HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bye Bye CBC HNIC Theme...Hello TSN Hockey Theme (CTV Wins Rights to "Hockey Song")

Old
06-09-2008, 04:58 PM
Pascal

vCash: 500
CBC are cheap *****. We pay our taxes to them and they find a way to keep Cherry on for so long, and lose the one thing that rings "hockey" for all of us.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 04:59 PM
David_99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
If only people cared this much about politics, health care, education.. such passion for a friggen song.
Yeah, I haven't heard any of these subjects in hours! Won't someone please think of the children!!!

David_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 05:11 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
Yeah, I haven't heard any of these subjects in hours! Won't someone please think of the children!!!
I always wondered about comments like the one you were responding to.

I care plenty about politics and such, but I generally don't visit hockey boards to discuss them

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 05:12 PM
Al Bundy*

Can you call this a national tragedy in Canada?

Al Bundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 05:15 PM
Rayne*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Bundy View Post
Worse things have happened.

Rayne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 05:17 PM
Firthbird

Send a message via MSN to Firthbird
Quote:
Stop whining, seriously. It will take a lil time to get used to, but eventually you will be thanking your lucky stars that TSN got the song.

Firthbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 05:18 PM
bigred50

vCash: 50
Ugh. This will be awkward.

bigred50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 05:20 PM
dlandry77

CBC gone in 5 years?? My thinking

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=2401...s=topStory_nhl

This is a link showing that CTV has bought the rights to the famous hockey night in Canada theme song.

Also with the new agreement signed with TSN (broadcasting Canadian teams) this summer and there new introduction of possibly showing canadian teams in the first round next year.

Who has a funny feeling that CBC will not be around in 5 years?

I think this is almost definate. TSN has been great and RDS has been awesome for montreal coverage. Even with some of the other Canadian teams I even think Sportsnet could grab that market like Edmonton, Vancouver and Calgary. They already broadcast almost all there games now anyway.

What are your thoughts? Everyone in these playoffs showed there displeasure when Montreal was being aired on CBC and RDS destroyed CBC in ratings.

In all seriousness I believe RDS, TSN and Sportsnet would do a better job anyway.

dlandry77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 05:21 PM
Orson

Heh, I chuckle at TSN's biased headline: "CTV saves the hockey theme".

Wow, what a gesture of good will and I bet without a thought of profit in mind. C'mon - we all know that this tune wasn't going away.

CBC blew its chance.

Orson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 05:21 PM
Iwishihadacup

Don Cherry is a tool

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 05:33 PM
Lucius

There would be a national inquiry if the CBC chose not to continue with the NHL.

I could see if dissatisfaction grows that CTV pushes for a contract to show games on their network, but the NHL will always want a presence on a Canadian "over the air" network, not just cable.

In that case, its CBC or CTV (or Global, I guess).

Old
06-09-2008, 05:36 PM
Batarnac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orson View Post
Heh, I chuckle at TSN's biased headline: "CTV saves the hockey theme".

Wow, what a gesture of good will and I bet without a thought of profit in mind. C'mon - we all know that this tune wasn't going away.

CBC blew its chance.
Totally OT, but nice avatar dude. I saw Marc Ribot live at the Jazz fest 2 years ago, with Jamaladeen Tacuma on bass for the opening and joining Medeski Martin & Wood for their set. That was pure madness, one of the best show I ever went to.

Batarnac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 05:36 PM
HabsoluteFate

I guess i'm the only one who likes this...I hated CBC and their hockey coverage...it will be nice to hear the tune on RDS...

I would have been ok with them keeping it...goes to show you where their priorities are...instead of overpaying for Cherry the money should have went towards this

HabsoluteFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 05:40 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
Idiots. They got rid of Chris Cuthbert and now they are going to get rid of the song. What a bunch of morons.

If I was TSN I'd jump on this right now... Just to piss of CBC. I'd buy the exclusive rights to the song and use it.
Wow....do I get money for this? I obviously gave them the idea....

znk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 05:43 PM
YOUTH OF HABS

Send a message via AIM to YOUTH OF HABS
i love how people are upset.

everyone on here complains that the CBC only shows leaf games during the season and there announcers are old.....

then the CBC decides it doesn't want to renew the contract and TSN steps up to the plate and keeps the song going and people are complaining.

it's just nice to know that TSN will have the song on the air years down the road when the CBC isn't even showing hockey anymore.....wake up.

YOUTH OF HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 05:43 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
If only people cared this much about politics, health care, education.. such passion for a friggen song.
OMG PEOPLE ON A HOCKEY BOARD CARE ABOUT A HOCKEY RELATED ISSUE....SURELY THEY DONT CARE ABOUT OTHER ISSUES LIKE POLITICS AND HEALTH CARE.

It's a god damn hockey board. If I want to talk health care I dont do it here....

znk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 05:53 PM
mcphee

Quote:
2 cops answered a call down the road today and the house blew up sending them to icu's. That's a tragedy.

This is just us gabbing about how CBC got into a pissing contest with a litiginous 80 yeard old woman and TSN swooping in to save the day.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 05:58 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
There would be a national inquiry if the CBC chose not to continue with the NHL.

I could see if dissatisfaction grows that CTV pushes for a contract to show games on their network, but the NHL will always want a presence on a Canadian "over the air" network, not just cable.

In that case, its CBC or CTV (or Global, I guess).
hockey has to be over the air... Maybe CTV could get a massive amount of canadian games and put more OTA tower... That would be awesome! What would be better is OTA coverage of every local markets, including Montreal. That would be sick, free local coverage for everyone. In fact, it would make the canadian market even stronger than it's already.

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 06:07 PM
Adam91

Does TSN's new 6yr deal affect the Habs to theScore rumours??

Adam91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 06:07 PM
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks

vCash: 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam91 View Post
Does TSN's new 6yr deal affect the Habs to theScore rumours??
what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
OMG PEOPLE ON A HOCKEY BOARD CARE ABOUT A HOCKEY RELATED ISSUE....SURELY THEY DONT CARE ABOUT OTHER ISSUES LIKE POLITICS AND HEALTH CARE.

It's a god damn hockey board. If I want to talk health care I dont do it here....
haha, nice post.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 06:08 PM
optimus2861

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
5 years ago, would you have said the same about SRC losing the rights to the Canadiens in French?

Yet look what we have today - SRC is out of the hockey picture all together, RDS is doing incredible business coast to coast, and Canadiens fans couldn't be happier.

3/11/2006 convinced me that HNIC is beyond saving. Let it - and CBC television - die.

optimus2861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 06:09 PM
Brisk-Illusion

I hope CBC shuts down as soon as possible, and its not because I have anything against the channel or its content.

I just don't think that tax dollars should pay for a TV station. I'd rather we spend that money on more meaningful things.

I wonder what the result would be if someone was to start a "should public dollars stop founding CBC" poll on this site.

Brisk-Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 06:11 PM
katieboo

....the hell????

katieboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 06:19 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisk-Illusion View Post
I hope CBC shuts down as soon as possible, and its not because I have anything against the channel or its content.

I just don't think that tax dollars should pay for a TV station. I'd rather we spend that money on more meaningful things.

I wonder what the result would be if someone was to start a "should public dollars stop founding CBC" poll on this site.
See, there I disagree. It is important for governments not to just concentrate on basic needs, but for a society to grow, you need to grow the society's culture.

Part of that is public broadcasting. It provides a home to grow the culture and artists. For example, without it, we wouldn't have a lot of the comedians we do in Canada.

Now, as to the contents of what's on it, I think a lot of what they do fund is crap, which is a flaw. But that's largely personal taste.

I think they should actually get out of the news business and get into the entertainment business. Show movies, TV shows, comedians, opinion, talk shows, sports, etc. from Canada and Canadians only.

Too often, they show Disney movies and concentrate on news, which while interesting and I am fully convinced independent, is not the place of a public broadcaster in my opinion.

Old
06-09-2008, 06:29 PM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
yeah without government funding we wouldn't have shows like Trailer Park Boys or Kenny VS Spenny

But it does appear CBC is going downhill

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote