HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

2008 Draft Thread

Closed Thread

Old
06-09-2008, 09:21 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if they traded down a few spots.
I think both LA and PHX are primed to try to move - sounds like PHX likes Colborne and might try to move up to get him by packaging a bunch of 2nd rounders.

Quote:
Right now, from what I've heard, I don't think they'll move up unless they feel they can get a player in the 10-15 range that they MUST have.
I just don't see anyone worth giving up mega-assets for, especially since it appears to be a deep draft...if the player the rangers like isn't on the board, I'd be happy moving down and grabbing extra 2nd round picks.

Quote:
The top seven picks are pretty set, it'll be interesting to see if there are any moves afterwards because a lot of teams have VERY different looking lists.
Tyler Myers seems to be the wild card...some people have claimed he could go top five; otherwise he may drop down to Chicago. And who knows who this year's Thomas Hickey will be

Quote:
I've heard of Beach being as high as fifth for some teams and as low as 28 for others.

I've heard of Teubert as high as 10 and as low as 25.
The Rangers have gotten pretty fortunate the last three years with players dropping into their laps.

Quote:
My gut tells me the Rangers like Carlson. My heart hopes they don't.
He seems to have a lot of buzz about him, especially after the combines. Going to the London Knights of the OHL, instead of U Mass, might also effect how teams look at him on draft day.

Last edited by jas: 06-09-2008 at 09:49 PM.
Old
06-09-2008, 09:26 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Looks like a good player.

We just have so many small guys.
Yea, but none with that level of skill.

Callahan is a 4th line player, he has limited offensive ability.

Dawes has good skill, but not at that level.

Also, he would not be ready to step in right away. You would figure he will play a 4th year with Medicine Hat and then go to the AHL. We are talking two years minimum before an NHL arrival.

We don't know that Prucha, Callahan, and Dawes are going to be here at that time.

IMO Prucha and Callahan should be dealt this year for a 2nd round pick. If we can get that for them.

I'm really not high on Callahan at all. He shows no offensive ability. It is OK to have guys for defensive purposes, but he should then be placed on the 4th line. That is where single digit goal scorers play: on the 4th line.

Dawes has enough skill and smarts to be a good NHL player. And he should stay, i don't care how small he is, he still scored 14 as a rook.

So, my point here is that a kid with the level of skill that Ennis has, you don't pass on him because of his size. Strength and weight are things that can be improved.

All you do to balance it is place him on a line with players that have decent size (but with skill) such as Dubinsky and/or Anisimov.

And after Dawes, Prucha, and Callahan, who do we have that is small?

Cherepanov and Korpikoski are not smallish. Cherepanov is over 6 feet tall and will fill out to about 190-200 lbs. Same with Korpikoski. They are about the same size.

I think we need to base our picks on skill and ability, not size. Jessiman was taken because he is big...

Old
06-09-2008, 09:45 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by PukkuMikku View Post
Yea, but none with that level of skill.

Callahan is a 4th line player, he has limited offensive ability.

Dawes has good skill, but not at that level.

Also, he would not be ready to step in right away. You would figure he will play a 4th year with Medicine Hat and then go to the AHL. We are talking two years minimum before an NHL arrival.

We don't know that Prucha, Callahan, and Dawes are going to be here at that time.

IMO Prucha and Callahan should be dealt this year for a 2nd round pick. If we can get that for them.

I'm really not high on Callahan at all. He shows no offensive ability. It is OK to have guys for defensive purposes, but he should then be placed on the 4th line. That is where single digit goal scorers play: on the 4th line.

Dawes has enough skill and smarts to be a good NHL player. And he should stay, i don't care how small he is, he still scored 14 as a rook.

So, my point here is that a kid with the level of skill that Ennis has, you don't pass on him because of his size. Strength and weight are things that can be improved.

All you do to balance it is place him on a line with players that have decent size (but with skill) such as Dubinsky and/or Anisimov.

And after Dawes, Prucha, and Callahan, who do we have that is small?

Cherepanov and Korpikoski are not smallish. Cherepanov is over 6 feet tall and will fill out to about 190-200 lbs. Same with Korpikoski. They are about the same size.

I think we need to base our picks on skill and ability, not size. Jessiman was taken because he is big...
we got size in hartford with dupont, byers and gratton. maybe gratton replaces hollweg. why else would the rangers take gratton in the montoya deal??

Old
06-09-2008, 09:56 PM
NYR425

I think both LA and PHX are primed to try to move - sounds like PHX likes Colborne and might try to move up to get him by packaging a bunch of 2nd rounders.

So what would you take for the 1(20) from LA or Pheonix......
\would 2 #2's do it, or would you ask for a #1 next season?

I personally was hoping to move up to 15, Nashville and draft either Tedenby, Beach if he falls or Teubert who I love. I believe a package of Prucha, Bourret ,our #2 in'8, #3 in '09 and Carolina #3 in '08 would do it. Allowing us to then deal our #1 (20) to either move down and get multiple picks this season or a 1 next season.

Old
06-09-2008, 10:03 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCallahan43 View Post
we got size in hartford with dupont, byers and gratton. maybe gratton replaces hollweg. why else would the rangers take gratton in the montoya deal??
It was because Orr was injured at the time.

I think it was more of a backup plan.

Not that Orr is a make or break player by any stretch.

Old
06-09-2008, 10:29 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by PukkuMikku View Post
It was because Orr was injured at the time.

I think it was more of a backup plan.

Not that Orr is a make or break player by any stretch.
i think gratton was taken because maybe they know that they will dump hollweg

Old
06-10-2008, 09:18 AM
Melrose_Jr.

As this thread reaches the 1000 post limit, I've copied the last (130) posts to a new thread, here, so that the discussion can continue uninterrupted.

Closed Thread