HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs Rumors

Old
06-09-2008, 01:02 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

vCash: 500
Demitra rumour? Maybe that's what we could expect from Gainey...

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 02:09 PM
LastRide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
You can put a paragraph or two... just not the whole thing...
I thought it would be better to just add links, but I put a couple paragraphs in anyways.

The Habs are in tough trying to land FA's. I think its the language barrier players don't want to deal with. Montreal is arguably the best hockey city in the NHL. Some of these players have family's so its a big change to them going to a French speaking city. Then you have whimps like Brier who can't handle a little heat. Regardless, its going to be interesting on what happens in the next little while. The Habs are having problems landing some big fish last few or more years.

LastRide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 02:13 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastRide View Post
I thought it would be better to just add links, but I put a couple paragraphs in anyways.

The Habs are in tough trying to land FA's. I think its the language barrier players don't want to deal with. Montreal is arguably the best hockey city in the NHL. Some og these players have family's so its a big change to them. Then you have whimps like Brier who can't handle a little heat. Regardless, it sgoing to be interesting on what happens in the next little while. Its been a few years the Habs are having problems landing some big fish.
My french isn't very good at all, and I have no problems whenever I go to Montreal. Most people there are bilingual, so not speaking french shouldn't be a problem.

- Ken Dryden
Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 02:18 PM
Bullsmith

Who else are going to be big bidders this year? Gainey's clearly said he's looking to add an impact player, who else has budget and intention?

Toronto, Philly and NYR seem likely to be quiet this year. Anaheim too, maybe. Who's shopping?

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 02:20 PM
LastRide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
My french isn't very good at all, and I have no problems whenever I go to Montreal. Most people there are bilingual, so not speaking french shouldn't be a problem.
Yes, but they don't all think like that. If they have kids they have to enroll them in an English school. I also know people who have had a hard time communicating in Montreal until they found someone who spoke english well, and these were buisnesses. Taxes is another issue.

LastRide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 02:26 PM
David_99

Quote:
Yes, but they don't all think like that. If they have kids they have to enroll them in an English school. I also know people who have had a hard time communicating in Montreal until they found someone who spoke english well, and these were buisnesses. Taxes is another issue.
Our Russians don't seem to mind. I wonder if any of our players are friends with any of the UFA this year. They could call and ask what it's like before they knock it.

David_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 02:29 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
A lot of the players have their kids in private schools, so language shouldn't really be a problem there.

Communication could be a problem in some instances, not everyone is 100% bilingual. But it's not like it was years ago, where most people only spoke french, and even television/radio programing consisted of mainly french.

As for taxes, yes I agree they can be quite high and might have an effect on a players decision. But I also know some people who run companies in Montreal and a good accountant can really help with this issue.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 02:29 PM
Bullsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
Our Russians don't seem to mind. I wonder if any of our players are friends with any of the UFA this year. They could call and ask what it's like before they knock it.
Cold weather and high taxes aren't going to shock northern Europeans. Montreal's the closest thing to home in the NHL for them.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 03:05 PM
benji
Took too much, man.

Send a message via MSN to benji
I'll be sad if the Habs even go after Redden It would be like Brisebois again, except the heat would appear a few months into the season rather than gradually over a few years like Breezer.

benji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 03:06 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by benji View Post
I'll be sad if the Habs even go after Redden
I wouldn't be sad if they offer him Mark Streit's spot and 3.5million.... a little more than what Streit should be offered.... but I wouldn't give Redden the 5mill+ he will likely get.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 03:19 PM
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks

vCash: 64
rumormethis.com ? Just another site trying to get traffic with Habs rumros if you ask me.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 04:15 PM
Eggbeater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Spirit View Post
Habs rumros
Scooby Doo is that you?

Eggbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 04:19 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by benji View Post
I'll be sad if the Habs even go after Redden It would be like Brisebois again, except the heat would appear a few months into the season rather than gradually over a few years like Breezer.
Depending on how much Redden would cost, i really wouldn't mind seeing him as our #4 Dman along side Hamrlik. That would give us 2 very legit D duos that could face any top line in the NHL. With a very good 3 pair as well O'byrne/Bouillon/Gorges.

I don't think Redden is finished, I just think life in Ottawa has gotten too distracting for him. Im sure he'll bounce back once he moves, but it really depends how much he'll be asking for.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 04:43 PM
benji
Took too much, man.

Send a message via MSN to benji
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
I wouldn't be sad if they offer him Mark Streit's spot and 3.5million.... a little more than what Streit should be offered.... but I wouldn't give Redden the 5mill+ he will likely get.
Well I'm already assuming that he's going to get 5-6 million somewhere. If somehow he could sign for 3-3.5 million, that would be great, but I don't think he can be expected to be a 5-6-7 million dollar defenseman.

benji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 05:17 PM
Raskolnikov76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
Communication could be a problem in some instances, not everyone is 100% bilingual. But it's not like it was years ago, where most people only spoke french, and even television/radio programing consisted of mainly french. .
Some decades ago, despite that the french speaking population were the huge majority in Montreal, it was impossible to get served in french in downtown montreal.

Speak white they said.

Raskolnikov76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 05:50 PM
HabsoluteFate

as interesting as this is the guy who wrote this needs to go to school for another few years (no offense if your reading this).

The quality of the writing makes Eklund look like an English major

HabsoluteFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 06:26 PM
Philanthropist

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsoluteFate View Post
as interesting as this is the guy who wrote this needs to go to school for another few years (no offense if your reading this).

The quality of the writing makes Eklund look like an English major
*you're

Philanthropist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 06:40 PM
HabsoluteFate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAbbott View Post
*you're
apparently i'm no english major myself That's ok I have no blog that I know of

HabsoluteFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 07:04 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchise player View Post
when was the last time a habs rumor came true???
Hossa .

There was a rumour about Gainey TRYING to get Hossa , and the rumor came true after the dead line ; Gainey confirmed that he TRIED . Same about Briere .... .

Last summer there was a rumour saying that Souray wasn't going to resign with the Habs . Rumours were also saying that Markov was going to resign here .

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 10:33 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

I am not a huge fan of Redden. But if I had to choose between re-signing Streit or signing Redden for much more, I'd take Redden. Redden is still a bona fide top 4, all-situation D-man. Streit still can't reliably play a regular shift in the top 6 on defence.

To me, signing Redden at a price of 6 million or so would be like the Hamrlik signing last year. Overpaid, sure. But you're still getting a known quantity that can play 20+ mins a game in your top 4. I just think that signing Streit at 2.5 or 3 million is throwing money away. Spending even twice that amount on Redden is spending more wisely.

At least you get a real top 4 defenceman, and I doubt that you'd lose much, if any production on the PP.

Souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 10:37 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomash Plecanets View Post
Scooby Doo is that you?
I loled. Nice mental image.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 10:40 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave View Post
I am not a huge fan of Redden. But if I had to choose between re-signing Streit or signing Redden for much more, I'd take Redden. Redden is still a bona fide top 4, all-situation D-man. Streit still can't reliably play a regular shift in the top 6 on defence.

To me, signing Redden at a price of 6 million or so would be like the Hamrlik signing last year. Overpaid, sure. But you're still getting a known quantity that can play 20+ mins a game in your top 4. I just think that signing Streit at 2.5 or 3 million is throwing money away. Spending even twice that amount on Redden is spending more wisely.

At least you get a real top 4 defenceman, and I doubt that you'd lose much, if any production on the PP.
If you're going to spend that much on a defenceman, go for Campbell who is much better. Wade has seen better days and backs down as soon as play gets physical.

le_sean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 11:08 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
If you're going to spend that much on a defenceman, go for Campbell who is much better. Wade has seen better days and backs down as soon as play gets physical.
Maybe, but I don't understand the ooo-la-la-ness surrounding Campbell. He's a pretty good puck rushing defenceman. But he's not physical at all, and I don't see him as an extraordinary offensive threat. I think he's a guy who needs a particular system and teammates to flourish. And if he's asking for 8 million, then my goodness that's ridiculous. Let him go to Atlanta.

As for Redden, he could be on the downside of his career. But the guy is still pretty young as far as NHL defencemen go. Even 38 year old Augroin showed that he had something left. He might just need a change. There was bad mojo on that Ottawa team. Also, and I don't want to exaggerate this, but having a goalie like Price who can play the puck can really help defencemen who would otherwise get run all season long. From what I recall, Gerber is a pretty lousy puckhandling goalie, which makes a guy like Redden an easy and oft-abused target.

The problem with signing big name defencemen is that you have to pay so much even for a guy who has warts somewhere on his game. I use the Hamrlik example again: he was too old, too slow, too this, too that. By the end of the season, he established himself as one of the best top 3 defencemen the Habs have had in a long time. Yet he's still all of those things. But that overall stability was, I think, well worth the 5.5 million, at least in year 1 of 4.

Anyway, like I said, I'm not crazy about Redden. I'm not crazy about Campbell either, especially not for premium UFA money. The rest have their own warts. I just think that Redden is a credible option, and one that I prefer instead of re-signing Streit.

Souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 11:12 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave View Post

I'd be surprised if he gets more then $3.5M he's realy played bad the last couple of seasons. And he's played realy soft to boot.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 11:29 PM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
I'd be surprised if he gets more then $3.5M he's realy played bad the last couple of seasons. And he's played realy soft to boot.
He is still decently young and the quality of the UFA defence is very, very weak. I will not be surprised if he does get over $5 mill even though he deserves around $3.5. I also wouldn't be surprised if we see Redden rebound and turn his career around with another team.

Andrighetto Fabolous is online now   Reply With Quote