, but upside all the same.

Gustafsson has the better odds of being an NHL'er. I just don't know if I see him as more than a third line center.

Old
06-09-2008, 07:37 PM
Edge

Quote:
Glad to see you on your game Edge, Eberle is a guy i've been talking about on here for some time now. And Gustafsson is a safe pick from this years crop. Nemisz has the size so he'll go early, he's like Greg Moore but with better skating at this age.

What are your thoughts on Jared Staal?
Eberle is a guy who I think is undervalued right now. When you look at the projected first round picks out of the CHL this year, he and Tyler Ennis scored more goals than anyone not named Stamkos.

Personally, I like Eberle more than Ennis though. Regina was about as offensivly challanged as the Rangers this season. I just think he's going to be a good NHL'er. Not a star per say, but a really solid player who will score.

Staal to me seems like a solid second round pick. His name works both for and against him. It get's him attention, probably more than a second rounder would but it also raises expectations unfairly.

Personally, I'd take him in the second round. He's a 6'3 winger who has shown he can score and is willing to work along the boards. He hasn't put it all together yet, but there is something there. Forgetting his last name for a second, you've got to take a look at a kid with his size who shows the flashes he has. You also have to set reasonable expectations.

Old
06-09-2008, 07:55 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
Eberle is a guy who I think is undervalued right now. When you look at the projected first round picks out of the CHL this year, he and Tyler Ennis scored more goals than anyone not named Stamkos.

Personally, I like Eberle more than Ennis though. Regina was about as offensivly challanged as the Rangers this season. I just think he's going to be a good NHL'er. Not a star per say, but a really solid player who will score.

Staal to me seems like a solid second round pick. His name works both for and against him. It get's him attention, probably more than a second rounder would but it also raises expectations unfairly.

Personally, I'd take him in the second round. He's a 6'3 winger who has shown he can score and is willing to work along the boards. He hasn't put it all together yet, but there is something there. Forgetting his last name for a second, you've got to take a look at a kid with his size who shows the flashes he has. You also have to set reasonable expectations.
Any insight on who the Rangers have been looking at? Might they be looking to move down? Any morsels you care to feed the hungry?

Old
06-09-2008, 08:57 PM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I stopped reading at the bold.

You obviously did not watch him from about 3/5ths of the season on and in the playoffs.

I did. I watched nearly his whole season.

Great in the first half, invisible most of the 2nd and one of the worst playoffs for a "top prospect" that I've ever seen.

Couple that with concussion issues and you want to take him over Carlson?
I was only able to see him a handful of times (5 or so), but I was honestly impressed. I liked his game, although like most, I'm admittedly not a scout. I think Edge did a better job verbalizing my feelings on the subject. To me, Carlson is more of the unknown, where Beach has proven himself against some of the top players of his own age. I just have my issues taking a player who has never performed well against the top players of his age group for a significant time - he hasn't had the chance, so we don't know. I can deal with risk if it involves going after a player who I believe has the talent to make it. I don't see taking a big risk for a guy who just hasn't done it before - who doesn't sound like he has the ceiling anyway. risk/reward.

I'm not saying Beech is god, but if he dropped then I would certainly consider trading up or perhaps just roll the dice in hopes we can nab him at 20. The concussions are a concern, but if he performs well in a physical then I would take the chance. Btw that punch he took to get the one concussion was brutal.

Josh Bailey is another guy that I think a lot of. Any idea where he might go? Sounds like 10-15 from what I can gather.. Teubert interests me as well. I guess we'll see what happens, but I think we have a big need for a young impact forward or punishing d-man.

Last edited by Barnaby: 06-09-2008 at 09:12 PM.
Old
06-09-2008, 08:58 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan444 View Post
He has some serious skill. Sweet hands, fast, slippery little player.

He reminds me of a poor mans Tedenby.

Maybe we are the poor man, and take him.

His size is of concern, however, if he can translate that skill level to the AHL and NHL that would be fantastic.

Old
06-09-2008, 09:00 PM
Edge

I wouldn't be surprised if they traded down a few spots.

Right now, from what I've heard, I don't think they'll move up unless they feel they can get a player in the 10-15 range that they MUST have.

The top seven picks are pretty set, it'll be interesting to see if there are any moves afterwards because a lot of teams have VERY different looking lists.

I've heard of Beach being as high as fifth for some teams and as low as 28 for others.

I've heard of Teubert as high as 10 and as low as 25.

My gut tells me the Rangers like Carlson. My heart hopes they don't.

Old
06-09-2008, 09:02 PM
Edge

Quote:
He has some serious skill. Sweet hands, fast, slippery little player.

He reminds me of a poor mans Tedenby.

Maybe we are the poor man, and take him.

His size is of concern, however, if he can translate that skill level to the AHL and NHL that would be fantastic.
He is way too low on a lot of lists.

If he slips it will only because of size. He's more skilled than a lot of kids projected to go in the first.

Closed Thread