HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bye Bye CBC HNIC Theme...Hello TSN Hockey Theme (CTV Wins Rights to "Hockey Song")

Old
06-09-2008, 06:33 PM
Lucius

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
yeah without government funding we wouldn't have shows like Trailer Park Boys or Kenny VS Spenny

But it does appear CBC is going downhill
Neither of which is on the CBC.

Telefilm and CBC are two different things.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 06:36 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

I'm actually excited to hear this on RDS.

Sined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 06:37 PM
bipolarhabfan

CBCs hockey coverage has been slipping big time over the past few years. Its decisions such as this that boggle the mind. They keep mister senility himself but not a song that is more cherished that a man in wacky suits. Anyways, I am not too displeased. I almost exclusively watch my hockey on RDS even though I have difficulties in understanding French.

bipolarhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 06:41 PM
HabsoluteFate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
I'm actually excited to hear this on RDS.
me too...it was the one thing i missed the most about SRC...

HabsoluteFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 06:45 PM
bipolarhabfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimus2861 View Post
5 years ago, would you have said the same about SRC losing the rights to the Canadiens in French?

Yet look what we have today - SRC is out of the hockey picture all together, RDS is doing incredible business coast to coast, and Canadiens fans couldn't be happier.

3/11/2006 convinced me that HNIC is beyond saving. Let it - and CBC television - die.
I watch all my Habs hockey on RDS even if the game is on CBC. Cant stand the coverage on CBC. Don Cherry = . He irritates the hell out of me.

BTW, what happened on that date?

Old
06-09-2008, 06:51 PM
Roke

Quote:
Originally Posted by bipolarhabfan View Post
I watch all my Habs hockey on RDS even if the game is on CBC. Cant stand the coverage on CBC. Don Cherry = . He irritates the hell out of me.

BTW, what happened on that date?

Boom-Boom Geoffrion's number was retired and CBC did not show the ceremony at all. One of the most emotional sports-related 'events' (terrible word to use, I know, but I can't think of a better one at the moment) I've seen as his family was all there and he had passed away that day.

Roke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 06:55 PM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisk-Illusion View Post
I hope CBC shuts down as soon as possible, and its not because I have anything against the channel or its content.

I just don't think that tax dollars should pay for a TV station. I'd rather we spend that money on more meaningful things.

I wonder what the result would be if someone was to start a "should public dollars stop founding CBC" poll on this site.
So, you would prefer your news to come from private corporations? You would prefer there to be no publically funded, publically controlled (The public in Canada just does a very, very pathetic job getting their voice across and allows the minority interest groups who know how to do it to control that) television in Canada?

Some people need to consider that, you know, its not just Hockey on CBC.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 07:01 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
OMG PEOPLE ON A HOCKEY BOARD CARE ABOUT A HOCKEY RELATED ISSUE....SURELY THEY DONT CARE ABOUT OTHER ISSUES LIKE POLITICS AND HEALTH CARE.

It's a god damn hockey board. If I want to talk health care I dont do it here....
Not talking about this board, its in every fricken paper and the front page of Yahoo. The National starts off with this news as its lead story, and finishes with one of our soldiers dying. Its gotten the nation more riled up than sending our men and women to Afghanistan.

You haven't seen this retarded country in this much of an uproar since Ron MacLean's contract wasn't renewed in 2002.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 07:02 PM
bipolarhabfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roke View Post
Boom-Boom Geoffrion's number was retired and CBC did not show the ceremony at all. One of the most emotional sports-related 'events' (terrible word to use, I know, but I can't think of a better one at the moment) I've seen as his family was all there and he had passed away that day.
That jogged my memory. I remember having to watch that emotional ceremony on RDS. No mention of it on CBC.

Old
06-09-2008, 07:04 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Not talking about this board, its in every fricken paper and the front page of Yahoo. The National starts off with this news as its lead story, and finishes with one of our soldiers dying. Its gotten the nation more riled up than sending our men and women to Afghanistan.

You haven't seen this retarded country in this much of an uproar since Ron MacLean's contract wasn't renewed in 2002.
Hockey is a huge part of the countrie's identity. The Hockey Night In Canada theme rivals our natinal anthem in popularity. Anything that affects in anyway the country identy or perception of it will cause interest.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 07:09 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
Hockey is a huge part of the countrie's identity. The Hockey Night In Canada theme rivals our natinal anthem in popularity.
I think this is slightly exaggerated, the song isn't that old compared to the history of HNIC.

Quote:
Anything that affects in anyway the country identy or perception of it will cause interest.
So, we agree.. dead soldiers don't effect people like HNIC. What a country we live in.

Old
06-09-2008, 07:10 PM
Brisk-Illusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
See, there I disagree. It is important for governments not to just concentrate on basic needs, but for a society to grow, you need to grow the society's culture.

Part of that is public broadcasting. It provides a home to grow the culture and artists. For example, without it, we wouldn't have a lot of the comedians we do in Canada.

Now, as to the contents of what's on it, I think a lot of what they do fund is crap, which is a flaw. But that's largely personal taste.

I think they should actually get out of the news business and get into the entertainment business. Show movies, TV shows, comedians, opinion, talk shows, sports, etc. from Canada and Canadians only.

Too often, they show Disney movies and concentrate on news, which while interesting and I am fully convinced independent, is not the place of a public broadcaster in my opinion.
I would argue that the private sector can provide most, if not all things better than the public one, and that a free-market TV environment is best for the artists and the viewers.

Instead of having a panel of government employees decide what is worth broadcasting and what isn't, I think the viewers who pay for the entertainment should do it via the free-market.

Public entertainment is nice and all, but it raises taxes and makes it less likely for an individual to spend money investing in a private domain. CTV/TSN/TSN are all private and offer much better quality than CBC, having more of them is better for everyone, including the artists that would have depended on CBC before.

Here's my last point, all government is force, it forces you to do certain things and act a certain way to keep an free and civil society, do you think forcing citizens to provide entertainment falls into that category ?

Would it be ok with you if the company who owns CTV sent out a bill to everyone in Canada, regardless if they receive it or not, forcing them to pay for their expenses ? And if no, then why are you ok with the CBC doing the same thing ?

Brisk-Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 07:11 PM
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:

Hockey is the common thread of this nation. Its Canada's religion through and through.

And HNIC was its vaticant and for the longest time. So accept the fact that the masses are very interested in what goes on in regards to the institution that brough live hockey to every television accross this great nation of ours.

As for the retarded comment, hockey is our sport...check out the soccer nations during the world cup or as is at the present time, Euro Cup. They go ape **** over all that involves their clubs/nations/players/etc

If you loathe this country so much, you have a couple hundred others to choose from.

Old
06-09-2008, 07:34 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Chezz View Post
Hockey is the common thread of this nation. Its Canada's religion through and through.

And HNIC was its vaticant and for the longest time. So accept the fact that the masses are very interested in what goes on in regards to the institution that brough live hockey to every television accross this great nation of ours.

As for the retarded comment, hockey is our sport...check out the soccer nations during the world cup or as is at the present time, Euro Cup. They go ape **** over all that involves their clubs/nations/players/etc

If you loathe this country so much, you have a couple hundred others to choose from.
Good post.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 07:42 PM
sampollock

i knew tsn would screw cbc,

once again cbc losing ground to tsn,

before long saturday nite's will be reruns of cornation street, instead of hnic

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 07:49 PM
David_99

Quote:
So, we agree.. dead soldiers don't effect people like HNIC. What a country we live in.
Is it really that bliss?

David_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 07:50 PM
Al Bundy*

First CBC loses Cuthbert, then the sacred HNIC song.

What's next- are they gonna change their 'globe' logo to that a Canadian Geese?

Al Bundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 07:51 PM
David_99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Bundy View Post
First CBC loses Cuthbert, then the sacred HNIC song.

What's next- are they gonna change their 'globe' logo to that a Canadian Geese?
Cherry will retire and they'll be forced to get Pat Quinn to be the new Coach in the Corner.

David_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 07:57 PM
ReVeuF

I can't wait to have this song beginning the game at RDS a Saturday night ...

ReVeuF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 07:59 PM
Guy Caballero

CTV acquiring the theme is a great development, IMO, since almost all the games I watch are on either RDS or TSN. The only time I ever watch HNIC are playoffs and the odd game when the Leafs aren't playing at 7 pm.

CBC dropped the ball big time, and they look like fools. You can't even make the money argument, since they're paying Don Cherry 7 figures to spew racist crap and ignorance.

My bet on the new CBC theme: an embarrassing hard rock version of the Stompin Tom Connors hockey song.

Guy Caballero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 08:41 PM
sampollock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Caballero View Post
CTV acquiring the theme is a great development, IMO, since almost all the games I watch are on either RDS or TSN. The only time I ever watch HNIC are playoffs and the odd game when the Leafs aren't playing at 7 pm.

CBC dropped the ball big time, and they look like fools. You can't even make the money argument, since they're paying Don Cherry 7 figures to spew racist crap and ignorance.

My bet on the new CBC theme: an embarrassing hard rock version of the Stompin Tom Connors hockey song.
agrred guy,

cbc keeps making goof ups, and soon tsn will have saturday nite hockey too, and bob cole can go and report on harry neales fruit stand sales

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 08:56 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Chezz View Post
...and dropping a theme song from the broadcast still doesn't change this.

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
I love the country, shake my head at the people who can't live without a theme song. OMG! Change! Change! Not change! How will I go on with a new song opening HNIC!

Where did I say I hate Canada? Are you just one of those tards that makes up **** as you go along?

Old
06-09-2008, 09:03 PM
JrHockeyFan

I've been watching hockey since the 60's and i have heard that tune too often to even guess how many times. However, I really don't care if they play it before games or not. It is window dressing. And if the 2.5mm price tag that was asked for was correct, I can't say I blame CBC for letting the option slide

It's just not that important

I mean is somebody going to watch more hockey elsewhere just because the tune is played there? It will always be the hockey for me

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 09:10 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
I've been watching hockey since the 60's and i have heard that tune too often to even guess how many times. However, I really don't care if they play it before games or not. It is window dressing. And if the 2.5mm price tag that was asked for was correct, I can't say I blame CBC for letting the option slide

It's just not that important

I mean is somebody going to watch more hockey elsewhere just because the tune is played there? It will always be the hockey for me
Agreed...but watch out for the bleeding hearts who love the song as much as the game...all this foolishness boggles my mind, and I have been a fan for 40 years of the Habs, but honestly couldn't care less what tune is playing for the network who broadcasts...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 09:44 PM
madbox

This couldn't have worked out better. Hockey's best theme song moving to a far superior network in which audiences only continue to grow. Being able to hear it on a nightly basis from now on, wicked.

madbox is offline   Reply With Quote