HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Ville Koistinen

Old
06-05-2008, 03:18 PM
Eb0la11

vCash: 500
Ville Koistinen

Simple question: How confident are Nashville Predator fans in Ville Koistinen's game? I've heard a lot of good things about him and I am interested in hearing it from you guys? Do you think/hope he lands a full time job next year? What is his ceiling? Thanks!

Eb0la11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 03:34 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Koistinen does remind me a lot of Timonen. He was really indecisive at first but he started to trust his instincts more and really came around as the season went on and I want to keep him around for the sake of the power play. He's got a good, low point shot that generates a lot of rebounds and he and Zidlicky worked wonders for the PP unit when they were together. They even played decent at even strength. Does he have a lot of room to grow? I think he does. I think he needs to get faster, though. He'll probably top out as a #3 defenseman and could be a good power play QB.

And he's even willing to hit people.

If Klein is gone, I want Koistinen to be our #7 this year and take a full spot next year. The only condition is that he HAS to be more consistent. Look at Zanon: he was a pretty consistent guy and he beat out Lehtonen for a spot in October of 06. That's what Koistinen has to do... except he's way better than Zanon could ever hope to be.

Last edited by worstfaceoffmanever: 06-05-2008 at 03:50 PM.
worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 09:49 AM
Phenomenon

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
And he's even willing to hit people.
Koistinen (although a relatively small player) was famous of his open-ice hits in FNL. He has a good balance and skates well, so he was able surprise opponents with his hip tackle. His style, however, was very risky and I believe he is trying nowadays to play more less-risk game.

Koistinen has said that Preds´are would like to have him back. If he is not resigned, there are several big Euro teams that are most likely willing to pay his services a lot.

Phenomenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 10:27 AM
Pringles

how about Klein, what went wrong with him this year? when i read his profile i wonder why didn't he make the roster... but then i thought the same thing about Ville.

Pringles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 10:36 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens fan in Toronto View Post
how about Klein, what went wrong with him this year? when i read his profile i wonder why didn't he make the roster... but then i thought the same thing about Ville.
Klein was injured in training camp (separated shoulder) and missed out on his chance to battle it out for a position in the lineup. He was then injured in one of his first games back (I think it was his other shoulder) and by the time he had recovered...he was so far behind everyone else on the depth chart. The other major contributing factor to Klein not getting a chance was that beyond Klein's own injuries...our defensive corps stayed relatively healthy last season (Klein was injured too during Weber's extended stints on IR). He will have another shot to make the team (and hopefully they open up at least one spot this summer for either Ville or KK to battle for).

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 12:15 PM
Pringles

So both of them are RFAs, what would you guys expect them to be getting

Old
06-06-2008, 01:06 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
So both of them are RFAs, what would you guys expect them to be getting
Klein has no leverage, nor does he have any resume to fall back on either. He will get his qualifying offer (110% of 2007-08 salary) and have to be happy with it. I also can't see Koistinen getting that much more than his QO, but then again, he will be able to leverage the Predators with offers from Europe and therefore I suspect he will get a little bit more than his QO.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 01:10 PM
dulzhok

If I was a GM of another team, I would come in an make an offer sheet to both Klein and Kosisten. Offer Kosisten 3 yr and 1.2 million or something. I think the compensation is only a 3rd rounder.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 08:12 AM
Pringles

Well being a sens fan i would love to see either of them as the 5th or 6th defender. but as a nashville fan I almost think the preds are better off trading Suter for a forward and keeping both of the lesser known RFAs.

Old
06-09-2008, 09:14 AM
predhead1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
If I was a GM of another team, I would come in an make an offer sheet to both Klein and Kosisten. Offer Kosisten 3 yr and 1.2 million or something. I think the compensation is only a 3rd rounder.
I would be very surprised if both of these guys didn't receive an offer sheet.

predhead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 11:24 AM
AirborneVirus

Quote:
but as a nashville fan I almost think the preds are better off trading Suter for a forward and keeping both of the lesser known RFAs.
YES

Suter's game seems to have hit a wall, yet Ville's was only getting better as he was getting more playing time.

AirborneVirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 12:08 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirborneVirus View Post
YES

Suter's game seems to have hit a wall, yet Ville's was only getting better as he was getting more playing time.
I don't think Suter's game has "hit a wall.' I think he was one of our best players in the playoffs...I just think we have to deal from a position of wealth. If we could get a comparable young forward for him...I would like to do it. But to say Koistinen will be better than Suter when he's shown no indication of such is a little premature.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 12:34 PM
Pringles

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirborneVirus View Post
YES

I haven't seen Suter hit a wall as far as progress goes (but it has slowed down) but as far as a salary cap goes it would be better to trade him now to someone like buffalo for say Stafford. Nashville gets 2 more years of a cheap salary and a potentially great winger while Buffalo tries to rebuild its defense corp.

Old
06-09-2008, 03:53 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by predhead1 View Post
I would be very surprised if both of these guys didn't receive an offer sheet.
I would. They've proven very little at the NHL level.

Old
06-09-2008, 04:07 PM
predhead1

Quote:
I would. They've proven very little at the NHL level.
Both of them have proven enough to be worth a 3rd round pick. Not sure if any GM is willing to risk losing a 2nd round pick for them, but certainly an offer of 750k for Klein or Koistenen isn't beyond reach for most teams and would only result in the loss of a 3rd rounder.

Old
06-09-2008, 05:23 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
I haven't seen Suter hit a wall as far as progress goes (but it has slowed down) but as far as a salary cap goes it would be better to trade him now to someone like buffalo for say Stafford. Nashville gets 2 more years of a cheap salary and a potentially great winger while Buffalo tries to rebuild its defense corp.
That would be a poor trade IMO. I actually think each of the past two years, Suter has been our 2nd best to best defenseman down the stretch and in the playoffs. Stafford does not come close to equating his value to the team.

06-09-2008, 11:36 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Both of them have proven enough to be worth a 3rd round pick. Not sure if any GM is willing to risk losing a 2nd round pick for them, but certainly an offer of 750k for Klein or Koistenen isn't beyond reach for most teams and would only result in the loss of a 3rd rounder.
And it's immediately going to get matched at $750k, so isn't it kinda futile?

Old
06-10-2008, 02:59 PM
oreilly22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
That would be a poor trade IMO. I actually think each of the past two years, Suter has been our 2nd best to best defenseman down the stretch and in the playoffs. Stafford does not come close to equating his value to the team.
Exactly, everyone likes the sometimes flashy, huge hitting Weber, but as far as the defensive fundamentals of skating and positioning goes - Hammer and Suter have him beat.

oreilly22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 03:14 PM
predhead1

Quote:
And it's immediately going to get matched at $750k, so isn't it kinda futile?
I don't think it will immediately get matched. Assuming we're not carrying 8 defensmen on the roster next year, Poile could view this effectively as a trade of Klein or Koistenen for a third rounder. If he signs both, something is going to force his hand to do a deal prior to the season opening, so if he doesn't have any better trade options, he might consider going this route.

Old
06-10-2008, 06:43 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
I don't think it will immediately get matched. Assuming we're not carrying 8 defensmen on the roster next year, Poile could view this effectively as a trade of Klein or Koistenen for a third rounder. If he signs both, something is going to force his hand to do a deal prior to the season opening, so if he doesn't have any better trade options, he might consider going this route.
Well when you put it that way it sounds far more enticing.

Old
06-11-2008, 06:30 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by oreilly22 View Post
Exactly, everyone likes the sometimes flashy, huge hitting Weber, but as far as the defensive fundamentals of skating and positioning goes - Hammer and Suter have him beat.
Hamhuis yes, Suter no.

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 01:19 PM
AirborneVirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by oreilly22 View Post
Did you mean to say Zanon instead of Suter?

AirborneVirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 01:40 PM
lugnut76

IMO, if the Preds are committed to keeping Zidlicky and getting the best from him, they must keep Koistinen. Zids was a completely different player when paired with VK. To get the highest return on investment on the Zidlicky contract you have to pair him with Koistinen (which isn't a bad thing).

lugnut76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 02:38 PM
Pringles

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugnut76 View Post
IMO, if the Preds are committed to keeping Zidlicky and getting the best from him, they must keep Koistinen.
So what two guys are you going to let go on the blue line? Klein seems to be the obvious one to let go if an offersheet comes but who else?

Besides Suter, Weber, Koistinen and Zidlicky...
Zanon - would be the easy choice but he is cost effective.
De Vries - is the oldest and might be able to be moved.
Hamhuis - would probably net the most in a trade

Old
06-11-2008, 02:59 PM
lugnut76

I don't think we need to lose two. I think Nashville will only lose one of the eight defensemen, and then next year look to unload De Vries and/or Zanon to make room for the younger players. I would prefer to see one of De Vries or Zanon moved this year to make room for Klein, but I think Klein might be the odd man out this year.

lugnut76 is offline   Reply With Quote