HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Locker Room worries?

Old
06-09-2008, 07:14 PM
newyorkrangers11

vCash: 500
Locker Room worries?

With Shanahan gone, that alone is a big hit to our locker room. He was a great role model, a great player and a great guy. A lot of players looked up to him. I will probably get hounded for this next comment cause no1 knows what will happen. But if Jagr doesn't get signed.. is anyone else a little worried about how the locker room will be composed without the veterans there. Say Straka, Rozsival, Jagr, and Shanahan are all gone... that leaves Drury and Gomer to be the go to guys at intermission. I don't know how I feel about that. Lets hear it about how I should have made this post after July 1st.

newyorkrangers11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 07:16 PM
Smashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorkrangers11 View Post
With Shanahan gone, that alone is a big hit to our locker room. He was a great role model, a great player and a great guy. A lot of players looked up to him. I will probably get hounded for this next comment cause no1 knows what will happen. But if Jagr doesn't get signed.. is anyone else a little worried about how the locker room will be composed without the veterans there. Say Straka, Rozsival, Jagr, and Shanahan are all gone... that leaves Drury and Gomer to be the go to guys at intermission. I don't know how I feel about that. Lets hear it about how I should have made this post after July 1st.
When was this a definite? I didn't hear anything...

Smashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 07:22 PM
otto1219

Quote:
i dont know how big of a deal straka and rosival are. like a previous post, shanahan still can come back. But if anything, this might unite the locker room more with 3 czech players leaving, leaving most of the team very capable of speaking clear concise english.

otto1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 07:23 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
No worries here for me, Dru and Gomer are great with the younger guys and they are both leaders. Also, If all those guys truly are gone. I would be completely shocked if not a single Veteran leader was brought in...not to mention Struds may be back as a utility player again and he's rumored to be great in the locker room. Heck, I can even see guys like Dubinsky and Girardi stepping up as vocal leaders...

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 07:25 PM
newyorkrangers11

"Shannahan: F- He was finished long before these playoffs started."

Just saying, he looked so gassed down the stretch. That blazingly quick release of his suddenly became not so impressive. That shot of his in the shootouts, started not looking so sharp. I can't find anywhere when he said that he was going to retire, but I definently read it somewhere.

Old
06-09-2008, 07:29 PM
otto1219

Quote:
"Shannahan: F- He was finished long before these playoffs started."

Just saying, he looked so gassed down the stretch. That blazingly quick release of his suddenly became not so impressive. That shot of his in the shootouts, started not looking so sharp. I can't find anywhere when he said that he was going to retire, but I definently read it somewhere.
he never said he was retiring, he was in fact he said he would more than likely come back with a much lesser role if offered. If not the rangers, another team will certainly offer him a spot, if he does come back to the rangers, he could play third line and powerplay time. He is certainly vital to the team the same way a gary roberts was to pitt. Tons of experience, leadership, and lessons still to be taught.

Old
06-09-2008, 07:31 PM
NYR Viper

drury is on par with shanahan as far as leadership goes.....he talks when he needs to and i think he will step up even more without all of the personalities in the locker room...gomez i think came to the rangers to be the #1 center and to be a leader of this team...he will get that soon enough

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 07:31 PM
otto1219

5 points in 10 games in the playoffs isnt really that bad either, hell drury had 6 with much more playing time.

Old
06-09-2008, 07:44 PM
newyorkrangers11

Yes he is still undecided, but if you go to the trade rumor thread, look at my latest post i posted a link to an article from NHL.com where Shanahan says he is undecided, and unsure if he is physically up to it. Regardless of his numbers although (numbers do not and cannot lie) he just didnt look like the Shanahan we know and love. At least to me.

Old
06-09-2008, 07:51 PM
otto1219

he was on the team for 2 years.... he never really shined for us. My point is, i think he has a better chance of staying on this team than rosival or straka.

Old
06-09-2008, 08:09 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by otto1219 View Post
he was on the team for 2 years.... he never really shined for us. My point is, i think he has a better chance of staying on this team than rosival or straka.
screw rozsival. id rather resign mara, mara would be cheaper and plays more physical and better defensivly. he also can chip in a little offense and has a mean streak.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ee2g3ANY4VA&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ee2g3ANY4VA&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object> i wish mara would fight more as a ranger.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 08:10 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by otto1219 View Post
screw rozsival. id rather resign mara, mara would be cheaper and plays more physical and better defensivly. he also can chip in a little offense and has a mean streak. i wish mara would fight more as a ranger. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ee2g3ANY4VA

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 08:13 PM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
I don't have any worries about the locker room. Part of the reason Drury and Gomez were paid so much was for what they give you off the ice as well as on. And young guys like Dubinsky, Callahan and Girardi definitely seem to have their heads on straight.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 08:18 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCallahan43 View Post
screw rozsival. id rather resign mara, mara would be cheaper and plays more physical and better defensivly. he also can chip in a little offense and has a mean streak. i wish mara would fight more as a ranger. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ee2g3ANY4VA
honestly, i wouldnt sign either of them and i would push hard for redden as he fills the larger need of a #1 defenseman who can move the puck on the pp

Old
06-09-2008, 08:21 PM
newyorkrangers11

I'd rather re-sign Rozsival, then sign solid physical defensemen... Re-sign Rozsival with one condition.... tape a big sign on his head saying SHOOT THE PUCK

Old
06-09-2008, 08:31 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
I'd rather re-sign Rozsival, then sign solid physical defensemen... Re-sign Rozsival with one condition.... tape a big sign on his head saying SHOOT THE PUCK
he wont....he doesnt have the confidence with his shot.....i would rather sign redden who can set others up...thats what the defense has lacked....rozsival, girardi, tyutin can all shoot the puck...its that no one was able to control the play or the puck to make the pass thats needed or the shot that makes the right play......rozsival will be looking for over 5 million most likely, as he thinks he is a legit #1 in the nhl....with that money i would sign redden and actually, for the first time since leetch have a legit #1 puck-moving, pp qb with some leadership abilities

Old
06-09-2008, 09:45 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Chris Drury is the next Captain of the NY Rangers. It may be in 3 years , it may be next year but it will be so.

06-09-2008, 10:50 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashley View Post
When was this a definite? I didn't hear anything...
Nothing definitive, but I've heard he's not happy with what the Rangers are offering.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 10:53 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Shannys leadership is perhaps the most overblown thing in Rangers land. Where was this leadership in Game 1 when the Penguins scored their second goal of the game? Where was his leadership before OT in game 5? Shannys "intangibles" don't make him any younger and don't make him a fit going forward.

The Rangers locker room chemistry comes down to the coaching staff more than anything a player says to another player. If guys are used right and held accountable the other things fall into place.

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 09:55 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
Shannys leadership is perhaps the most overblown thing in Rangers land. Where was this leadership in Game 1 when the Penguins scored their second goal of the game? Where was his leadership before OT in game 5? Shannys "intangibles" don't make him any younger and don't make him a fit going forward.

The Rangers locker room chemistry comes down to the coaching staff more than anything a player says to another player. If guys are used right and held accountable the other things fall into place.
thats it right there....drury as the captain of the sabres held everyone accountable, which is why that team was so good....he was able to get in players faces and hold them accountable...which i dont think he feels comfortable doing with players like jagr and shanny here....i say get rid of them borth, hand the team over to drury and gomez and sign redden as that is a large need in the organization and if a trade pops up for a goal scorer go for it, however i definatley dont want shanny back...too old....too slow....too one dimensional

Old
06-10-2008, 10:19 AM
chosen

As long as Avery is in the locker room I'll live with the belief that there might be a problem.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 11:13 AM
Vitto79

I concur, Shanny is gone but I am glad they had him

the PP really falters when they always focus on Shanny and Jags

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 11:15 AM
Fletch

SoS...

some things don't just fall into place. We overestimate/underestimate the locker room presence of players because most of us have never been at game one of a playoff round and been in the locker room to hear what guys, other than the coaches, are saying and how that affects people's play on the ice. When they lose, some quickly point out, "where was the so-called leadership," when perhaps the team just wasn't good enough but perhaps that leadershpi is what put them over the top to at least be in that situation at that point.

We don't know how Dubi was affected by being in the same locker room as Shanny. We don't know if Drury transitioned better into a situation where Jagr's captain but Shanny's there and Drury's obviously a vocal guy. We don't know if Avery would've spun out of control without Shanny there. Perhaps Shanny was a calming influence on Staal, and Girardi, or perhaps others; who really knows, we do not.

What I do know is that Chris Osgood mentioned two leaders when he was first interviewed following winning the Stanley Cup - and one name was Shanny and he pointed out his leadership - to me, that says a heck of a lot, and this is coming from someone who's usually skeptical when it comes to something I can't feel, see or touch. Shanny must've done something right in the past for the Stanley Cup winning goaltender to mention his name at a time when you mention so few.

This doesn't mean bring him back, this just means that there may be something to this locker room thing that we'd have to trust the coaches and GM to determine its value.

On the ice, I think it's a no brainer than Shanny lost a lot and isn't the kind of guy wh ocan play 82 games plus playoff and 15 minutes a night, let alone the 20 minutes per night he was regularly getting.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 12:44 PM
Stormer

Remember that Dubi,Cally,Dawes, Girardi and Staal were Capt.'s on their Jr. Teams so there must be some learnings as well as personal leadership traits. I am sure they are learnig at the higher level what it takes to be leaders but they all possess that leadership trait which help them keep their heads straight. We are pretty lucky to have this quality in the people of our future

Stormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 01:31 PM
mti79

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
he wont....he doesnt have the confidence with his shot.....i would rather sign redden who can set others up...thats what the defense has lacked....rozsival, girardi, tyutin can all shoot the puck...its that no one was able to control the play or the puck to make the pass thats needed or the shot that makes the right play......rozsival will be looking for over 5 million most likely, as he thinks he is a legit #1 in the nhl....with that money i would sign redden and actually, for the first time since leetch have a legit #1 puck-moving, pp qb with some leadership abilities
yes.... but can he hit the net with any of his shots?

mti79 is offline   Reply With Quote